Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (37,004 Views)
Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Played through StarFox 64 yesterday and a couple of times today. Really was very enjoyable getting that out and shooting my way through it again.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
If they came out with a cart based system, I'd be all over it! And I don't see why they couldn't. With something like the DS cart, and with SD cards being so cheap, its not like the old days. There has been great advancement in technology and prices have went down. We can dream.... :)

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Wow! Been spending the day with Cruis'n Exotica. Great fun and a wild ride. :w00t:

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
lazyhoboguy
Oct 20 2009, 02:54 AM
I have cruisin exotica. I really liked that game. It was so crazy lol. I should dust it off and play it again.
I can't help but laugh as I see all these other cars, and sometimes me, get to bouncing around the highway and piling up. There is so much crazy driving here, it has become my favorite of the Cruis'n series on the N64 in this short time that I have had it.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I always have my daily dose of Ridge Racer 64. Lately I have began playing Kirby 64 again. Today has been a Kirby day. Great platformer.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I've been spending some time today with some of the fighters that I have for the N64. Mace, Dark Rift, and Fighter's Destiny. Fighter's Destiny is really an unusal spin on the genre. I can get into the point based fighting. Really not a bad overall game. Not an easy pick up and play, but one you have to get into. Dark Rift still remains my favorite so far. I want to get my hands on Killer Instinct, I have yet to do that. I do feel like Mace is pretty good for a weapons based fighter. Just not as much fun for me as Dark Rift.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I was playing Off Road Challenge this past weekend. Good arcade game.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Just found Banjo Kazooie at a local indoor flea market for $3.00. :lol: Looks like it has never been used.
I've had Banjo Tooie for a long time but I have never had or played Kazooie. I think I like Kazooie better. :yeah: I think it is the overall feel of the game.
:applause:

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Mk II
Nov 24 2010, 05:22 PM
Cruis'n USA (yep, its pretty bad!)
Try Cruis'n Exotica. It is the best Cruis'n game on the 64. To me, it is just hilarious and such a joy to play. I feel that they fixed a lot of things with this one. I am going to have to get this game out to play today after talking about it.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
The games that I pulled out this Holiday weekend have been Star Wars Rogue Squadon with Expansion Pak (which is never removed). Protected convoys, even sacrificed my X-wing at one point by crashing it into a turret. ummmm.. maybe not intentional. Played around with World Driver. Star Wars Racer was my entertainment while riding the exercise bike. I needed a fan blowing in my face. It would have felt more realistic. Cruis'n Exotica, love that game, started the whole Holiday with this one.
I even gave Fighting Force 64 another chance after my first impression 10 years ago. Really not as bad as I remembered it. Pretty good as just a beat'em up time waster. Not as good as Final Fight or Streets of Rage, but it is the same sort-of ideas at work here. Just not executed as well. Maybe its the transfer to the 3D realm that hurt this genre.

It's been a N64 Holiday Weekend with a little of the DSi XL to fill in the cracks.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I pulled out Star Soldier Vanishing Earth today for a play. I will have to admit that many years ago when I first played this game I was very disappointed. One thing I didn't like was the polygonal graphics. I was so used to playing games of this genre with hand drawn graphics. Another thing was the game was not as frantic as some of the games that I was playing at the time.
Over the years I have grown to appreciate and like this game. Today's session was very satisfying.
As I was playing today my thoughts were, why didn't any one else produce games of this genre for the N64? Being a fan of these type of shooters I found myself thankful that at least Electrobrain cared enough to give us Star Soldier Vanishing Earth. ^_^

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Was playing Hydro Thunder, Star Soldier, Mace, & Dark Rift today. I really like Hydro Thunder, it was the most fun from todays line up.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Just got this game this past week. Did a quick temporary back change to the cart so I can play.
Posted Image

Been wanting this game for a while. The American version just seemed too expensive for me. (I'm just a player not a collector.) I had read many times that it is a bad fighting game. I played it through this morning using Cheetor. It was difficult at first, controls are not intuitive. And it did seem that when fighting against certain characters I had to use a different strategy. The game does feel a bit unfinished. I did enjoy the short trip through once I got the hang of it. I wanted more moves for each character mode while playing. I did not like the difficulty in aiming my weapon. One would need to be a diehard fan to really be deep into this game.

Overall I am glad to have Beast Wars in my N64 play-list. And in spite of my negativity above, I will pull this one out occasionally.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Okay, sorry this took so long. This is Transmetals: Beast Wars the Japanese version. In my opinion this is the best version of the game and it is better and a lots more fun.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Not sure what you are looking for, but I have recorded to DVD those last moments and the credits rolled. That is where I got these shorts from. My N64 is hooked into my Toshiba DVD recorder. Makes it so easy to get shots. For some reason it was a lot more tougher going through this today than what I remember.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
My haul and gaming time on my N64 this week.

Posted Image

Neon Genesis Evangelion is really immersive in the way the game is put together. You feel like you are a part of the story. I am having fun even though I do not know what is going on, being that I do not know Japanese. The game becomes more of an action game for me. I think if I hunt down the anime, and begin watching, it wouldn't take much to understand what is happening story wise.
The other game is based off of the Voltron series. It is nothing more than a beat'em up fighting game similar to the Street Fighter type genre. You can take the battle to the air or on the ground. A lot of good moves and it seems like a good little fighter. And with this type of game, a story is not really needed.

Both of these games give me a different feel about the N64. It expands my perspective of the system. Both games are definitely for fans of the series. I have not watched either of these animes but I am enjoying the games and having fun. I would say that the Voltron game has not aged well due to the fighter genre has evolved so much over the years. The Neon game shows were modern action games, gameplay infused within a story, possibly had its beginnings. As a retro gamer, both, are a good trip back and for me, good fun on the N64.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
italia64
Aug 22 2015, 01:43 PM
Retro Junkie
Aug 22 2015, 09:39 AM
Both of these games give me a different feel about the N64. It expands my perspective of the system.
I totally agree. When you play NTSC-J N64 exclusive is like discover another console completely different.

It's hard to believe that Sin and Punishment is an N64 game for example.

I played a bit Neon Genesis Evangelion, is it possible to beat it without a guide if you don't know Japanese?
That is a good question. One that I hope I can answer as I play this game. Already I am wanting to see an English translation of the controls. I have searched and found those. I feel that it is a surprisingly good game. I am thinking under rated at this point. I am really enjoying the gaming experience that I am getting from Neon.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Been playing Super Robot Spirit 64 today. I thought this game was based on Voltron, for some reason. I guess the blockiness of the big robots looked like them. Come to find out as I got deep into the game today that it is really a Gundam game. It really is a top notch fighter on the N64. I have come to like and enjoy the gameplay which has some resemblance to Street Fighter 2. The gameplay is 2D even though it has a 3D look to the characters. I rate this game up there with Super Smash Bros which many contend as being the best fighter on the N64.

I need to watch more robot anime. :unsure:

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Played Star Soldier: The Vanishing Earth today.
I have not pulled this one out in a long time. I was itching for some shooting action on my N64. I had some bad memory of this one for some reason, not sure why. Maybe it was from reviews I read. I did have a lot of fun with it today. The easy mode was too easy. Liked regular better, more challenging, more bullets on screen. I will say, back then, that I would have had higher expectations of a game like this coming from Hudson Soft and landing on the N64. Should have been an awesome winning combination.

Instead I get an average space shooter that feels like something is missing. Nothing makes it stand out from others in a very crowded genre. There are those moments when I get that “yes” feel here, but I wanted it all through the game. Not sure what caused them to sacrifice whatever it is that is missing but I should have got something akin to Blazing Lasers. Something having that same intense feel. Maybe they had difficulty with getting a grip on the hardware and translating a 2D game into something with a 3D pseudo element in the mix. There could have been a little more creativity gone into the bosses. (And there is a part of me that wishes it was hand drawn graphics.) I do see a lot of influence of other shooters in this game. For some reason Iridion 2 for the GBA comes to mind. Which is not a bad thing. I know that this is not up there with the “big boys” but I do feel that this game has been very under rated.

I love this genre of games. And in lovin the N64, I would not want to be without this game in my collection. Like I was thinking today, as I was playing, that I was thankful that a gamer like me was remembered by Hudson Soft landing this on the N64. It is still awesome fun. After all these years I play it with an appreciation that it exists. And I enjoy it more today than I did back then. Time changes your perspective. For me, it was “Game of the day” and it dominated my N64 in today’s gaming. I did save the Earth in beginners mode. That is why you are able to read this. (Yes beginners mode, get over it.)

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
As you know I have recently been importing games...........

This week I have been spending time with "Sin & Punishment" on my N64. It completely blows my mind that they did not bring this game to the US during its release date in 2000. And it would have meant little effort on their part, as it is basically already in English except for the menu system. It would have been such a hit at that point in gaming history. I know this was remade for the Wii in 2009, or it is considered the successor. And this N64 version was also released on the VC, seven years later after the initial release. But sometimes there are those "moments" that are missed. Timing is everything. As technology changes, it also changes the situation. And, years later, as it was released for the Wii it became missed and buried among a host of other games across the various consoles. Its impact was diluted. I consider this a classic for the N64 that must be experienced by anyone that owns the N64 console. And I know that many gamers of this generation would probably not understand the significance. The gaming world has changed so much since those days.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
My Bangai-O for the N64 came in the mail today. Been playing this awesome game. Give me this game and Sin & Punishment and stick me on a deserted Island. That is all I need. :D
italia64
Oct 23 2015, 06:11 PM
toTonight I beaten Rakugakids!
I really don't like fighting games but in this case I appreciated a lot three things:
-The childish story and atmospheres got something magic and even adult gamers can appreciate them.
-The graphics style is wonderful, very original
-The musics are very catchy, I liked a lot the soundtrack

Posted Image
I really like Rakugakids. It is a fun filled game. A surprisingly good 2D fighter. It made me wish that Capcom would have put Street Fighter Alpha or Marvel vs Capcom on the N64.

Edited by Retro Junkie, Nov 4 2015, 07:25 PM.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
italia64
Nov 7 2015, 08:19 PM
@Retro Junkie, do you know if DC and N64 versions of Bangai-O have the same OST?
Each version of the game has its own composer. I get the same electricity from the music but they are different compositions. The N64 Bangai-o has its own feel. The Dreamcast, even though the same in concept, has its own feel. The gameplay has been changed, evolved, tweaked, depends of the one playing, whether this is good or bad. And I think the music is a part of the atmosphere. Using the N64 controller seems to give me a better experience, my opinion. After playing,I tend to lean toward the N64 version as the better game. I look at it as the original intended game and the rest being just variations. I now have the N64, Dreamcast, and the DS versions.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Spending time with Pokemon Puzzle League and Fighter's Destiny 2 this weekend, original hardware, retro gamer, instant fun.
:dk:

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Seems like I have been getting into the fighting games this past two weeks. I've even purchased a few games I didn't have. Playing Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Mace: The Dark Age, Dark Rift, and visiting Rampage 2 between bouts. I really didn't realize just how many fighting games that the N64 had until I sorted through my collection and separated the lot. I believe that most of these games were very under rated during their release many years ago. I have Deadly Arts on the way. Can't wait to see how that game will appeal to me. I have long learned that old game magazines and net reviews can be very off from reality. Dark Age and Dark Rift are very good weapons based fighters IMO. Far from the treatment they got in the magazines back in the day. I have wondered if I am a weird gamer. :huh: What the "expert" reviewers kick aside, I enjoy.

This is the first time I have ever played a Mortal Kombat game.
Edited by Retro Junkie, Mar 6 2016, 07:28 AM.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
EGM magazine back in the day called Mace mediocre. I find it a very fun fighter.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Been playing Mace all week. This is one deep fighter. There is so much to learn combos, counter-attacks, throws, evading. You are not going to just walk through this game by mashing a button. Love the graphics, such detail, awesome. Nice arcade weapon based fighter, highly recommended.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Playing Fighters Destiny this week!!! Awesome. I am finding a lot to like and enjoy about this game.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Playing Flying Dragon right now!!! This game is so good. And I am especially talking about the SD mode in the game. There are RPG elements here that makes the game very deep and fun. If you just casually pick this up, you may not realize the depth here and pitch the game aside. But if you spend time with it you will be motivated to dig in deep. Lots to like here as you learn moves and build your character's strength and skills.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
This week I am playing Super Robot Spirits. I started in March playing the fighting games of the N64. I have been spending a week on each one. Here is the list of games that I have already played so far. I have a bunch to go. In the process I have been adding to my collection.

Fighter Destiny 2
Fighters Destiny
Flying Dragon 2
Flying Dragon
Killer Instinct Gold
Mace the Dark Age
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Dark Rift
War Gods
Deadly Arts

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I'm playing Last Legion UX. This is a N64 game that I imported from Japan. If you can remember Sega's Virtual On at the arcades and the Saturn then you can get an idea of how this game plays. You get more control over the customization of your bot. I can easily see that two player is where this game would excel. It is totally awesome for a N64 game. Just got this today in my mail box.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
Okay I am being very thankful for those who take the time to do fan translations of those games that did not make it to the US but stayed in Japan. I am also being thankful for those who have the ingenuity to produce reproduction carts for retro consoles. For without that, I would not have this English translation of the Animal Crossing game which initially first appeared on the Nintendo 64.

One quirk that this reproduction cart has, is, no real time clock. I think the special chip is missing from the reproduction PC board. The game knows that there is something wrong with the clock and warns you. But if you are playing it every day, like I am, you can adjust it to the time and date you begin. The game saves with the internal battery, your game,time you stopped, and the date. And this is saved to the cart, not to a memory card. So really no big deal. Can’t really complain with what I got here. It mostly baffles me why Nintendo did not bring this to the US while the N64 was on the shelf.

Loving every minute of this though :yeah:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply