Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Miniature Railway World Forums, the leading miniature railway forums on the internet, with over 1100 members.

The forums are full of discussion ranging from current activities to historical research.

There is also member-only access to a trip-report, photos & videos section, sells/wanted rooms and the off topic discussion areas.

So why not join in? Registration is quick, easy, and of course free! If you have any trouble, email us at info@miniaturerailwayworld.co.uk

Click Here to Register at Miniature Railway World Forums

Please note, you must be registered and logged-in to access all the forums

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Duffield Bank Long Tunnel Survey; T&PAS Archaeological Report
Topic Started: 7 Oct 2017, 06:45 PM (271 Views)
MedfordWillow
Member Avatar
Porter
[ * ]
(Apologies if this has been posted before - I'd be surprised if it hasn't been but I did a search and found nothing.)

It seems several years ago the Trent & Peak Archaeological Society surveyed the Long Tunnel at the Duffield Bank Railway, in connection with new building work. There's a photo of the work in David Jones's Britain's 15-inch gauge Railways: Duffield Bank to Perrygrove.

I recently came across the report, available here: http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/greylit/details.cfm?id=36118

It indicates a surprising amount of the railway's formation is still left but unfortunately I don't think any public footpaths go anywhere near these days for one to observe it.
Regards, Ric

Was once Mapping the miniature railways of London, but now far too busy!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DavidColley
Member Avatar
Instigator of Waving.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
fascinating reading Ric, thanks for sharing ;)

Check out the website, Sherwood Forest Railway
plug, plug, plug.....

colinpeake
Member Avatar
MRW Digest Editor
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Yes, thank you for sharing, oh to live there!

Colin
Colin Peake
MRW Digest Editor

My blog: O9 Modeller

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · 15" + · Next Topic »
Add Reply