Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
PAL optimised list; feedback welcome
Topic Started: Oct 18 2007, 09:00 AM (11,990 Views)
Xan
I started playing Quake II on the N64, which at first glance runs fullscreen and speed-optimized in PAL just like it is listed here, but when I switched to an S-Video cable I started noticing something odd... there are clear signs of non-integer scaling here, easily visible on stairstep patterns like the HUD numbers, where it's just not an even slope like it should be. I suspect the RCP has a capability of framebuffer scaling which is used here, so the game still renders the same amount of lines but stretches it out to fill a PAL TV. This has the advantage of giving proper aspect ratio and no borders but the graininess is hard to unsee once you notice it. I haven't checked other games for this but this is definitely something to look into.

Another thing about this port is the insane input lag, it takes a long time to get used to this. I beat the PSX version on hard without much trouble but aiming in this N64 port is often a chore.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply