Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Katamari on the Web. A one stop shop for all your Katamari needs. If you can't or don't want to register, feel free to use the guest forum if you need game help. Registering obviously gives you deeper access to the board and to more features such as access to scoreboards, profile customization, clubs, and polls to name a few. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid e-mail is required to register.

Roll with us? Join here!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Tool-assisted Katamari Runs; Possible new routes?
Topic Started: Dec 5 2016, 05:14 AM (507 Views)
Junglekun
Member Avatar
Back to being a badass pirate!
So, I was searching up Japanese Katamari videos the other night and I came across this:

It's got me wondering how fast you can go with tools. Any thoughts?
Edited by Junglekun, Dec 5 2016, 05:27 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Boss
Member Avatar
Lost
Well all I know is tool assisted speed runs can or are able do these following things:

It can't change something with the game I.E. No cool down for the dash wouldn't count,
It can go in the shortest way possible with perfect framing,
Glitches are allowed but undesirable, as they can be very difficult to do with such frame perfect timings
and or certain states of the game and can cause some speed runs to only be possible due to the help of the tools.

So applying all this info to your suggested tools run of WLK, it might not turn out that well. As you still have to play the game yourself, the tools don't play it for you. So either you have to have over the top accuracy with how long to dash or what to pick up and stuff like that, or you need to rely on a bot to play the game the fastest way possible.

hotdogturtle
Member Avatar
Katamari
Thanks for sharing this. Due to Katamari's complex routing this is something that's always been an interesting thought, but this is the first time I've seen a WLK TAS (and there have only been a few for KD). The video you posted was co-op, so it probably won't help us single-players too much. On the same channel there's also a video of AFAP5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-_q-6_l-4A

Looks great, but then I realized that it's apparently slower than the top 2 normal times, according to our own scoreboard... http://s9.zetaboards.com/Katamari_Damacy/single/?p=8003605&t=328013 So it is sub-optimal, and has plenty of time to save with a better route using its superior execution skills. I don't suppose that we know anything about who made this, huh? Probably an unknown Japanese user who has no connections to the English-speaking Katamari communities.

Junglekun
Member Avatar
Back to being a badass pirate!
I know of the other video, I've done it faster than that myself. (3:59) Hell, my own video is faster and that's in real time

However, comparing their video to mine, it seems that the Japanese player was faster up until he reached around 45m. It made me wonder if we emulate the run up to that point as closely as we could in real time, maybe we all cold get faster scores.

and no, I don't know who this is. Apparently it's someone from niconico (the TAS in question wasn't done by the uploader)
Edited by Junglekun, Dec 7 2016, 12:57 PM.

slowbro
Member Avatar
way too silly :S

Hehheh, I thought PS2 TAS runs would be possible eventually. :D But yeah, with a complex katamari game, a runner who finds a route improvement sure might be able to beat even a really good TAS.

I imagine it would be highly difficult to TAS katamari. But if someone who really knew the games also became really good with the tools, who knows what is possible.

(Sorry, I don't remember my routes or anyone else's so I can't comment on that side of things.)

hotdogturtle
Member Avatar
Katamari
I found another TAS. But it's not something that anyone is expecting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxvd6QAR9Qw

slowbro
Member Avatar
way too silly :S

:D

When I saw the Campfire level, I expected it to be a tool-assisted diameter run using the multi-object grab glitches.

I would be interested in tool-assisted attempts at things like growing super big in the KD Taurus level. :D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · WLK Hall of Fame · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This page has been viewed times.
KotW was created on March 8th, 2005 and the above counter has been tracking stats since November 22nd, 2005.
Katamari is a copyright of Namco, we don't own it or claim to own it. Fanart, smilies, etc. are copyright of it's respective members, unless given permission by the
author, usage is prohibited. This website is used for entertainment purposes only.