Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (39,574 Views)
italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
I beaten Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000.
The game is ok, clean visuals, but barren in the outside tracks. The podium section is one of the few well done on the console, probably the unique with the riders with seamless textures, well animated and not low polys (Wave Race 64 comes in mind).
Frame rate has some problems but it doesn't affect the gameplay luckily.
Overall Supercross 2000 visuals are better, not to mention Excitebike 64 ones.
The is a fair amount of options and modalities but nothing really deep as far as I saw.
The game is more immediate and easy to get into than Supercross 2000. But I didn't played both games on the hardest difficulty, so I don't know what's the hardest or more rewarding.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by italia64, Feb 24 2017, 02:10 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LosTickaToeRest
Member Avatar
Shellshocker18
Feb 17 2017, 08:31 PM

I beat Earthworm Jim 3-D just now. I don't think it's as terrible as people say but it still has generic bad game sydrome. It's okay but it's so bland and boring that it honestly feels worse than games like Starshot which are also full of problems but at least feel like unique anomalies. This is one of those games that requires you to beat it 100% to see the ending which I never like in 3D platformers, and the boss fights are some of the least fun ever all because of the pacing and controls of them being so unintuitive. The normal stages aren't much better with a camera that gets caught on walls and rotate so slow that aiming at targets is annoying. I'm also not a fan of the "try to be as wacky as possible" sense of humor. Probably the only parts of this game that I liked was a scene that reminded me of the original Resident Evil and that one of the skyboxes looks like an old Earthworm Jim level. That and the final boss is your transsexual self.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

I think this game could have been better if the shooting was more Jet force Gemini-esque where you could carry all your weapons with you and they had vastly different properties and uses instead of here where each level has one special weapon and they are all basically the same. Either that or the game could have just stayed 2d. The worst part of the game is just how empty the levels are and how slow you move with no way to control your own pace.
Agree on all this. Huge fan of the original games and while I don't think 3D is terrible, it's such a huge letdown in the gameplay, design, and humor departments. I wish they'd kept it 2D and just built on the first/second games' styles. It's the equivalent of taking a fully-completed ship in a bottle, saying you think it could be improved with some modifications, then hurling it against a wall. They also wasted their license to the awesome cartoon that started around the time of the second game. Getting the voice actors and character designs from the show was nice but following that a bit more would have improved the game too. The whole thing got pushed out the door unfinished and I just wish the developers had let someone more competent take charge of it.
Posted Image

http://www.last.fm/user/DToxico

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
LosTickaToeRest
Feb 24 2017, 08:51 AM
Agree on all this. Huge fan of the original games and while I don't think 3D is terrible, it's such a huge letdown in the gameplay, design, and humor departments. I wish they'd kept it 2D and just built on the first/second games' styles. It's the equivalent of taking a fully-completed ship in a bottle, saying you think it could be improved with some modifications, then hurling it against a wall. They also wasted their license to the awesome cartoon that started around the time of the second game. Getting the voice actors and character designs from the show was nice but following that a bit more would have improved the game too. The whole thing got pushed out the door unfinished and I just wish the developers had let someone more competent take charge of it.
I didn't know Earthworm Jim had a show. I think the voice actor for Jim was pretty good in the game, unfortunately the dialogue itself was generic and sparse. I agree that a 2d game maybe with the 2d pre-rendered characters like Mischief Makers with 3D backrounds and bosses would have probably fared better, although I know they had to develop a PC version too so that may have been difficult. Jim was popular so it sucks for the fans that this game was so disappointing it ended the series.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

LosTickaToeRest
Member Avatar
Having the show's voice actor, Dan Castellaneta, play him in the game was a big selling point at the time, at least in part because he's also Homer Simpson. He's really great in the show but yeah, they didn't give him or any of the villains much of anything interesting to say.

Highly recommend the show btw if you like the humor of the first few games. Easily the best video game-based cartoon out there in my opinion. That's another issue the game's production had; it uses stuff from the show and was meant to come out around the same time, but because the game fell into its development hell of jumping to different devs and getting revised and rebuilt from the ground up constantly, the show had been dead and gone for years by the time this game came out - and it's still unfinished.

Anyhoo, on some No Mercy now. I liked Wrestlemania 2000 but this is better in pretty much every way so far. Love the branching stories with the ridiculous cutscenes full of that over-the-top Attitude Era dialogue.

"What you think? I wipe a monkey's :donkey: with what you think!"
Edited by LosTickaToeRest, Feb 24 2017, 02:16 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Don't be mad but I've never played any of other Earthworm Jim games. They do seem much better for their time than Earthworm Jim 3D but they just aren't my style. It's cool that Dan Castellaneta voiced him though. I guess that's why I heard he voiced someone in ClayFighter 63 1/3.

I have played and beaten many games since my last post, although a lot of them are games I've already beaten in the past. I didn't want to clog the thread up so now here are some of the highlights for me.

First I beat Body Harvest 100% by getting all the alien artifacts. They don't do anything, they just unlock the ability to play the bosses whenever you want. 51 people died this playthrough. On my first playthrough only 19 people died because I kept restarting in fear that I screwed up bad.
Posted Image

Next were both Ready 2 Rumble games. The n64 version of the original is pretty good but Round 2 definatly runs slower. It has better unlockable characters but the slight performance downgrade is super annoying. I'd stick with the ps2 or Dreamcast version but they are still both fun games on n64. A bit button mashey but I probably just suck.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

Gex 3 Deep Cover Gecko. It is far better aesthetically and level design wise to Gex 64. That isn't much of a compliment because the game is kinda mediocre at best. The game does get points for having a beginner mode which lets you not have to collect every coin fly in the level to get a remote which is very nice because the levels aren't fun enough for me to go hunting for things I missed. The game does have a few fmvs too which is neat for a port like this.
Posted Image

Rampage 2 Universal Tour. As a life long fan of Rampage this game is awesome. Many more backrounds than World Tour so cities actually look close to how they should and they are nicer to look at. It has better music and less annoying sound effects too so the repetitiveness doesn't set in as fast. It is a harder game where you have to pay attention to your lives but it has less small annoyances like the flamethrower guys and signs from Universal Tour. I will also point out that the final boss is a piece of wall from the hospital in Silent Hill 3, for anyone who has played that.
Posted Image

Finally I did beat Superman 64. Its way longer than I expected. There are so many ring sections and the action levels can be very slow on your first playthrough. It's hard but once you know how to deal with the games bs it's actually not very hard at all. I like how you can fly indoors and fly into enemies to kill them. That would be cool if the game was any good. I find it odd people think the flying parts are hard. They are extremely easy. They just need to learn to be one with the analog stick. They were certainly a relief after the normal stages.
Posted Image
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 28 2017, 07:49 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Recently I played several N64 games.
I beaten FIFA 98, World Cup 98 and F-1 World Grand Prix. All games I beaten multiple times yet.

I also completed level 4 in Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, hope to have time to beat it within this week.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Retrogate thread got me thinking about F-Zero X Climax so that's mostly what I'm playing when I'm in the mood for some high-speed racing action. :n64:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
F-Zero X Climax is awesome! I've got it on my everdrive as well as the F-Zero expansion pak so I've got many new F-Zero tracks to play on. One of these days I'm gonna sit down for a week and take on master difficulty in the main game. But just playing a cup every now and then is a fun way to kill a few minutes and get your blood pumping.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Today I beaten Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, exactly 20 years after its release (March 4 1997).
Very good game, considering the release time I would say a masterpiece, but it has aged quickly after Goldeneye 007 and several very good PC FPS releases in 1997-1998.

The weaponry are amazing, satisfy to watch and to use, and you don't take them for granted as ammos are distributed parsimoniously.
The adventure aspect make the game something more than a simple Doom/Quake with better graphics. In fact exploration is very important and there are many secrets, but the game is linear enough not to be confusing. You can jump and dive, enemies are fun to fight and the overall atmospheres are good recreated.
The fog is too much, even small areas sometimes look enormous because that.

I'm happy for beaten it, it was one of the most famous N64 games I never beaten (probably the most famous).
I had it back in days but I never get into (just played several levels for fun with all the cheats activated).

Another great game for the console.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
A very nice completion. It may have aged fast but it put the n64 on the map for a lot of people. It was 1 of the 3 n64 games my parents had along with Mario 64 and Goldeneye but they wouldn't let me play Turok or Goldeneye. I've yet to play through any Turok games but I figure I will have to one of these days.

I finally finished the main game Bomberman Hero after almost a week. It took me much longer than I expected and is the first Bomberman game I've ever completed even though it isn't like typical Bomberman. It's okay but it isn't very unique. There is nothing that grabs me about the game besides the ambient techno soundtrack. It isn't like Chameleon Twist where there is a unique mechanic and the games really short. This game drags on especially if you are trying to achieve the target scores

I love this visual of the princess basically sticking her tongue in an electric outlet.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
CyberTiger is beaten. I have now beaten every n64 golf game in the span of 2 months, except Mario Golf which is the only one anyone cares about and most likely the best one

Posted ImagePosted Image
It's hard to tell but I'm up around 30 strokes on the guy in second. The power ups combined with being able to control the ball in the air makes this game an absolute cakewalk compared to the other Nintendo 64 Golf games, though the physics aren't realistic at all so they take a bit to get used to. To beat the game you must win a 72 hole tournament. It honestly only takes like 2 or 3 hours especially once you realize that the AI is way worse than you

Posted Image
72 holes sounds like a lot but PGA European tour is literally like 100 times longer than this game so this was not bad at all. That and it's just the same 18 hole course 4 times in a row. I'm not sure if this game has only 18 holes or if the other modes have more holes, they probably do but I'm not in the mood to find out. I know that Bluedogrulez quite likes this one, and it's really not bad, but I'm at the point that no matter how good Mario Golf is I will probably get bored of it very quickly since all these Golf games are basically the same.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Mar 5 2017, 02:23 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Lately I played and beaten some N64 games: FIFA 64, ISS 64, Mia Hamm Soccer 64, F1 Pole Position 64.

What are you playing guys?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Unlocked all the cars and beaten all the records in Destruction Derby 64.
Nice game.
https://youtu.be/L8cCjBiQr8Y
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
In the last week i/we played mario tennis, mario party, yoshi's story..... and banjo kazooie.

My girlfriend brought over her super nintendo so we played some donkey kong country too :) she too is "bad" at video games. We had some exciting times haha
Edited by MymeeN64, Mar 18 2017, 08:52 AM.
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
You know me Italia. I've been playing so many games that I haven't been posting them on this forum much because I would be posting a ridiculous amount. I really shouldn't care but that's why I stopped posting in the games beaten in 2017 thread as well. I've stopped counting I've played so much :w00t:

Since my last post I've beaten Cornell's campaign in Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, Shadowman, Armorines, all cups in Micro Machines 64 Turbo (one of the hardest games on the system), played some Deadly Arts or G.A.S.P, and Knife Edge Nose Gunner. As I said, lots of stuff, including some stuff I've played in the past like Mario Party and Shadowgate. Lots of good knowledge being accumulated here ;)

Glad to hear you're having fun Mymee. I've actually only played the GameCube Mario Tennis but I have faith that the n64 Mario sport games are good. In fact I haven't played any n64 tennis games. That will change soon I'm sure
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

N64Lain
Member Avatar
I've been playing South Park recently. I'll admit it's one of those games I can have a real fun time with and not take seriously. lol

LosTickaToeRest
Member Avatar
Been playing NFL Blitz. I know practically nothing about football and have very little interest in sports games but the simplified arcade gameplay here is really addicting. Started Perfect Dark too (only ever played the 360 remake that a lot of people seem to dislike) but my 3rd-party memory card decided to corrupt and refuse to create files for 'new' games (only load old ones) even though it isn't full, so I have to wait to get my new 'real' memory pak in the mail before I start for real.
Posted Image

Shy Guy
Member Avatar
Ocarina of Time. Truly a game to savor. This is technically only my second playthrough, but it's really amazing the stuff one forgets.... The puzzles, items, dungeons.... Galloping across Hyrule Field, aiming with the Fairy Bow, smashing things with the Megaton Hammer...it all feels fresh and clean (especially enhanced with the Rumble Pak).

And I'm done with the Water Temple. :dance:

Quote:

Since my last post I've beaten Cornell's campaign in Castlevania Legacy of Darkness, Shadowman, Armorines, all cups in Micro Machines 64 Turbo (one of the hardest games on the system), played some Deadly Arts or G.A.S.P, and Knife Edge Nose Gunner.

Sounds like you've been playing lots of N64, Shellshocker! :yeah:

Quote:

Started Perfect Dark too (only ever played the 360 remake that a lot of people seem to dislike) but my 3rd-party memory card decided to corrupt and refuse to create files for 'new' games (only load old ones) even though it isn't full, so I have to wait to get my new 'real' memory pak in the mail before I start for real.

Yuck. I will have to remember to avoid 3rd party memory cards.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I am a legend

Posted Image
I AM A F***ING LEGEND
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Shellshocker18
Mar 25 2017, 09:22 PM
I am a legend

Posted Image
I AM A F***ING LEGEND
Congrats man!
Tell us about the experience and give us some tips :P
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'm imagining that very few people on this board have ever played enough Fighter's Destiny to want to attempt this challenge but anyone who ever has done it can tell you how hard it is. I did this same challenge for Fighter's Destiny 1 and it took me a week straight of doing nothing but playing, eating, and sleeping. Here it only took 4 days which is still crazy. It can feel very unfair, and if I had designed the game I would have given the player 7 stars for the 100 rounds, but you just have to practice until you understand the AI, which moves can be avoided and which moves give you an opening to attack, and which attacks are safe at what times. It really just takes patience and diligence.

So the deal is you have to win at least 100 rounds without dropping a single point to any opponents to unlock a character. I picked D-Dog because he has a stomp kick that can continually stomp opponents on the edge if they try to get up, which is helpful since the AI does not know how to shimmy, and a 3 hit combo that does 40% damage and leaves the opponent in a reel (temporary stun), though by the timed D-dog stands up the opponent has a small window to attack and it doesn't work if you are too close . Fighter Destiny 2 has the Fighter's Arena which buffs your stats for recovering, damage, and health, but these stats are minuscule and shouldn't be relied on. It is best to unlock all a characters moves before attempting this since the combo extending moves are extremely helpful for dealing more damage safely

Certain characters like Kate, Master, Adriana, Abdul, and Ninja have a 1 hit kill counter which they can throw out at any time including as soon as the fight starts, and if you are attacking during this time they will kill you. Low kicks are best since they can't be countered . Thankfully D-Dog has a fast crouching kick where he ducks and it has lots of range. It's best not to do the same move over and over if the enemy starts dodging it. Sometimes they will avoid every move you throw at them. You have to switch moves up to keep the AI from predicting you or else they will move in and start hitting you. Find 4 or 5 useful attacks and use them appropriately. But if spamming one attack is working don't feel pressured to do a mix up. Cheap it out because the AI can and will try to cheap you out. Pausing and unpausing the game is also helpful during high pressure situations so you have time to react.

As you play the arenas become smaller so any screw ups can lead to the opponent knocking you into an awkward position which could lead to you falling out of the ring. If you grab an opponent they will escape the throw and end up behind you. You can use this to get back closer to the center of the ring and get them close to the edge, though they will get a free hit in since you have lag after failing a throw. Also you'll have to learn every characters attack and when to block high and low. Not getting hit is imperative since even a single hit from any character can lead to being pushed towards the edge or getting all your health drained. Remember tapping A and B in Piyori regains your health faster and be prepared to get grabbed if they are dangling on the edge and you get too close. Throws can come out of nowhere and you have to always be prepared to counter.

Really if anyone ever needs tips they can ask me. The only real tip is just to keep trying. You will fail a lot and you will want to smash your cartridge when you fail after 45 minutes of play, 50 times in a row. In the original Fighter's Destiny I failed on stage 100 once. Fighter's Destiny has a gameshark code for those who want Joker but Fighter Destiny 2 does not have one for unlocking Cherry that I could find. Unlocking these characters legit is one of the absolute highest achievements for any game on this console in my opinion.

You got all that?
Edited by Shellshocker18, Mar 27 2017, 02:34 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I was just checking the credits for PGA European Tour and found it funny that they snuck in a Simpsons reference.

Posted Image

Simpsons refrences have been going on a long time, and it seems they never slowed down. I'm fine with this
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

LosTickaToeRest
Member Avatar
Any other references anyone else can think of on the N64? The only one off the top of my head is the little "d'oh!" in Blast Corps.
Posted Image

DABOMBEVERYPLAY
Member Avatar
I've finally continued my quest for 120 Stars in Super Mario 64, I've gotten up to 62, but STILL can't get that :cussfit:ed 8 Red Coin Star in Bowser in the Dark World. Got the Bowser in the Fire Sea one though. That was always the easiest of the three Bowser levels.

The 100-Coin Star in Hazy Maze Cave is a :cussfit:, by far the worst star of the best course. Got a few in Lethal Lava Land and Shifting Sand Land, at least.
Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Favorite Level: Hazy Maze Cave

Least Favorite Level: Dire, Dire Docks

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
This morning, before to go to work, I played ten minutes and I managed to beat Super Combo Challenge 5. Considered one of the most difficult tasks on the console.
Totally it required me almost 4 hours of attempting for this track only.
Unluckily I wasn't recording, so I have to beat it again. But next time should be much easier considering how fast I been this morning.

Now I have to play Super Combo Gold Challenge, a very easy one compared to this, and Wipeout 64 will be 100% beaten.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Well I have yet to beat an N64 game this year and that just won't do, so I'm going to try to kick off my 2017 N64 completion list with Mischief Makers!

Posted Image

I don't have any real experiences with games developed by Treasure but I've heard many great things about them including how unconventional their games can get. Judging by the first few levels I've completed in Mischief Makers, they weren't foolin'! I still haven't quite mastered the game's controls yet but I'm certainly getting there as I get through level after level. So far, things are looking good. :yeah:
Edited by EnvyFox, Apr 15 2017, 12:34 PM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Glad to see you are enjoying Mischief Makers! Play Treasures other games, they're all masterful! I consider this to be the N64's premiere 2d game because it does a few things that were never possible in Super Nintendo games and its a great game as well when you get into it. Humblebragging again but I still consider getting all S ranks in Mischief Makers to be my greatest Nintendo 64 achievement.

The controls and depth of the movement are insanely deep once you master them. Thing is though that you can go slow and steady and complete the game just fine which I think is why some people found the game boring. I remember people back in the day calling it tough as nails, which I really didn't get. Simply completing the game was quite easy at least for me. The hard part is the optional stuff where you have to master the controls and realize how expertly crafted the levels are for speed play. Look up a speedrun if you want to see how crazy it gets. I hope you enjoy the rest of it. It has fewer levels than most people anticipate unfortunately.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
i was capturing some N64 screenshots and

every freaking time

edit: Fire Electric Pen for the world video game hall of fame. cast your votes and let our voices be heard
Edited by Shellshocker18, May 25 2017, 07:14 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DABOMBEVERYPLAY
Member Avatar
Got up to 93 Stars now, but it's gotten tougher because something's wrong with my Control Stick and it's making Mario charge recklessly in one direction and move veeeeery slowly in the other even when i'm pushing the stick the whole way. Sometimes he just fidgets around like a caffeine addict.

Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Favorite Level: Hazy Maze Cave

Least Favorite Level: Dire, Dire Docks

NzBoi
Member Avatar
I recently picked up Blast Corps..

there is something so satisfying about smashing down buildings and generally causing destruction..

great concept for a game and it had aged surprisingly well

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply