Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Welcome to Citro. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Racing at VCS to return
Topic Started: 11th June 2012 - 11:59 PM (508 Views)
JAYBO
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
DANVILLE — After almost two years of almost no activity, the sound of racing will be rocking the Vermilion County Speedway in July.

The show will be on July 8 and it will feature the Midwest Open Wheel Association Outlaw Winged Sprints, UMP Modifieds and UMP Street stocks.

Oakwood’s Brian Clendenen will promote the event after about a year of planning and ups and downs in getting some dates for the track.

“This started last year, when I was working with (former Vermilion County Fair Board President) Al Peeler to get races back here,” Clendenen said. “We tried to get something settled before he stepped down, but we could not get anything done.”

The waiting game continued for Clendenen but he got some help earlier this year.

“I found out that a friend of mine, Brad Kui, was named to the board and was named the new racetrack director and I wanted at first to give them advice about doing promotions, but they were not interested in that, so we took a different route.”

The different route was provided by the MOWA, who offered Clendenen a chance to fill in some dates for their season.

But Clendenen knows it will be tough to have a show come out of nowhere during the middle of the season.

“You will have tracks still having their races and special series,” Clendenen said. “So we have to get the word out now for the racers to make their schedule.”

The racers may not be the big problem for the new promoter; it will be people in the stands, a problem that promoters in later years at VCS faced in a big way.

“This is on a trial basis,” Clendenen said. “I have fans that are very enthusiastic about the track opening, but it does not matter unless we have people in the seats.

“If we have a good turnout, we are going to have more races, but it will not be a weekly business because other promoters have tried that and they have failed. So if this succeeds, we could try to have major events coming up next year like late models.”

While there have been tractor pulls and demolition derbies at the track, VCS had not had a race since October of 2010 and Clendenen is working hard to see that it will not be that long between races again.

“It has been tough, but things are starting to come together,” Clendenen said. “A lot of things will still have to be done to get ready for the eighth, but I think we will get things done

(drinks on me)
IF YOU CANT BEAT'EM DELETE'EM !
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · O/T DISCUSSIONS · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Theme created by Heretic/Hawtsauce and converted by Jenny of the ZetaBoards Theme Zone.
Myspace Comments
CITRO