Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
(future) N64 JP import game resource website; Let me know what you guys think!!
Topic Started: Oct 27 2006, 01:16 AM (1,432 Views)
floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
So for my tech. class this semester, we're supposed to work on some sort of project utilizing the various web-based programming languages we've been picking up, and I thought "Hey, what better than a website devoted to N64 import games?!?" We're only at the "project definition" phase, so this is essentially nothing more than a small collection of ideas right now... but I thought I'd share it with y'all anyways, and you can give me any input on any aspect of the site as I post the updates in this thread. ;)

Anyways, here's the "project definition" I had submitted last week:
Quote:

The application I intend to design will be a web-based resource for imported (i.e. Japan-only) video games (for the Nintendo 64) an application which will potentially offer any/all obtainable information on these games, with the possible inclusion of translations, box-art, reviews and/or whatever other relevant aspects I may be able to incorporate. With the reviews as an example, this resource/application will also allow its users (video gamers interested in N64 import games) to post their opinions/reviews on these video games for others to see.  With a resource such as this, containing a rich database of sorts of these rather unknown games, I hope to help bridge the international gap in video gaming.

... probably a little early for input at this stage, but if you've got any (reasonable) ideas I should try to implement, let me know!!
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

VERY good idea, and I'd be VERY interested in seeing the end product (your site). If there's anything I can help with (doubtful I know...:() just ask.
Quote Post Goto Top

niniendowarrior
Unregistered

It's an interesting idea. I'd plan to put flash videos of actual in-game footages.

For me, I visualize it to be like a one-stop hub for all things imported on n64, from peripherals to games. Game reviews is okay... would be nice to have video reviews too. External links to official websites would be nice too.
Quote Post Goto Top

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Sounds like a fun assignment!! :)
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Thanks for the comments guys! Hopefully my end-product won't disappoint (that is, if I ever have an end-product... since it'll most likely be a forever work-in-progress).

niniendowarrior
Oct 27 2006, 06:47 PM
It's an interesting idea.  I'd plan to put flash videos of actual in-game footages.

For me, I visualize it to be like a one-stop hub for all things imported on n64, from peripherals to games.  Game reviews is okay... would be nice to have video reviews too.  External links to official websites would be nice too.

Great ideas there... yeah, ideally I'd like to do all those things you mention (perhaps further down the road??)... but for now, I'm trying to keep the scope at a manageable size. This term project is supposed to be done as a 2-3 person team, but I'm goin' solo, since all my classmates are either total idiots or big-time comp-sci studs set on their own things.

Rapueda
Oct 27 2006, 07:13 PM
Sounds like a fun assignment!!  :)

Yeah... hopefully it will be! I thought that maybe this project idea would motivate me to actually NOT procrastinate... since I really tend to turn things in literally during the last few minutes.

We shall see how things turn out... :unsure:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

niniendowarrior
Unregistered

Aye, I know what you mean, Floorcat. What I do also notice for me though is that if you are really interested in the project, it'll push you through and you might finish really early.

Scoping it to something manageable is fine. In fact it's the sensible thing to do. Back at high school, we had a Power Point Presentation work and at first, I thought of covering video game consoles. Unfortunately, my classmates were complete boneheads. The group had 5 members and I ended up doing at least 95% of the whole thing and it wasn't even done when we were forced to present.

Since you're going solo, you have more control over how you are going to go about it, so that might actually be a good thing.

I'm very much looking forward to your ideas on it. :lol:
Quote Post Goto Top

Irene(Hydronix)
Member Avatar
Level 30 Necromancer/Master of Quest 64
I hope it'll be a team effort, but anyway, information on Eletale Monsters(japanese version of Quest 64, which is actually fairly different from the US version) would be nice. I can't wait!
Even bastards need to let off some steam.

And apparently have more egos than Waffles.

Abendigo
Member Avatar
DK64!!!!!!!!!!
sorry I cant help.. :(
Posted Image

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
floorcat
Oct 28 2006, 02:33 AM
I thought that maybe this project idea would motivate me to actually NOT procrastinate... since I really tend to turn things in literally during the last few minutes.

LOL, it's hard to do things when you're not under pressure.
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Rapueda
Nov 4 2006, 09:07 AM
LOL, it's hard to do things when you're not under pressure.

Yeah... seriously!! I have a theory that whatever you do... whether you like doing it or not... no matter what, you will NOT like doing it when you are OBLIGATED to do so. You have to somehow trick your mind into believe that you're doing whatever "for fun"... and that's how you can end up enjoying doing something you're required to do anyways. Same thing goes for your job, or whatever you get paid to do. :unsure:

Anyways... as I posted earlier/elsewhere, I had to submit the second phase (survey phase) last night... which was bascially a requirements specification of the "application." Essentially a clear-cut definition of the scope of the project. I'll post it if there's any interest.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Post it then. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
alxbly
Nov 4 2006, 03:50 PM
Post it then.  :)
FINE :P
Mind you, I think it's a little dry/redundant (should've spent more than 1.5 hours on it, to be honest)

Quote:

Description - information to be available to the user
As has been previously stated, the application I intend to build will be a web-based resource for video games released in Japan for the Nintendo 64.  As such, the user (anyone interested in Japan-import Nintendo 64 games) shall be able to find a sufficient amount of relevant information on any of the games included in this scope.  A comprehensive list of this information is as follows:
Game title romanized Japanese
Game title standard Japanese (Shift-JIS, EUC, or UTF encoded) (if functional!)
Game title translation (if necessary, or U.S./English title if extant)
Developing /publishing companies
Release date (if available)
Game genre (if available)
Box/cartridge artwork (if available)
Screenshots (if available)
Misc. info (ex: game description) and related websites/links (if available/extant)
User-posted comments/reviews (if extant)
With regards to the first 6 points, one should be able to find nearly all the information needed for all the listed games, with only a small percentage of exceptions.  For the next two points (box/cartridge Artwork and screenshots), graphic files will be available as I discover them myself.  (As of yet, I still need to find graphics for perhaps around 50% of the games.)

User interaction search function
Since there will potentially be quite a bit of information & graphic files available for each game, the user will only be able to view the entirety of information on a single game one game at a time (i.e. per browser tab/window).  However, a list of all the games, listed alphabetically by their romanized Japanese title, will always be readily accessible via provided links, as will a convenient game search function.  The search function will allow the user to find a game (or a smaller, more focused list of games) by its corresponding information, such as its title (tentatively only in romanized/English form), developing/publishing companies, genre, etc.  At the end of a successful search, the user will be able to select a single game to display its detailed information, in much the same way as would be done with the complete "romanized list" of all the games.

User interaction posting comments/reviews
When viewing the detailed information on a single game, the user will have the option to post his/her remarks/comments/opinions/reviews of the game which, once posted, will be accessible/viewable to any/all other users through the game details page.  There will likely be a required field when submitting the post to help identify the user to whom the post belongs.

Scope room for growth (currently NOT to be implemented)
Being only in its initial stages, this application will presently be limited to the above, and as such, will have plenty of avenues for expansion.  Possibilities for future updates could include features such as video reviews, a game ranking system, instruction manual translations, member login/password entry, as well as a region scope extended to include games released worldwide.

niniendowarrior
Unregistered

Hmm... looks fine.

I would suggest that you should find a way to get your own screenshots of the games. It's the direct and simplest way to do it instead of scavenging in the net.
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
^ agreed... except that I only own about 20% of JP-only games :(

... can't exactly take screen-captures of games I don't own... yet. ;)

Some titles, I don't even know what the box looks like!!

niniendowarrior
Unregistered

I would think www.nintendo.co.jp is your one stop be-all-end-all solution to all those things. That's where I found info on Sin and Punishment. 2 years after the console had already bowed out. :lol:
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
^ Yeah... believe me, I've been there already. They only have about 50 games listed (only those developed/published by Nintendo?)... for which they provide plenty of info (as far as I'm concerned), but not even a mention of the remaining 50-150 games (depending on if you include JP games that saw Occidental releases).

niniendowarrior
Unregistered

In that case, you should go through the websites of the manufacturers. I do know that Yukes takes down websites of older games so you won't be guaranteed to find the info you need.
Quote Post Goto Top

N64Gamer
Member Avatar
Established Member
i dont know if im in any help but i can scan my copy of Akumajo Dracula for you?
BTW looking fowrd to this site, we need n64 site on the web. there 101 NES sites but no n64 sites

floorcat
Member Avatar
Yes... I've been MIA again... but I haven't forgotten about you guys!

... well, not yet, at least :P

Anyways... so I'm finally working full-on for this website project right now... haven't really done so in the last 3 weeks (when I SHOULD have been)... guess no matter what the subject material, I'll procrastinate all the same. <_<

I just got (most of) the data imported into my running database successfully, so I'm pretty stoked. Unfortunately, that's ALL I've done for this final phase so far. Which is a verrrrrrrry bad thing, seeing how this is due in about 4 days. :wacko:

WISH ME LUCK!!!

niniendowarrior
Unregistered

Doesn't sound too good, floorcat. Better start finishing it!
Quote Post Goto Top

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
floorcat
Dec 10 2006, 05:39 PM
this is due in about 4 days. :wacko:

:blink:

Good luck!!!!
Posted Image

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
Ouch, best of luck floorcat! I guess the hours spent teaming up with me during Super Smash Brothers Hurt and Heal didn't exactly help...
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Deleted User
Deleted User

Still plenty time floorcat. :unsure: I done my last two assignments in a three day period. Worst days since... the end of last term! I find it hard to get motivated unless there's that time pressure. It's not the best way of working, but I've passed everything so far!

And if there's anything i can help out with, let me know. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Thanks for all the pity/sympathy/empathy/support everyone!!

I made an ASS-load of progress last night...

It's still pretty bare-bones, but about 80% of the functionality is already there now!!

floorcat
Member Avatar
Functionality... 100%. :mellow:
My god...
Now all that's left is to link everything together and make things look pretty...

But...
too...

lazy....

... and deathly tired.

I need some caffeine. Big time. And maybe some Ritalin. Seeing how I have a 20-ish page paper (also) due Thursday (which I of course haven't started) :rolleyes: ... not to forget about a presentation tomorrow on my non-yet-extant 10-page translation.

Alxbly, I think I've eked you out for the title of king procrastinator. :lol:

Deleted User
Deleted User

Another title under my belt! ^_^

Much work still needed?
Quote Post Goto Top

niniendowarrior
Unregistered

Tough times, Floorcat. You'll pull through, I think. In what shape though, I cannot say.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

So... how's the website going? :unsure:
Quote Post Goto Top

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
floorcat
Dec 12 2006, 11:53 AM
I need some caffeine.  Big time.  And maybe some Ritalin.  Seeing how I have a 20-ish page paper (also) due Thursday (which I of course haven't started) :rolleyes: ... not to forget about a presentation tomorrow on my non-yet-extant 10-page translation.

Holy crap... :blink:
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
alxbly
Dec 14 2006, 06:38 PM
So... how's the website going?  :unsure:

It's basically done and to be submitted to the prof this evening... but there's a few things I wanted to do before "releasing" it to y'alls... ;)

Presented it to my class today, and that actually went pretty well!! ^_^

Wednesday's presentation was the most-filled-with-BS-presentation on the face of this planet... but it's over now. And crap... I have NO motivation to do the translation I was supposed to present on, as well as this other paper (which I had luckily extended to Monday). The next 3 days are gonna suck balls to the power of 3,786,875,242 + infinity.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: