Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Circle Versus Square. We hope you enjoy your visit.

As you are currently a guest, please log in or register. Note that due to spamming problems, you must include the word "Circle" or "Square" in your user name when you register; you can request to have that word removed as soon as your account is validated, which should take no more than three days.

Thanks for your effort and cooperation.

Please click here to register.

If you're already a member, log in here:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Remedial Pro-Square topic; Go Square!
Topic Started: Dec 16 2008, 02:48 PM (966 Views)
ASpieboy
Member Avatar
The Umbrageous
Due to the fact that the other topic has been taken over by chit-chat, this is a new topic only for Square.

[]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

rarisgod
Member Avatar
The Greatest of All Beings
Well done.

As for Square, I must comment on his excellent comeback today. While I will always side with Circle anyway, that's not to say I can't respect a good comeback.
Square

You're the insecure one with the moral compass.
It sounds like an old couple bickering while using excellent language, it's great!

Lady Nilstria of Circleshire
Member Avatar
Character
Well, everyone has a moral compass of some sort, so isn't Square practically calling himself insecure even though the barb is directed at Circle? Using geometric logic, Square is implying that anyone with a moral compass is insecure ([a=b and b=a] using symmetric property). Therefore, since Square does have a moral compass like everyone must (a=c), logically, he must be insecure (a=b and a=c therefore b=c).

If:
Moral compass = a
Insecure = b
Square = c

By this logic, Square is calling himself and everyone else in existence insecure.
Edited by Lady Nilstria of Circleshire, Dec 17 2008, 08:57 PM.

Sir Rhombus
Member Avatar
CIRCLE or SQUARE
Dec 17 2008, 08:56 PM
Well, everyone has a moral compass of some sort, so isn't Square practically calling himself insecure even though the barb is directed at Circle? Using geometric logic, Square is implying that anyone with a moral compass is insecure ([a=b and b=a] using symmetric property). Therefore, since Square does have a moral compass like everyone must (a=c), logically, he must be insecure (a=b and a=c therefore b=c).

If:
Moral compass = a
Insecure = b
Square = c

By this logic, Square is calling himself and everyone else in existence insecure.
Ah, but in geometry, I believe we would use congruency, not equality, to represent such a statement.

Not to mention Square never tries to say everyone who is insecure has a moral compass; just that Circle does.

However, I'm afraid I am a loyal follow of Triangle, personally. Therefore, I must take umbrage!

Member Avatar
Character
Sir Rhombus
Dec 17 2008, 11:14 PM
Ah, but in geometry, I believe we would use congruency, not equality, to represent such a statement.

Not to mention Square never tries to say everyone who is insecure has a moral compass; just that Circle does.

However, I'm afraid I am a loyal follow of Triangle, personally. Therefore, I must take umbrage!
I believe in geometry, we use congruence where things are congruent, and equality where things are equal.

The definition of congruent is:

1. equal in size and shape (in mathematics)
2 : superposable so as to be coincident throughout
3 : having the difference divisible by a given modulus <12 is congruent to 2 (modulo 5) since 12−2=25>

The definition of equal is:

1 a (1): of the same measure, quantity, amount, or number as another
(2): identical in mathematical value or logical denotation : equivalent b: like in quality, nature, or status c: like for each member of a group, class, or society
2: regarding or affecting all objects in the same way

I meant equal, and take umbrage that you implied I didn't know the difference between the two.

Sir Rhombus
Member Avatar
CIRCLE or SQUARE
Dec 18 2008, 02:40 AM
I believe in geometry, we use congruence where things are congruent, and equality where things are equal.

The definition of congruent is:

1. equal in size and shape (in mathematics)
2 : superposable so as to be coincident throughout
3 : having the difference divisible by a given modulus <12 is congruent to 2 (modulo 5) since 12−2=25>

The definition of equal is:

1 a (1): of the same measure, quantity, amount, or number as another
(2): identical in mathematical value or logical denotation : equivalent b: like in quality, nature, or status c: like for each member of a group, class, or society
2: regarding or affecting all objects in the same way

I meant equal, and take umbrage that you implied I didn't know the difference between the two.
Ah, but is a moral compass truly equal? As you say, equal means "2: regarding or affecting all objects in the same way." I feel it is safe to say Square is not affected the same way. After all, he is impervious to Circle's shaming. :3

I take umbrage at you taking umbrage, as well at taking umbrage for the unending cycle of umbrage that will spawn from our umbrage at one another, milady.

(YES I can finally start using milady around here! Expect to see that a lot, milady. Rolls off the tongue.)

ASpieboy
Member Avatar
The Umbrageous
Does Square even HAVE a moral compass? Not by his logic.

And he called Circle insecure seperately from the moral compass insult. This means that the two are unrelated.

Member Avatar
Character
Sir Rhombus
Dec 18 2008, 02:55 AM
Ah, but is a moral compass truly equal? As you say, equal means "2: regarding or affecting all objects in the same way." I feel it is safe to say Square is not affected the same way. After all, he is impervious to Circle's shaming. :3

I take umbrage at you taking umbrage, as well at taking umbrage for the unending cycle of umbrage that will spawn from our umbrage at one another, milady.

(YES I can finally start using milady around here! Expect to see that a lot, milady. Rolls off the tongue.)

ASpie:

Does Square even HAVE a moral compass? Not by his logic.
Is not the second definition of equal the one I was using, considering that I was using geometry to supplement my logic?

Yes, I agree, the word 'milady' does roll off the tongue quite nicely, enough to where I use it in my novel practically every chance I get. If you were going to use 'milady' as a way to irritate me, then I am afraid that you must get used to disappointment, Sir Equilateral Parallelogram. (I must be honest, Sir Equilateral Parallelogram just doesn't have the same ring to it as Sir Rhombus.)

And ASpie, if Square did not have a moral compass, what is to determine what he considers correct or not? Chemical reactions in the brain? Why, that must mean that all twinges of conscience are relative, which is a relative statement in an of itself, so that couldn't possibly be true. Because if that was true, then what's to keep the relativety of that statement from differing towards Circle? Or Pentagon? Or Triangle? Then that must mean that Circle doesn't have a moral compass at all, and that makes Square's insult the most ridiculous thing in Shapeland! Therefore, everyone does have a moral compass...it's to what degree they ignore it that is the clincher. I think it can be safely said that between the two, Square probably does ignore it more then Circle.

Sir Rhombus
Member Avatar
CIRCLE or SQUARE
Dec 20 2008, 12:56 AM
Is not the second definition of equal the one I was using, considering that I was using geometry to supplement my logic?

Yes, I agree, the word 'milady' does roll off the tongue quite nicely, enough to where I use it in my novel practically every chance I get. If you were going to use 'milady' as a way to irritate me, then I am afraid that you must get used to disappointment, Sir Equilateral Parallelogram. (I must be honest, Sir Equilateral Parallelogram just doesn't have the same ring to it as Sir Rhombus.)

Is not the second definition of equal the one I was criticizing?

And yes, milady is a wonderful word. The title Lord rolls off the tongue particularly well with my name, but Sir Rhombus is nice too. There's a ring to it.

ASpieboy
Member Avatar
The Umbrageous
Square rules. []

And you bicker like an old married couple. []

rarisgod
Member Avatar
You certainly felt the need to respond to this thread that is 2 weeks old with little relevant posting material.

Sir Rhombus
Member Avatar
CIRCLE or SQUARE
Why do you humor him so, Rarisgod? It's much easier to just ignore him.

ASpieboy
Member Avatar
The Umbrageous
[] This is a Square topic. I thought a little pro-Squareness would be appropriate.

rarisgod
Member Avatar
Good point, Sir Rhombus. From now on, ignored!!
*ignores*

ASpieboy
Member Avatar
The Umbrageous
*ignores ignoring*

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · Square · Next Topic »
Add Reply