Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (36,916 Views)
Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I've never played Majora's Mask on an actual N64, I played it on the GameCube, so maybe I'll play that tomorrow. My copy has a 100% completed file on it, so now I can actually see the REAL ending.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Why do all of our topics always lead to some sort of sex-related thing? :rolleyes:

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I've just started playing Earthworm Jim 3D, and boy, is it one weird game! Jim is in a coma, I forget why, and he has to go through his mind and collect his lost marbles. Some of the tasks you have to do are pretty random, such as searching for a character's lost underwear, or destroy a grenade-egg laying chicken (does this remind anyone of Banjo-Tooie?).

Overall, the game plays pretty well; the framerate is steady, and the control is tight. The graphics are pretty good too, with relatively smooth textures and decent polygon counts, although the animation, especially for certain enemies, is pretty stiff and at times seems like there are some frames missing. The music and sound effects are nothing memorable; seriously, I don't remember them.

As I expected though, the camera is terrible! Did they put any effort into programming it? It never automatically moves where you want it to go, so you have to fiddle with the camera buttons to keep it behind Jim. You also can't move into the camera, so if you've just come through a door and want to go back through, you'll have to move the camera out of the way first. The camera hasn't presented too much of a problem yet; enemies so far have been pretty weak, and most of them drop energy-replenishing items. Still, if the game gets more difficult then the camera could be a problem.

I haven't played enough for a final verdict, but... so far so good. :)

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Sapper
Apr 21 2008, 06:42 AM
Btw a question to all: Which firing range challenge do you think was the hardest/most frustrating?

It's been a long while since I've completed them but for some reason the Reaper came instantly to mind. That thing is just so darned inaccurate that even the bronze is a pain to get.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Crash Site was okay but it was a waste of potential. They made this huge landscape but there just aren't enough interesting things to do in the level. Plus, it would have made an awesome multiplayer level. In fact, so would Pelagic II. I've always found it weird how none of Perfect Dark's solo levels were available in multi, especially when Goldeneye had so many.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
May 4 2008, 07:59 PM
it seems silly there's no save function similar to the PC versions. Perhaps that kind of save was simply too big for a controller pak?

I think it was possible but not ideal. Hexen allowed you to save anywhere but it used 90 pages, meaning you could only ever save one game. Doom 64 is a password game, and even if you save to a memory card you're still just saving the password: you'll notice that your health and ammo are rounded to a certain number. Perhaps some sort of temporary save could have been implemented?

When you get to the level Breakdown (Level 20?), be sure to look for the SUPER SECRET! I never could find any of the switches, but maybe you can...

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
dataDyne
May 25 2008, 08:40 PM
I finally defeated Challenge 30

All by yourself? If so, that's really something! I had to play through the challenges with 3 friends because I wasn't skilled enough to beat them by myself. I never actually tried the challenges after I got more skilled... There's no way I could beat them now though, because I'm just not very good at the game anymore. Oh well, I can still admire my four golden stars for each challenge... ^_^

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Recently I got the urge to play Mario Tennis for some reason, which I haven't touched in a while. The game's better as a multiplayer game but since nobody plays N64 games these days I've just continued my journey for 100% completion. There were only a few more tournament trophies to collect and a bit more ring shot matches, so after all of these years, I've finally collected every trophy and ring shot flag for every character!

So what do you get? Well, ring shot has no rewards, except maybe bragging rights, but collecting every trophy unlocks the MAX difficulty setting. And boy, they aren't kidding! You might as well be playing against a wall, because you aren't going to get the ball past them.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
xXxCreamSodaxXx
Jul 13 2008, 06:39 PM
I've never played the DC port, but I would guess it's pretty close(with sharper graphics/sound of course).

In addition to that, you can also play the race mode with 3-4 players, and there are a few exclusive cheats as well. Strangely, some of the music in the game is exclusive to each version; Track 6's music is different in the N64 version, and the title screen music is changed as well. I think there are a few more too but nothing comes to mind.

Anyways, I haven't played an N64 game in... 2 MONTHS! :o I'm ashamed to even be poasting here...

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Wrath Oskvro
Sep 16 2008, 10:13 PM
Which Tony Hawk game is the best on the N64?

Number 2 definitely. I don't know how they screwed up the physics for the first Tony Hawk, but they sure did. They are really... I don't know, I guess "floaty" might be the right word? It just seems a lot more difficult to land without crashing, though grinding actually seems easier. Tony Hawk 2 has better physics to the point where it's playable, but something is still off. Since you can now use the A and B buttons to jump and kickflip respectively, the controls are better too. I haven't spent much time with 3 but it seemed to be somewhere in the middle of the first two as far as playability is concerned.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
dataDyne
Nov 16 2008, 04:18 AM
Despite the age of the game, it is still known to all gamers that choosing Oddjob is one of the cheapest moves in gaming.
Maybe... if you're playing n00bs who use auto-aim. I don't see what's so special about Oddjob; since he's so short his head becomes perfectly lined up with a normal-sized character's weapon, making head shots rather easy. You'd never get away with using Oddjob if I were around!

This is also why Jaws is better than you might think. He may be a huge target, but you can't score a head shot against him unless you take the time to aim upward!

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
MarioLuigi25
Jan 21 2009, 03:20 PM
And that's only ONE of my favorite games for the N64. I have many more, but it would probably take like 2 hours to name them all. :n64:
I know what you mean there, there are too many great games for the Nintendo 64 that by the time I finished writing about all of them I'd likely end up with a 50,000-word MS Word document. Not to mention my hands would be numb to the point where you could take a sledge hammer to them and I wouldn't feel a thing.

Mario Tennis isn't one of my top favourites but it has its special place in my collection. It's the first game to feature Birdo and Daisy as playable characters and it introduced Waluigi, so it was the start of many a great thing for the Marioverse.

alxbly

I really should give Mario Tennis another go... I've not played it for years.

But wait, I thought you wanted to sell it? :eh:
Hm, you know, playing a game before you sell it might not be such a bad idea. Before I sold Boom Blox for Wii, I made sure I played it until I was sick of it, to ensure I wouldn't regret it. Not once have I missed the game. Perhaps you should complete Mario Tennis 100% before you rid yourself of it. :yeah:

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I never completed Donkey Kong 64 either, I don't remember how far I got before tiring of it. Same reason as dataDyne really, an excellent game ruined by all of the junk you have to collect.

Maybe I should give it another go... though I don't think I could pick up where I left off since I don't remember anything. I'd probably have to start over which is what has kept me from trying it again.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Jun 8 2009, 11:07 AM
I've been promising to finish a :n64: game ever since I joined N64 Forever... but I don't think I've actually finished any since 2001. :o >_<
Sometimes I just can't believe you man. You're not worthy! <_<

Quote:

I finished DK64 back in '03 101%, but i didn't collect all colored bananas.
You can get 101% without actually collecting everything? Strange...

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Placeholder post for when I play a Nintendo 64 game and pretend I played it at this time.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
To be fair, I haven't been playing much of anything recently, Nintendo 64 or otherwise. So it isn't like this is the only system I'm neglecting.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Eh, at least the Nintendo 64 is still my favourite system unlike a certain someone I know. ^_^

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I think you'll sooner get a new hip than actually be able to pull off acting hip.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Aug 21 2009, 04:08 PM
I just played Re-Volt for the first time. It seems okay, although the handling is twitchy... as it would be with a RC car. Have you played that game, Mop_it_up?
Just a little bit, but it was some time ago. I remember thinking it was what Micro Machines 64 should have been like. The physics seemed awfully realistic though, it felt more like driving a real car than controlling an RC car. For some reason I also remember thinking that the A.I. was really cheap, though I can't recall why. The track editor is pretty in-depth, there is a lot which can be done with it. Games like this are hindered by the smallish memory cards though; you'd pretty much need a memory card dedicated to this game in order to create more than a couple of tracks.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I know what you mean, loading screens are really starting to get on my nerves. I really hope Nintendo goes with cartridges for their next system as their big thing that surprises everyone.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
danny_galaga
Mar 27 2010, 06:47 AM
Lego Racers X_D
Does that reaction mean it isn't any good?

Quote:

Lately I have began playing Kirby 64 again. Today has been a Kirby day. Great platformer.
Kirby 64 is pretty good, combining powers is fun. I like to see if I can get through a stage using only a single power.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I finally got all 90 Jiggies in Banjo-Tooie.

CLUCK YOU, CANARY MARY!

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I finally beat Donkey Kong 64 the other week after all these years. Good game, but I don't think I'm going to go back for the 100%, or whatever goofy number it is in this game. That's just a little too insane.

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply