Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (36,981 Views)
D.J Cat
Member Avatar
alxbly
Apr 6 2008, 09:32 AM

My only other quibble is that some of the levels are too big. It's like the developers at Rare were saying "Look how freakin' big we can make this level look" but they forgot to put interesting stuff to do inside some of those levels. The end result is you go "wow, this is pretty big for a N64 game" but then you get annoyed because you spend five minutes running to the other side, kill some enemies and then you have run back for five minutes to get to the door that opened. Another cheap way of extending the game.

You know I never, ever got that feeling, even in Donkey Kong 64 as well.
Maybe I was naive, or too caught up in the atmosphere, or just having to much fun.
Who knows?

Last night we played multiplayer Bomberman and Super Smash in 3 player battles.
Both were great fun.

I've had so many great battles, just int he last 2 years with Bomberman. Its just a case of mentioning or showing the game, and SO many people say how much they loved it and want to play again.
And its such a great "pick up and play" as well!

Single Player I've only really dabbled in Perfect Dark in bits and pieces as I do, 90% of the time is Combat Simulator, cause I find all the killin is relaxing or something...
And also I had a go at that Area 51 Speedrun.
Was fun!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Pelagic II has Elvis for the most part of it, so what do you mean by lack of aliens. B)

Yeah, the guard in the Pelagic II intro is always Shigsy! ^_^

Its interesting some of the heads that are in the game, and some obvious suits that were meant to go with them.

There is a Neo and Trinity face for starters.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I've never ever been beaten by an Oddjob :D

If you aim for his head and miss, you still hit his body, with Jaws, if you aim for his head and miss, you miss the lot...
Know what I mean.
Also Jaws can survive a full explosion much more than Oddjob (its true).

Played some Pokemon Puzzle League this morning, always great fun in multiplayer.
Everyone just suddenly got into the game up here, its very exciting.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Being playing a lot of Turok (1) , cause I just suddenly got an urge to play the game one Friday afternoon so I went out and bought the game (again, other copy is 2500 kilometres away!).
Want to replay the whole game this time, loving it so far!
Also ran through Wave Race on Expert, just fell short by 2 points on Glacier Coast. I did a helicopter flip though. :)

Recent multiplayer gaming has included Pokemon Puzzle League, International Superstar Soccer 64 (hilarious commentator) and Perfect Dark.

@alxbly
I know what you mean about 1.1
I play Turok, being 1.2 perfect;y naturally and swap between the games fine, but just can't do GE or PD on 1.2 >_<

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Where to start...

1080 Snowboarding:
Had a play through on expert, got up to Mountain Village, but didn't win.
The game still feels quite good, the psychics were always enjoyable on that.
Did the training as well, still can do all the moves.

Wave Race:
After a few goes on Expert, and failing at Glacier Coast, I finally won and by 10 points as well. Really nailed it.
I love the whales that appear on Southern Island, and the more points you have the more appear. Its great how they swim around and make really loud splashes as well.
This game still feels really good, better than 1080, the water, 12 years on still is as good as it gets (cept maybe Wave Race: Blue Storm on the Gamecube)

Snowboard Kids!:
Played this multiplayer at Lansmash, 4 players, and some of the most amazing fun! There was this one guy, I've never seen someone so excited about playing an N64 game, he was going off, and the crowd for Snowboard Kids became bigger than the Smash Finals!
It came down to 3 people on 2 wins, 1 on 0 wins, so we had a final race to decide a winner.
We took it to Big Snowman and the guy on 0 wins finally wins one!
So we took it to Grass Valley, and somehow I pull out the win.

Turok:
Loving it!
Level 4 was easier than I thought it might be, got everything in the level, loved the way the grenade launcher was accessed - the old invisible pathway!
I got everything in level 5 except for 1 key, going to get it later.
And now I'm on level 6 - The Treetop Village, had good memories of this level, even though it does have some annoying sections. I've only got one key so far after quite a while.
But still, this level does so much right, the huge downwards jumps at the start, the atmosphere and outside environment of the level, the walkways above the trees are great.
Can't wait to keep doing this level and then move on!

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Majora's Mask is the next Zelda game I'll be replaying.
Damn, that game had such a great dark atmosphere to it.
Ikana Canyon comes to mind. And that unsettling music.

I've been playing heaps of games lately.

Turok 2:
Up to level 5 now, Hive of the Mantids.
I'd never actually beat level 4 before now on previous play-throughs due to coming to level 5 first or getting hopelessly lost on level 4 (and what a pain of a level it was).
So I might well FINALLY get to beat the game that has beaten me before in the past.

Excitebike 64:
This game is FUN. The psychics are brilliant, its quite a challenge just to get your bike around at times, and as such its so rewarding once you finally get a hold of it.
I love how you have to line your bike up, take the corners, while not bouncing all over the place from bumps and so on. And getting just the right amount of turbo for those big jumps.
Can't wait to unlock Hill Climb.
Also I bought a new Controller Pak the other day, and it had an Excitebike track on it. Well, thats what made we wanna whip out the game. What a classic track. There is a big hump before the frist corner and all the computer players boost at it and wipe out on the first corner. The commentator then proceeds to go mental and name every rider in quick succession as "wiping out into the bails!" etc

Snowboard Kids 2:
Been playing a lot of multiplayer of this beauty, trying to work out a good format for running a tournament, what tracks/characters are fair etc.
And its really enjoyable anyway, so its not like a chore at all. :yeah:

:n64: :n64: :n64:

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I started Body Harvest a few weeks ago, haven't got back to it yet.
Seems like it has good potential, just got too many other games n stuff going on.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Yeah, the coloured bananas don't actually count to the 101% you just need them to fight the bosses.
Yeah, I collected absolutely everything, including ALL the coloured bananas back in the day.
Yep.

Might be worth a replay too.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
alxbly
Jun 16 2009, 12:03 PM
D.J Cat
Jun 16 2009, 03:06 AM
Yeah, the coloured bananas don't actually count to the 101% you just need them to fight the bosses.
How long did it take to get to 101%? :blink:
Not that long actually, just a few months.
I guess my dedication and interest was strong back then and it was easy to sit for hours without being distracted...ahhhh.

Been playing Body Harvest lately, its alright, although I wish you could save more often!
NBA Hangtime and International Superstar Soccer 64 have been fun in multiplayer lately as well as a good go at Mario Kart/Tennis/Party, all in the one night too!

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Yoshi64
Jul 29 2009, 11:48 AM
Mop_it_up
Jun 7 2009, 11:10 PM
I never completed Donkey Kong 64 either, I don't remember how far I got before tiring of it. Same reason as dataDyne really, an excellent game ruined by all of the junk you have to collect.

Maybe I should give it another go... though I don't think I could pick up where I left off since I don't remember anything. I'd probably have to start over which is what has kept me from trying it again.
I go back and try and play it every once and awhile, but I have no clue what to do, I got pretty far in it, I just need one more key to unlock that lizard guy from the cage. I might try and finish it someday.... def. to much garbage to collect.
Yeah thats the problem, not doing it in one hit, If you do it all in go without leaving the game for more than a few weeks a time you'll remember where your at.

We started a 4 player game of Mario Party 2 last night at 2:30am, I didn't do very well though.
So close to winning the mini-game star though!

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Excitebike 64, I finally *got* it with the driving...to an extent haha.
Just unlocked Pro difficulty and beat Bronze and Silver rounds...love the hill climb stage.

I love the way the game rewards you for taking people out...so brutal.

Off topic, but I just thought it would be a good idea to tak epics of our gaming setups...ther emigth already be a topic on it...might be fun. :D
Edited by D.J Cat, Nov 13 2009, 10:29 AM.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
l0whit07
Feb 13 2010, 11:22 PM
I just beat Super Mario 64 for the 2nd time, the 1st was back when it came out. It was great, took about a week, playing on and off. I must admit though, I used the strategy guide quite often. Mainly only after I got 70 stars and beat the final Bowser.

I've never been very good at video games, just consider myself casual gamer, and I really only play the 64. Do you all use strategy guides, or frown on them. I only try to use them when I need it.

It was great beating the game again and topping it off with meeting Yoshi on the castle.
Uhhh, not a fan of statergy guides, takes all the fun out of games!

Haha, I remember I was stuck on 119 Stars on Super Mario 64 for over 6 months, I played the game nearly every day, i even had dreams about getting that last star, finally got it though, it ws the beat Princess Peach's slide in under 21 seconds.

^_^

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
alxbly
Feb 14 2010, 06:05 PM
I use strategy guides for some games, there are some things that can be quite frustrating otherwise... for example, in Crackdown I have collected 348 of 350 secret orbs. I'd spent tens of hours searching for the last few agility orbs (which I eentually found) and subsequent hours searching for these last two secret orbs. If I'd used a strategy guide to mark off what I'd collected then I'd have them all by now. >_<

Hmmm, yeah for that sort of thing I should just look it up.
Unnessesary frustration thanks to rediculiously hidden things you'd never find otherwise are worth finding out.

Also yeah, Start a new file. That will fill the moat back up. -_-

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Started playing Banjo-Tooie for something to do today.

Pretty enjoyable, not as much as the first couple of playthroughs though.
The largeness of the levels and sometimes confusing design can be annoying, bit the humour and connectitity which I know is coming later will be fantastic.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Bayman2004
Feb 28 2011, 05:31 PM
Just got my N64 today I've been playing Pilotwings and Goldeneye both where just as good as I remember them being many years ago. Can't wait to try Mario and Zelda OoT when they arrive from off EBay
Lots of good memories of exploring the huge levels in Pilotwings.

And Goldeneye is just the best.

Damn, Banjo-Tooie has a LOT of innuendo.
Its brilliant :D

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Mario Kart and Goldeneye are so good for multi.
Mario Tennis is up there as well.

I finished Banjo-Tooie last week.
Good stuuf.
Didnt really think it was worth 100% the game as ive done that before anyway.
Although, does anyone rate the xbox remakes of the Banjo games? Im curious.

Started and finished Turok 3 over the past week.
Well, half finished it I think. Still gotta play through as Joseph.
Very enjoyable game! Doesnt have the slowdown or fog of the previous games and moves along at a quick pace. Weapons are fantastic too. As expected in a Turok game.

But, I just made progres on Duke Nukem Zero Hour for the first time in 4 months, I might finish that first.
Come get some!
Edited by D.J Cat, Mar 13 2011, 08:30 AM.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
That is a fine selection of games bayman. Finished Ocarina before?

Where are you up to in Mario Elseb?

Cant believe I finally finished Duke Nukem: Zero Hour.
What a HARD game it was.
Modern day gamers wouldnt be able to beat this game.
Its very punishing.

Now what game to play next?
Play the other half of Turok 3?
Play through the original Turok? (in less then 12 days)
Or start Turok: Evolution again? (I never finished that game for some reason back in the day)

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Elseb
Mar 20 2011, 11:44 AM
D.J Cat
Mar 17 2011, 06:21 PM
Where are you up to in Mario Elseb?

I've got 29 stars, i was one of the unlucky ones who had an N64 back in the day but never played Mario 64. :blink:
29 Stars, keep at it.
Gotta love those basement level, Lethal Lava Land, Hazy Maze Cave and...Shifting Sand Land?
Did you catch the rabbit?

@Grizzmeister
OMG I LOVE Snowboard Kids and Snowboard Kids 2.
Played so much multiplayer with those games.
If you get the right group of people playing these games...its so good!
So much excitement.
I prefer the original for multiplayer actually but the 2nd game is deeper, the option to look behind you and reflect items is a good addition.
The single player in SnoBow Kids 2 is supreme.

And the music in both games is fantastic.
Turn up the bass on Big Snowman. :D

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Elseb
Mar 26 2011, 12:13 PM

Mickeys Speedway is great, very fun game.

^_^
I thought it was fairly good.
Very clean and crisp.

But not as good as Diddy Kong Racing which it is a sorta-sequal too.
Sorta....

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Elseb
Mar 27 2011, 07:03 AM
Don't get me wrong, i like DDR. I just don't think it's as great as everyone says it is.
DDR is pretty fun. :D

Haha, I do like the option of having the hovercraft and plane as well.
And the music is great.

Bin playing a bit of Goldenye lately.
Trying to get the old form back.
I havent lost much.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I love Hydro Thunder.
Good looking game for the N64.

Imagine my excitement last year when I saw the Arcade version of it down at Garden City (your in Brisbane right?)

:D

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Its sorta under the lower food court.

Yeah, shame about that Gametraders
The ones at Browns Plains and Indooroopily are going strong.
Sorta know some of the owners/people that work at them.
Bought 14 N64 games last time they had a pre-played sale. :D

Only been playing F-Zero X this week inbetween working 50 hours and now being incredibly sick. :-X

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Yeah Hyrdo Thunder doesnt quite do it in multiplayer.

I managed to just unlock the Hard levels on Saturday.
The Far East took several tries.

I destroyed my mate in Mario Kart, won every cup.
He used to go even with me, but I think that was only cause I used to drink heaps when we used to play. :P
Then we played Goldeneye and he beat me, cause I'd had to much to drink funny enough. >_<

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I remember Cruisin World getting pretty decent reviews, especially compared to Cruisin USA. A lot of people still liekd the game but.

Mostly just been playing Wetrix, but watched my buddy play Forsaken for an hour, I'd never played it before.
Looks pretty good, very 90s world, love the soundtrack.
And it moves along at a fair clip too.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I bought Xena last year, almost as a bit of a joke. Played it a bit.
Thought it was only a 2 player game. I can see it being fun as a 4 player game though.
Maube I should give it a bit more a try.

I love how 90s world it is.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
mandalore
Jun 6 2011, 06:30 PM
Ninty64
Jun 6 2011, 03:50 PM

BAR is a great little racing game, I used to borrow it from a friend from time to time. We actually had 2 versions of the game released here in Australia, both identical, except for the fact it was called Holden Adventure Racing, and the cars were replaced with Holden sports cars. I always preferred BAR tho. More quirky :yeah: [/color]
I preffered HSV Adventure Racing for the over the top Australian Accent of the announcer.

And yeah Rayman 2 is pretty special.
I never finished it.
Maybe I should play it from the start again.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I loved Killer Instinct Gold, hell I even gave it a good crack last Friday Night believe it or not.

Using the D-Pad helps.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
1080 was the Game of the Month a few months back.
I quite enjoyed it but im not sure too many others played.
Im pretty good at it, just saying. ^_^

Armorines was enjoyable when i played it, not too sure how well it would have aged though.
Quite punishing with its long levels at times.
I think it gets better in the 2nd half of the game.
Co-op was enjoyable too.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
HoldStartSelect
Nov 13 2011, 04:17 AM
I'm ashamed; I haven't had the chance to even think about picking up an N64 controller this weekend.

Does re-playing OoT in my head over and over again count?
No, playin in your head doesnt count! :P

yeah, working 60 hours a week is getting in the way of playing N64.
But, craving some Doom64 right about now.
Might play a bit before playing the sleeping game.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Puffinator
Nov 14 2011, 12:08 PM
Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Tennis, both are pretty intense and addicting once I get started.
2 excelent fast-paced games that i've spent a lot of time on.

Diddy Kong Racing is very rewarding.
Trying to unlock TT :o
And damn good music too.

Inbetween working and sleeping I've only had time for a few games of Hyrdo Thunder.
Enjoyable as always but couldnt do that bloody jump where you brake and then boost to hop up in the air.
Hopefully i can play soem mroe on the weekend and maybe fullfill my urge to play DOOM as well.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: