Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Interesting N64 facts FAQ; Please read and post (even Dave!)
Topic Started: Mar 2 2007, 11:09 AM (9,532 Views)
Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
There used to be a very interesting thread on the main Gamefaqs N64 board, where people could posts facts (or what they at least believed to be true) about the N64, it's games, it's scene and so on. Alright, so a lot of what was posted was unverifiable, but most of it was posted in good faith, and many discussions and counter-proofs were offered to the seemingly incorrect posts, and distilled down, this could have been made into a nice little FAQ, or at least incorporated into a larger N64 FAQ. But sadly, the topic has apparently been purged for Gamefaqs (they delete topics are a period of time).

So I thought we could try to build up a thread of N64 facts, with a view to maybe incorporating it into Alxlby's new site after it's been suitably clipped and corrected.

So please, feel free to post any N64 related facts, or things you belive might be true (please say if you only think it's true), and please say if you think anything is wrong, especially if you can offer proof.

Anyway, I'll start the ball rolling with a few (hopefully correct) facts:

N64 general

- The three games Resident Evil 2, Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, and Conkers Bad Fur Day jointly hold the record for the largest capacity N64 games cartridge, at 64MB.

- The N64 was the last commercial cartridge based console to be produced.

- N64 console release dates - Japan: June 23, 1996, North America: September 29, 1996, Great Britain: March 1, 1997 (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N64)

- Number of N64s sold: 32.93 million, beating both the XBox and the Gamecube (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N64)

Goldeneye

- is the joint best selling first person shooter ever, along with Halo 2 and Half-Life (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Best_selling_games#PC_2), although previously the same page listed GE as being the best selling of all FPSs, so there may be a mistake, especially as 8 million is a suspicusially round number for all three major FPSs to have allegedly sold,

- is often credited with saving the N64 from an early commercial death,

- was created entirely by people who'd never worked on a game before (amazingly!),

- the multiplayer was added almost at the end of the game's development, and was largely the work of one man.

The World is Not Enough

- The familiar Bond character Q seems to be missing from multiplayer, but he is there, but only accessible by cheating with a Gameshark or equivalent. During the game's creation, Desmond Llewelyn, who played Q, died, and out of respect the games creators removed him from the game's selection.

- TWINE (The World is Not Enough) lacks many of the features that Goldeneye has, and is often criticised for that fact. However, these omissions are largely down to MGM (who own the Bond films' copyright), rather than TWINE N64's programmers. When MGM gave Rare (well, Nintendo, who passed it onto Rare) the license to do a Bond game, the Bond name wasn't particularly associated with quality gaming (as no earlier Bond games had been very good, and most were awful), and MGM presumably had no sky-high expectations for the game (Goldeneye).

However, Goldeneye turned out to be a first class game, that not only sold a huge number of copies, but also turned the Bond name into a real draw for the gaming public. So when MGM were asked to licence out the Bond name again for another game, their attitude was more business like.

To begin with, GE (Goldeneye) contains many familair Bond icons, such as the official Bond tune, the opening scene where Bond walks on and shoots the "camera" (actually a gun barrel) and several villans from past Bond films. This is because MGM allowed Rare to use anything Bond related that Rare chose (with one execption, if I remember rightly, the American agent Jack somebody (can't remember) from the Goldeneye film, presumably because he was created outside the Bond universe, and hence had a different copyright). Yet TWINE has no traditional Bond music, no walk-on-and-shoot-the-camera scene and lacks the army of returning villains in multiplayer. This is allegedly because, MGM, realising that the Bond name now carried real weight in the gaming universe, now started to demand payment for every aspect of the Bond universe that was licensed out by them, not an all-in-one package. And allegedly EA (Electronic Art, who published TWINE) didn't want to spend extra money on the Bond music, the opening scene etc, so that is why TWINE lacks them.

Also, allegedly, MGM having seen the game Goldeneye, weren't too struck on some of GE's features, and insisted that TWINE did things differently. This is why you don't see Bond die in TWINE (as you do in GE), why there is no blood in TWINE, why there are no in-game cheats (MGM didn't want Bond associated with cheating) and why in multiplayer "good" characters cannot fight "good" (as aparently MGM didn't want Bond to be seen to be killing innocents or friendly characters).

[Source: my memory, based on what I can remember of the posts of two people (Skeleton and Dr Zhivago) who worked on TWINE, and who used to post on Gamefaqs and the offical EA forums, and answered our TWINE related questions).
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
- Super Mario 64 is the best selling N64 game, with 11.92 million copies sold worldwide.

- 1/3rd of all N64 owners bought Super Mario 64.

- There were 296 games released in North America.

- There are three games with the Early Childhood (“C”) rating: Elmo’s Letter Adventure, Elmo’s Number Journey, and Tigger’s Honey Hunt.

- There are only two Mature (“M”) rated titles that were published by Nintendo: Perfect Dark and Conker’s Bad Fur Day.

- The N64 has more colours of controllers than any other system (I'm just assuming on this one, since there are so many).

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
I am suspicious of any sale figures that come from Wikipedia.

-Wave Race 64 is not the first in the series -- it was also released for Gameboy

-Goldeneye predates Half-life by about a year. Things such as realistic level design, guns in realistic places (rather than floating on an altar like some gift from god), etc which Half-life is often credited for are gone earlier by Goldeneye. However, the level that Half-life takes these ideas suggests that Goldeneye really served no influence, one way or the other.

-That video of Terra, Loche, and Shadow fighting a monster that is often refered to as the "lost" Final Fantasy for N64 is a tech demo Square used to show what a modern RPG should look like.

-Pilotwings 64 is the N64's true legacy.

-[DELETED! :angry: ]

Deleted User
Deleted User

dagoss
Mar 2 2007, 09:43 PM
-All buttons on the N64's controller, including the control stick, are digital not analog (source: I vaguely remember hearing this -- I believe it came from Alxbly).

I've never posted anything like that... as far as I know the analogue stick is... well... analogue.
Quote Post Goto Top

niniendowarrior
Unregistered

The analog stick is analog. It uses a light emission sensor and a tiny gear to detect the tilt of the stick. Depending on the mold of the gear the light will either stop in the gear's plastic or push through to the other sensor thereby allowing the device to read the degree of tilting of the stick, hence, analog.
Quote Post Goto Top

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Mop_it_up
Mar 2 2007, 04:08 PM
dagoss
Mar 2 2007, 03:43 PM
-All buttons on the N64's controller, including the control stick, are digital not analog (source:  I vaguely remember hearing this -- I believe it came from Alxbly).

I thought I proved to you in a different thread that it's analogue. Every source I've seen confirms that it's analogue. Digital can't have varying degrees of input like analogue can. They also couldn't put "analogue control" on controller boxes if it were digital. Stop claiming it's digital just because you don't like it.

You didn't prove anything, you just said "it is, so shut the hell up". And I never said I don't like the control stick, I don't like the controllers design in general.

Such hostility for an apparently simple idea. As far as I can tell by playing around with the controller, it doesn't have a lot of distinct positions that result in different directional speed. In fact, it seems to only have like 3 or 4 tilt positions. That sounds more like it only appears analog. I don't see why it is unreasonable to even entertain the idea that such input could use a digital signal. Perhaps I read it somewhere, perhaps I didn't. Clearly I didn't hear it from Alxbly. I can't find anything substantiating my claim so maybe I have this mixed up with something else. But please, by all means, dismiss outright. :angry:

Deleted User
Deleted User

Everyone here has made valid points and suggestions. Lets keep the discussion on track and not get swayed by any personal differences. :)

Quote Post Goto Top

niniendowarrior
Unregistered

The ugly end of this forum rears up waaay too often. :rolleyes:
Quote Post Goto Top

Irene(Hydronix)
Member Avatar
Level 30 Necromancer/Master of Quest 64
Quest 64 is the first rpg to determine the difference between Night and Day.(never trust GameFAQs, oy)

Nobody in the world has(or had) as many save files as myself on Quest 64.

In the Quest 64 Manual, it doesn't list Magma Ball on the spell list...it's the only spell NOT listed amongst it, heh.
Even bastards need to let off some steam.

And apparently have more egos than Waffles.

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Hydronix
Mar 2 2007, 08:13 PM
Quest 64 is the first rpg to determine the difference between Night and Day.

Nobody in the world has(or had) as many save files as myself on Quest 64.

Actually, this was done much earlier in quite a few games. Pool of Radiance for C64, for example, had night and day. Ultima might have too (I was never an Ultima fan though)

Quote:

The ugly end of this forum rears up waaay too often.

Every forum is like that. People are just argumentative on the internet, probably because you can say anything and not get kicked in the face. I know I do it all the time, and so does everyone else. Isn't that right Kerr Avon? *cue evil villain theme music*

niniendowarrior
Unregistered

dagoss
Mar 2 2007, 08:52 PM
Hydronix,Mar 2 2007
08:13 PM

Actually, this was done much earlier in quite a few games. Pool of Radiance for C64, for example, had night and day. Ultima might have too (I was never an Ultima fan though)

Yes, Ultima does too. Even games like Quest for Glory.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Hey Dave, I think I've worked out why you might have thought this:

dagoss
Mar 2 2007, 03:43 PM
-All buttons on the N64's controller, including the control stick, are digital not analog (source:  I vaguely remember hearing this -- I believe it came from Alxbly).

Might you have been thinking about this:

"...The controls stick isn't analogue and opening up the Gunboy proves this".

From: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_For...p?showtopic=168

I just remembered about this yesterday (don't ask me why) but it might have been the misty memory that made you think the N64 controllers stick wasn't analogue.

???
Quote Post Goto Top

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Hm. It could have been that, or it might have been some other thing that was related to a 3rd party controller. I might have been thinking about something else. Maybe I was thinking about those touch screen check-outs in Super Markets. Who knows!

StYoung
Member Avatar
Elite
-Theres supposedly an Earthbound 64 beta out there.

- Resident Evil Zero was originally planned for the N64, as were other games that I can't say for sure. Someone help me out here.

- Luigi is not playable in Super Mario 64.

- Banjo-Kazooie originally had a way to "communicate" with Banjo-Tooie entitled "Stop 'N' Swop". An Ice Key and several Eggs are found in Banjo-Kazooie using cheat devices and were apparently intended to be transferred to the sequel.
dagoss,Nov 17 2007
05:13 PM
OMG, this is the best topic ever made.  I nominate Steve for God!

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
StYoung
Mar 6 2007, 06:38 PM
- Resident Evil Zero was originally planned for the N64, as were other games that I can't say for sure. Someone help me out here.

Dinosaur Planet (now called Star Fox Adventures) and Eternal Darkness were both planned on the N64 but ended up on the Gamecube.
Posted Image

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
-Conker's Bad Fur Day was never featured in Nintendo Power magazine.

-On the back of the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time box, the word "environments" was misspelled as "enivironments".

-In the credits of Super Smash Brothers, Charles Martinet's last name was misspelled as "Martinee".

Deku Link
well St Young did mention SNS(stop n swop) but if you go to www.rarewitchproject.com you can see more on SNS there and many other Rare secrets ( i am a member there but i dont post often my name is Hacked jinjo)

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
-The Transfer Pak was only used for 12 games on the Nintendo 64, and only 1 game for the Nintendo 64DD.

-Only 6 games in America used the Transfer Pak

-Perfect Dark was originally going to be able to use the Gameboy Camera to import faces to be used in-game but was takin out due to 'School Shoot outs'

-Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 are the only games on the N64 to allow you to play a Gameboy game (Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Silver, Gold, Crystal) on the big screen

Gaming Freak
Hardcore Gamer
Mop_it_up
Mar 26 2007, 08:49 AM
-In the credits of Super Smash Brothers, Charles Martinet's last name was misspelled as "Martinee".

Ouch, I'd be pissed if I were him and found that out.

Deku Link
I Belive That Megaman 64 has more save files that you can save on a cartridge that any other game 16 games can be saved to the cartridge.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Correction on the first fact on this thread. Pokemon Stadium 2 was 64MB, not The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, which was 32MB.

Here's a fact:

As of February 20, 2010, there are seveteen games on the North American Virtual Console with the 18th one coming soon.
Quote Post Goto Top

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Applepieman
Sep 30 2007, 07:35 PM

-Perfect Dark was originally going to be able to use the Gameboy Camera to import faces to be used in-game but was takin out due to 'School Shoot outs'
Although if I remember correctly they said it was because it was too buggy, but the school shootings is probably the real reason.
I remember reading about it in magazines back in the day, it was only cancelled pretty damn late in the development of the game.

yoshiguy
Member Avatar
Super Mario 64 Machinimist
The Nintendo 64 was the first 64-bit console that Nintendo has ever made :n64: :n64:
My new album is released on Bandcamp

Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
Two corrections.

1, Conker's Bad Fur Day was self-published by Rareware (they could do this, as the Stamper brothers were the majority shareholders).

2, Conker's Bad Fur Day was mentioned in Nintendo Power, but only in upcoming games lists, never in an article or ad.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Goldeneye started life as an on the rails shooter
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Peach'sCakeIsALie
Member Avatar
Flare Dancer
Jul 19 2012, 04:47 PM
Two corrections.

1, Conker's Bad Fur Day was self-published by Rareware (they could do this, as the Stamper brothers were the majority shareholders).

2, Conker's Bad Fur Day was mentioned in Nintendo Power, but only in upcoming games lists, never in an article or ad.
Yep, except in Europe where THQ picked it up. Rare also published Perfect Dark, for what it's worth the first M-rated Game Nintendo itself ever published was 2002's Eternal Darkness:Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube, although they did publish Perfect Dark in Japan so you could count that, I suppose.
Edited by Peach'sCakeIsALie, Oct 4 2012, 04:30 PM.
NTSC

cyan_phoenix
1) The Key and Eggs in Banjo Kazooie can be accessed just by using cheats (see :http://au.ign.com/cheats/games/banjo-kazooie-n64-1922).

I thought it was amazing when I figured you could access all those hidden areas all those years ago.

2) Nintendo made the PAL box art of some n64 games (i.e. Mario 64, pilot wings etc) with ugly black borders to emulate the massive black borders that unfortunate PAL n64 owners saw on the screen when playing the game (or maybe I just made that up :D).

Australia

N64 CIB Collection (EUR/USA/JPN): Complete!

retrozombieslayer
Member Avatar
Holy Nintendo, Batman!
yoshiguy (retired)
Jul 19 2012, 04:04 AM
The Nintendo 64 was the first 64-bit console that Nintendo has ever made :n64: :n64:
I believe it was also the first 64-bit console ever made by anybody. Unless you count the Atari Jaguar. Does anybody count the Jaguar? Why am I talking about Jaguars? :huh: Oh well, I put my two cents in.
Collection: NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Atari 2600, Xbox 360, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance SP, DS Lite, DSi, PSP-1000

My (horrifically outdated) Horror Blog:
http://horrorshowspooktacular.blogspot.com/

Flare Dancer
Member Avatar
Peach'sCakeIsALie
Oct 4 2012, 04:30 PM
Rare also published Perfect Dark, for what it's worth the first M-rated Game Nintendo itself ever published was 2002's Eternal Darkness:Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube, although they did publish Perfect Dark in Japan so you could count that, I suppose.
Are you sure about that? Nintendo promoted the heck out of PD in America.

Xephyrian
Member Avatar
Master Chief of the Universe
Captain Falcon and Ness are the only characters in Super Smash Bros that don't have stages from their games. Luigi and Jiggylpuff share with Mario and Pikachu respectively.
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: