Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (39,567 Views)
dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
We don't always have time for the N64, but on this Nintendo 64 DayTM, let's make time to play an N64 game for at least 30 minutes! You'll be doing your part for N64dom!

So tomorrow, stalk random citizens in Clock Town, beat your high score for Corneria, see how many power stars you can find in an hour, talk to Pikachu, or try to figure out what the hell is happening in Sin & Punishment. Then come back here and tell me what you played and what you did when you played it! Maybe we'll all play something different.

The N64 has the best gold to crap ratio of any system ever made, bar none -- so let's celebrate its awesomeness by, you know, playing with it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
What the -- ? I don't remember ever seeing that face on the stone before. This is news to me!

I started N64 Day off on the wrong foot. I opened a controller yesterday for cleaning and lubrication. After reassembling it, I played through Corneria and it worked fine. Well today, I went to play Sin & Punishment, and after about 10 seconds, the control stick stopped responding. I took it apart several times, and all the gears are in their proper places. Perhaps I shorted something? Perhaps the lubricant I used damaged the controller? Either way, it was my favorite charcoal controller. :(

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
I'll have to check that when I get home this evening. I suspect that connector is fine however, as the controller sort of works. You know how if you hold the control stick at an angle when you boot up the system, it doesn't calibrate properly? It is acting sort of like that, except less responsive. Perhaps oil (I bought the cheapest kind I could find :o) found its way into the places that sense the axis movement. Or something.

I see in that contest The StYoung and I are tied! If only I had contributed as much to N64dom as God!

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
I dug out a replacement N64 controller and played some Star Fox and some Mario Golf. I've spent that last several years attempting to finish ring shot with every character :blink:

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
dataDyne
Apr 5 2008, 06:59 PM
I'd forgotten how great this game really is, as a matter of fact I'd place it above Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars.

Can't let you do that, dataDyne!

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
alxbly
Apr 5 2008, 11:13 PM
Dagoss, I think this is a good topic. With your permission I'd like to change the title to simply "Play an N64 game" so that we can leave it open and let people post about the N64 games that they're playing. Hopefully it'll catch on and people might dust off the N64 and actually play it!

:)

It'll never work. We need gimmicks to make people play N64 games. Like fake holidays. Or rumors of newly discovered secrets that trick people into playing the game. Or the promise of sexual favors.

... that last one might make a good contest.

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
StYoung
Apr 6 2008, 10:22 PM
I'm down for whoring myself out...

We do have at least one female member by now, right?

Right?

Right?

*runs away* :blink:

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
I played Banjo Tooie yesterday. I haven't touched it in about a year, meaning I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. I beat the Dragons on Hail-Fire Peaks, unfroze the explorer guy, and found two of the three alien children (where is the third!?) I unlocked the Train station for the Ice side but he refuses to go there until I cool down his boiler. I suspect to cool him down, I have to bring him to the Fire side and pound Gobi so he spits water into the steam/pipe/thing on the train. Unfortunately, I don't know where the button to open the Fire Side station is!

This game is so confusing!

I was thinking of picking up Perfect Dark and attempting to conquer Perfect Agent difficulty, but I'm afraid. That game can be really frustrating when you don't know how to complete an objective and enemies are charging you. It has an unnecessary difficulty at times.

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Sapper
Apr 20 2008, 03:17 PM
I just won all firing range challenges in Perfect Dark. :D

Phf. Even I've done those! I have a gold on all of them and I haven't beaten a single campaign level on Perfect Agent!

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Sapper
Apr 21 2008, 05:42 AM
Btw a question to all: Which firing range challenge do you think was the hardest/most frustrating?
I sat nearly 2 hours on the Devastator gold challenge. :(
K7 Avenger (gold), Crossbow (gold) and Laser (silver) were also hard.

I had trouble with some of the automatics (especially the reaper) until I figured out that crouching makes you more accurate. Overall, I didn't have much trouble with the firing range, mainly because it is short, easy to return, and without hazards. The campaign in that game however gives me all sorts of trouble...

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Has anyone here beaten Sin & Punishment on hard? I made it up to 2-3 and died on the boss. This is really quite a test of endurance, since you have to play the game in one sitting. I can't imagine how much 3-2 will bend me over and ravish me...

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Shiren Wonders
May 8 2008, 06:21 AM
I've recently played through and 2 nights ago completely Shadowgate 64. A really underrated game. There's no violence yet no kiddie themes, and it's still really gripping. Who would've thought this possible? <_<

Is it much like Shadowgate on the NES i.e. [USE] [INSERT ITEM] leads to "You have died!" I must have died well over 100 times before completing that game.

Quote:

Carrying the Magical Nitro gets me every time (so freakin' hard).

I had nearly blocked out all memory of that. >_<

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Is Rayman 2 any different from the PS2 version (they have different names!)?

I played Sin & Punishment last night. I have yet to beat hard mode (the turtle boss in 2-1 probably gives me the most trouble. I'm also very bad using lock-on targeting for the roller boss in 2-1 as well -- the boss that really destroys me though is the freaking final boss of 2-3!).

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Hydronix, I used to find your strange affection for Quest 64 ridiculous, like you had really poor taste. Now I find it admirable -- it's amazing that you've managed to find so much beauty in a game that most people revile. I actually feel guilty that I've never played it and just assumed it to be as poor as its reputation claims.

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Wolfvie
Jul 27 2008, 05:41 AM
Well today, I started off with Perfect Dark, completing both the 2nd and 3rd missions. Then later in the afternoon I played Mortal Kombat 4, Aero Gauge, Goldeneye and Lylat Wars. I also discovered that my N64 had a problem. It's overheating and then when I turn off my N64 and take out the cartridge, the cartridge is steaming hot, I then check the expansion pack and it's also very hot. Also sometimes when I put in the cartridge the visuals look faded, less vibrant and much, more blurry then they were before. I am beggining to wonder if I should by a new Nintendo 64. I've gone through three N64's and to be honest I don't really want to spend the $30-$50 online to replace it. Can someone help me?

Is it a third-party expansion? That might cause this problems.

It is normal for both the cartridges and the system to feel warm after they have been played for awhile. They N64 doesn't have a cooling system to fail, so I can't see this really being a problem. (It may have a heatsink inside though. If that were to become not flush with whatever it's attached to, then the system probably would overheat. I've never actually opened a system, so I don't how it handles excess heat. Alxbly will know!)

Quote:

the visuals look faded, less vibrant and much, more blurry

[insert joke about the quality of the N64's graphics here]

Also, welcome to the board. Thanks for not posting one of those lame introduction topics where people come and reply with things like "hooray newbies!" and "hi" and such drivel. You got right down to business!

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
I finished Castlevania 64 today.

It didn't suck as bad as I thought it would. I mean, the controls and camera are banana-on-kitten retarted, but it had some mildly enjoyable moments.

I don't think I could stomach playing as Reinhart though -- aiming with him is such a pain.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply