Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Active Topics Wildlife ID's Photo Galleries Photography Challenges Spotting Challenge Daily Chat Home
Welcome to Nature UK. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use
but If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features.

There are numerous topics members can take part in that are exclusive to Nature UK
including the yearly photography challenges and the seasonal spotting challenges.
We also have a very comprehensive wildlife identification section along with a monthly photo competition.
Please feel free to share your photos with us and any wildlife discussion you may have.

You can also find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Click Here to Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Poorly Horse Chestnut Trees; update Sept 12th
Topic Started: Sep 17 2010, 04:10 PM (437 Views)
celticsparrow-jan
Member Avatar
Admin Support

Before i came on holiday i remember seeing on the news about the damage being caused to the Horse Chestnut trees by caterpillars of the (i think) Coddling moth.

Yesterday at Pensthorpe and today at Sandringham every chestnut tree i have seen is affected,huge trees some of them, with all the leaves shriveled and brown.

I wonder if all parts of the country have been affected?

I will post some pics of the poor trees when i get home .
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar
Administrator

Thats not very good news at all Jan and i can just about remember the article.

Looking forward to seeing the photos :cool2:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Oh dear, that is bad news Jan. I remember reading something about some form of virus (I think), which may or may not be the same thing. I will have a search later and see if I can find any links about it.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

:wave: This is the one I remember... not sure if it is the same thing

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/fr/INFD-68JJRC
Quote Post Goto Top

Night Owl
Member Avatar
Administrator

That doesn't sound good Jan :( look forward to seeing your photos when you get back :cool2:

celticsparrow-jan
Member Avatar
Admin Support

:thanx: For finding that link Gill but that seems to be something else .This damage is down to caterpillar of some kind ,an alien species of moth i think.
Its unbelievable how badly it has affected the trees,they look dead but apparantly they aren't ,they certainly look a sorry sight.

Keith
Default Avatar
Gold Member
I'd noticed sorry looking Horse Chestnut trees for some time now. I originally thought that Autumn was coming early.
I've just seen a brown leaved sad looking Horse Chestnut tree, with its conkers easily seen, standing out like bright green dots. The contrast was amazing. I've never seen this before, the conkers and leaves are usually the same bright green colour - it makes spotting them that much harder when the kids are trying to knock them off!

celticsparrow-jan
Member Avatar
Admin Support

I managed to find this report about about the trees

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/7548456.stm

Some of the trees i saw in Norfolk

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tabatha
Member Avatar
Super Mod

It is a sorry state of affairs. The trees around here seem ok, as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem as if much can be done about it.

:thanks: for the link Jan

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar
Administrator

It's a great shame Jan and they do look in an awful state.

This is the most likely culprit...

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=2900

celticsparrow-jan
Member Avatar
Admin Support

:thanx: For that link Dave,its unbelievable that a moth can cause so much damage.

Deleted User
Deleted User

I noticed over the weekend that a great number of the Horse Chestnuts around here look in a similar state Jan.
Quote Post Goto Top

Daisyjan
Member Avatar
Platinum Member
Thought it was the leaf mining moth! It hasnt got near Wales where I am thank
goodness but its bad in the south

:thanx: for the link Dave!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Every where I have been that has Horse Chestnut trees are all affected...
Quote Post Goto Top

Dovetail-Marg
Member Avatar
Admin Support

:thanx: for that link Jan, and also :thanx: for the other link Dave.

So far, the trees that I've seen down here seem OK.

Davebutterflyman
Member Avatar
Administrator

Leaf miner moths can cause massive devastation within woods and forests and certain species such as the Pine and Oak Processionary are considered major pests across Europe and the various government and environmental agencies have large budgets to eradicate and control such species.

celticsparrow-jan
Member Avatar
Admin Support

An article in todays Daily Mail ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1315685/Conker-season-threat-invasive-caterpillars-destroy-swathes-horse-chestnut-trees.html

Night Owl
Member Avatar
Administrator

Aww that's such a shame Jan! You wouldn't think that something so small could do so much damage! :thankyou: for posting the photos and the link :cool4:

Sunflower
Member Avatar
We've had this problem in the London/Essex area for 4 or 5 years now. It's such a pity. I have a horse chestnut acroos the road from my house and the council have had to cut it back to barely nothing. :(

Sunflower
Member Avatar
Thought I would just show you an affected tree - there isn't one that is untouched round here.

Full shot

Posted Image

Close up of the leaves

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Trees. · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Follow NatureUK on Twitter Follow NatureUK on Facebook