|PLEASE NOTE: All new memberships to MarriedToTheCanadianForces.ca must be approved by an Administrator of the forum before the new Members are able to view and post in the boards. Please allow up to 48 hours for your membership to be approved; we do try to approve new Members at least once a day but we are not always able to, as all of MCF's Staff Members are volunteers. Once your membership is approved, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please keep your eyes open for this email - it is possible that this email may find itself in your Junk Mail folder as well, depending on your email settings, so don't forget to look in there as well.
If you have waited longer than 48 hours and your membership has not been approved, please send us an email at email@example.com, with the username you put in the application form and we will look into the situation for you.
MCF SITE VISION, MISSION AND RULES
ALL members are required to read the rules below. Once you have read the rules, we ask that you ‘sign’ them by replying in this thread.
PLEASE NOTE THAT BY REPLYING TO THIS THREAD, YOU ARE SHOWING THAT:
a. YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THESE RULES STATE;
b. YOU AGREE TO ABIDE BY THE RULES STATED BELOW AT ALL TIMES WHEN NAVIGATING, POSTING OR USING THE PM AND THE SHOUTBOX FUNCTIONS.
If you cannot agree to these rules, then MCF may not be the place for you.
Any questions or comments about the rules below or about how MCF is managed and moderated should be directed to the Staff VIA PM.
It is MCF’s vision to be a kind and welcoming family oriented community that embraces people's similarities and differences.
To work hard to make MCF a family friendly place where those connected to the military and ‘living the dream’ can come to ask questions, get support when they’re feeling down or lonely, and make friends that last a lifetime.
A FEW SIMPLE RULES FOR POSTING:
Posts that do not meet the rules below are subject to action from the Staff. This can include, but is not limited to, removing the post or thread, locking the thread, loss of privileges, i.e. use of the PM function, suspension or banning.
1. It is MCF’s purpose to be a supportive community. If you can’t say anything supportive to someone's post, don’t say anything.
2. Agree to disagree. You are more than welcome to give your opinion as long as you respect those who don’t have the same opinion as you do. Remember the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you!
An example of disagreeing respectfully: “I don’t agree but I accept that your views/feelings are yours and therefore valid.”
3. If you don’t like what you’re reading and if it is really upsets you, you have a few choices:
a. You can choose to ignore the thread;
b. You can choose to reply but by doing so, you choose to follow the guidelines listed below as well as the rules stated in this post.
We ask that before you reply, you walk away from the thread for a little while to allow yourself time to cool down and gather your thoughts. When you are ready to write up your reply, please read, re-read, and re-re-read your reply before submitting it. Each time you read your response, try to see how it may sound to someone else.
For example, in a thread where someone is upset with the way they were treated by the military, please take the time to read your response from the point-of-view of (1) a military spouse or family member, (2) a member of the military, (3) a new military spouse – how would those people feel if they read your response?
4. Do not generalize, bash or name-call! If you have a beef with how you were treated, direct your beef towards the treatment you received, not the people.
Again, we ask that before you reply, you walk away from the thread for a little while to allow yourself to cool down and gather your thoughts. When you are ready to write up your reply, please read, re-read, and re-re-read your reply before submitting it. Each time you read your response, try to see how it may sound to someone else.
5. Remember this is an online community. You can’t see someone’s face when they are posting, so take what you read with a grain of salt.
6. This is a family oriented site. As such, there will be no swearing, profanity, or inappropriate sexual references.
7. No racism, threatening, personal attacks, or bashing will be tolerated.
8. Don’t hijack a thread. Start your own if you have something off topic to discuss. Threads that have gone off topic will be separated into different threads by the Staff, with a note added to the forum.
9. The decisions of the Staff, that includes Moderators and Admin group, are FINAL. Arguing with the decisions of the Staff openly on the boards will not be tolerated. If you have an issue with a decision made by the Staff, you must contact the Staff VIA PM with your concerns.
1. ALL links must be pre-approved by a Staff Member BEFORE they are posted. The ONLY exception to this are government links, e.g. those ending in .gc.ca, this includes all level of government: federal, provincial and municipal, or media links, such as CBC, CTV, The Globe and Mail, etc. Unapproved links will be removed without notice.
2. If you receive a PM from another member that you feel is of an attacking, harassing or abusive nature and would like the Staff to intervene, please hold on to those PM’s. Without the PM’s we cannot take action.
3. While we may feel comfortable in posting personal information here, we remind you that we are an online community. We ask that you do not post your, or that of another member:
- Address (home or email);
- Telephone number;
- The name, rank, unit, etc. of a CF members.
If this information is posted, it will be removed.
Posting your full name is tolerated but know that you do so at your own risk.
Operational Security is everyone's responsibility. It is impossible to know who may be here on this site, and posting any of the following sensitive information could compromise the safety of our military and of their families.
- Deployment/Redeployment chalk dates/times;
- Location of any camps overseas;
- The job that your loved one is doing overseas;
While not part of operational security, we respectfully ask that you refrain from posting the names of any military or DND employees who have been injured or killed while in theater until the newspapers publish it. This will ensure that the next of kin have been notified through the proper channels and not by reading your post.
THE SPECIAL FORCES:
ANY discussions regarding the Canadian Special Forces will be removed. If your family is considering a move to the Special Forces and you would like more information, we strongly recommend that you go through the proper venues. These include: your local MFRC, the Base Orderly Room, the Base Personnel Selection Officer or the CANSOFCOM website.
SOME RANDOM NOTES:
A. All members of the Staff are volunteers … please don’t abuse them. They have lives and families and obligations outside of MCF too.
When you send a PM to a Staff member, that Staff member will do their best to respond to you within 48 hours. If you have not received a response to your PM within 48 hours, we ask that you consider sending the same Staff member another PM to find out if they have had a chance to read it, or send your message to another Staff member.
B. Remember that there are people on the site from all walks of life – the person you may be calling down to the ends of the earth could be a member on here.
C. The Staff come to all decisions about how to run the site AS A TEAM. As such it may take some time for the decision to be agreed upon and finalized.
D. Any concerns or questions about how MCF is managed and moderated must be sent to a Staff member VIA PM. Posting your frustrations on the main boards will only cause hard feelings and mob mentality all around. This is NOT the image we want to give to someone new to The Life, who really needs us to show them that, although dysfunctional, we are a family who they can turn to.
E. As Members, you all have a responsibility to do your best to be understanding of others and to be conscious of the diversity of our group. Make an effort to truly understand the reason why a fellow member may have made a post. Are they looking for support, advice, a shoulder to lean on? Keep an open mind.
F. Membership here is a privilege, not a right. Abusing the rules repeatedly will incur consequences.
1. Monitor their forums regularly.
2. Respond within 48 hours to a PM.
3. Set the example for how to post on the site.
Updated: April 05, 2010