Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Round Challahs & sukkah for shmini atzeres
Topic Started: Oct 20 2005, 08:59 AM (1,647 Views)
realeez
Member Avatar
Brain Freeze
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
when do we end the round challah days? want to start baking more challahs today/tomorrow...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

zuncompany
Member Avatar
Administrator
need to also put up more. We do eat round but simchas torah with salt. can't remember shmini artzeres.

aviva'seema
Member Avatar
queen
[ *  *  *  * ]
See I didn't even know about "round challah days." A little bit of education would be helpful.

I tried making a crown challah but it didn't turn out the way I pictured it.

lol

Lisa

realeez
Member Avatar
Brain Freeze
basically we have round challahs b/c it is like a crown and on Rosh Hashana we remember Hashem as our King. We continue this throughout the days of judgement which conclude on Hoshana Rabba - 7th day of succos. So i figured that we don't need round ones for the days after. truth is you can have round all year if you wanted - the bakeries sell them.

glad you are asking questions - the more questions asked the more everyone learns!

btw, galylic gfave great instructions on how to make a crown challah on another post.

lurker
princess
[ *  *  * ]
zuncompany
Oct 20 2005, 09:17 AM
need to also put up more. We do eat round but simchas torah with salt. can't remember shmini artzeres.

sara -
isn't shemini atzeres before simchas torah? my guess is that if you have round on simchas torah, you have round on shemini atzeres, unless you run out.

zuncompany
Member Avatar
Administrator
its the salt I can't remember. I can't remember if we eat honey or salt on that day. round yes. Than again- that could be cause everyone I always went to before I was married just had extras and thats why we had round. haha

By Lubavitch we eat in the sukkah shmini artzeres while most eat inside.

lurker
princess
[ *  *  * ]
i think most people eat in the sukkah, it's only chasidim that don't eat in the sukkah i think.

zuncompany
Member Avatar
Administrator
interesting- nobody else I know does. All our Litvishe friends do not.

FlowerGirl
Member Avatar
Rebbetzin
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Another reason we use round hallahs is that each year is a sycle -
year goes and another one comes - the continuity of life.

And we also sit in the Sukka an extra day is b/c of 'tsveika (sp?) de yoma' - doubt of (about) the day.

Technically speaking, what we reffer to as Sukkos consists of 5 parts & 4 holidays:

1. Yom Tov Sukkos - 1 day in Israel & 2 in diaspora
2. Hol HaMoed Sukkos - 6 days in Israel & 5 days in diaspora
3. Hoshana Raba - coinsides w/ the last day oh Hol Ha<=Moed
Now Sukkos is over.
4. Shmini Atzeres - 1 day in Israel, 2 days in Diasp.
5. Simhas Torah - in Isael coinsides w/ Smini Atzeres, in Diaspoea coinsides w/ the 2nd day of Shmini Atzeres.

In the days of the Bais HaMikdash there was no calendar - a new month was announced when witnesses came to the court of the Bais HaMikdash said that they saw a new moon. The court questioned them as to the position of the moon in the sky and if their testimony showed that indeed the moon is of the right size and in the proper position, a new month was declared. Then special 'signal' fires were lit to let everybody know that the new month is here. Based on this the days of the holidays were determined.

When the Jews were dispersed in the beginning of the Galus (Exile) it sometimes took a bit longer for the news to get to them. Hence the 2 day Yomim Tovim in diaspora.

After Beis HaMikdash was destroyed (or right b4 that), our sages established a calendar.

So some ppl sit an extra day in the Sukka just in case there was a miscalculation & we're still obligated to 'live' in the sukka.

Hope this makes sence.

realeez
Member Avatar
Brain Freeze
We eat in the sukkah on shmini atzeres (and we aren't lubav).

U Tarzan Me Jane
Member Avatar
Rebbetzin
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
growing up, we were always jealous of our litvish cousins that ate in the sukah on shmini atzeret night and day.

we did not eat at night, but we made kiddush in the sukka on shmeini azeret morning. and also had some mezonot, but the meal was eaten inside.

My husbands family has a meal on the last day of chol hamoed to say goodbye, and does not do anything in the sukka after that.

guarana613
queen
[ *  *  *  * ]
we "gezegen zich" (say goodbye to) the succah on shmini atzeres but we donīt say leshev basuca

Estie
Member Avatar
aishes chayil
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
We eat in the sukkah as well. It is definitely a chassidish/ nusach sefard minhag not to. No leshev basukkah since it is not sukkot. My dad is Moroccan and they eat in the sukkah. Zun your litvish friends must have some chassidish blood. Unfortunately the Nazis managed to mangle families so well that many minhagim got mixed up.

ScrappingMom
Member Avatar
Jewish Housewife
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Estie
Sep 21 2007, 07:02 AM
We eat in the sukkah as well. It is definitely a chassidish/ nusach sefard minhag not to. No leshev basukkah since it is not sukkot. My dad is Moroccan and they eat in the sukkah. Zun your litvish friends must have some chassidish blood. Unfortunately the Nazis managed to mangle families so well that many minhagim got mixed up.

We eat in the sukkah through Shemini Atzeres (night and day). Simchas Torah, we eat inside.

ebpeuka
aishes chayil
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Ashkenazim (nusach Ashkenaz) eat in the sukkah on Shemini Atzeres, although they don't make a bracha on it. Most chassidim do not. The basis for not eating in the sukkah on SA is pretty weak once one checks out the sources, but a minhag is a minhag.

We eat round challos with honey till (and including) Hoshana Rabba. The reason is that the period of judgment that began on Rosh Hashana ends on Hoshana Rabba, when the judgment decreed on each of us is handed to the malachim to be carried out.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Sukkot/ Simchas Torah · Next Topic »
Add Reply