Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
We Moved!!! This board is read only now.
The new site can be found here:
https://katamariontheweb.jcink.net
or
http://www.katamariontheweb.com

Welcome to Katamari on the Web. A one stop shop for all your Katamari needs. If you can't or don't want to register, feel free to use the guest forum if you need game help. Registering obviously gives you deeper access to the board and to more features such as access to scoreboards, profile customization, clubs, and polls to name a few. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. A valid e-mail is required to register.

Roll with us? Join here!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
[MMK Help] Camel Level (Truffle Desert)
Topic Started: Apr 9 2018, 01:50 PM (256 Views)
retroblast
Member Avatar
katamari lives!
I'm having a hard time getting past $85k on this stage, so if anyone has any helpful hints on this stage, that would be very nice. And Slowbro, it would be awesome if you would go the extra mile and get your high score on tape, but if that's too hard don't do it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FoominFan
Member Avatar
Moment Generating Function

It has been several years since I played this level (I think 2012 might be a generous estimate), but I'll give you my two cents. Firstly, it can be very tricky putting on size until you hit around 2m because small-enough items are spread out over a large portion of the map, and, at times, some of the more "ideal" items that you should integrate into a route that increases your diameter quickly are swapped out for smaller or larger items and will force you to improvise (requiring you to have a back-up plan or two up your sleeve). If I recall correctly, there is a wide variety of medium to large items that are randomly generated each time you run the level which will make or break your performance even if you have a quick route to ~2m. These larger items (the "racing cars" (4m49cm0mm), for example) also vary in quantity (e.g. sometimes there are as few as two, sometimes several), which can make the difference between a sub-4m50cm score and a healthy 5m+ score. In general, the larger your diameter, the larger your value score, especially because the large items are worth a substantial amount. FYI, disappearance of small items is negligible (unlike WLK/KF's money stage, we don't have to construct a route to grab certain small expensive items before they disappear), so the huge players at work here are 1) getting lucky with random item generation and 2) having a speedy route to ~2m so you have enough time to clear the level.
Edited by FoominFan, Apr 9 2018, 06:46 PM.

slowbro
Member Avatar
way too silly :S

I am pretty sure I never actually learned object arrangements in that stage. It seems like I played it pretty much by trying to grow as big as I could, and at certain diameters certain objects were important.

Heh heh, thatís not very helpful. :heh I may try to record a video. Iím guessing I probably never taped this stage?
I never learned this stage as well as FoominFan and others, so even if I manage a decent video it probably wonít be super-helpful, but Iím trying. :)

After a few attempts ... If I reach certain points of time still not up to certain diameters, a lot of times I start over. But Iím not too quick to start over ... that attempt where I have some difficulty earlier just might be the attempt where there is enough big stuff so I can reach 4m50cm and pick up racecars (which kinda opens the floodgate for a big diameter and high score I think). In the 65cm range you can get pizzas (not huge growth but easy to see), over 90cm green balloons (kind of big growth), like from 1m30cm to 1m70cm certain people become rollable, the TVs are good around 1m50cm, near 3m the nautilus things help, and somewhere over 3m30cm the spirit statues become rollable. Stay near the oasis at least until like 75-80cm.
Iím still trying but hereís a video. :)

Edited by slowbro, Apr 12 2018, 11:22 AM.

Katach314
Member Avatar
It's funny because sadness
Interesting move, rolling around in the pond like that prior to leaving the oasis. I normally just go straight into the sand and pick up all those nearby small items.

FoominFan
Member Avatar

Katach314
Apr 12 2018, 09:26 PM
Interesting move, rolling around in the pond like that prior to leaving the oasis. I normally just go straight into the sand and pick up all those nearby small items.
I found myself rolling around in the pond until ~54-55cm for a long, long while and then once wondered if it actually makes a difference. After several runs, it turns out it really doesn't... guess it's just a habit for some of us. :P

Also, I tend to roll closer to the oasis early on (pre-80cm) than slowbro shows here. I find that there are a good amount of pretty decent items close by hidden in the sand - you can avoid the burden of larger, oddly-shaped items poking out of the sand (although, yes, there are still sometimes some).

slowbro
Member Avatar

Definitely listen to FoominFan for advice rather than my video. :D I think I used to skip the pond entirely.

I am no pro at this stage by any means.
Yeah, watching the video I see that I was kinda pushing far out into the sand in the early going this attempt. I think I usually donít so much. And I took way over a minute to reach 1m, so in the early going I wasnít at a great pace that time.

I love it when there are no large objects right by the oasis, but it is so rare.

FoominFan
Member Avatar

slowbro
Apr 13 2018, 09:57 AM
I love it when there are no large objects right by the oasis, but it is so rare.
This stage is almost completely dependent on random item placement, so any high scores achieved (cyberscore is probably the most up to date) are likely due to a lucky combo of that and a decently speedy first minute and a half. Choices like whether to spend time at the pond are totally trivial. :P

slowbro mentioned some key items up above which are all great benchmarks. The round corals just before 1m and gravestones and lion statues around 3m are super helpful for size boosts too.

retroblast
Member Avatar
katamari lives!
Wow, slowbro. Thanks for recording this level. Even though you uploaded it yesterday, it made my day today. Now, all we need to figure out is how to get those race cars!

slowbro
Member Avatar

I think I remember what happened in the past when I was working on this stage. I think I lost interest in trying for 4m50cm or more than about $90,000 in the timed mode, since I was coming up short so much, and I think I took a lot of tries at Eternal, trying to fill up on lots of small stuff before growing too big. I actually donít remember for sure if I actually got to roll up racecars. :heh

On our scoreboard, I guess I did hit 4m49cm once. In recent days Iíve reached 4m44cm.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · MMK Help · Next Topic »
Add Reply

This page has been viewed times.
KotW was created on March 8th, 2005 and the above counter has been tracking stats since November 22nd, 2005.
Katamari is a copyright of Namco, we don't own it or claim to own it. Fanart, smilies, etc. are copyright of it's respective members, unless given permission by the
author, usage is prohibited. This website is used for entertainment purposes only.