Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Katamari on the Web. A one stop shop for all your Katamari needs. If you can't or don't want to register, feel free to use the guest forum if you need game help. Registering obviously gives you deeper access to the board and to more features such as access to scoreboards, profile customization, clubs, and polls to name a few. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid e-mail is required to register.

Roll with us? Join here!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Japanese Player "Jobnsoso" Breaks Three Diameter Records!; Speedruns in 2013/2014 by cetaka break records too!
Topic Started: Jan 14 2014, 01:52 AM (2,054 Views)
FoominFan
Member Avatar
Moment Generating Function

I've been on YouTube searching around to see what I've missed out on in the past year and a half or so and stumbled upon a Japanese player who has broken three diameter records on the original game - MAS5, MAS7, and MAS9.

Below are the videos - they are just stunning. I urge you to take a look!

Jobnsoso - KD - Make a Star 5 Diameter - 3m2cm7mm

Jobnsoso - KD - Make a Star 7 Diameter - 11m61cm2mm

Jobnsoso - KD - Make a Star 9 Diameter - 58m99cm3mm

___

There have also been significant achievements in speedruns on KD in 2013 by cetaka on YouTube, who I believe is on this forum by the name doughyguy92 (and his topic is quite recent, as katamari topics go). All 9 MAS's and MTM world record speedruns are on his channel here: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UClh8NaW5mpgqwkiruW6vuEw Because he is a member here, I'll give him the liberty of initiating the discussion of his own videos with a new topic, or whatever he chooses, but I would be happy to create a new topic about his work and strategize. :)

Edited by FoominFan, Jan 17 2014, 03:30 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kakatatamamariri
Member of the Hoshino Clan
Very awesome, but terrible quality, it's kinda hard to see.
And about doughyguy92, he streams on twitch a lot, I suggest you watch!

Jungle-King
Member Avatar
Cowbear Wrangler
This reminds me, I should check my KD scores. Super impressive though. Maybe Jobnsoso will join here. A bit of a stretch though.

FoominFan
Member Avatar

For the first time in over 2 years, I played some KD... I ended up improving two of my time scores (MAS5 and MAS9 because of watching doughyguy92's videos), and quit because playing got way too frustrating... I have 3 older PS2 controllers and they all "stick" and are not very powerful when it comes to dashes. In other words, the katamari feels really 'heavy'... attempts at speedrunning MAS7 just took me over the edge lol and I lost my temper patience... so I popped in WLK, and enjoyed myself a lot more. Lots of nostalgia, I have to say. I just played some MMK a bit just now... just for fun. :) I'm glad people are still coming back to these games to push the limits of routes and scores - and some of us are just discovering them for the first time and falling in love, just like we all did once. ^^

It would be great if Jobnsoso joined. If someone notified him on Twitch, he may be interested. :)

Jungle-King
Member Avatar
Cowbear Wrangler
KD is more nostalgic to me. Then again, it was the 2nd game I ever played.

kakatatamamariri
FoominFan
Jan 14 2014, 09:09 PM
I have 3 older PS2 controllers and they all "stick" and are not very powerful when it comes to dashes. In other words, the katamari feels really 'heavy'... attempts at speedrunning MAS7 just took me over the edge lol and I lost my temper patience
Just so you know, Katamari Damacy was released for PSN (PS3) as a PS2 classic about 8 months ago.
Maybe it could be better to use a PS3 controller...
Edited by kakatatamamariri, Jan 14 2014, 10:51 PM.

crbtino
Welcome Mat
WOW!! Jobnsoso is amazing...I never would have thought to return and spend as much time in the upper town on MAS5 so early, but that makes sense now that I think of it. That seemed to be the one level that I never felt rushed to get everything...I'll have to go back and try this route.

As for the other two, I'm pleased to see some new things to try with his routes. He seems to have the same method here, as well...revisiting early sections sooner than I have, but he also doesn't worry too much about picking up little things that fall off in the early part of the level, something that I feel compelled to do (it's the completionist in me)

On MAS7, it took me well over 20 tries to have enough time to get the blue house on the hill before time ran out...I think he had over a minute left at that point!

On MAS9, I think he found something that I never knew was there, unless I'm mistaken...after picking up the first of the two long bridges near the end he goes to get the last balloon then positions himself using the boost the long bridge gives him to reach higher than normal picking up what MIGHT be TWO things from the rotating crane (edit: it sure looks, or more accurately SOUNDS, like there are 2 things there!). I'll have to watch again, but that's the only thing I saw that he may have picked up that I've not gotten and his score blew mine away!

In any case, both his and the new timed scores by cetaka are more than impressive!
Edited by crbtino, Jan 14 2014, 11:16 PM.

Jungle-King
Member Avatar
Cowbear Wrangler
Cool! An old member is back! I personally never try to copy someone elses route, but I might try this one, as it looks interesting.

FoominFan
Member Avatar

@kakatatamamariri: I did hear about that - interesting... but I'm not willing to buy the game again. But thanks for the suggestion!

@crbtino: Yeah, the MAS5 run found me with my jaw dropped :jawdrop the whole time... everything is just lovely. ^^ I commented on all of his videos on YT, as well as cetaka's. I don't think I have personally congratulated you on your KD scores... ever. Which is a travesty... so I shall do it now! XD You guys should make a MAS7 pre-fab house club :lol

And I will have to take a look at that in MAS9... that part of the video was a bit fishy to me... he took far too long for a strategy that has already been used countless times and that works just fine for one item, you know? So, yes, I bet it's something else. Something on the crane? I wish the video was in better quality so we could see the item pop up and the size increases... oh well, it's the best he can do. :) He has done more than enough by taking the time to record his runs and share them with the world!

@JungleKing16: You never try to copy someone else's route? Really? I'd like to hear more about this... :heh

Jungle-King
Member Avatar
Cowbear Wrangler
I try to make m own... but they really dont work. :heh

FoominFan
Member Avatar

JungleKing16
Jan 14 2014, 11:54 PM
I try to make m own... but they really dont work. :heh
Ah, okay. I was hoping you had lots of secret routes kept up out of our reach, and you could spill the beans for us :lol Kind of what cetaka is doing in a sense! Although he is of course using the brilliant routes of SnapDragon, Silent Thunder, slowbro, matthew69, ThumbsOfSteel, and others to form variations that are absolutely optimized. Amazing. Still blows my mind. :notworthy

Gyhujikolp
Member Avatar
hello
I shouldn't post here, 'cause I lost KD. But I like these videos.

Jungle-King
Member Avatar
Cowbear Wrangler
I never really pay attention to routes that much either.

FoominFan
Member Avatar

JungleKing16
Jan 15 2014, 12:35 AM
I never really pay attention to routes that much either.
? I never said I didn't... but if you don't want to follow routes, that's cool. To each their own :cool

I have to point out that the interesting behavior that crbtino and I noticed on the MAS9 video posted above starts at 16:52 I believe... but that might be him trying to spin the katamari so that he can catapult himself up to get the spinning building. But what I don't understand is why he bothers to do this at all! There is a perfectly stable spot on the bridge where he can stay until the crane swings around and glues the building onto the katamari...

...just very strange behavior.

Jungle-King
Member Avatar
Cowbear Wrangler
I noticed that too, that was weird.

slowbro
Member Avatar
way too silly :S

Good to see some katamari being played competitively, and good to see some awesome members old and relatively new talking about it. :thumbsup :D

I prefer using my own routes even though they're always inferior to the world record routes, heh heh. Of course taking others' routes and trying to improve on them is awesome too!

Jungle-King
Member Avatar
Cowbear Wrangler
It's amazing how much strategy can be put into all the games, and reveiws never mention it. Its just something hardcore fans (like us) have to find out ourselves. Beating a record is enough of a prize in itself. :)

kakatatamamariri
Slowbro is back! Yay! :D

FoominFan
Member Avatar

I have to post this because this made me want to build a shrine for cetaka:

Starting at about 2:50, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with this run. I've never seen an ending like it. It was just posted like two days ago.

Jungle-King
Member Avatar
Cowbear Wrangler
Thats it, I need to play KD now.
Edited by Jungle-King, Jan 18 2014, 01:27 AM.

FoominFan
Member Avatar

I know, right?! I could only stand it for like an hour though... this guy sets some high standards... like, cosmically high standards (haha pun may be intended depending on your preference with such things :heh ) . I need to run MAS8 for speed next week using that ending. It seems like despite a sucky run up until like 2m50cm, you can really save the run with that brilliant ending!

Ha, I played some KF with friends today who have little experience with the gameplay, and it was fun to see how far we as competitors have really come with this series by comparison. It's really quite something. -tear-
Edited by FoominFan, Jan 18 2014, 01:48 AM.

ThePrinceOfAllCosmos
I registered, now what?
OH MY GOD!HE'S BACK! :woot :yay

Jungle-King
Member Avatar
Cowbear Wrangler
Hahahaha "cosmic" hahahahaha
I have no way of recording KD gameplay though. :(

kakatatamamariri
JungleKing16
Jan 18 2014, 02:48 AM
Hahahaha "cosmic" hahahahaha
I have no way of recording KD gameplay though. :(
You could always be like ThumbsOfSteel and use a video camera to record.

Jungle-King
Member Avatar
Cowbear Wrangler
It looks like crap and my camera is broken. :(

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · KD Hall of Fame · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This page has been viewed times.
KotW was created on March 8th, 2005 and the above counter has been tracking stats since November 22nd, 2005.
Katamari is a copyright of Namco, we don't own it or claim to own it. Fanart, smilies, etc. are copyright of it's respective members, unless given permission by the
author, usage is prohibited. This website is used for entertainment purposes only.