Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Round Table. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Apport from the scole experiment
Topic Started: Jul 20 2012, 04:03 PM (546 Views)
Ghosthunter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Posted Image

This 60-year-old Newspaper dated 1936 was one of two old newspapers apported by the spirit team for the Scole Group during two different sittings. Both the papers were in pristine condition when they arrived - apart from being folded. The paper itself was white - almost impossible, considering the age of this newsprint paper which was full of lignin impurities within the mechanical pulp it was made from.

Despite being kept in lightproof and airproof conditions after we received them, both newspapers yellowed within a week (normal for this type of paper).

Researchers from the SPR (Society for Psychical Research) submitted a sample of the paper to P.I.R.A. (The Paper Industry Research Association) for examination. They were able to authenticate the paper as genuine for the dates of the papers, and the printing as from the 'letterpress' process, which is now well out of date

http://robinsphysicalphenomena.webs.com/apportsatscole.htm

OMGBanana
Member Avatar
Banana Queen!
[ *  * ]
that is unusual.....would there be a way of preserving paper like that for years?

Les
Member Avatar
I use a computer, therefore I am.
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Interesting, Zombie, thank you.

Duck
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
It's my understanding that the paper did not materialise during the Scole experiment or at the time the investigators were involved but rather that it was presented as evidence when they joined the investigation, just to keep the facts straight. I'd hate for anyone to be misled by the title into believing a fully formed newspaper appeared before the eyes of sceptics and believers alike. Not saying there aren't unanswered questions but then again I still have questions about Dynamo's show the other night...how the heck did he get that iphone inside a milk bottle, on the street in front of a crowd in broad daylight? beat that Scole!

Ghosthunter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
How the hell was that forged.The letterpress style of printing was obsolete a long time ago and it must have been copied from the original but the original couldn't have still existed?

OMGBanana
Member Avatar
Banana Queen!
[ *  * ]
nobody suggested forgery.
it did not appear in front of the investigators, but was something that happened before the experiment and was produced as evidence.

waiiiiiiiiiiiiit...how long before the investigators saw it did it appear? they said that it appeared as white but turned yellow and aged within 3 days, even when well preserved. this means its likely the investigators didnt see it as white.

Ghosthunter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
If not forged it must have been an original copy..How it appeard is not important.The question is where did it come from ?

sherry
Member Avatar
sherry
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well they are calling the newspaper an apport so it must have apported during a session. I have the old Scole book so when I get chance I'll take a look and see exactly what it says there. I do know the people from Scole were very serious about what they were doing, so I doubt they are making all this up.

sherry
Member Avatar
sherry
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
This might shed a bit more light on the Sole experiments.

http://www.thescoleexperiment.com/artcl_01.htm

Ghosthunter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
I was just going to post that Chortle

Duck
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

As it was received by the Scole Group before we began our investigation and we were therefore not present at the time, we made only brief references to it in the Report

So what we have, setting aside speculation is a real newspaper from 1944 and an anecdote by believers about how it got there.

Ghosthunter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Are you actually serious about your opinions or is it a wind up?

Tomdog
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
zombie444
Jul 21 2012, 01:42 PM
How the hell was that forged.The letterpress style of printing was obsolete a long time ago and it must have been  copied from the original but the original couldn't have still existed?

http://www.historic-newspapers.co.uk/

It's very easy to obtain original newspapers from the 1930's

Original copies of The Daily Mirror from Dec 16 1936 can be bought from this website today.

Ghosthunter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
Not white and in pristine condition.

Tomdog
Member Avatar
[ *  * ]
zombie444
Jul 21 2012, 06:27 PM
Not white and in pristine condition.

Do we know for certain the paper was white and pristine?

Maybe they inspected the paper in the dark? ;) They seemed to do everything else in the dark......strange that Laughing man

OMGBanana
Member Avatar
Banana Queen!
[ *  * ]
it looks white in the photo, but was it taken with a black and white camera?

we dont know whether the investigators saw the newspaper when it was white, as it aged in three days, so its likely they didnt.

id like to hear a statement from the people who were present when it appeared though, exactly how it happened.

Ghosthunter
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
[ *  *  * ]
W-ave

Les
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The fact is that none of us were there, so we're none of us in a position to judge the veracity of those statements. I can't see any reason for the Scole experiments to have been a mass of lies. (Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me :D ). If they say they got the paper in pristine condition, then short of proving the contrary, we have to accept that there might be something to it. Agree with Kayls. More definitive information would be useful.

Duck
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  * ]
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence”

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence"

Both apply here. Simply accepting the claims is nothing more than being happy lying to yourself simply because you want the claim to be true. That's an individual right but it neither makes it true nor more likely. Only good evidence does that. And again, if the only supporting position we have is an argument from ignorance "You don't know for sure" that's not a very convincing position to be asserting an unlikely claim is it?

Les
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quote:

Both apply here. Simply accepting the claims is nothing more than being happy lying to yourself simply because you want the claim to be true. That's an individual right but it neither makes it true nor more likely.

Don't believe it, don't disbelieve it. I'm asking for more information.
Quote:

Only good evidence does that. And again, if the only supporting position we have is an argument from ignorance "You don't know for sure" that's not a very convincing position to be asserting an unlikely claim is it?

But we don't know for sure. Anyone who says they do, in these circumstances, is acting from preconceived ideas, no matter which side of the argument they're supporting.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Parapsychology · Next Topic »
Add Reply