Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Katamari on the Web. A one stop shop for all your Katamari needs. If you can't or don't want to register, feel free to use the guest forum if you need game help. Registering obviously gives you deeper access to the board and to more features such as access to scoreboards, profile customization, clubs, and polls to name a few. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid e-mail is required to register.

Roll with us? Join here!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NEW (Mobile) KATAMARI GAME?
Topic Started: Mar 17 2017, 05:02 PM (701 Views)
retroblast
Member Avatar
katamari lives!
Can someone explain this to me? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtQlibinSKk
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kakatatamamariri
Member of the Hoshino Clan
That's really weird. Another mobile game? Hmm... It looks a lot like an alpha for Amazing Katamari Damacy or something, but I doubt that's what it is.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

EndlessVoid0
Member Avatar
Mayhem is everywhere
Well, whatever it is, it's... interesting, to say the least. Looks like another endless runner, and the objects you pick up seem to add more size than usual. Or at least, what passes for usual in katamari. The art style looks odder, as is most clearly shown with the mouse design. The gem system is certainly good for something - but whether it will be an arbitrary points system, a way of unlocking new stuff (like cousins), or something else, it's clearly for mobile, given the size of the screen. It also appears to have a leveling system of some sort. As for other videos about this game, they largest katamari I've seen is 21m 49cm 3mm, so this game is relatively small. Still, it is a game, and it looks like it could become pretty swell with time, if it is an alpha.

As for my idea on what it is? I haven't the foggiest, I'm afraid. But it does look like it could be an alpha for a new game.

hotdogturtle
Member Avatar
Katamari
A few related video clicks later, one of the videos linked to this: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/huo-xingwo-zuorou!minnano/id1185402615?mt=8

As for what it actually is, Google translate gave me this:
***このアプリはカタログIP参加作品。バンダイナムコ公認、非公式アプリです***
*** This application is a catalog IP participation work. Namco Bandai official recognition, unofficial application ***

So it's a 3rd party game that was authorized by Namco-Bandai. Not surprising, since the graphics look... not up to typical standards. Well, the same could be said about the gameplay. Plus it appears to be exclusive to the Japanese iTunes store. Overall not something to get excited about, unfortunately.

retroblast
Member Avatar
katamari lives!
Thanks, hotdogturtle. This clears up a lot.

Rolling9Volt
Member Avatar
Katamari Lurker
Iím happy that Iím able to play amazing katamari damacy

Katach314
Member Avatar
It's funny because sadness
Aren't we all, 9Volt.

And welcome. :D I'd offer to draw you an avatar, but I have no art skills (citation: my avatar).
Edited by Katach314, Dec 16 2017, 10:31 PM.

slowbro
Member Avatar
way too silly :S

It is a real game from a developer called Char Room. :) It is available on iOS and Android in Japan.

edit: It appears the gameís title is

惑星を作ろう!みんなの塊魂

It was easy to find the .apk file, so I can try it on Android. :)

Posted Image

That screen does say copyright Bandai Namco, so maybe they approve of it? (probably not but thatís just a guess)

It uses Unity resources, which are something a lot of tiny developersí games use.

It appears maybe the only controls are right and left, to adjust the rolling angle.

Thanks for posting about this, Retroblast!!
That game is really cool. :)

At first you can only roll a short distance, but as you play more rolls you can level up your time limit and something else, so after a few rolls you can grow larger and make it farther.

And you can collect Cousins. :)
Edited by slowbro, Dec 17 2017, 09:20 PM.

vix
Member Avatar
Run you clever boy and remember...

I've edited the topic title because I think it's causing a bit of confusion since this topic is from March and was bumped up.

slowbro
Member Avatar

Oh :doh it is from March, and I missed it until now. :heh

But Iím liking the game a lot. The only downside Iíve seen is that after a little while it becomes a considerable grindfest, requiring many rolls to win the next upgrade.

But in my opinion, this fangame is much more Ďkatamarií than Amazing Katamari Damacy in a lot of ways. :) Like objects each have a real rollup diameter, not just becoming rollable at a size-up. And the roll is over when time runs out rather than when you lose endless-runner style.

retroblast
Member Avatar
katamari lives!
Sorry if I caused any confusion when I posted about this in March. I didn't want to get anyone's hopes too high up :/

slowbro
Member Avatar

I sure canít speak for everybody, but I mustíve seen the excited title and just assumed it was nothing, and when no more word of a new game appeared I mustíve forgotten about the thread. :heh I should apologize for basically ignoring the thread. :)

But even though this is a loong way from a true new katamari game to go wild about, it is a pretty slick fangame :D and Iím glad I (eventually) started playing it.

The two ways I know to get this would be either to have an Apple or Google account with a Japanese address (probably hard to do), or if youíve got an Android or a PC emulator of an Android youíd just have to search for the .apk file.

This thing really oozes katamari ... I think the developer created their own 3D objects and such, and for all I know the Japanese music might be in copyright violation like the katamari characters might be, but it is all katamari style, to my eyes and ears. :)
I wouldíve put up a video of that katamari fangame by now, except the MHL to HDMI adapter I ordered seems lost in the mail. Iíll be able to record off the Android Iím using now soon enough. :lol

:D
Edited by slowbro, Feb 3 2018, 06:57 PM.

Katach314
Member Avatar
It's funny because sadness
That looks like an absolute blast. Why couldn't we have gotten something like this instead of TapMK or AKD?

...What? You don't have all the answers? Dang. NOW what am I supposed to do?

slowbro
Member Avatar

Jonathan Levitz translated this game's title on YouTube.

惑星を作ろう!みんなの塊魂

apparently translates to

Let's make the planet! Everyone's Katamari

:D

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tea with the King · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This page has been viewed times.
KotW was created on March 8th, 2005 and the above counter has been tracking stats since November 22nd, 2005.
Katamari is a copyright of Namco, we don't own it or claim to own it. Fanart, smilies, etc. are copyright of it's respective members, unless given permission by the
author, usage is prohibited. This website is used for entertainment purposes only.