Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (37,002 Views)
Deleted User
Deleted User

Some Pilotwings perhaps, Mr Goss?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Okay, it's now April 5th in the UK so I've started playing my N64. I'm gonna play a few N64 games today so I won't be spending all that much time on a single game. I wondered which one I should start with and, of course, it has to be the game which defines the console. The game that launched a thousand spinoffs. The best selling game for the N64. Yeah, Super Mario 64. :D

I started a new file a few months ago and I haven't got very far (only twenty stars in four months) so I decided to see play the next star in Cool, Cool Mountain. I'm instantly drawn back in. Super Mario 64 was and is so darned amazing. It may look a little basic now but it still feels new and Mario moves so well... even on ice and snow. And the music is great. This level has a really catchy tune (Mrs Alxbly started humming it almost instantly as she walked past) although my favorite music is still the Jolly Roger Bay song. It's beautiful. ;_;

The star I was after was 8 red coins. I found them all but couldn't remember how you got to the star. Eventually I remembered that you just do a long jump from the platform opposite. So, mission accomplished and time to move on to another N64 game.

Goldeneye's my next choice. That's the game that kept me interested in the N64 long after Super Mario 64 had been finished. Actually, Goldeneye kept interested long after I'd finished it and my other N64 games. I played it endlessly; all the multiplayer levels and checking out the secrets with my Action Replay. It felt like there were new things to do almost every month, right up until Perfect Dark came out.

Anyway, i decided to play a level I haven't played in years. Normally when I play Goldeneye I pick one of my favorite levels; Facility, Water Caverns and Aztec get played regulary. Today I choose a level I wasn't all that keen on; the Statue Park. My first impression is that Goldeneye is slow. I wonder if my controller is worn but then remember that it was working perfectly for Super Mario 64. So I try a bit of strafe-running. It still feels slow. I guess this is just because I'm playing First person Shooter games where running is more obvious; Call of Duty 4 for example. It's probably not that much quicker but running in Goldeneye somehow doesn't feel like running anymore.

Anyway, I quickly get over this and get into the level. I'm playing on Agent so the bad guys can't hit me for crap. Was Agent always this easy? Perhaps. I shoot a lot of them (do they respawn here? It seems like they do...) and move forward, getting lost occasionally. I find Valentin and laugh at his funny eyes. I move on and notice there's an image of a man on a stone. I can't remember that from before... surely I would have noticed it?

Posted Image

Onwards to the statue and I meet up with Alec. Those shotgun guns DO actually hurt you and their aim is much better than the others. Okay, three minutes until the helicopter blows up so I need to rescue Natalya. Dammit, can I remeber the way back? Well, yes I can. I make it with over a minute to spare even though I stopped to shoot some bad guys. Save Natalya, get the flight recorder and back over to the gates. Natalya's been captured! *pretend shock*

I wait for the gates to open. They don't. Do I need to open them? Yes, I do. Oops. Ah well, level over. It'll no doubt be another few years before I play it again...
^_^
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

dagoss
Apr 5 2008, 05:22 PM
Well today, I went to play Sin & Punishment, and after about 10 seconds, the control stick stopped responding.  I took it apart several times, and all the gears are in their proper places.  Perhaps I shorted something?  Perhaps the lubricant I used damaged the controller?  Either way, it was my favorite charcoal controller. :(

What lubricant did you use? To me it sounds like the little blue connector isn't reconnected properly. I mean this bit:

Posted Image

Open it up again and check. Don't worry, I'm sure that whatever is wrong is fixable. :)

*Sigh* If only there was a contest where you could win a brand new controller... :P
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Firstly...

dagoss
Apr 5 2008, 05:45 PM
Perhaps oil (I bought the cheapest kind I could find :o) found its way into the places that sense the axis movement.

Get the controller opened up and wash the oil off with soapy water. You need a lubricant that's specifically made for plastics. Anything oil based is likely to react with the plastic and ruin your control stick.

dagoss
Apr 5 2008, 05:45 PM
You know how if you hold the control stick at an angle when you boot up the system, it doesn't calibrate properly? It is acting sort of like that, except less responsive.

Is it worse in one direction or is equally as bad in all directions. Are you sure the gearings are correctly asssembled? Also, check the spring. If this slips then the control stick won't self-centre and there's no force behind the movement meaning that it's greatly impaired. Make sure the plastic ring which sits on top of the spring has the inside lip facing towards the spring.

Here's a photo of how it should look, with the smaller plastic arc attached.

Posted Image
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

macN64
Apr 5 2008, 08:52 PM
This is the first I've seen of this topic, but luckily, I've already played some body harvest today.

Nice one. :) Body Harvest is on my play list for this evening. So are a lot of N64 games, though... :lol:
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Okay, two more N64 games played; Majora's Mask and Jet Force Gemini.

Confession time. Since rebuying Majoras Mask in June last year I'd only played it for about five minutes. So tonight I redone the whole first bit section; find the great fairy shard, return it to the great fairy fountain, blow a bubble at the balloon, find the kids who hide from you, get the code, go to the observatory, get the moons tear, buy the deku scrub plant thingy, confronted the skull kid for the first time, won back my Ocarina, turned back time, spoke to the Mask salesman, got reverted back to normal Link, got the Deku Scrub mask and explored Termina field. Phew.

Majoras Mask is pretty deep. I'd forgotten because it's been a while since I'd played it but this really is a great game. The symbolism throughout and the way the skull kid has been affected make for a compelling story and the dark undertone is never far away. The music is also good, very atmospheric... how can I forget these little details?

It also brought back memories. I remember the first time I completed Majoras Mask... it was New Years Eve 2000. I'd decided not to go out because my Gran was coming down. She got upset at New Year because she always thought about my Grandad who had died a few year before. It was their tradition to open the windows to "let in the New Year"... that's something I've never heard of from anyone else so maybe it's an old Scottish tradition. My gran died only a few years later and I never got the chance to ask her. :( Anyway, I finished the last boss about an hour before midnight. It was pretty cool but I remember the last boss being easy because I had the Fierce Deity Mask. >_<

And the other game I've just played is Jet Force Gemini. It's just as I remember it; huge levels, cool weapons and crap controls. I really don't like the controls for this game, they seem to make it harder to play when it's shouldn't be that hard. Having to press L for accurate aiming (and a crosshairs) worked well in Goldeneye but in this game it's rubbish. Why the **** not just have a target on screen?

Anyway I got used to the controls after playing for five or ten minutes but they still feel wrong. Most of the game is good; gorgeous visuals, nice platforming sections, plenty of enemies onscreen... but there's bad bits as well. Swapping characters is a slight pain (just as it is in Donkey Kong 64, only slightly less of a pain and, thankfully, less characters) and getting a message that says "Vela can't open this door" doesn't make much sense. Why not? Why is it that only Juno can open some doors? To stretch out the game, that's why.

My only other quibble is that some of the levels are too big. It's like the developers at Rare were saying "Look how freakin' big we can make this level look" but they forgot to put interesting stuff to do inside some of those levels. The end result is you go "wow, this is pretty big for a N64 game" but then you get annoyed because you spend five minutes running to the other side, kill some enemies and then you have run back for five minutes to get to the door that opened. Another cheap way of extending the game.

Speaking of big levels, the next N64 game I play is gonna be Banjo Tooie!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

dataDyne
Apr 6 2008, 12:59 AM
So I've begun the day with an old favourite - Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. I'd forgotten how great this game really is, as a matter of fact I'd place it above Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars. I started a new file and began zipping through Tatooine.

This is slightly off topic but have you bought a Gamecube yet? Because if you like Rogue Squadron then Rogue Leader will simply blow you away. You must buy it!!!
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Data, watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEg6ejU5HvI
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Dagoss, I think this is a good topic. With your permission I'd like to change the title to simply "Play an N64 game" so that we can leave it open and let people post about the N64 games that they're playing. Hopefully it'll catch on and people might dust off the N64 and actually play it!

:)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

dagoss
Apr 6 2008, 05:46 PM
It'll never work. We need gimmicks to make people play N64 games. Like fake holidays. Or rumors of newly discovered secrets that trick people into playing the game. Or the promise of sexual favors.

... that last one might make a good contest.

I'll take that as a yes! :D
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Today I played Super Mario 64, Goldeneye and Top Gear Rally 2. Didn't play much of SM64, I was really just using it to test out a new controller. Hadn't played the Frigate level of Goldeneye for a while so I played that. It's okay but it's not my favorite level.

I hadn't really played much of Top Gear Rally 2 before. It's really rather good. I think I pretty much ignored every N64 rally game after the terrible mess that was V-Rally 99 but this one is much better and much closer to Top Gear Rally than I thought it would be. Boss Studios didn't make it (I think they were making Stunt Racer 64 at the time) so Kemco took this on. The steering's default setting is too sensitive but it feels great once you've turned it down a little. The cars are pretty quick, the tracks are interesting and everything looks a lot better than Top Gear Rally.

It's definitely one of the better motorsport games on the N64. I wish I'd discovered it back in 2000... :-/
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

D.J Cat
Apr 13 2008, 11:55 PM
You know I never, ever got that feeling, even in Donkey Kong 64 as well.
Maybe I was naive, or too caught up in the atmosphere, or just having to much fun.
Who knows?

It's been a while since I played Donkey kong 64 but, from memory, it doesn't suffer from the same problem, despite it having huge levels. The main reason for this was that in DK64's levels there was usually always something to do or see. JFG wasn't the same in this respect. There are several outdoor levels that are absolutely huge but have nothing in the middle; all you do is run from one side to another. Play through the Cerulean planet to see what I mean.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Sapper
Apr 20 2008, 03:17 PM
I just won all firing range challenges in Perfect Dark.  :D

Nice one. I had completed them all on my first Perfect Dark cart but I've never got around to doing them in the cart I currently own. Have you done any of the combat simulator challenges yet? That's another thing I need to do again... and it wasn't so easy the first time! >_<
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

dagoss
Apr 26 2008, 11:43 PM
I can't imagine how much 3-2 will bend me over and ravish me...

That's not an image I want in my mind, Mr Goss. :-X

Anyway, I've been playing Perfect Dark. I never completed the game when I bought it again a few years ago. I'd got as far as Crash Site and then got bored. I love Perfect Dark but Crash Site is a crap level, probably the worst in the game. After a few tries I'm now on to Pelagic II... which isn't so great either. It's been years since I played through Perfect Dark and I remember very little about this level (it's pretty forgetable anyway).

But...

The guard that you see in the introduction cinematic at the start of the level looks a bit like Shigeru Miyamoto... Anyone else noticed this, or am I ten years behind everyone else with this?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

D.J Cat
Apr 27 2008, 02:12 PM
There is a Neo and Trinity face for starters.

Really? I've never noticed them before.

D.J Cat
Apr 27 2008, 02:12 PM
Pelagic II has Elvis for the most part of it, so what do you mean by lack of aliens.

I think he means lack of alien enemies. Shooting aliens is alright but shooting people is more fun somehow.

dataDyne
Apr 27 2008, 03:27 AM
You don't like Pelagic II? I love that level! Easily one of my favourite campaign missions, it's just so claustrophobic and packed full of guards at your disposal. :)

I dunno. It feels a bit like a generic shooter; endless corridors which all look very similar. There are plenty of guards to keep me occupied though... and I much prefer Pelagic to the emptiness of Crash Site.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

I'm playing Doom 64 and so far I'm up to level 16. Doom was one of my first N64 games so it's a bit special to me. That's not to say that it's a perfect game though, because it's not. I've talked about Doom 64 in the past and slagged it off for having 2D enemies but, to be fair, once you get used to them you stop noticing how crap they look sometimes.

This version of Doom is unique in that it's never been ligitimately ported to any other platform (to my knowledge). The levels are actually quite good and would probably be more at home on the PC due to their size. That's one other frustration with Doom 64; the levels are quite big but there's no way to save the game in the middle of a level, nor are there any level checkpoints. So, if you spend quite a while working through a later level and get killed near the end... that's it, straight back to the start of that level. It's not a huge problem, as you just work your way through the level again, but it seems silly there's no save function similar to the PC versions. Perhaps that kind of save was simply too big for a controller pak?

Doom 64 is worth playing, especially if you've not played it before. It's in this game that you can see how the progression from original Doom creatures to Doom 3 creatures started, as this was the first Doom game in which the enemies were redesigned. And the levels still hold up well and have a great spooky soundtrack to accompany them.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mop_it_up
May 6 2008, 05:25 AM
When you get to the level Breakdown (Level 20?), be sure to look for the SUPER SECRET! I never could find any of the switches, but maybe you can...

Yeah man, I'm pretty close so when I do get to level 20 I'll have a good look around. I suspect this may be a hoax though... :(
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Been playing Rayman 2. It seems alright. The humour is pretty cool and all the characters are weird. I like Globox's crying children, they made me laugh.

That last sentence must sound pretty cruel if you haven't played the game. >:-] ;)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Mop_it_up
May 26 2008, 05:49 AM
dataDyne
May 25 2008, 08:40 PM
I finally defeated Challenge 30

All by yourself? If so, that's really something! I had to play through the challenges with 3 friends because I wasn't skilled enough to beat them by myself. I never actually tried the challenges after I got more skilled... There's no way I could beat them now though, because I'm just not very good at the game anymore. Oh well, I can still admire my four golden stars for each challenge... ^_^

Practice is the key but you need a little luck for Challenge 30 as well. I done it the hard way (on my own) and I think I lucked out. I had more problems with challenge 29, if I remember rightly.
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

There's a few N64 collectors here in the same situation. I think I've properly played about half my N64 games but there's loads left that I still need to find time for. A lot of them have only been in my N64 for a few minutes after I bought them (just to check that they work). Maybe one day I'll have time to play them all!

Ridge Racer 64 is good fun. Some of the later races are really tough... did you finish the game? Goldeneye 007 is one of my favorite games ever! :)

Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

dagoss
Jul 27 2008, 02:28 PM
It may have a heatsink inside though.  If that were to become not flush with whatever it's attached to, then the system probably would overheat.  I've never actually opened a system, so I don't how it handles excess heat.  Alxbly will know!

It has a heatsink but it's unlikely that that is the problem.

Wolfvie: where is the console sitting when you're using it? It needs to be somewhere where none of the heating vents are blocked or obscured. Most overheating problems seem to be when people use an N64 on a carpet; this often blocks the vents underneath. Make sure it's on a smooth, flat surface.

Also, if the heatsink gets a lot of dust or hair inside it this might cause overheating. Use a vaccum on the consoles heating vents (on the top, both sides and underneath), that may be enough. If not then you may need to open it up (don't use a vaccum on it if you open it up though, use compressed air instead). You could also take the cover off the expansion bay to see if that makes a difference.

Let us know if any of this helps.

And welcome. :)
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Rapueda
Aug 16 2008, 04:01 PM
Started up a game of Ocarina of Time today. It's been waaaaay too long since I've played it. Wouldn't it have been awesome if you could ride a young Epona as young Link, like in Majora's Mask?

Yeah, that would have been cool. Did anyone ever find a gameshark code that allowed you to do that?
Quote Post Goto Top

Deleted User
Deleted User

Today I've been playing a few N64 racers:

Wipeout 64

This game has aged better than I remembered. The pop-up is noticable in places but the sheer speed and the fact that there's no room for error mean that you're usually thinking about other things. This game is tough, there's no doubt about about that. If you touch the walls of the track your craft comes to a halt, which makes it hugely frustrating to be in first place and then mess up a corner... the other racers just fly past you. But you know that it's your fault, so you try again.

World Driver Championship

Opened up the GT1 league again today. WDC is split into two sections; GT2 is where you start and the cars don't show the game off to it's full potential. It's only when you've completed GT2 that GT1 opens up and then you have access to the fastest cars in the game. But actually getting to GT1 takes a fair bit of time...

The GT2 finale is a race against your closest rival over 15 laps. Each lap takes around two minutes so this one race takes at least half an hour to complete. Luckily I managed to do it first time. I remember the track well from the first time I completed this game (before I sold my N64 and all it's games... doh!) which made things easier this time. Thankfully. I don't know if I could bring myslef to retry after losing a race that's 30 minutes long...

Ridge Racer 64.

Done some car attacks and opened up some nice new cars. On my original cart I'd opened up a green bike thingy which was pretty good but I've not got to it yet. I need more practice at controlling drift as I keep messing up on tight corners.
Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply