Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Katamari on the Web. A one stop shop for all your Katamari needs. If you can't or don't want to register, feel free to use the guest forum if you need game help. Registering obviously gives you deeper access to the board and to more features such as access to scoreboards, profile customization, clubs, and polls to name a few. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid e-mail is required to register.

Roll with us? Join here!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
*~KATAMARI KAZOKU~* - a 2d Katamari Fan Game; **OFFICIALLY AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD**
Topic Started: Aug 28 2009, 04:58 PM (15,119 Views)
jsmithlmsl
Member Avatar
Creator of the Kazoku!
OFFICIALLY RELEASED

Katamari Kazoku!
(Katamari Family)

GRAB THAT KATAMARI AND ROLL!!!

Release Date: 9-24-2010
Features:
- 11 Unlockable and playable cousins
- unlockable pixel art gallery made up from the scenario backgrounds
- 12 unlockable hud customizations
- An unlockable "Katamari-ish Edition" of a classic game
- Sound and background music adjustments
- play full screen or mini screen
- 21 rolling scenarios spanning across 8 different maps such as the 'livingroom, kitchen, backyard, and the airducts of a house..'
- simple control mechanics (the entire game is played without having to touch the keyboard once. All mouse all day!)
- much, much more...

SCREEN SHOTS:

MAIN MENU:
Posted Image

UNLOCKABLE COUSINS MENU:
Posted Image

GAME PLAY IN THE TRAINING ROOM:
Posted Image

GAME PLAY IN THE KITCHEN:
Posted Image

FIREFLY MUCH?
Posted Image

RAINY DAY FOR OUR LITTLE PRINCE:
Posted Image

Katamari Kazoku is a large executable file (22mb zipped) that contains a ton of information so once you open the executable, do not be surprised if it takes a minute+ to load up. There is a progress bar that will appear centered on your desktop for visual reference. It will take longer for some then others so I recommend you try your best to be patient; there's a lot to load up for you to roll!

ARE YOU READY TO PLAY SOME KATAMARI KAZOKU???
(As of 9:40am CST on 9-25, there is a new version of Katamari Kazoku for Download. If you have downloaded prior to this, you will want to upgrade to this version to avoid a crash later in the game as well as a couple bugs. If you have previously saved data, no worries, your data will sill work with this latest version. Be sure that the version you are playing is version v1_1 to avoid previous bugs.)

CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW TO DOWNLOAD FROM HOST-A:
Posted Image

CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW TO DOWNLOAD FROM MEDIAFIRE:
Posted Image

As much as I would like to think this will roll out flawlessly, things just never happen like that. If you receive an error IN GAME, please copy that error and PM it to me so I can update the game for future play.

Just like the Katamari Teaser, this game contains MP3 files which can cause an error upon loading for a select few individuals. Please make sure you UNZIP THE ZIP FILE AND MOVE THE PROGRAM TO YOUR DESKTOP as well as make sure your system meets the requirements noted in the README included in the zip.

15-ish months in the making, I hope everyone enjoys!

Josh - JsmithLMSL
Edited by jsmithlmsl, Sep 25 2010, 11:13 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Iramatak
Member Avatar
Watch the skies, everywhere. Keep looking. Keep watching the skies.
That looks great! I've been waiting for a PC Katamari for a while.
One thing to note is that the words are hard to understand... maybe consider switching to an easier to see font?

June Showers
Member Avatar
Everyday with rain...

It's very nice-looking!

The font is a bit difficult to read; I actually thought it was in another language at first and was trying to puzzle out what before I recognized it... ^^; But once I got used to it, it wasn't too bad.

Min
Member Avatar
Lover of gherkins

Looks like you have put a lot of effort and love into it. It looks great and I'm looking forward to playing it :)
Good luck finishing it!

FoominFan
Member Avatar
Moment Generating Function

:notworthy Katamari PC :notworthy

That will fly off the shelves if Namco gets smart enough to try that.

But YOU! That is brilliant! :notworthy

reecer6
The Castle's Architech
This. Must ALWAYS be free.
It's awesomeness should be played by poor people too.
But still, I would like to roll up that toaster... And maybe that cutting board, too.

jsmithlmsl
Member Avatar
Creator of the Kazoku!
Woohoo! Good Feedback!

This is the first I have shown or discussed anything about the project freely with people so I'm glad to see your positive responses *whew*. I will keep this topic updated with my progress, speaking of, moving on to the ever so boring process of spriting the cousin animations so they are playable after they are found in the levels *sigh*... With the good comes the BOOOORING! lol

Thanks again for your feedback!

*EDIT* Almost forgot, to address that font. Once people catch on that they are actually staring at English that appears as scripted Kanji, it generally becomes easier to understand. I am trying to keep to the oriental theme as much as I can, but I have tossed the idea around of finding a new font. The issue at hand is this far into the project, it would require a TON of work to go back and resize my selection windows, but it could be a possibility..
Edited by jsmithlmsl, Aug 30 2009, 01:18 PM.

somekindofegg
Member Avatar
Welcome Mat
WOW that looks awesome!!! and the font was actually the first thing i noticed that i really liked, it's all japanese letters! i think it's really cool, and i found it easy to read but i guess thats just me :(
but the game looks awesome, im really excited for when it comes out :D

jsmithlmsl
Member Avatar
Creator of the Kazoku!
Good Morning Katamari Friends!

Came up with a worthy update last night so I thought I would share it..

First off, @ somekindofegg, I'm glad you like the font and thank you for your feedback.

After reviewing the amount of work it will take to switch fonts (I looked into it after the initial responses in this topic), I've made the conclusion that this far into the project, it would not be effective due to the sizing of some particular objects and sprites specifically created to hold that fonts size and width of letters. I do plan on following this game up with sequel whether or not it has success, so at that time I will consider bringing in a more simple letter type.

So all 10 cousins are sprited, animated, and fully playable. I turned focus onto level design, and decided to incooperate what I am calling "Classic" Stars. More or less, a simple scenario suggested from a previous Katamari game that is recreated in this 2d project. I will stay quiet about the others, but here is a screenshot of the "Classic Star 1" level:

Posted Image

It's a level without a time limit. Instead, this particular Katamari is described as being like a light bulb, 100 watts of Katamari brightness! The user has to "roll up Fireflies" (hense the classic name) to bring wattage into the Katamari to help Illuminate it. You unfortunetly will not know how many watts a firefly supplies you with and will have to judge when to stop rolling based of the illumination taking place on the screen. Stop to early and you will fail, go over 100 watts and you will break the Katamari and lose the level.

So all 20 level designs are complete. I'm in the process of building them to fit particular rolling scenarios. I made it through 4 out of 20 last night... Hopefully I can wrap this part up by the end of the weekend and we'll be moving on to the "Kings Royal Communication" (also know as the textbox :P)

Thanks!

**EDIT**

Almost forgot, I made a couple of signature banners. If you want to help promote the game by putting a Katamari Kazoku! banner in your forum signature(s), you can use the following:
Posted Image
You will have to copy that text letter for letter, punctuation perfect, to make the signature work. After placing it in your sig, anytime a user clicks on it, they will be brought here!

If you do choose to show a banner for the game and you are a part of another gaming forum, please feel free to show the banner there too! The more eyes the better :)

Thanks!

Edited by jsmithlmsl, Sep 2 2009, 10:23 AM.

jsmithlmsl
Member Avatar
Creator of the Kazoku!
Hello all!

Just a quick update. I'm beggining to doubt if this will be completed by the end of September.. Still have lots of little things to do and being that I get married in 24 days, spare time is something I seem to have none of... lol. Looks like mid October is going to be a little more realistic.

Something cool to update on though; I was at work last Friday and my job is SLOOOOW right now, so I threw the ol' USB stick on my PC and started working on the game a bit. I got bored with what I was doing, so I decided to create an easter egg. Hidden within Kat Kazoku now is a noby noby boy themed mini game.

It's getting there!

-Josh

*PS*
Speaking of getting married, I'm sure that if you are a Katamari fan, you have seen the Katamari cake topper that a woman had created for her wedding. My fiancee also enjoys Katamari and we liked the idea so much, we decided to create our own. The entire thing is molded, baked, and about 90% painted. It should be done by next week, so once it is, I'll throw some pictures out here to see :)
Edited by jsmithlmsl, Sep 9 2009, 12:20 PM.

FoominFan
Member Avatar
Moment Generating Function

jsmithlmsl
Sep 9 2009, 12:19 PM
Hello all!

Just a quick update. I'm beggining to doubt if this will be completed by the end of September.. Still have lots of little things to do and being that I get married in 24 days, spare time is something I seem to have none of... lol. Looks like mid October is going to be a little more realistic.

Something cool to update on though; I was at work last Friday and my job is SLOOOOW right now, so I threw the ol' USB stick on my PC and started working on the game a bit. I got bored with what I was doing, so I decided to create an easter egg. Hidden within Kat Kazoku now is a noby noby boy themed mini game.

It's getting there!

-Josh

*PS*
Speaking of getting married, I'm sure that if you are a Katamari fan, you have seen the Katamari cake topper that a woman had created for her wedding. My fiancee also enjoys Katamari and we liked the idea so much, we decided to create our own. The entire thing is molded, baked, and about 90% painted. It should be done by next week, so once it is, I'll throw some pictures out here to see :)
Congratulations! :applause

I hope everything goes well (the marriage and the game :P )!

Min
Member Avatar
Lover of gherkins

Congratulations! Wish I had a Katamari cake at my wedding, I had a flower cake.
All the best for you and your future wife :cheers

jsmithlmsl
Member Avatar
Creator of the Kazoku!
Hey all! Another update... I have 2 more levels to complete and the initial GP is done. I felt froggy the other day and added a level where you roll a pot instead of a katamari. There are large raindrops in the level and the more rain you roll up, the larger the plant in the pot gets. The idea behind was to grow a plant. Here's a screen shot:
Posted Image
The mid-late October release is WAY more realistic at this moment... lol.

SuperAce25
Welcome Mat
jsmithlmsl
Aug 30 2009, 01:13 PM
*EDIT* Almost forgot, to address that font. Once people catch on that they are actually staring at English that appears as scripted Kanji, it generally becomes easier to understand. I am trying to keep to the oriental theme as much as I can, but I have tossed the idea around of finding a new font. The issue at hand is this far into the project, it would require a TON of work to go back and resize my selection windows, but it could be a possibility..
We remember when Linkin Park did that.

jsmithlmsl

So all 10 cousins are sprited, animated, and fully playable. I turned focus onto level design, and decided to incooperate what I am calling "Classic" Stars. More or less, a simple scenario suggested from a previous Katamari game that is recreated in this 2d project. I will stay quiet about the others, but here is a screenshot of the "Classic Star 1" level:

Posted Image

It's a level without a time limit. Instead, this particular Katamari is described as being like a light bulb, 100 watts of Katamari brightness! The user has to "roll up Fireflies" (hense the classic name) to bring wattage into the Katamari to help Illuminate it. You unfortunetly will not know how many watts a firefly supplies you with and will have to judge when to stop rolling based of the illumination taking place on the screen. Stop to early and you will fail, go over 100 watts and you will break the Katamari and lose the level.

Or We could skip that level and move on to getting the closest to 2M.

In any case, This game looks awesome.

waxc3
Member Avatar
headshot headshot headshot (designated sniper member)

can you show us the game running? a vid capture perhaps?

are you aware what could happen if namco-bandai sees you game available for download (even for free)? be careful bro.

jsmithlmsl
Member Avatar
Creator of the Kazoku!
Quote:

are you aware what could happen if namco-bandai sees you game available for download (even for free)? be careful bro.
I appreciate your concern. Being freeware, my own graphics and sounds, and that I am in no way using thier name to sell a marketable product of my own, I am fairly confident that I am not breaking any copyright laws. This is very much like 1 of the 1000's of Flash Super Mario Brothers and Sonic games out there on the web. General rule of thumb: If it's not yours, you can mess with it, but you can not sell it.

In actuality though, I am kind of hoping that someone at Namco sees the game. I think they may get a kick out of it.

Quote:

And now for your veiwing pleasure, some gameplay: :)

Includes
- small showing of menu navigation and effects
- footage from the training level
- footage from the "Drippy Meteor" aka the "grow a plant" level
- footage from the "Wine Spritzer Nebula" aka the "roll up __ amount of grapes in this amount of time" level
- a small showing of the easter egg (The Noby themed version of snake)

Do note that there is not an hourglass where the mouse is in gameplay. That appeared courtesy of the freeware I used to capture the video. In game, the mouse is actually a little King of the Cosmos head. In menu, it emits rainbow fireworks when moved and ingame, it emits flashy sparks when moved.

Here you go: Katamari Kazoku Preview

Edited by jsmithlmsl, Sep 25 2009, 03:05 PM.

Min
Member Avatar
Lover of gherkins

It looks like lots of fun! I love the rain in the Drippy Meteor level and the cute little Prince.
Congratulations! I wish I could make stuff like this :)

waxc3
Member Avatar
headshot headshot headshot (designated sniper member)

okay. you are fairly safe yes. that was why i made sure to use the word "could" and not "would"

thanks for the video!

SuperAce25
Welcome Mat
jsmithlmsl
Sep 25 2009, 03:03 PM
Quote:

I appreciate your concern. Being freeware, my own graphics and sounds, and that I am in no way using thier name to sell a marketable product of my own, I am fairly confident that I am not breaking any copyright laws. This is very much like 1 of the 1000's of Flash Super Mario Brothers and Sonic games out there on the web. General rule of thumb: If it's not yours, you can mess with it, but you can not sell it.

In actuality though, I am kind of hoping that someone at Namco sees the game. I think they may get a kick out of it.

Quote:

And now for your veiwing pleasure, some gameplay: :)

Includes
- small showing of menu navigation and effects
- footage from the training level
- footage from the "Drippy Meteor" aka the "grow a plant" level
- footage from the "Wine Spritzer Nebula" aka the "roll up __ amount of grapes in this amount of time" level
- a small showing of the easter egg (The Noby themed version of snake)

Do note that there is not an hourglass where the mouse is in gameplay. That appeared courtesy of the freeware I used to capture the video. In game, the mouse is actually a little King of the Cosmos head. In menu, it emits rainbow fireworks when moved and ingame, it emits flashy sparks when moved.

Here you go: Katamari Kazoku Preview

A little work needs to be done on the GFX in the 1st and 3rd levels in that gameplay video, but looks...OK.

reecer6
The Castle's Architech
This WILL be awesome!
*Gets rusty Katamari out*

elitebeat2
Member Avatar
I'm the goddamn Batman!
OMG I can't wait :woot ! This looks to be an awesome game! Have you considered making expansion packs or DLC when you finish it. Whether or not you do, this definately looks like an awesome experience!

jsmithlmsl
Member Avatar
Creator of the Kazoku!
Thanks for your support!

@ SuperAce - The graphics are not going to be much better than what they are right now. Unfortunately I don't have the spriting talent I wish I did. I was hoping though that the minimal graphics might add to the nostalgia of the game itself.. I can tell you though that in my spare time, I have began working on the Engine for my next game, which in my obsessive ways will once again be Katamari themed. This time though, it will be strictly top down instead of a fixed "pixel art" perspective. With the help of another programmer, the BIG step that should trump Kazoku is the fact the next project will be completely 3d instead of 2d. Here's a sneak as to what I'm talking about (this is not gameplay, but beta test footage from the engine as it is currently). I added a special object to show a little love for this forum ;) Sneaky Sneaky! I wanna see!
Edited by jsmithlmsl, Sep 26 2009, 12:00 AM.

SuperAce25
Welcome Mat
jsmithlmsl
Sep 26 2009, 12:00 AM
Thanks for your support!

@ SuperAce - The graphics are not going to be much better than what they are right now. Unfortunately I don't have the spriting talent I wish I did. I was hoping though that the minimal graphics might add to the nostalgia of the game itself.. I can tell you though that in my spare time, I have began working on the Engine for my next game, which in my obsessive ways will once again be Katamari themed. This time though, it will be strictly top down instead of a fixed "pixel art" perspective. With the help of another programmer, the BIG step that should trump Kazoku is the fact the next project will be completely 3d instead of 2d. Here's a sneak as to what I'm talking about (this is not gameplay, but beta test footage from the engine as it is currently). I added a special object to show a little love for this forum ;) Sneaky Sneaky! I wanna see!
OK, that's fine.

Not to be offensive or anything, but looks like you can roll up anything in the BETA version, but then again it is the Beta version, so nevermind.
Edited by SuperAce25, Sep 26 2009, 12:58 PM.

jsmithlmsl
Member Avatar
Creator of the Kazoku!
Quote:

Not to be offensive or anything, but looks like you can roll up anything in the BETA version, but then again it is the Beta version, so nevermind.
No offense taken at all :). That video is directly from the building stage of the games engine itself. Addressed collisions are not yet a part of it. We were working on the physics of the ball and properly attaching the items. You would not believe the math that goes into something when z is a variable. :frusty
Edited by jsmithlmsl, Sep 26 2009, 02:41 PM.

SuperAce25
Welcome Mat
jsmithlmsl
Sep 26 2009, 02:41 PM
Quote:

No offense taken at all :). That video is directly from the building stage of the games engine itself. Addressed collisions are not yet a part of it. We were working on the physics of the ball and properly attaching the items. You would not believe the math that goes into something when z is a variable. :frusty
Oh...Wait we?
You have other people working on the game or are you just talking like the King of all cosmos all of a sudden?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Tea with the King · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This page has been viewed times.
KotW was created on March 8th, 2005 and the above counter has been tracking stats since November 22nd, 2005.
Katamari is a copyright of Namco, we don't own it or claim to own it. Fanart, smilies, etc. are copyright of it's respective members, unless given permission by the
author, usage is prohibited. This website is used for entertainment purposes only.