Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Miniature Railway World Forums, the leading miniature railway forums on the internet, with over 1400 members.

The forums are full of discussion ranging from current activities to historical research.

There is also member-only access to a trip-report, photos & videos section, sells/wanted rooms and the off topic discussion areas.

So why not join in? Registration is quick, easy, and of course free! If you have any trouble, email us at info@miniaturerailwayworld.co.uk

Click Here to Register at Miniature Railway World Forums

Please note, you must be registered and logged-in to access all the forums

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Where is this?
Topic Started: 7 Dec 2016, 10:21 PM (3,255 Views)
Nick Tozer
Member Avatar
Deputy Manager
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I came across the attached image today - I have no details other than that the image has the posted title of WHERE :)

Obviously I don't own this image but hope reproducing it here in the hopes of solving the mystery justify.

Regards

Nick
Attached to this post:
Attachments: Where.jpg (302.06 KB)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

colinpeake
Member Avatar
MRW Digest Editor
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Looks like a Carland Scot - but where indeed?!

As this looks like it's 10 1/4" gauge I have moved the topic to the relevant section...

Colin
Colin Peake
MRW Digest Editor

My blog: O9 Modeller

John Nicholson
No Avatar
Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Not sure at all, but could it be the early incarnation of the Whitby railway.

P Scott
No Avatar
Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I agree with Colin - it is definitely a Carland Royal Scot.

I did wonder if it was the elusive photo I was searching for of the Carland Scot at Cleethorpes! However, it doesn't look quite right. What do you think Colin - you know Cleethorpes better than me....

Peter S.

colinpeake
Member Avatar
MRW Digest Editor
P Scott
11 Dec 2016, 06:44 PM
I did wonder if it was the elusive photo I was searching for of the Carland Scot at Cleethorpes! However, it doesn't look quite right. What do you think Colin - you know Cleethorpes better than me....
Hmm... I don't think that it is Cleethorpes. It is single track, and the only stretch of single track was down to the sheds at the Thrunscoe end, which wasn't used for passenger trains.

I do think however that it is coastal, there is an openness that makes it look that way. I did wonder if it might be Skegness but the coaches don't match. Whitby is an interesting suggestion but did the line there exist before the Ian Allan installation?

Colin
Colin Peake
MRW Digest Editor

John Nicholson
No Avatar
Engineer
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It was the fencing that made me think of Whitby and it certainly has a North East feel could it be higher up than Whitby.

Ivan
Member Avatar
Deputy Manager
Hi All

I am not sure what I can add to help with the identification, but it is a great picture and I am amazed by how a railway, whatever size, can vanish from memory so easily. Someone invested a lot of time and energy into developing the railway - wherever it was - and many youngsters, perhaps still living, will have ridden on it.

As to my comments on the picture, I agree it has a seaside feel, in fact could the sea be visible in the background ? The sapling looks newly planted although the track, possibly laid in something like 'Murthwaite sand' looks to have been in place for a while. I suspect the North East 'feel' is from the clothes more than anything, but I am not so sure, could it be along the south coast somewhere perhaps ?

I am fascinated to see if someone can identify the scene.

Ivan

bvr379
No Avatar
Director
Try a search on Facebook, which tends to have greater footfall than this site
David Barnes

Bure Valley Railway - The 15" gauge railway with powerful steam locomotives.
Trains between Wroxham & Aylsham in Norfolk.
Daily services between 24th March and 28th October 2018.
Please look up the BVR website, for more details.

Ivan
Member Avatar
Deputy Manager
Oh no he used the f word !

Seriously though I would like to know how facebook would help ? Yes, it does reach many places that MRW does not, but unfortunately we tend not post videos of kittens or precocious children singing along to Xfactor.

I am not against facebook (entirely) although it is a fad - anyone remember 'Friends Reunited' ? Also it seems to me - yes I am a facebook user - to be a black hole, how do you actually track where your enquiry has gone and who has seen it, let alone responded ?

Then there is the fact that on MRW if you ask a question about miniature railways you generally get informed and sensible responses, on facebook there are a lot of responses along the lines of 'looks like an old toy train to me' or 'must be on the Southern cos it isn't moving'.

I agree that getting broader viewing of topics would be useful, it is likely that the youngsters pictured here for example are not MRW users, but they may well be on facebook, is there a way to lead facebook enquiries back to this site for responses ?

Long live MRW and well done to all who run it.

Kind Regards, Ivan

bvr379
No Avatar
Director
In general I agree with you Ivan. However, if you go into any of the following "F" sites you may find what you are looking for:

Narrow Gauge Railway Society.
Narrow gauge railways
Narrow Gauge Enthusiasts Group
Miniature Railways Appreciation
Minimal Gauge Railways

My own favourite is "The Bure Valley Railway", but I'm very biased.

I hope that you find what you are looking for.

Best wishes,

David
Edited by bvr379, 14 Dec 2016, 05:17 PM.
David Barnes

Bure Valley Railway - The 15" gauge railway with powerful steam locomotives.
Trains between Wroxham & Aylsham in Norfolk.
Daily services between 24th March and 28th October 2018.
Please look up the BVR website, for more details.

colinpeake
Member Avatar
MRW Digest Editor
Ivan
14 Dec 2016, 11:03 AM
I am not against facebook (entirely) although it is a fad - anyone remember 'Friends Reunited' ? Also it seems to me - yes I am a facebook user - to be a black hole, how do you actually track where your enquiry has gone and who has seen it, let alone responded ?

Then there is the fact that on MRW if you ask a question about miniature railways you generally get informed and sensible responses, on facebook there are a lot of responses along the lines of 'looks like an old toy train to me' or 'must be on the Southern cos it isn't moving'.
As David has explained there are a (growing) number of miniature railway groups on Facebook - however as the photo's origins are not known I would have reservations about posting it on any of them - others however may be less considerate. Within these groups the post would be searchable and the responses visible, although I do wonder how useful/locate-able any information held within will be in the future - and you are at the whim of a group owner who could simply pull the plug.

Thankyou for your words of support for MRW Ivan!

Now, does anyone have a list of Carland's locomotives...

Colin
Colin Peake
MRW Digest Editor

craiggluyas
Member Avatar
Director
I'd guess at Maldon, a similar picture Here shows very similar tall coaches.

Craig
Craig Gluyas

Talking to one's self is a sign of madness. I talk to my imaginary friend.

colinpeake
Member Avatar
MRW Digest Editor
craiggluyas
17 Dec 2016, 12:36 PM
I'd guess at Maldon, a similar picture Here shows very similar tall coaches.

Craig
Well spotted Craig! There were only two places I could definitely associate with a 10 1/4" gauge Carland 'Scot' - Maldon and Colwyn Bay - and it certainly wasn't the latter!

Having looked at photos of the Maldon promenade in the 50s and 60s I think this photo could easily be there. Looking at old-maps.co.uk gives no clue to the extent of the railway (it does not really appear at all) - but I do feel from the photo of the Atlantic that Craig has found that there is more to this line than we thought we knew - we've all heard about a straight up-and-down run with the Royal Scot that became an electric locomotive - but I think there may have been a more extensive layout in the past, a longer line is hinted at in a post by Chris Krupa on this thread on the forum.

Colin

Colin Peake
MRW Digest Editor

Ivan
Member Avatar
Deputy Manager
Hi All

If it is the case that the line at Maldon was once more extensive than recent memories recall - and it seems possible - then how long might it have been there?

My reason for asking is that in the picture of the Scot at the start of this thread it seems that a single sleeper replacement may have been carried out very recently, just in front of the pony truck, whereas other sleepers visible in the shot seem very decayed, how long would this take to occur, bearing in mind that they are probably laid in sand in an exposed seaside location ?

It just seems that the line may not be in its 'first flush' in this picture.

Kind Regards, Ivan

dereksmith
Member Avatar
Deputy Manager
I'm not sure about Maldon. As far as I remember it was a dead straight line up and back very close to the 'sea wall' between the funfair/boating lake and the car park. If this shot were looking inland then the steep bank of the earth wall would be behind the loco, whereas if this was looking river ways I would expect to see a flat surface leading down to either the children's boating lake or the funfair. There is also a definite curve in the track as well and I don't remember there being room for anything other than a straight track. The site I remember really didn't give any room to extend the line - one end being blocked by the river inlet and the other by the funfair and entry road. Very willing to be persuaded otherwise but it just doesn't look right to me.
Derek Smith
dereksmith@westgateonsea.net

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · 8" to 12" · Next Topic »
Add Reply