Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (39,854 Views)
Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
A few days ago I decided to do a complete run of Donkey Kong 64. I remember this game being massive in size and being a rather lengthy adventure, I can't tell you how many hours were wasted on this game going for a 100% (well 101%) of the game as a kid. Over the pass few years I occasionally (maybe every 5-6 months possibly) pop the game in and start up a new file, I play for a while but after I beat the boss in Jungle Japes and get to Angry Aztec, I feel like I'm overwhelmed on everything you need to collect.

This time it was different, I got over that feeling and took my time scouring each level to find every banana, gold banana, blue print, banana fairy, as well as the banana coins, and the end result over the course of a week I completed the game with a time of 22 hours and 12 minutes (22:12). The game isn't as big of a collectathon as the internet now brands the game with.

After sinking in that much time into I was kind of disappointed that the game ended, kind of wish there was at least one more full length level, probably the biggest draw back to me was some of the bonus games you have to play to get the golden bananas, while some are fun, some are downright tedious, annoying, and not fun at all (hate the one where you have to scare the beavers into the hole). Another thing that annoyed me is that backtracking to a Barrel to change characters at times seemed annoying (be pretty sweet to switch at will). My least peeve with the game is the boss battles, while the first boss against the Armadillo was fun, was it necessary to bring him back? Same with the giant Dragon Fly, I thought the bosses were pretty lacking (feels like DKC boss vibe of respectiveness).

I have to say my favorite level would probably have to be Jungle Japes, compared to the rest of the levels, its small, compact, and doesn't take much time to travel around. Least favorite (or most hated) stage will probably have to go to Frantic Factory, seemed poorly designed imo (but what do I know).

It's a great platformer with a few flaws, be nice to see another 3D free roaming adventure in the DK universe but seems will be sticking with side scrolling for awhile. The DK rap is still as lame as ever.

Today I started up Space Station Silicon Valley, lately I've been considering parting with a few more games in my N64 games and this one is one of the likely victims. Haven't really delved into it, just been sitting with my 64 collection in a box, I've tried to get into it before but just wasn't 'feeling it' currently up to the 4th level and it has some unique ideas, hopefully I can play this thing and stick with it to the end.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply