Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Katamari on the Web. A one stop shop for all your Katamari needs. If you can't or don't want to register, feel free to use the guest forum if you need game help. Registering obviously gives you deeper access to the board and to more features such as access to scoreboards, profile customization, clubs, and polls to name a few. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid e-mail is required to register.

Roll with us? Join here!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rolling With Katamari; slowbro stumbles on an early katamari mobile game
Topic Started: Dec 26 2017, 11:19 PM (299 Views)
slowbro
Member Avatar
way too silly :S

edit: Now that Iíve seen its English title Rolling With Katamari, I think I remember posts about this game in the past. But now I get to play it. :woot :heh

http://os-android.liqucn.com/yx/15758.shtml

It actually looks a lot like Katamari Kazoku by JsmithLMSL.

Be careful if you download off that page. If you get an .apk with a katamari name and a Prince head as an app icon itís the game and I think itís safe to install, but some other things off that page seem to ask for too many Android app priviliges and may be malicious.

info on the game:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Namco-Rolls-Out-the-Addictive-Katamari-Mobile-Game-97258.shtml

Honestly it doesnít seem that great. :lol It feels to me a lot like an unprofessional fangame, but that wonít stop me from enjoying it. :) edit: The graphics look like a fangame, soo many stages use those same city-level look and sprites, and it is unnecessarily hard sometimes due to the precision required to avoid wacky bounces off big objects ... but it is a lot of fun, and has a lot of well-designed stages and awesome stage goals.
Edited by slowbro, Jan 16 2018, 04:26 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Katach314
Member Avatar
It's funny because sadness
I remember playing that! :D The stage select sucks (I had no idea how to scroll levels, so I was sick playing the first few levels until I restarted the game), but the whole package is moderately satisfying (I'm especially good of the last level, even though I only got to play it one due to my stage select issues).

As an aside, no-one seems to have noticed this, so... here you go.

slowbro
Member Avatar

Yeah, on the stage select screen, whenever I try to tap the down arrow I get the last stage I can currently see on the list. I have somewhat more luck with the up arrow.

I am through like 10-15 stages so far ... the puzzle aspect seems pretty strong I guess, in that Iíve gotta find just the right places to grow or else I fail to complete the stage.

Maybe you and your extensive ideas can help flesh out some kind of Katamari Forever: Deluxe 10th Anniversary Edition. :D :thumbsup

Katach314
Member Avatar
The CowBear stages are impossible. I needed help with #3. Good luck.

Katamari Forever: Unexperienced Adventure, thank you very much. Just send any ideas over to that thread.

By the way, if anyone wants to brainstorm project ideas, I'm always available...

So, often he'll just get lost in self-promotion in the middle of unrelated threads?

It's his way. I find it's best to just ignore him.

slowbro
Member Avatar

I am currently quite stuck on Rock n Rolling 3 :D although Iím getting closer. I reached about 38m, then had just barely enough time to roll up one of the barrier buildings blocking the way to the final checkpoint. But at least I verified that the katamari was big enough to roll it up. :lol
I completed Rock n Rolling 3 with a couple seconds left. :) Iíll probably get stuck again before too long; this seems harder than the average katamari game to me.

I do also find it a bit hard to stay motivated. The game goes through long stretches where the levels all look pretty much the same. Although it is nice it has so many stages. :)
I played the last few levels this morning. Iíll probably make some videos of this game, though I donít know if anyone will like them :) ...

I found some stages to be so easy to pass and some so hard. :lol I see this game as much more of a puzzle game than an action game, where you really have to find a route and try to learn at what size you can roll up certain objects. ... And rollup diameters change from level to level. :lol

Unfortunately, in the .apk copy I have, I havenít gotten any sound to work.
Edited by slowbro, Dec 29 2017, 08:40 PM.

Katach314
Member Avatar
So did you like the last stage, where you roll up the world? I did. Especially the little islands you start out rolling.

slowbro
Member Avatar

Yeah, itís pretty neat, and good for variety, and even quite different from the other gamesí roll up the world stages. I only played it once so far (and barely finished). I started out aiming for Central America and other areas with tiny nations ... Woops! :lol Gotta get some small islands first.

Katach314
Member Avatar
And now you're trapped in unworking-stage-select hell, where everything beyond the counter levels may as well not exist?

slowbro
Member Avatar

Heh heh, yeah, those up and down arrows basically donít work. Iíll be resetting my data before long.
I may have found some kind of Java version of this for Android ...

http://phoneky.com/games/?id=j4j46071

But it looks like it is incompatible with my Androids.

I am still poking around the web :heh looking for a version with sound or a better download page than the one in the first post.
Should we move this thread to Katamari on the Phone, since weíre discussing an official mobile katamari game? Iíd be in favor of it.

And I am making videos of this game :lol :D ... vix, is it alright if I put this gameís videos in our mobile Video Vault?

:)
Edited by slowbro, Jan 10 2018, 07:59 PM.

vix
Member Avatar
Run you clever boy and remember...

Sure, how do you want to do it? Just in the mobile section like the other games? You should be able to add them in now if you want. You should still have mod powers to all the video databases I believe. Do I need to update the little key that's there that lists the games?

Also: moved to mobile forum per request. :)
Edited by vix, Jan 16 2018, 11:24 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

slowbro
Member Avatar

Yup, I still have superpowers in the Video Vault. :harvest I just thought I should ask for permission first, though I thought thereíd be no problem. I think Iíll label the videos RWK (even though technically I am playing Japanese version Katamari Mobile).

Katach314
Member Avatar
Will you be using your superpowers for good, or for evil?

Hint: one of those choices are significantly more interesting.

vix
Member Avatar
Run you clever boy and remember...

slowbro
Jan 17 2018, 12:02 AM
Yup, I still have superpowers in the Video Vault. :harvest I just thought I should ask for permission first, though I thought thereíd be no problem. I think Iíll label the videos RWK (even though technically I am playing Japanese version Katamari Mobile).
Alright, I'l update that little key to reflect the RWK. :china
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

slowbro
Member Avatar

Cool :D ... I may be too lazy to add any videos today.

If I were gonna do anything interesting with my superpowers in Video Vault, well, it might be a more interesting place. :heh I could occasionally replace a katamari video with an Aerosmith video?

Good or evil I donít know which, I just add videos once in a while. :lol

tldraco
Member Avatar
TEAM COWBEAR
I remember this game!

I actually have a story for all of you (trust me, it's related).

A while back there was this Japanese artist who made all these fan-cousins. Honestly, her ideas were a breath of fresh air from the lackluster addition we got in KF.

Anyway, I asked her for permission to use her artwork as an avatar of mine here on the forum a loooong time ago (we're talking like 5+years ago). She agreed (we did this through email), and I showed her this forum by sending her links. Her English was broken, but I could still understand her. After surfing through the forum (I suppose), she believed ME to be the creator of this katamari mobile game!

I don't know what I said or did in this forum to give her even the slightest clue that I had anything to do with this mobile game's development, but apparently she wouldn't even take no for an answer. She told me I was being a humble game creator despite my attempts to inform her otherwise :lol

I deny, therefore I am.

Thanks for the memories, slowbro!
Edited by tldraco, Jan 27 2018, 05:00 PM.

slowbro
Member Avatar

Thatís a wild story. :D

Thank you for the joy, and frustrations, and nostalgia, of playing through this lengthy 2d katamari game you made. :) :P

Speaking of this game, I swear I remember some of these stages from years ago, from something I played on a Windows PC. Or maybe Iím just full of deja vu. :lol
Edited by slowbro, Jan 27 2018, 07:29 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Katamari on the Phone · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This page has been viewed times.
KotW was created on March 8th, 2005 and the above counter has been tracking stats since November 22nd, 2005.
Katamari is a copyright of Namco, we don't own it or claim to own it. Fanart, smilies, etc. are copyright of it's respective members, unless given permission by the
author, usage is prohibited. This website is used for entertainment purposes only.