Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Shadow Man; February Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jun 10 2006, 02:20 AM (2,523 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
OK, I have spent a few hours on Shadow Man now. I have mixed feelings. I always wanted to try Shadow Man, and was glad to finally get to try it. I do plan on playing it more, I get too frustrated to stick with it for too long at once. I feel it is a very ambitious game. In the end, I wish that Rare or even Capcom had developed it instead of Acclaim. Anyhow, on to my review.

Graphics - Shadow Man stands out here. It is really one of the better looking N64 games out there. 9/10

Sound - It really helps solidify the moof, The music is eerie, and the sound effects a good enough. The voices, while muffled and a bit over the top, are quite a nice touch for an N64 game. 8/10

Controls - I do not hate the controls, but I also do not like them. Time could have been spent to ensure a better control scheme. I feel that would have really helped make this game be a bit more enjoyable. 5/10

Story - While I have not played really far in to it, I do like the story. 7/10

Gameplay - This is where the game falls short for me. I just am not having the fun I thought I would have. I spend a lot of time thinking about what could have been, more than I should. I do have a "keep going" feeling, but I also have a "enough already" feeling to. Too many times I miss a jump because of not being able to move Shadow Man accurately enough to do so, mainly because of the not so great controls. I find it funny I can leap up a 10 foot wall, but cannot jump up a 2 foot high diagonal slope. I know this sort of stuff is typical of this generation of gaming, and perhaps I would have been more tolerable of it when this game came out. 4/10

Replay - No way for me to judge this accurately. I am having trouble sticking with this one on the first time through, so I doubt I would play through again.

Overall - 6.5/10

Anybody else going to try this one? I am starting to feel like I am having a conversation with myself. :mellow:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Oof.

Back in 1999 I'd have given Shadow Man a 9/10, easily. Going back it's easy to see it's faults and they're accentuated by the way games have developed since then. The game just drops you in a big world with no real clue what to do. The world seems empty until you start unlocking shadow man's different abilities which allow you to explore different areas. The starting areas are terribly bland in comparison with the levels later in the game. It's almost the dictionary definition of a slow burner.

Examples (but also with spoilers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHS8SCm4c2U&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yifN9sqhicQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3D0G1mSKLM&feature=related

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I agree. Back in the day, this is probably a game I would have spent days on and given and 8 or 9 out of 10. I did spend far to often wondering where I was supposed to go, and what I was supposed to do. Yeah, those videos are vastly different looking than how the game starts out. I figure if I play slowly off and on every couple of weeks I will eventually get to a more engaging area (I hope.)

I think I will start Turok tomorrow.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
stinger9142
Feb 23 2011, 04:41 PM
Having trouble motivating myself to play more. The intro drew me in, but it is very slow going and I have trouble knowing what to do next. I am definitely going to play more though. Anybody else going to try it? It is getting late in the month, and I think only 3 of us have played it any.
I started playing Shadowman last year.

I have to say my opinions are about the same as everyone elses.
Excelent intro.
The voices, the music and the atmosphere is brilliant.

But yeah i got stuck a couple hours in, didnt know what to do or where to go.
Might try continuing later...
Grrr got so many games Ive made a start on but not gone on with it, just in the last year.

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: