Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Playstation discussion
Topic Started: Jan 15 2008, 04:40 PM (1,401 Views)
Mk II
Member Avatar
Elite
I confess i do have a PlayStation.
It is hidden away in a box in the darkest corner of my attic.
I got it as part of a larger deal and never even hooked it up to a TV.
Nintendo rules my world and those upstarts at Sony have no place in it. >:-]

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
It's a great thing we have such unbiased, open-minded gamers here...

:whistle:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), The Swapper, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
These last three posts had me rolling :lol:

That being said, I guess I am not to open minded myself. I don't think I could ever bring myself to own a Microsoft gaming system :-X

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
(amazing bump-recovery Action! ;) )

I can feel the rage :D

when I got my PS1 (rebuild..) I got a box with all copied games. and it was the first time I actually got a headache!
Good times......

now I own a couple of those (including a PSX (japan only) and a PS3 TEST unit.. ) but not playing on it,
Also the only console with DDR :(

even Though I do admire the Playstation, I admit they had some amazing titles and some...interesting... controllers
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

MrKoippa
Member Avatar
Retired gamer
edit
Edited by MrKoippa, Feb 6 2016, 06:49 AM.
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Good story :yeah:

I never owned Tekken for PSX, but I did play and enjoy it. Later on I did own Tekken Tag for PS2. Good stuff :D

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Back in the 90's I played my original Playstation much more than I played the N64. That's because of such great games as Tekken 3, Gran Turismo 2 and Street Fighter Alpha 3. However, one game series truly defines the Playstation experience for me and that's the 3 original Armored Core games pictured below.

Posted Image

I must have poured thousands of hours in to these games. In fact, I liked them so much that I set up two TV's in my basement with 2 linked Playstations so my friend Doug and I could go at it whenever he came over. We were constantly tinkering with our Mecha creation's parts and load-outs trying to gain advantage in our subsequent meetings.

One time I even allowed a person I met on an Armored Core message board to visit my home for a serious no-holds-barred battle of AC supremacy. The bout was to determine not only who had the better Mecha design but also to see who could control their creation more skillfully. The guy - who went by the moniker of Ace was a real loudmouth. Granted, he did have some skills but he relied so heavily on energy based weapons that I quickly figured out strategies to make him drain all his power and then picked him apart like a vulture devours carrion. It was glorious and my friend Doug I still reminisce about it today. :D
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Occasionally I plug in my original PlayStation rather than play its software on the PS2. I mostly do it just to make sure that it still works and partially for nostalgia. It's amazing how the PSX is a sort of time machine to a better time and place for me.

So I plugged it in and these are the games I played.

1) Armored Core: Project Phantasma
2) Street Fighter Alpha 3
3) Crash Team Racing
4) SoulBlade
5) Tekken 3

Doesn't seem like much of a stretch to say that these are all masterpieces in their own right. Surprising how well they've held up too.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
The only games I ever played on an original PlayStation were Resident Evil 2(Masterpiece) and the Simpsons Wrestling(garbage). Unfortunatly prices are also bad on Ps1 just like N64 and it's going to be a few years before I have enough free time to delve into the ps1 library proper. Can't say I'm not impressed by what I've seen of Crash Team Racing, Spyro, Armored Core, and Tekken 3. With the amount of classics I've experienced on Ps2 growing up I bet the ps1 has much of the same qualities.
Posted Image
Posted Image I only partially like some of you
Posted Image The award I will forever be most proud of

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Crash Team Racing is indeed impressive and most of all it's just plain fun. To my mind it feels more like the spiritual successor to Super Mario Kart (SNES) than Super Circuit on the GBA does.

Today I'm probably going to play Omega Boost, Hot Shots Golf and Bushido Blade while I still have the PlayStation set up. :)

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
One game I remember really wanting from the PlayStation library but never being able to get was Animaniacs: Ten Pin Alley. It probably performed as well as most other licensed games of the time but the commercials sold me as a child. Alas, it never came to the 64 (though apparently a port was in the works then cancelled).
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Oh and by the way, I've been playing all my PlayStation games with the original dog bone controller rather than with a Dual Shock. Really wanted to get that retro experience. :)

Which reminds me, I also own one of these rare and collectible Dual Analog Controllers. Maybe I should start using it instead. 8)

Posted Image

Posted Image

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Oh man. I may have preferred and still do prefer the N64 (and I'm not just saying that because of the site I'm typing this on :whistle: ) but I still love me some PS1 games! Before touching the eye of it as a kid and trying to turn it into a robot with my friend and brother so we could enter Battlebots for CASH PRIZES :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: , the PS1 helped create childhood memories with games like Twisted Metal II, Tekken 3, Silent Hill, that one demo disc with the Crash Bandicoot 2 demo disc and, most importantly, WWF Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role which I played religiously until some kid suckered me into letting him borrow it the day before he moved away. Goooood tiiiiiiiiiiiimes...

Anyway, around the time I just started collecting retro games again (maybe a year after tops), I found a PS1 with the back cords, two controllers (one non-functioning) and an official PlayStation bag to hold it all in for 50% off the original price (thank you colored price tags). Since then, I've collected quite a few PS1 games over the years. Some from my childhood, some I wanted as a kid but didn't have and some I didn't even know I wanted until I got them. Some games aged very well and others are the first Tomb Raider game. :-X Anyway, I thought I'd list off some of my favorites from my collection in no particular order with extremely brief descriptions about them so you get a gist of whether or not they're in a genre you're interested in. Anyway, let's begin! :D

Twisted Metal 2 - Vehicular combat game where the winner gets one wish granted no matter how ridiculous it is. Features a psychotic clown in an ice cream truck and The Grim Reaper on a motorcycle.

WWF Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role - Pro wrestling game starring the #1 wrestling promotion in the United States. Has one of my favorite story modes of any WWF/WWE game I've played so far.

Digimon World - RPG that takes more from the digital pet toys than the anime. A more unique PS1 RPG experience.

Tekken 2 & 3 - 3d fighting games with terrific controls and fun characters to play as. Personally, I like 2 over 3 but both are must owns for sure.

Metal Gear Solid - Stealth action game that rewards getting through rooms undetected over running in guns blazing. Has an incredible (albeit initially confusing) storyline with multiple endings.

Battle Arena Toshinden 3 - Another 3d fighter that uses weapons over fists. It's no Soul Blade but it's way better than given credit for IMO.

Dino Crisis 2 - Ridiculously mindless and fun action game involving being sent to a time where dinosaurs roamed the world. Huge departure from the puzzle-heavy DC1.

Namco Museum vol. 1 & 3 - Classic Namco arcade compilations inside of an explorable 3d museum filled with extras. I wish later Namco Museum compilations took after these two.

Wild 9 - 2.5d platformer with more sadistic ways to un-alive your enemies than most in the genre but it's okay because the main character will just shout "Wexcellent!" to lighten the mood back up. :lol:

Bust-A-Move '99 - Puzzle game involving colorful bubbles you must match to clear. Features Bub from Bubble Bobble and Sonic Blast Man from his self-titled games among others.

Pocket Fighter - Wacky 2d fighting game with chibi versions of characters from Street Fighter, Darkstalkers and Red Earth. Comes with PS1 exclusive Edit Fighter mode.

Intelligent Qube - 3d puzzle game where you play a man trying to clear blocks on a narrow strip of land before they fall over the edge or squash you.

Crash Bandicoot 2 & Warped - Two of the best 3d platformers I've ever played in my life. I prefer Warped over 2 due to it's level variety and I prefer both of them over the Spyro series.

Jet Moto 2 - Futuristic hoverbike racing game that has a fairer difficulty than the first game. Get the original release for more characters on screen or the Greatest Hits "Championship Edition" for faster speeds.

Gundam Battle Assault 2 - 2d fighter starring characters from Mobile Suit Gundam all the way to Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz and even an original mobile suit from the first game. I'm personally not a fan of the Gundam anime series but that didn't stop me from effortlessly sinking hours into this one.

And that about does it. Again, these are just the absolute favorites I own in my personal collection so far. The amount of quality PS1 titles is mind-blowing. Like I said, I'm more of an N64 man but when someone tells me they prefer the PS1 I totally see where they come from. Viva la 5th gen gaming! :yeah:

EDIT: Oh wow! Completely forgot I've already posted in this thread years back but it looks like that list I made needed updating anyway. ^_^
Edited by EnvyFox, May 31 2017, 04:43 AM.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
EnvyFox
May 31 2017, 02:03 AM
Gundam Battle Assault 2 - 2d fighter starring characters from Mobile Suit Gundam all the way to Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz and even an original mobile suit from the first game. I'm personally not a fan of the Gundam anime series but that didn't stop me from effortlessly sinking hours into this one.
I'm a big fan of mechs and also the fighting game genre in general which is probably why I like Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Duel on the SFC so much. For that reason, Gundam Battle Assault 2 looks like a game I gotta play eventually. Thanks for making me aware of it!

Yeah, the PS1 library is HUGE with a lot of duds but plenty of games that have aged amazingly well too. 2D fighters like Gundam Battle Assault 2 hardly ever get old unless they weren't very good to begin with.

Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: