Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Shadow Man; February Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jun 10 2006, 02:20 AM (2,522 Views)
dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Posted Image

I just got this game today and I'm utterly hooked. It's brilliant.

I'm having a good run with N64 games this year ^_^

***SPOILERS FOR REST OF TOPIC***
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Yeah, it's awesome! I've been working on it for the last few weeks. It's such a huge game with so much to do!

The only thing that I really dislike is the nonsensical poetic ramblings Shadow Man goes on throughout the game (mainly when you get to a new area). It's like "yeah, ok, I have no idea what the hell you just said, but whatever".
Posted Image

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
^True, but the 'nonsensical poetic ramblings' do add to the game's mysterious nature.

I'm having a little trouble getting through the game, sometimes I find myself completely lost <_<
-alxbly

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
The game, when factory sealed, came with a small map that really helps out. It basically shows you where all of the doors are that you can open depending on how many Dark Souls you have and the major areas of the game. It really helps out! If you want I can scan it and e-mail it to you.
Posted Image

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Rapueda
Jun 11 2006, 08:15 AM
The game, when factory sealed, came with a small map that really helps out. It basically shows you where all of the doors are that you can open depending on how many Dark Souls you have and the major areas of the game. It really helps out! If you want I can scan it and e-mail it to you.

Thanks I'd really appreciate that! Only if it's not too much trouble of course.
-alxbly

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Ok, it's been sent. The map is great because it helps you conceptualize Deadside (it is HUGE!!) without ruining the feeling of exploring on your own because it isn't too detailed. :)
Posted Image

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Thanks Rapueda I appreciate it heaps. Great map!
-alxbly

N64Gamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
I had this game on PSX and give it to my father, he liked it, but then we got hold of the n64 version and it blows the psx version away in every aspect.

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
You're welcome, dataDyne. :)

And yeah, the N64 version is a big step up from the PS1 version, BUT... the Dreamcast version is a big step up from the N64 version...
Posted Image

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
PSX version > N64 version > PC version > DC version

That's generally the way it is perceived.
-alxbly

N64Gamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
are you saying the psx verson was better?

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Errrr...sorry, while typing that last post I was subjected to severe lack of sleep....what I meant to say was:

DC version > PC version > N64 version > PSX version
-alxbly

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
How's it coming so far?
Posted Image

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
It's coming along great! I haven't been playing it very often as I've been studying like made, but I at least get a few hours of Shadow Man each week. I currently have a shadow level of 4, have 18 dark souls and two of the gads (don't know their names as I don't have the instruction booklet, one allows me to grab onto fiery ledges and push those fiery blocks and the other one allows me to climb up the bloodfalls). I just exited the Fire Temple and I'm just going through the parts of Deadside I couldn't access before without the help of the gads.
-alxbly

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
I've just been progressing through Asylum: Playrooms. I knew this game was sick and twisted, but now I realise I haven't even begun to check out all the horrors in Deadside! This level is absolutely replusive! The creepy baby music playing ambiently in the background, followed by crying children and screams is really chilling. This game is so atmospheric it's scary!
-alxbly

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Are you getting near the end?
Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

That's another good thing about this game, it just gets nastier and nastier. Some of the best stuff is still come. My favorite part was the...

*not wanting to give too much away*

train station...
Quote Post Goto Top

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Rapueda
Jul 10 2006, 03:08 PM
Are you getting near the end?

Not really, I actually haven't been playing it very often lately as my gaming time (which has been incredibly limited lately) has been consumed by Star Wars: Episode One Racer and Red Faction 2 (PS2). Hopefully I'll get back into the game later today after work. If I remember correctly I have 58 Dark Souls and recently assembled the L'Eclipser.
-alxbly

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Phew! I played a fair bit of Shadow Man this evening. I now have 75 Dark Souls and I've just reached the warp section in the Temple of Blood.
-alxbly

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Heh, Shadow Man rules.
Posted Image

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Exactly which platform (PC or N64) was Shadowman made on?

Ign64.com articles refer to the N64 version as being a port of the PC game, but both versions seem to have been made at the same time, with the N64 version apparently a bit behind...But ultimately, they were released on the same date.

There's 2 other similar scenarios I know of, of that era: Turok 2 and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. I strongly suspect both games were made on N64 hardware, but I haven't found much concrete proof of this. ???

Bottom line: I'm much more inclined to buy a game that's not a port. And Shadowman seems like an impressive game. I hate to be holding-out on it.

On a side note: I don't mind too much if a game is ported from a superior platform 'cause my system is still challenged. But I prefer games, even ports, build from the ground up. Games ported from inferior platforms (PS1 to N64 or PS2 to XBox, GC, etc.) get my 'roos in a bunch.

Turok: Evolution was supposed to be a GC exclusive before it was streamlined for the last gen consoles. Erg!
Don't even get me started on N64-GC quasi-ports like Eternal Darkness and Dinosaur Planet!
Thankfully Conker didn't share their fates.
X_D

Deleted User
Deleted User

Shiren Wonders
Apr 2 2008, 09:17 PM
Exactly which platform (PC or N64) was it made on?

If I remember rightly, we discussed this before and didn't get too far because GameFAQs, IGN, etc, etc all have different info on release dates. I'll have a flick through some old magazines to see if I can find any info.

Shiren Wonders
Apr 2 2008, 09:17 PM
Bottom line: I'm much more inclined to buy a game that's not a port. And Shadowman seems like an impressive game. I hate to be holding-out on it.

Bottom line: Shadow Man is an impressive game regardless of whether it is/isn't/might or might not be a port. There are several jaw dropping moments (it's really looks amazing and it's improves with the expansion pak), the atmosphere is so sinsister, the weapons are great (well, with one exception), the gameplay is varied and the story will have you hooked. :wub:

Don't miss out on this great game, it truly is one of the N64's forgetten classics. ;_;
Quote Post Goto Top

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
I got a goal for you guys, help me keep interest in this game... Pilotwings 64 is taking over.

Rogue
Member Avatar
Meow!
Shadow Man is brilliant.

Excelent game. We got a translated version in brazilian portuguese.

I'm looking forward for the Dreamcast version to compare.

=)
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I have the Dreamcast version. I've always liked the game even though it's been forever since I last played it. It has a really creepy atmosphere that sets it apart from some of the other games of it's genre. I'll have to 'unearth' it sometime and play it again.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Old topic bumpage for the win. ^_^

I've also got the Dreamcast version. It's considerably sharper than on the N64, as you'd expect, but the control layout is very similar. It's easily the best of the console versions.

So who here actually finished Shadow Man? I know I did! The best bit was definitely Jack... although the fight in the jail was also pretty cool.
Quote Post Goto Top

WMJ
Established Member
Shadow Man is really one of the best N64 games I've played. I'm pretty sure it was initially developed for the PC but towards the end of development different teams started working for the PSX and N64 version and they were released pretty close to each other.

I even recently did a speedrun for this game where I finished the PAL version (slower) in roughly 45 minutes. Shame it's been in the queue waiting for verifiers before I can submit it here for over a month now <_< : http://speeddemosarchive.com/forum/index.p...pic,1285.0.html

Deleted User
Deleted User

45 minutes? That's impressive! I've been replaying the game on the Dreamcast and have got stuck fighting the serial killer in the jail. I know I beat him last time but I really can't remember how. I get as far as needing a keycard to open a door... but no keycard. I'll find it eventually! ^_^
Quote Post Goto Top

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
alxbly
Sep 20 2008, 10:35 AM
Old topic bumpage for the win. ^_^

So who here actually finished Shadow Man? I know I did! The best bit was definitely Jack... although the fight in the jail was also pretty cool.

Unfortunately I never finished the game. The furthest I got was the Temple of Blood, which is actually documented a few pages up.

I can't believe this topic is over 2 years old already. :o
-alxbly

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I almost feel like it is a crime that I haven't played Shadow Man. Okay, so I played it for like ten minutes when I first got it a couple of years ago, but that doesn't really count. Unfortunately I don't think I have the time to invest in an adventure game; I'd probably get stuck somewhere, not play for a week, then completely forget where I was going in the first place. :-/

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: