Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (37,276 Views)
D.J Cat
Member Avatar
alxbly
Apr 6 2008, 09:32 AM

My only other quibble is that some of the levels are too big. It's like the developers at Rare were saying "Look how freakin' big we can make this level look" but they forgot to put interesting stuff to do inside some of those levels. The end result is you go "wow, this is pretty big for a N64 game" but then you get annoyed because you spend five minutes running to the other side, kill some enemies and then you have run back for five minutes to get to the door that opened. Another cheap way of extending the game.

You know I never, ever got that feeling, even in Donkey Kong 64 as well.
Maybe I was naive, or too caught up in the atmosphere, or just having to much fun.
Who knows?

Last night we played multiplayer Bomberman and Super Smash in 3 player battles.
Both were great fun.

I've had so many great battles, just int he last 2 years with Bomberman. Its just a case of mentioning or showing the game, and SO many people say how much they loved it and want to play again.
And its such a great "pick up and play" as well!

Single Player I've only really dabbled in Perfect Dark in bits and pieces as I do, 90% of the time is Combat Simulator, cause I find all the killin is relaxing or something...
And also I had a go at that Area 51 Speedrun.
Was fun!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

D.J Cat
Apr 13 2008, 11:55 PM
You know I never, ever got that feeling, even in Donkey Kong 64 as well.
Maybe I was naive, or too caught up in the atmosphere, or just having to much fun.
Who knows?

It's been a while since I played Donkey kong 64 but, from memory, it doesn't suffer from the same problem, despite it having huge levels. The main reason for this was that in DK64's levels there was usually always something to do or see. JFG wasn't the same in this respect. There are several outdoor levels that are absolutely huge but have nothing in the middle; all you do is run from one side to another. Play through the Cerulean planet to see what I mean.
Quote Post Goto Top

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Yesterday I bought 2 games, Mischief Makers & Shadow Man (sealed) at a local "flea" market. I'm really impressed by Shadow Man, beyond the presentation, the ease of the controls and frame rate. The levels are open and fogless. I spent practically all my time (last night) on that game, but at least booted-up Mischief Makers. Treasure's 3 for 3.

Last week I bought Star Wars Epsidoe I: Pod Racer. It was a bit of an impulse buy, but I'd been interested it buying it when it first came out. It reminds me of a cross between F-Zero and San Francisco Rush (gravity-defying jumps, special routes). I've been meaning to overclock my N64 again, and a game like this wil hopefully move nearly as fast in hi-rez as low-rez afterwards (not that the frame rate is that bad in hi-res).

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Shiren Wonders
Apr 14 2008, 05:28 AM
I'm really impressed by Shadow Man, beyond the presentation, the ease of the controls and frame rate. The levels are open and fogless. I spent practically all my time (last night) on that game, but at least booted-up Mischief Makers. Treasure's 3 for 3.

Great purchase. Shadow Man is a HUGE game and will take a long time to get through it, and it gets better and better as you go along. There's so much to see and do and explore.
Posted Image

<span style=Sapper</span>
Member Avatar
Nintendoin' since '97
I just won all firing range challenges in Perfect Dark. :D
Posted Image

Your favorite game's soundtracks

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Sapper
Apr 20 2008, 03:17 PM

Phf. Even I've done those! I have a gold on all of them and I haven't beaten a single campaign level on Perfect Agent!

<span style=Tokala</span>
Member Avatar
Established Member
Sapper
Apr 20 2008, 02:17 PM

All gold?
Peace out!

Deleted User
Deleted User

Sapper
I just won all firing range challenges in Perfect Dark.  :D

Nice one. I had completed them all on my first Perfect Dark cart but I've never got around to doing them in the cart I currently own. Have you done any of the combat simulator challenges yet? That's another thing I need to do again... and it wasn't so easy the first time! >_<
Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I've just started playing Earthworm Jim 3D, and boy, is it one weird game! Jim is in a coma, I forget why, and he has to go through his mind and collect his lost marbles. Some of the tasks you have to do are pretty random, such as searching for a character's lost underwear, or destroy a grenade-egg laying chicken (does this remind anyone of Banjo-Tooie?).

Overall, the game plays pretty well; the framerate is steady, and the control is tight. The graphics are pretty good too, with relatively smooth textures and decent polygon counts, although the animation, especially for certain enemies, is pretty stiff and at times seems like there are some frames missing. The music and sound effects are nothing memorable; seriously, I don't remember them.

As I expected though, the camera is terrible! Did they put any effort into programming it? It never automatically moves where you want it to go, so you have to fiddle with the camera buttons to keep it behind Jim. You also can't move into the camera, so if you've just come through a door and want to go back through, you'll have to move the camera out of the way first. The camera hasn't presented too much of a problem yet; enemies so far have been pretty weak, and most of them drop energy-replenishing items. Still, if the game gets more difficult then the camera could be a problem.

I haven't played enough for a final verdict, but... so far so good. :)

<span style=Sapper</span>
Member Avatar
Nintendoin' since '97
alxbly
Apr 21 2008, 04:35 AM
Sapper
I just won all firing range challenges in Perfect Dark.  :D

Nice one. I had completed them all on my first Perfect Dark cart but I've never got around to doing them in the cart I currently own. Have you done any of the combat simulator challenges yet? That's another thing I need to do again... and it wasn't so easy the first time! >_<

I've done 1/3 of them... and now the things a getting harder

Btw a question to all: Which firing range challenge do you think was the hardest/most frustrating?
I sat nearly 2 hours on the Devastator gold challenge. :(
K7 Avenger (gold), Crossbow (gold) and Laser (silver) were also hard.
Posted Image

Your favorite game's soundtracks

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Sapper
Apr 21 2008, 05:42 AM
Btw a question to all: Which firing range challenge do you think was the hardest/most frustrating?
I sat nearly 2 hours on the Devastator gold challenge. :(
K7 Avenger (gold), Crossbow (gold) and Laser (silver) were also hard.

I had trouble with some of the automatics (especially the reaper) until I figured out that crouching makes you more accurate. Overall, I didn't have much trouble with the firing range, mainly because it is short, easy to return, and without hazards. The campaign in that game however gives me all sorts of trouble...

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Sapper
Apr 21 2008, 06:42 AM

It's been a long while since I've completed them but for some reason the Reaper came instantly to mind. That thing is just so darned inaccurate that even the bronze is a pain to get.

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Has anyone here beaten Sin & Punishment on hard? I made it up to 2-3 and died on the boss. This is really quite a test of endurance, since you have to play the game in one sitting. I can't imagine how much 3-2 will bend me over and ravish me...

Deleted User
Deleted User

dagoss
Apr 26 2008, 11:43 PM
I can't imagine how much 3-2 will bend me over and ravish me...

That's not an image I want in my mind, Mr Goss. :-X

Anyway, I've been playing Perfect Dark. I never completed the game when I bought it again a few years ago. I'd got as far as Crash Site and then got bored. I love Perfect Dark but Crash Site is a crap level, probably the worst in the game. After a few tries I'm now on to Pelagic II... which isn't so great either. It's been years since I played through Perfect Dark and I remember very little about this level (it's pretty forgetable anyway).

But...

The guard that you see in the introduction cinematic at the start of the level looks a bit like Shigeru Miyamoto... Anyone else noticed this, or am I ten years behind everyone else with this?
Quote Post Goto Top

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
You don't like Pelagic II? I love that level! Easily one of my favourite campaign missions, it's just so claustrophobic and packed full of guards at your disposal. :)

I believe that's one of the last missions completely devoid of all aliens. That must be one of the reasons I like it so much.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Pelagic II has Elvis for the most part of it, so what do you mean by lack of aliens. B)

Yeah, the guard in the Pelagic II intro is always Shigsy! ^_^

Its interesting some of the heads that are in the game, and some obvious suits that were meant to go with them.

There is a Neo and Trinity face for starters.

Deleted User
Deleted User

D.J Cat
Apr 27 2008, 02:12 PM
There is a Neo and Trinity face for starters.

Really? I've never noticed them before.

D.J Cat
Apr 27 2008, 02:12 PM
Pelagic II has Elvis for the most part of it, so what do you mean by lack of aliens.

I think he means lack of alien enemies. Shooting aliens is alright but shooting people is more fun somehow.

dataDyne
Apr 27 2008, 03:27 AM
You don't like Pelagic II? I love that level! Easily one of my favourite campaign missions, it's just so claustrophobic and packed full of guards at your disposal. :)

I dunno. It feels a bit like a generic shooter; endless corridors which all look very similar. There are plenty of guards to keep me occupied though... and I much prefer Pelagic to the emptiness of Crash Site.
Quote Post Goto Top

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
I actually don't mind Crash Site. It's one of the campaign missions that almost never receives any love, but I've never had a problem with it. I quite like the emptiness of the level, it's a nice break from the usual "turn a corner, shoot a guard" gameplay.
-alxbly

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Crash Site was okay but it was a waste of potential. They made this huge landscape but there just aren't enough interesting things to do in the level. Plus, it would have made an awesome multiplayer level. In fact, so would Pelagic II. I've always found it weird how none of Perfect Dark's solo levels were available in multi, especially when Goldeneye had so many.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Just entered the Fire Temple on Ocarina of Time. This game is still the bomb. B)

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm playing Doom 64 and so far I'm up to level 16. Doom was one of my first N64 games so it's a bit special to me. That's not to say that it's a perfect game though, because it's not. I've talked about Doom 64 in the past and slagged it off for having 2D enemies but, to be fair, once you get used to them you stop noticing how crap they look sometimes.

This version of Doom is unique in that it's never been ligitimately ported to any other platform (to my knowledge). The levels are actually quite good and would probably be more at home on the PC due to their size. That's one other frustration with Doom 64; the levels are quite big but there's no way to save the game in the middle of a level, nor are there any level checkpoints. So, if you spend quite a while working through a later level and get killed near the end... that's it, straight back to the start of that level. It's not a huge problem, as you just work your way through the level again, but it seems silly there's no save function similar to the PC versions. Perhaps that kind of save was simply too big for a controller pak?

Doom 64 is worth playing, especially if you've not played it before. It's in this game that you can see how the progression from original Doom creatures to Doom 3 creatures started, as this was the first Doom game in which the enemies were redesigned. And the levels still hold up well and have a great spooky soundtrack to accompany them.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
May 4 2008, 07:59 PM
it seems silly there's no save function similar to the PC versions. Perhaps that kind of save was simply too big for a controller pak?

I think it was possible but not ideal. Hexen allowed you to save anywhere but it used 90 pages, meaning you could only ever save one game. Doom 64 is a password game, and even if you save to a memory card you're still just saving the password: you'll notice that your health and ammo are rounded to a certain number. Perhaps some sort of temporary save could have been implemented?

When you get to the level Breakdown (Level 20?), be sure to look for the SUPER SECRET! I never could find any of the switches, but maybe you can...

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mop_it_up
May 6 2008, 05:25 AM
When you get to the level Breakdown (Level 20?), be sure to look for the SUPER SECRET! I never could find any of the switches, but maybe you can...

Yeah man, I'm pretty close so when I do get to level 20 I'll have a good look around. I suspect this may be a hoax though... :(
Quote Post Goto Top

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
I decided to play a little Perfect Dark today, which eventually progressed into a 3 hour session of the game (time that should have been spent on a very important essay...). I finally completed Maian SOS on Perfect Agent after working out an almost flawless strategy. :)

Now I just have to complete WAR! on Perfect Agent.
-alxbly

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I'm up to Gerudo's Fortress on OoT right now. Farthest I've ever been on this game. :-8

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
I played some Star Wars: Rogue Squadron today. I had forgotten how hard the last few levels were. They are tough... really tough! :-8

Great game overall, though.
Posted Image

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
I've recently played through and 2 nights ago completely Shadowgate 64. A really underrated game. There's no violence yet no kiddie themes, and it's still really gripping. Who would've thought this possible? <_<

I've also gotten more than halfway through Castlevania. I've beaten it before but accidently saved after I beat it rather than just before Dracula (I like to go back and play the last boss, so I can watch the ending repeatedly). Carrying the Magical Nitro gets me every time (so freakin' hard).

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Shiren Wonders
May 8 2008, 06:21 AM
I've recently played through and 2 nights ago completely Shadowgate 64. A really underrated game. There's no violence yet no kiddie themes, and it's still really gripping. Who would've thought this possible? <_<

Is it much like Shadowgate on the NES i.e. [USE] [INSERT ITEM] leads to "You have died!" I must have died well over 100 times before completing that game.

Quote:

Carrying the Magical Nitro gets me every time (so freakin' hard).

I had nearly blocked out all memory of that. >_<

Six Barrel Shotgun
dataDyne
Apr 26 2008, 08:27 PM
You don't like Pelagic II? I love that level!

Hope I will as well, since I just got to that level : )

Crash Site - Confrontation was not my favourite mission so far to say the least, but I liked the end scene. My Scandinavian freak :blink: B)

xconspirisist
Member Avatar
Established Member
I have finally started to play Turok 2, never even completed the first level without cheats, now I think I know why. The game is HUGEEE! The save points are far apart, but still,looking forward to progressing a little more :)

Perfect Dark arrives in a few days!!!
http://www.xconspirisist.co.uk | http://www.technowax.net

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: