Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Miniature Railway World Forums, the leading miniature railway forums on the internet, with over 1400 members.

The forums are full of discussion ranging from current activities to historical research.

There is also member-only access to a trip-report, photos & videos section, sells/wanted rooms and the off topic discussion areas.

So why not join in? Registration is quick, easy, and of course free! If you have any trouble, email us at info@miniaturerailwayworld.co.uk

Click Here to Register at Miniature Railway World Forums

Please note, you must be registered and logged-in to access all the forums

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Dave Holroyde
Topic Started: 6 Jul 2016, 12:23 PM (1,066 Views)
dereksmith
Member Avatar
Deputy Manager
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Miniature Railway Museum Trust posted this online yesterday

"The Trustees are very sorry indeed to note the sad passing of Dave Holroyde, perhaps the most thorough record-keeper and historian of miniature railways. He served on the Trust until his death on Saturday and we will always be grateful for the hard work he put in, not least in establishing a storage facility for our records and archive at Beamish. Away from miniature railways, he was a font of knowledge on industrial railways and had been a founder member of the Severn Valley Railway. His love of good beer and fun will add to his legacy. Dave Holroyde, gone too soon, we will miss you and thank you for everything."

Dave was a good friend of many on this forum, and an unrivaled fount of knowledge on Miniature Railway history. He will be much missed. RIP Dave.
Derek Smith
dereksmith@westgateonsea.net
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

colinpeake
Member Avatar
MRW Digest Editor
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Thank you for posting this Derek. Craig and I had discussed last night how best to convey this news on the forum as it hadn't (at that stage) been posted widely, however since that conversation the MRMT posting occurred.

I first made contact with Dave nearly 20 years ago and always found him to to be knowledgeable and helpful, even with my more oddball enquiries! We eventually met and then worked together on various MRMT projects. He will be greatly missed in the miniature railway, narrow gauge and industrial circles.

Thanks Dave.

Colin :(

Attached to this post:
Attachments: BonnieDundee006.jpg (103.53 KB)
Colin Peake
MRW Digest Editor

My blog: O9 Modeller

penrose
Member Avatar
Operations Manager
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A sad loss. It always amazed me how you could drop him a line about something obscure and he would send all sorts of interesting information by return. I hope his meticulous records will be well looked after as his legacy.

MickT
No Avatar
Guard
[ *  *  * ]
Saddened and shocked to hear of the premature passing of Dave. I did not know him well, having only met him a few times, but on these occasions that we chatted, I was impressed by his vast knowledge of the world of both miniature and narrow gauge railways; and his friendliness. RIP Dave.

Mick
Mick

Ivan
Member Avatar
Deputy Manager
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hi All

I just wanted to say that I share sadness at the loss of such a nice person. We met only occasionally, usually at AGM's or open days, but Dave was always really open and easy to talk to. His knowledge of Miniature Railways was an inspiration and he will be missed.

Ivan

P Scott
No Avatar
Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
When starting a new research project, Dave was always my first point of call. His information, loco records and photos were always speedily supplied and made a great base to kick of the research.

I only met him a handful of times, but we regularly exchanged emails and phone calls.

I always found him approachable, helpful and very knowledgable. A great loss to the railway world, and I am sure to his family. Very sad.

Peter S.

Rhylmr
No Avatar
Guard
[ *  *  * ]
Some people who obtained information from Dave Holroyde may not know that he maintained a system of hand written record cards, one for every miniature locomotive ever built. Attached is a pic of the main sections of these little cards prior to transportation.

Dave left instructions regarding his 'stuff' in the event of his death. The card index and all of his photographs, slides, books etc. with respect to miniature railways are now located at the Narrow Gauge Railway Society Library.

http://prsl.uk/ngrs/library.htm

In choosing the NGRS library Dave elected for longevity, because the NGRS library is one of the largest and longest established railway archives anywhere in the UK.

The NGRS librarian Jim Hay and his support team are all volunteers. I expect it will take them some months to review the legacy from Dave Holroyde, and I would expect that this review may also consider steps they could take to make the material accessible to interested parties in the future.

Best Wishes

Simon Townsend
Attached to this post:
Attachments: IMG_2607v2.jpg (85.05 KB)

peterl
Member Avatar
Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Simon. Good to hear that Dave's records are in safe keeping. I am sure that many people will be looking to have access once they have been integrated into the library.

Peter
"Consumption is the sole purpose of production"
My Webpage

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Introductions & Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply