Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Playstation discussion
Topic Started: Jan 15 2008, 04:40 PM (1,406 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

I found a bargain that I couldn't pass up today; an excellent condition PSOne boxed and complete with controller, leads and a few games. It was sitting in a charity shop window and I just couldn't resist. It cost a mere 10. :D

So, now that I have a PSOne I need some game recommendations. Here's what I already have:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Grand Theft Auto Collectors Edition (with GTA, GTA 2 and GTA London)

That's it. I want:

Ridge Racer
Wipeout
Street Fighter Alpha
Doom
Gran Turismo
Tekken
Tekken 2

Any other suggestions? Please give reasons for your recommendations. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Mr.378
Member Avatar
The Fallen Hero
I need Playstation recommendations, I have no games for mine.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Air Combat - the first game in the (now called) Ace Combat series, it was a lot of fun way back when, but in comparison to the newest Ace Combat games, it might be pretty tame.

Twisted Metals 1, 2, and 3 - these games are great. The single player is loads of fun, and the multiplayer is awesome, too, especially the cooperative mode. The vehicles, levels, and weapons are awesome.

Die Hard Trilogy - it has three different games within it. Die Hard is a third-person shooter. Die Hard 2 is an on rails first-person shooter (if you get a light gun, it's even better). Die Hard 3 is a driving game.
Posted Image

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
The RPG is to the PSX what shooters are to the TurboGrafx-16. Unfortunately, many of them are expensive unless you are willing to pirate. *awkward silence*

Anyway, I suspect that really isn't your genre (what's your stance on anime?), but there are a few I think you'd enjoy:
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Final Fantasy VIII (Don't discriminate!)
-Chrono Cross
-Parasite Eve
-Dragon Warrior VII
-Star Ocean: Second Story

Square and Enix made gold during the PSX's lifetime. It's a mystery why they haven't produced anything of worth since their merger.

I highly recommend Soul Reaver, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, MediEvil, Tactics Ogre, and Metal Gear Solid as well. If you haven't played the Mega Man X collection, now would be a good time to get Mega Man X4 (and I believe X3 was available in Europe, but it is probably bloody expensive). Also, Klonoa, Silent Hill, Bushido Blade, Syphon Filter.

Perhaps you can do me a favor and try to track down a game called Hellnight ("Dark Messiah" in Japan). It's a survival horror game that didn't gather a strong following, but I've heard excellent impressions of it. It was released in Europe but not the US, so I never got a chance to play it.

The PSX's library is huge. Is there anything you're really interested in? If you can stomach RPGs with stronger Japanese influences, the flood gates open with games like Persona II (*orgasm*), Grandia, and so forth.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
well, i only had a few ps1 games.

driver
driver 2
metal gear solid
tony hawk
syphon filter

i like them all, but the first 4 there were all great psx games. syphon filter was ok, i never playing it much...

Deku Link
Digimon world 1,2, and 3! Get them all! They're cheap and good!

EDIT: Also the first 3 crashes and the Final Fantasys are worth it too.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Couldn't you have already bought PS1 games since you have a PS2?

Anyways, the only thing I play on the PlayStation is the MTV Music Generator. I don't know if it was released in PAL territories or not.
I also wouldn't recommend getting Doom if you have the PC original, as it is yet another watered down port.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Thank you all for your recommendations, you've stirred a few memories of games that I need to add to my list. :)

Rapueda

Die Hard Trilogy - it has three different games within it.

I'd forgotten about Die Hard. It's a definite must buy for me. I've only played the first Twisted Metal (I think), so I'll get oen and see what I think of them. Air Combat also sounds good.

Dagoss

The RPG is to the PSX what shooters are to the TurboGrafx-16. Unfortunately, many of them are expensive unless you are willing to pirate. *awkward silence*

Anyway, I suspect that really isn't your genre (what's your stance on anime?), but there are a few I think you'd enjoy...

I don't mind spending money on a game if I know it's worthwhile. I quite enjoy RPG's but sometimes have trouble getting into them (I think the last RPG I finished was Skies of Arcadia Legends on Gamecube), but it's not a genre that I dislike... quite the opposite, in fact.

Chrono Cross is a game I'd definitely like to try out, and the Final Fantasy games as well. My trouble with them is that I'm not sure where to start (VII?). Any advice on that would be appreciated. I have played bits of VII, VIII and IX already but this was a long time ago at a friends house, so I never got into the story of any of them.

Soul Reaver, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill and Syphon Filter are all games I'd like to track down and I'll see if I can get a copy of Hellnight as well! :)

stinger9142

well, i only had a few ps1 games.

driver
driver 2
metal gear solid
tony hawk
syphon filter

I think I want every game in your collection!

Deku Link

I've never played a Digimon game... what exactly do you do in them?

Mop

Couldn't you have already bought PS1 games since you have a PS2?

Anyways, the only thing I play on the PlayStation is the MTV Music Generator. I don't know if it was released in PAL territories or not.
I also wouldn't recommend getting Doom if you have the PC original, as it is yet another watered down port.

I already have been buying PS1 games, just not very many of them. I have a huge collection of three games now! I played MTV Music Generator on the Xbox... it's okay. I'd prefer to get something like that for the PC though.

I seem to remember Doom looking/playing quite well on the PS1. Maybe it was Doom II? :unsure:
Quote Post Goto Top

Mr.378
Member Avatar
The Fallen Hero
alxbly
Jan 16 2008, 02:06 PM
Deku Link

I've never played a Digimon game... what exactly do you do in them?

I've played them before, It's kind of hard to describe one, but 2 and 3 were RPGs.

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Alxbly

Chrono Cross is a game I'd definitely like to try out, and the Final Fantasy games as well. My trouble with them is that I'm not sure where to start (VII?). Any advice on that would be appreciated. I have played bits of VII, VIII and IX already but this was a long time ago at a friends house, so I never got into the story of any of them.

Definitely start with VII since it was the prototype that most post-FF7 RPGs followed -- plus it kicks like 4,000 asses. I maxed out the play clock in it -- twice! FFVIII is good too (I don't think they main series has produced a bad game), but the gameplay and story are so different that it gets unfairly criticized. I loved FF9, but it draws heavily on the 2D FF games (meaning a lot of the people that jumped on the RPG bandwagon after FF7 simply don't "get it"). Chrono Cross is really great as well, and it has virtually nothing to do with Chrono Trigger. Also, I forgot to mention that Parasite Eve is actually an RPG/Survival Horror hybrid (mostly RPG though). There aren't many games like it, I bet it's right up your alley. PE2 however, is a flat-out knock-off of Resident Evil and, in my opinion, not a very good one.

I forgot to mention Vagrant's Story and Xenogears in my other post. And Wild Arms 2. The PSX version of Valkyrie Profile is pretty expensive (usually over $120), but it was rereleased for PSP with fancy CG movies to boot (the sequel for PS2 is great too!).

Did you know that you can play the first nine Final Fantasy games (excluding FF3) on a PSX? It's true! :wub:

Anyway, start with FF7 and play the entire thing rather than doing your Mario-Galaxy-I'm-going-to-play-for-half-an-hour-then-come-back-to-it-some-time-eventually-probably-never thing that I hear you do sometimes. I'd play Parasite Eve after that, since I think you'd really enjoy it. The problem with trying out a bunch of RPGs is they are so time consuming :(

Sorry if my posts sound mildly obsessive. I have a slight fondness for these games.

Deleted User
Deleted User

That's alright, I think we all have a passion for certain games. :)

dagoss

Anyway, start with FF7 and play the entire thing rather than doing your Mario-Galaxy-I'm-going-to-play-for-half-an-hour-then-come-back-to-it-some-time-eventually-probably-never thing that I hear you do sometimes.

<_<

Don't start me on Mario Galaxy... as I'm actually beginning to hate that game now. :angry:

Anyway, if FFVII has an engrossing story (which I suspect it does) and decent gameplay then there's every chance that I'll play it through. But if it doesn't interest me then I won't. Simple as that.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deku Link
alxbly you will love FFVII I'm sure.

As For the Digimon games I'll Give an overveiw for them because there all different.
DW 1: Sort of Like rasing a virtual pet EX Feeding them, Making sure they use a toilet when they have to go ECT but you also train them for fights too and you go out and fight wild Digimon Like Pokemon Over time Digimon "Digivolve" into higher forms but UNLIKE Pokemon It's sort of time based ( after a few amount of days they grow) so geting stronger only derterminens the form your Digi takes meaning you can get several differnt forms per Digimon. However this game dose have it's flaws too because sometimes you will not be able to get the digivoled form you want as you HAVE o get the stats SPOT ON you go a few points over on one stat and you will likely get something else and there is no way to drop a stat and even once you get the form you want Digimon DIE(as in poof gone forever) When they get to old so you cant carry around a Ultimate Level Digimon for a long time. also another bad thing is( there is always something like this ALL the DW) is that when Digivole ALL of your stats are kinda "Reset" to a value the "should" be witch means if you overlevel it's kind of like shooting your self in the foot. also you can only have 1 digimon with you at a time so if you want a new one you have to wait for you're old one to die
Wow this is practicly a FULL reveiw I think I should just wirte one for all 3 then
but...
DW 2: Now this game Is COMPLETLY differnt form DW 1 in this game you're a Digimon "Tamer" witch is Basicly as person who Raises Digimon and save the world and such. In this one is more like a typical "Monster rasing" RPG where you only have to level up and such. this game is a little cooler because you can have 3 Digimon with you at a time and you fight 3 on 3 battles with enemys. Also in Digimon world 1 where you were in the wildernes as a kid in this game you Ride in a "Digi-Bettle" or Tank trough dungeons and find the boss and kill it. The tank is pretty cool you can buy upgrades for it troughout the game so it can carry more fuel more HP better tries and guns ECT. Some of the problems are that the Digi-Bettles orginal battery only lets you move 100 spaces before you run out(witch makes you transport ALL the way back to town) so in the begining you have to carry a TON of EP-Packs in order to recharge yourself or contantly blow your chah on Better bateries or up grades in order to go farther. Hitting traps deplete your HP but in the bengining of the game traps are scarce and the one you do find deplete so little HP and can be evaded easly but a little bit farther in you begin to find traps that do a ton of damage and can only be evaded if you up-grade allmost everything on your Beetle so you can dissarm/survive it.
As I said erarlyer all the battles are 3D 3 on 3 battles where you have to defeat the other side. In siad battles you chose what attack you'r Digi uses or weather or not you fire a cannon or flee.
Now some of the problems with the battles are is that they take FOREVER right before you attack the game shows the name and waits about 5 seconds before the animation starts so attacks a looooong time to do and so even battles that you run from take about 30 seconds just to get out of... also the enemys drop so few EXP and money it takes about an hour to gain 1 level at level 15... My Metalgreymon(high leved Digi that can be obtianed farily early in the game) I got him at EL 21 and on the file he is on he is level 23 after playing for 48+ hours..... so he gets about 1 level every 24 hours.....
Also to Digivolve digis in this game Rookie digimon(lowest from) all evolve at EL 11 then agian at EL 22 and then EL33 but each digimon has a Level cap witch prevents them from gaining any more EXP un till you DNA digivolve(take two Champion[ 1 form higher than Rookie]or higher form digimon and combine them to make a new digimon one form lower than the two at the lowest possible level for it's type) witch rasies the cap a few lvs higher EX(EL 13 to EL15) so you might be able to get a level great egnugh to digivolve again. this sucks because you lose both the digis you uesd to DNA and get a low leveld lower form digi that can go a few LVs higher but can learn all the moves both parrents had when they were lost.

I really havent palyed too much of DW 3 but its a bit more like pokemon than the rest.
But here is my personal favoites

DW 2, DW3, Dw1
Oh and if you can get Digimon world 4 for gamecube/Wii it's like Gauntlet( being 4 player CO-OP) and an deep RPG in one and it trumps all three of these.(It's also on Ps2 and Xbox but the GC one is better as the Ps2 only has 2 player and the Xbox only lets 4 characters per HARD-Drive witch sucks)

Deleted User
Deleted User

They sound like a rip of Pokemon. Not really my scene. :-/
Quote Post Goto Top

Deku Link
Well at least get No. 4 on whatever I'm sure you will like it.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Jan 16 2008, 03:06 PM
I seem to remember Doom looking/playing quite well on the PS1.  Maybe it was Doom II?  :unsure:

The PlayStation Doom contains levels from both Doom and Doom II, but it doesn't have every level. I can't remember much else as it's been ages since I've played it, so there may be other differences. But it couldn't possibly be better than the PC originals.

EDIT: Here's a nice Doom Compendium which compares all of the Doom versions.

Deku Link
Get FF7.

l0whit07
Member Avatar
Established Member
Why are some of the PS1 games in "long" or "tall" boxes? I was at a used game store today and saw Metal Gear Solid in a tall box? Is there any reason for this? Does this make them less valuable, more valuable, neither? Just confused... I've never known much about the PS1.

EDIT: Scratch that Metal Gear part. My fault. It was the Metal Gear Solid that came out as part of a trilogy. It was in a PS2 case, not a long box.
Edited by l0whit07, Apr 15 2010, 08:24 PM.
Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

I never really owned an Playstation, but I did have some fond memories of it at my uncle's house in Dallas, Texas. My favorite was Gran Turismo.

Might start getting Playstation games once I buy a Playstation 3.
Quote Post Goto Top

Doomguy007
You should try out the Crash Bandicoot series, a good platforming series. I think you should also try out Twisted Metal 4, a great car combat game.

I too, even have to still expand my Ps1 collection.
[Insert Signature Here]

Ganondorf
Member Avatar
i only like the Crash games deleveloped by NAUGHTY DOG . After i played Crash of the titans i dont think i'll play another Crash game incase it ruins my memory of the great series on the PS1.
Edited by Ganondorf, May 29 2010, 05:04 AM.
Plato "wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something"

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
l0whit07
Apr 14 2010, 08:27 PM
Why are some of the PS1 games in "long" or "tall" boxes? I was at a used game store today and saw Metal Gear Solid in a tall box? Is there any reason for this? Does this make them less valuable, more valuable, neither? Just confused... I've never known much about the PS1.

EDIT: Scratch that Metal Gear part. My fault. It was the Metal Gear Solid that came out as part of a trilogy. It was in a PS2 case, not a long box.
Some of the very early PS1 games were in a tall cardboard box. I have no idea as to why this is so, nor do I know if there is any value added to the games that have this. Here is one that I have compared to the jewel case PS1 games.
Posted Image

I'm not sure how many games I have like this one, maybe two or three at the most. Maybe it was cheaper than the jewel case? There was nothing inside extra except for the taller boolet and a sponge to hold the disc in place.

Posted Image

But you are right that some of the early PS1 games did have a tall box.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Ganondorf
Member Avatar
were these tall boxes only realeased in America?, i assume they rare quite rare considering i have never come across one untilll now
Plato "wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something"

Deleted User
Deleted User

About the tall boxes, I remember that Re-Boot Playstation version had that tall, early, box. It think it was released in 1999, so I doubt it's an early PS title.
Quote Post Goto Top

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Jul 13 2010, 10:34 AM
About the tall boxes, I remember that Re-Boot Playstation version had that tall, early, box. It think it was released in 1999, so I doubt it's an early PS title.
Odd, the Re-Boot that we have is in a jewel case. :blink:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

action
bumping an old thread, to talk about an old console. the PS1 8)

I've uncovered it yesterday from the basement, and the first thing i did was give it a good cleaning. as is a known problem with these consoles, the lid wouldnt close sometimes. so i disassembled the concole, gave it a cleaning and now its shuts firmly again, like new.

the controller needed both an inner and outer cleaning too. years of dirt had accumulated. the start button was unresponsive. the L2 button was stuck. so i disassembled it too, and holy *** was i in for a surprise. the inner guts of the dualshock 1 are complex! it's like these creepy presents where when you open it a joker jumps out on a spring. its like 3 layers, there is no firm motherboard (only a paper thin green plastic sleeve). cleaned the contacts, somehow managed to squeeze all the guts back in (you dont want to know!) and now it runs like a charm!

these are the games in my collection:
- metal gear solid
- metal gear solid special missions
- FFVII
- FFVIII
- FFIX
- destruction derby 2
- wipeout 2097
- blood omen legacy of kain
- resident evil 2
- resident evil 3
- die hard trilogy
- tekken
- mission : impossible
- gran turismo
- duke nukem
- duke nukem time to kill
- command and conquer
- command and conquer red alert
- command and conquer retaliation
- mortal kombat trilogy

all in all a good collection of games, most of them games i bought when they were released. years after the N64 - PS1 wars i can now appreciate these games from a more objective view. these games are really fun and a real throwback to times when not every game was about story / QTE's / DLC / apps and other nonsense. :wub:
Edited by action, Dec 7 2014, 04:10 PM.

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Ah! The enemy! Kill it with fire!

Heheh just kidding. :lol: I was actually one of those kids who owned both consoles though I didn't get a PlayStation until late in it's lifespan. The first three games I got with the system was Twisted Metal 2, Jet Moto 2 and a PlayStation Underground demo disc. It was fun, but I'll admit I did spend more of my time on the N64. That and one of my friends accidentally messed with the disc reader, rendering the thing useless.

Cut to many years later (as in maybe three years ago), I find a PlayStation with the cords, two controllers (one of them didn't work unfortunately) and an official PlayStation carrying bag for $13 at a Goodwill I used to frequent. I still have it today and I used that demo disc from so long ago as a guide to buy some of the good games (Crash Bandicoot 2, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver) while avoiding some of the crummy stuff on that cd (Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasi).

Anyway, here's my collection of games:
- Pac-Man World
- Pocket Fighter
- Intelligent Qube
- Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back
- Crash Bandicoot: Warped
- Jet Moto
- Jet Moto 2
- Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
- Gundam Battle Assault 2
- Tomb Raider
- Spyro The Dragon
- 2Xtreme
- Cool Boarders 2
- Gauntlet Legends
- Gran Turismo 2
- Road Rash 3D
- Metal Gear Solid
- Twisted Metal 2
- WWF Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role (my favorite game on the system)
- Digimon World
- Tekken 2
- Tekken 3
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
- Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
- 007 The World is Not Enough
- Battle Arena Toshinden 3
- Dino Crisis 2
- Colony Wars
- PlayStation Underground Jampack Winter '99 (demo disc)
- CD Interactive Sampler Disc Vol. 9 (demo disc)

Yeah quite a few games. In fact, it might be bigger than my N64 collection. Probably because I haven't seen an N64 cartridge here in a very long time. I can't say I enjoy everything in my PS1 collection, though. Tomb Raider hasn't aged well at all and Road Rash 3D is just lazy. Seriously, how do you have less features than Road Rash II & III (both of which were on the Sega Genesis)? I was also disappointed with TWINE's lack of the N64 version's multiplayer (though the game itself is pretty good).

Still, it's a fun console to play and I hope my collection gets bigger and bigger as the years go on.
Posted Image

YogurtStorm
Member Avatar
Your mom is a nice lady
I got my PS1 when I was 6, if I remember correctly, it was the Christmas of 1996 and my brother and I were PSYCHED out of our minds playing the only two games we had for it initially, which were Hercules and an Underground demo. I clearly remember we didn't understand the purpose of demo's so we didn't actually realize that we weren't playing the full games. We thought we were beating all the games really fast because they were super short! :lol:

I started re-acquiring some PS1 games starting a few years ago too and, thanks to our very own Bluedog's help, got one of the awesome Alps Interactive boomerang controllers I had gotten shortly after (we only had one controller but, being brothers, two were in order!). I've so far only acquired games that I either had, rented or played at friends' and was jealous I didn't have :lol: I've got about 30 or 40 of them, the highlights (in my eyes) being Parappa the Rapper (we had one level on a demo and I would play it all the time not realizing it was only a demo and I was actually missing out), Hercules, Blasto, Crash Bandicoot, Twisted Metal 1,2 & 3 (TMs were me and the brothers' favorite games to play, specifically TM3), Jetmoto 2 and Spider!
Edited by YogurtStorm, Dec 8 2014, 07:52 PM.
My Youtube Channel: All game. No bla-bla. PS4 ShareFactory gameplay
Posted Image Home of Conker's Corner

Cabanon
Elite
what I always remember of the PS1 era was the load time, gosh that was stupid long. anyhow, I friend, at the time, had one (actually he was the only one with a ps1 instead of n64 lol) with couple of games, Twisted Metal, Jet moto, Resident Evil, and that was cool to play. Not sure I'd be willing to play them again tho, maybe Twisted Metal as I'm not into RE games at all.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...

:lol: EnvyFox

I also owned both, but STRONGLY preferred Nintendo in those days. I got an N64 in 96. After getting my first job in 2000, I saved and bought a PSX.
Why, you ask? Primarily due to a couple of games, Metal Gear Solid and Driver. I soon after acquired THPS 2, Driver 2, and Syphon Filter. I had fun on the system, but nowhere near as much as my good old 64 :)

I fell out of love with Nintendo with the release of the Gamecube, and have been a Sony fan since.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
The PlayStation was life for me in the 90s. I went from the Genesis and SNES to it and my world was flipped turned upside down and I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there...well, anyway. It was amazing and I can never get that feeling back. I never felt that way with any Nintendo console (sorry :mellow: ). I can also never explain it and do justice so I will simply say it has and will always be my favorite console AND time in my life. :PS: :yeah:

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: