Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Miniature Railway World Forums, the leading miniature railway forums on the internet, with over 1100 members.

The forums are full of discussion ranging from current activities to historical research.

There is also member-only access to a trip-report, photos & videos section, sells/wanted rooms and the off topic discussion areas.

So why not join in? Registration is quick, easy, and of course free! If you have any trouble, email us at info@miniaturerailwayworld.co.uk

Click Here to Register at Miniature Railway World Forums

Please note, you must be registered and logged-in to access all the forums

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hastings Miniature Railway
Topic Started: 25 Aug 2008, 11:49 AM (3,567 Views)
peterbryant
Member Avatar
Director
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just been looking through some pictures of the Hastings Miniature Railway and discovered this one:

http://flickr.com/photos/suburbanmum/2788055234/

I just wondered whether the locomotive pictured here is a new Keef S/O that has delivered recently?

http://photosbyjosh.fotopic.net/p29540501.html

Comparing it with Swee' Pea, it is slightly different, but whether it's just Swee' Pea rebuilt, I don't know!

Thanks
Peter
Edited by peterbryant, 25 Aug 2008, 11:50 AM.
Peter Bryant
Forum Admin

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

craiggluyas
Member Avatar
Director
Yep, thats a keef loco! I would suggest its a new one, as it would be a massive rebuild otherwise!

Craig
Craig Gluyas

Talking to one's self is a sign of madness. I talk to my imaginary friend.

trainguy
No Avatar
Porter
[ * ]
The works number of the original 'Swee Pea' (built by Keef in 1990) was 31. I notice this "new" loco has a number '31' plate on the side. I'm therefore guessing it's the same loco. Maybe it recently went back to Keef's for an overhaul/rebuild? Only a guess though!

Glen
My Flickr photo site
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trainsandstuff/collections/

colinpeake
Member Avatar
MRW Digest Editor
I too think it is a rebuild, look at the shape of the bottom of bunker/top of bufferbeam, Keef probably wouldn't replicate that in a new build, and the cab arrangement looks distinctly un-Keef to me too. The level of polish isn't what I would expect from a newly outshoopped Keef loco, so I suspect this is a local rebuild.

Colin
Colin Peake
MRW Digest Editor

Visit my MOspace to support Movember: http://uk.movember.com/mospace/4783957
My blog: O9 Modeller

David Humphreys
Member Avatar
Director
colinpeake
26 Aug 2008, 09:27 AM
I too think it is a rebuild, look at the shape of the bottom of bunker/top of bufferbeam, Keef probably wouldn't replicate that in a new build,
Also the four rivets/coach bolts on the back wall confirm the same.

dereksmith
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I went to Hastings today (Wednesday) and had a chat with the guy operating the railway. The story is that the Keef loco was playing up a lot early in the season and repairs would need the body to be removed. As the body was going to be dismantled he thought he would have a go at designing and building a new body more in keeping with a steam loco than the rather angular Keef thing. So it is a rebuild of the Keef loco done in-house at Hastings. Apparently it has proved very popular with the kids - not least because it is now blue, and the rebuilt body makes servicing etc. easier. During the winter the 7 coach set was also repainted into a standard livery with Hastings Miniature Railway logos. There are another 5 coaches available for service if needed but the operator is really looking for a second loco or at least a chassis (0-4-0/0-6-0) similar to the existing Keef. He doesn't want steam as IC is much easier on that kind of line. If anyone knows of such an animal can they let me know and I will pass the information on.
I have to say that the railway is looking very much better than it has for years with new signage, livery etc.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Smith
dereksmith@whitstablepier.com

peterbryant
Member Avatar
Director
Derek,

Thanks for the report and pictures, good to hear in detail about whats been happening.

I prefer the rebuilt Keef, and it's good to see the line, as you say, in a much better than it has been previously.

Is the locomotive still named Swee Pea?

Thanks
Peter
Edited by peterbryant, 27 Aug 2008, 05:55 PM.
Peter Bryant
Forum Admin

Timbo
Member Avatar
Timbo
There's a loco with a dreadful body, ex-Wat Tyler, at Devon Railway Centre for sale.

Posted Image
Tim Dunn
MRW Moderator

My Miniature, NG and heritage photos on Flickr >>
Tweeting on railway, tourism and heritage matters >>

dereksmith
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
Peter, Yes the loco is still named Sweet Pea and carries the plates on the smokebox.
Tim, thanks - will let the guy know.

Derek Smith

davidgwr
No Avatar
Guard
[ *  *  * ]
I have a feeling that when built the Hastings MR was owned by Captian Howey and had a model of a Royal Scot - does anyonme have any further info

dereksmith
Member Avatar
Chief Engineer
See the topic re 10.25" gauge line at Romney.
Derek Smith

peterbryant
Member Avatar
Director
Have found a Facebook Group for the Hastings Miniature Railway at: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=309616582920#!/group.php?gid=309616582920&ref=ts

A new locomotive called Speedy Fizzle is being constructed by the railway, and almost complete, due for Easter.

I will contact the owner for more details.

Thanks
Peter
Peter Bryant
Forum Admin

sedwards_458
No Avatar
Ticket Collector
[ *  * ]
Yes it did used to have a royal scott.. this ran at oak hill manor afterwards. Any one know where it is now?

ESR300
Member Avatar
Operations Manager
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
sedwards_458
24 Mar 2010, 10:40 PM
Yes it did used to have a royal scott.. this ran at oak hill manor afterwards. Any one know where it is now?
I think it's the one at the Eastleigh Lakeside Railway, or is that the one from Syon Park?
http://www.youtube.com/Markeatonlord
http://www.markeaton-park-light-railway.webs.com

Murray Tremellen
Member Avatar
Director
Black Thunder
25 Mar 2010, 12:20 PM
I think it's the one at the Eastleigh Lakeside Railway, or is that the one from Syon Park?
IIRC Eastleigh's "Scot" came from Syon Park. The ex-Oakhill one is at the Royal Victoria Railway, awaiting restoration.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 8" to 12" · Next Topic »
Add Reply