Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Miniature Railway World Forums, the leading miniature railway forums on the internet, with over 1400 members.

The forums are full of discussion ranging from current activities to historical research.

There is also member-only access to a trip-report, photos & videos section, sells/wanted rooms and the off topic discussion areas.

So why not join in? Registration is quick, easy, and of course free! If you have any trouble, email us at info@miniaturerailwayworld.co.uk

Click Here to Register at Miniature Railway World Forums

Please note, you must be registered and logged-in to access all the forums

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Eastlleigh Lakeside Railway - Flying Visit 12 Feb 18
Topic Started: 13 Feb 2018, 02:19 PM (128 Views)
MickT
No Avatar
Guard
[ *  *  * ]
Yesterday I found myself with a couple of hours to fill in the Southampton/Eastleigh area and decided to pop in "on spec" at the Lakeside Railway, not expecting to find anything happening. Pleasant surprise to find the line in operation with all facilities open - including a very impressive and satisfying cafe!

Discovered that they are open every weekend throughout the year and all school holidays - which of course includes this week with half term going on in this part of the world. Only one engine in steam as it is still February and winter after all, but I managed to count all 3 IC locoas and 18 of the 21 steam engines on the railways roster of permanently resident stock visible - 14 fully viewable stored in the station train shed immediately opposite the platform, 1 "on shed" being prepared for roster the following day, 1 working the well populated 13 coach train (5 first class covered coaches, 7 sit astride open ones and a brake open bring up the rear) and 2 10" gauge locos in the station environs. as well as 3 7" gauge locos across from the platform on open air display. All staff friendly and lots of families enjoying an afternoon out. Biggest regret - I didn't have my camera with me!

If you are starved of working railways of any size and gauge at this time of year and happen to be living or visiting the south, then I thoroughly recommend popping in to see this very vibrant operation.

Mick
Mick
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · 8" to 12" · Next Topic »
Add Reply