Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Katamari on the Web. A one stop shop for all your Katamari needs. If you can't or don't want to register, feel free to use the guest forum if you need game help. Registering obviously gives you deeper access to the board and to more features such as access to scoreboards, profile customization, clubs, and polls to name a few. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid e-mail is required to register.

Roll with us? Join here!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Theory On Seagull Park; Please just say something pretty please
Topic Started: Sep 5 2017, 09:26 PM (179 Views)
Katach314
Member Avatar
It's funny because sadness
My theory, which is mine (ahem-hem!) is that KD's Seagull Park was originally its own zone, presumably an Under 1m zone. Here is my evidence:

• The level geometry and textures in the park are much more intricate and complicated then that of the rest of the Under 3m zone (just look at the Seagull Park Site in the collection to see what I mean).
  • Only two stages (MAS7 and MTM) in the world where you start in the Under 3m zone do not start you out in the park (note that the area you start out in in MAS7 seems kind of flat and uninteresting compared to the other places you start in the game, and that in MTM, you start out at 1m, implying you skipped a zone (and Seagull Park has the phoned-in feel of a zone you started out larger than)). Interestingly, Taurus starts you out in Seabreeze Town, even though you normally have to be at least 3m to access it (this isn't relevant to my point, just something interesting).
  • Urchin Town just seems a touch too large for a 50cm katamari.
  • The park has a much higher density of items than the rest of Urchin Town/Paradise.
  • I might just be reading too much into this (fun game: append that phrase to the start of every sentence in this post, or perhaps every sentence I write from now on), but Seagull Park has a surprisingly large amount of unique items associated with it (the Flower Clock, the Park Gates and Park Entrance, the shops...).
  • EDIT (thanks for reminding me, slowbro): It has a tall wall with only one small, but prominent opening in it (which is just right for a barrier!).
If you have something to add to this theory (or if you want to argue against it), go ahead and post! Or just post whatever you want to say! Anything! :heh

I really want to talk to people about katamari.
Edited by Katach314, Sep 6 2017, 02:17 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

slowbro
Member Avatar
way too silly :S

Seagull Park must be the area with a wall around it where one of the Holy Cows waits in Taurus? (and where MAS6 & MAS9 start) Yeah it sure has its own feel. It would be neat to have a stage something like MAS3 that starts at a small diameter and only covers Seagull Park. :)

I wish I could remember the katamari games well enough to contribute to these discussions. :heh I'm not actually sure I'm right about what area Seagull Park is.

Katach314
Member Avatar
Yep, you're thinking of the right place! Whenever I start in there, I try to see how big I can get without leaving the park. I see some restricted-area challenges like that in the Vault... maybe you could try that with Seagull Park in the availible stages? :howyoudoin

Didn't you see the subtitle? Read my last sentence? I want to talk with people about katamari, and I don't care what part of it. If you have something, anything to say about katamari, then please do.

That said, I've noticed an uptick in site activity since I joined. Probably just a coincidence, though. :/

slowbro
Member Avatar

I think you're a huge part of the reason for the increased activity :thumbsup and you've got us actually talking about katamari games. A lot of times most of my posts are just discussing which games I'm currently playing and yakking about mobile game The Simpsons Tapped Out. :wacko It's great having someone here interested in talking katamari!

I try to join in on the conversation, but I haven't thought much about katamari games in recent years.

Katach314
Member Avatar
*Flattered smile coupled with blush* (Vaguely analogous emoticons: :heart :notworthy :yay )

Inspiring katamari-related discussion on here again has been my goal ever since I found this site Summer 2015. There was so much discussion in the past, but it tapered out to nothing in the present (Poor JellyJams... you called out and nobody came...)! I had finally found a constant source of katamari fandom - the last renewable source of katamari. I couldn't let it run dry! :angry So eventually I worked up the courage to join, and...

The problem's worse than I thought. I thought Planet Earth and Pachinko Parlor were abuzz with activity, and that if I wrote some cool stuff in the Cosmos, I could drum up some interest in sticky ball rolling :roll again. But now I see the problem. Everyone's left, because there's nothing left to say.

But I can't give up hope. I've had katamari for as long as I can remember; I can't imagine being without it. I'll always have it (in my heart at worst, on my TV usually), but without at least knowing there are others out there I can talk with, I won't feel so... alone and hopeless. :( I can't go the way of Boss (I kind of miss him, and those like him... they felt like a breath of fresh air...), I've come too far to give up now. I really should just go somewhere else and let katamari take a back seat, but I don't want to. I suppose I'm losing the thread now...

To make a long story short, I'm not giving up. I probably should, but I won't.

And as a reward for making it through that doleful wall of text, have a cousin dance party. You've earned it.

:beyond :dangle :dipp :drive :drooby :harvest :ichigo :kenta :kyun :norn :odeon :pokkle :sherman :signolo
Edited by Katach314, Sep 26 2017, 09:52 PM.

retroblast
Member Avatar
katamari lives!
This is the level that takes place inside Seagull Park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmp9CH2aE-s
It's from the Japanese Demo disc, the same one that had the unused sounds and music hidden inside it.

Katach314
Member Avatar
Thanks, I was looking for some demo footage! :D Maybe this thread would like to hear about it?

Anyway, I see what you mean, but who'd go to the trouble of making all that complex geometry if the only time it would really get the bang for it's buck would be in a demo they could easily set it a zone with better reason to be detailed (like the Takeda Residence Living Room ot N. Pigeon St.)? Especially when they already had a perfectly good disconnected area at the ready? I'm telling ya, we've got a mystery on our hands!

Or maybe I'm just overthinking things again... :shrug

slowbro
Member Avatar

Maybe at some point they were planning to have an all-Seagull Park stage in the finished game.

(Obviously, like all of us I'd love to try that demo. :drool )

retroblast
Member Avatar
katamari lives!
Did anyone else notice that the sound effects from the demo sounded like they were more realistic (in the case of the humans) (or just different than the final game)?

Katach314
Member Avatar
To answer your question, retroblast (AAA WHY AM I THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAPITALIZED THEIR USERNAME ON THIS FORUM AAA), I went back to the video you linked and watched it at full volume, and it was... actually kind of off-putting :/ . The dog sounds were okay (if repetitive), but the child sound effect (which were identical for the girls and boys in the stage) sounds like they just decided on how to murder you, and the man and woman sound effects appear to have been designed to put fear of God in your heart :cold (but at least the Watermelon Boys have the man scream so you can laugh a little :lol ). Combine that with the sterile melody of "You Are Smart", the creepy beta Under 30 Seconds alarm, and the strange novelty of new content for an old, familiar game and you have an unusually unnerving stage of katamari...

To answer your question of realism, though: in terms of more likely reactions to being rolled up, yes (but I have no idea what the kids think they're doing). In terms of whether or not it's cartoony, no. Either way, I'm glad they had less disturbing sound effects in the final release.

But I think it was pretty obvious from the start that there were different sound effects than normal.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot about the Angel Gifts results screen. What was the music selector thinking? :doh
Edited by Katach314, Sep 29 2017, 03:49 PM.

slowbro
Member Avatar

If they had kept those adult screams, I think the game would've been less charming and more disturbing in a bad way. :heh *shiver*

Katach314
Member Avatar
I think we'd all have turned out a little weirder. :devil

This site would be killer around Halloween, though.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tea with the King · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This page has been viewed times.
KotW was created on March 8th, 2005 and the above counter has been tracking stats since November 22nd, 2005.
Katamari is a copyright of Namco, we don't own it or claim to own it. Fanart, smilies, etc. are copyright of it's respective members, unless given permission by the
author, usage is prohibited. This website is used for entertainment purposes only.