Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
UN declares Somalia famine in Bakool and Lower Sha
Topic Started: Jul 20 2011, 09:34 AM (206 Views)
lifesmate
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

The United Nations has declared a famine in two areas of southern Somalia as it suffers the worst drought in more than half a century.

The UN said the humanitarian situation in southern Bakool and Lower Shabelle had deteriorated rapidly.

It is the first time that the country has seen famine in 19 years.

Meanwhile, the UN and US have said aid agencies need further safety guarantees from armed groups in Somalia to allow staff to reach those in need.

Al-Shabab, an al-Qaeda-affiliated group which controls large swathes of south and central Somalia, had imposed a ban on foreign aid agencies in its territories in 2009, but has recently allowed limited access.

An estimated 10m people have been affected in east Africa by the worst drought in more than half a century. More than 166,000 desperate Somalis are estimated to have fled their country to neighbouring Kenya or Ethiopia.

Source and full story. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14211905

Bloody muslim extremists....grrrrr.Do they not care that millions could die..??
Limited access...pah..not enough.

Its all very well charities here begging us to give money but the people who really need it wont get it....terrorists will more likely.

We have given 50million and where will it go????

Tom
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
:) i shall do my duty and give what i can i dont like it but if it helps in any way at all we have to help i know its been going on year in year out for the past 20 or 30 years more than likely the govement and high ranking officials will end up with it but better to do and give something than nothing at all :(

lifesmate
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I used to give to charity but not anymore. Only about 10p in the pound is even given over and then the bloody governments or in this case...extremists..stop the people who need it from getting it.

Rosema
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
Quote:

Al-Shabab, an al-Qaeda-affiliated group which controls large swathes of south and central Somalia, had imposed a ban on foreign aid agencies in its territories in 2009, but has recently allowed limited access.

Yeah, and we know how that limited access works: aid agencies hand over half the supplies to the war lords.

I'm not giving anything, the tsunami scandals finished it for me. My government has given 5 million. I wonder how much of that will reach those who need it.

lifesmate
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Exactly rosema. The money doesn't get to those who need it.

I am not giving money so that the leaders and terrorists of those countries can live in palaces ...we do that here in England already. :rolleyes:

Its such a shame as donations are falling off all over the world becaue we fear the money is not used for the purpose we donate for.

Tom
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
try telling cammeron that he is sending 51 million of our money over

lifesmate
Member Avatar
Administrator
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yep and while I am all for helping I get mad when its probably going to be used by terrorists to bloody bomb us while the poor people there die of starvation. :(

Tom
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
you know they said this 19 years ago when famine hit the exact same place you cant blame the children i blame irisponsable parents who have no education and a currupt govement i surely wouldnt want to bring children into the world if it was as bad as its been their

Rosema
No Avatar
[ *  * ]
You can't really blame rural, tribal Africans for being uneducated and not using contraception. Africa is turning into a desert and making traditional life impossible. It might not be our tradition and our values, but it's their own culture and it is not to blame for what is happening.

Part of the problem with corrupt African nations is that they were first colonised and then given independence, whereby nations were formed which were at odds with the tribal culture and sense of identity, they had western structures forced on them when they should have been allowed to return to tribalism and traditional homelands if they wished. The part played by western governments and mulit-nationals in supporting tyrants in Africa has been considerable. Look at the 20th century history of Congo, for example. Barbara Kingsolver has written a heart-rending account in her book The Poisonwood Bible.

Tom
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
i find it interesting that uk is top of the list in donatng 90 million then us 30 million in 3rd australia 25 million then spain 6 million, holland 4million then sweden 3 million nz 1.5m, france dennmark italy 0 and those are the pledges so far .

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · In The News · Next Topic »
Add Reply