Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
New forum here!

Season V in Development on a new forum! Come visit and make an account!

Events ~|~ Buying/Selling ~|~ Mutation ~|~ Research

Special Action ~|~ Tournaments ~|~ Moulder Monthly

Welcome to Moulder Pitfighters, the text-based arena of death/roleplaying game set in a spin-off of the former Warhammer World!

Play as a Master Moulder on the Shattered Isle of Hell Pit, creating hideously mutated fighting beasts to pit against other players' creations... or to use to pursue your own nefarious ends.

If you're already trapped on the Shattered Isle, please log in:

Username:   Password:
  • Pages:
URGENT: Opinions on MP Move to JCink
Topic Started: Mon 04 Jun 2018 20:41:54 (349 Views)
Morkskittar
Member Avatar
Yay! My Rat Ogre! ^_^
Packlord
Hi All,

In case you hadn't already seen, the current service MP is hosted on ZetaBoards, is being converted to Tapatalk, likely in the next couple of months, so likely before MP5 is fully up and running (my original announcement here).

However, the owner of ZetaBoards - now an employee at Tapatalk - as well as most of the Tapatalk staff, have been almost entirely nonresponsive to the concerns of ZetaBoards administrators, and there is currently an exodus of boards moving from ZB to other services.

It is looking increasingly likely that MP will be one of them, given the following:
-No concrete news on any ZB features being carried over.
-Promises that some ZB features will be implemented into Tapatalk... but no ideas as to which one(s), or even a timeline.
-Based on how InvisionFree was converted to Tapatalk, it seems likely that there will be a merger in a few months with a rough conversion from ZB to Tapatalk, and the promised ZB features - including custom skins and themes, pictures for forums, and sensible permission sets - will only be developed well after the merger, perhaps in longer than a year.
-Tapatalk is the worst forum service out there, unless you operate entirely on mobile phones, with very little in the way of customization.
-This is what MP will look like after the merger.

And perhaps most importantly, the new season of MP will be pretty different, and I was designing some of the mechanics around functions of ZB, which will probably not be around for much longer. It thus makes the most sense to me to develop everything and set it up on a service that has much more stability, and that is much closer to ZB than the new Zeta-Talk will be.

However, there are some cons to moving, namely:
-We'll lose a lot of data. Tapatalk is so far refusing to release the database to administrators in order to force ZB folks to stay with Tapatalk. I can manually back up some of it, but backing up as much as we can will be quite a task, and will set back work on other things. On the other hand, there are some indications from current ZB staff that some of this archived data may be lost in the transition anyway... but again, no one is sure.
-We'd lose our URL and have to change it... so we'd have to make sure to direct people to the new site.
-Everyone would need to make a new account.

I think the pros far outweigh the cons, and so I am very seriously considering creating a new board on Jcink.com, and migrating as much as I can over there and developing MP Season 5 there. Jcink is based off of Invisionfree software, so is very similar to ZetaBoards... except it is actively supported and updated (ZB's last bug support was in 2015).

For your perusal, compare Jcink and Tapatalk for what the forums would look like.

However, I don't want to be like the owner of ZB and make a decision suddenly without telling anyone, and I want to know your thoughts.

So, netizens of MP: would you like to stick it out and hope for the best during the conversion, or move over to Jcink? I'm putting my development on hold until we decide what to do, just so I don't waste energy making rules and posts revolving around a system that we may or may not be using in a few months.

If we do decide we want to move, I'll likely begin the process next week. If we don't, I'll put up the new god descriptions and information about the setting next week here - as well as potentially starting up the first RP to test new mechanics. ;)

So, what are your thoughts? Stick with Zeta-Talk, or move to Jcink? If we move, we'll need to act quickly just in case the timeline speeds up, so hopefully we can come to a clear consensus in a week.

Pillz
Novels Written and For Sale: List
Posted Image
UE Pub Fight Deaths: 334. Pillz and Pyllz are © by Morkskittar
Dark Lord Nihilus Regarding Me: "You're the love child of Vishnu and Pegasus."

Posted Image
Stop Geen Toegang! / Complete Works of Morkskittar / Ask a Skaven! 'zodi

AshenEshin
Member Avatar
MK ULTRA - Skaven style

I'll be sticking with MP whatever the weather, but I have to say I'm not entirely sold on the idea of taptalk, which as I understand it is a mobile port with all that would entail.
So for now that's one vote Jcink
He's not a master assassin!, He is a very naughty boy!
The Rave(-ing Mad) Cave a.k.a my lab
Praise be to Mutae:fsm:

blader4411
Member Avatar
Lacunae
[ *  *  * ]
You know, I was joking in the previous post, but does Tapatalk seriously not even have a dark mode? That searing white alone is seriously unpleasant and would probably result in less time working from the forum (Iíd probably switch back to writing on Word and copy pasting :P )

They really don't support much customization; they may have a dark mode, but I can't find it, at least not on their browser setup. ~Mork

Iíd support the move to Jcink, as itís clear that the Tapatalk team has no interest in improving their layout and clearly donít have the interests of forum administrators in heart.
Edited by Morkskittar, Mon 04 Jun 2018 21:22:26.
Tournament Victories:
Grand Opening Bout! (Quadra)
Warpfest (Iggy the Fool)

Event Victories:
Ratzmas 2017 Fluff Competition

Morkskittar
Member Avatar
Yay! My Rat Ogre! ^_^
Packlord
And if you want to do any reading about the move:

Tapatalk Support Forum Topic

Zetaboard Support Forum full of discussions about the move

Pillz
Posted Image

Posted Image

Twitch
Member Avatar
The Broken Blade

Jcink

You can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you want to watch out for, 'cause you can never predict if they're going to do something incredibly stupid.

Sod
Member Avatar
Marquis de

^Seconded.

Rusty Tincanne
Unequivocal Winner of MP.net Season 8

You all are like a bunch of rats fleeing from a sinking ship! :P Personally, I'm more of a lemming and will just follow the herd. :)

Nice to get a note, by the way. And it's nice to see familiar nicks.

Maybe I'll get involved in Season V.
Sikatriks' Lab

Eom

Seeing how I've been playing this game almost exclusively from mobile, I may be one of few who might have any benefit at all from sticking with Tapatalk.

I don't mind much either way, but given how the deal is presented to me I think I'll go for jcink.
Victor von Hohenfeld
Losses: 7
Wins: 11

Tournament wins:
Execution of Ikkilit

Skritchit
Member Avatar

So it's a choice between a shitty mobile platform that would be difficult to write and share stories in, or move to a site built off the classic invisionfree system and it's still supported?

Well that seems to make for an easy choice :P

Maybe we could help with the move somehow? Grab some of our own posts ourselves or something?
Posted Image
s'neek'eep @ Jun 19 2007
07:42 PM
kinda went outside the box a little...

SkavenDan
Packmaster
[ * ]
I don't really come here often enough to really say but I can provide another option. I've been working as web designer for the last 3 years I could make you a site if you wanted.

Morkskittar
Member Avatar
Yay! My Rat Ogre! ^_^
Packlord
Thanks for the offer, but I like fiddling around myself. :P

And Eom, I'm impressed that you play this off mobile. :o I can't stand forums in mobile. :P Actually though, apparently Tapatalk's mobile app is good for viewing forums outside of those it owns? I think? Dunno if you've used it at all. :P

If we do move (and it is looking like the move is supported at the moment), what will probably happen is Morky will move the public archives - old Monthlies and the like (which is quite a bit :S) - and request that players move anything they want saved from their own labs.

Pillz
Posted Image

Posted Image

SkavenDan
Packmaster
[ * ]
Well, I can but offer my services you would think people would take up a free offer ;)

Should you need anything throw me a message :)

lord_falco

i stay anyway, but i preffer the jcink then tapahell
long live shattered knights, long live the superiour guild

Silvermane
Ex-Packlord, Ex-Richest Rat S2, Indiana's father

I vote tapatalk. Just cuz everyone deserves one vote. But i've got no preference :P

AshenEshin
Member Avatar
MK ULTRA - Skaven style

There's always one :rolleyes:
He's not a master assassin!, He is a very naughty boy!
The Rave(-ing Mad) Cave a.k.a my lab
Praise be to Mutae:fsm:

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gates of Hell Pit · Next Topic »
  • Pages:

Packlords: Glod-Unbaraki, Morkskittar, Chieftain Quickitt
Theme created by tiptopolive. Find more great themes and skins at the ZB Theme Zone.