Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (36,984 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Right now I'm playing a lot of F-Zero X and Super Smash Bros. because in my extremely humble opinion those two games are brilliant and still relevant despite their technically more advanced sequels.

Here are some of the other N64 multiplayer games I play regularly when friends come over.
Posted Image
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
clarky_n64
Mar 20 2011, 04:35 PM
I'm currently playing Snowboard kids 2. Great edtion to the first.
Snowboard Kids 2 is an amazingly underrated game and in my opinion far superior to the original. The graphics are better, weapons more balanced and you can actually control your characters as they ski down hill. I own both games in the series (and would love to have a burned copy of Snobow Kids plus for the PSX- hint, hint ;) ) but I consider SK2 the definitive iteration.

Posted Image
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
For about the last week I've been playing Killer Instinct Gold pretty seriously. This started because discussion on another message board that I frequent centered around N64 fighting games being unfairly overlooked. I realized I'd never given KIG a fair chance back in the day which struck me as very odd since me and my friends had spent so much time with Killer Instinct on the SNES.

So I dug up my Killer Instinct Gold strategy guide, put the game in my console and went at it. Then it all came back to me; the reason I'd never spent much time with this game is because the N64 controller is awful for Street Fighter style fighters. Nonetheless, KIG is a very fun and strategically deep entry in to the fighting game genre. So much so that I think I'm going to fabricate a competition worthy arcade-style fightstick for my N64. If I really do end up following through on this project I'll surely post pictures of it here so stay tuned...

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
D.J Cat
Oct 7 2011, 05:23 AM
I loved Killer Instinct Gold, hell I even gave it a good crack last Friday Night believe it or not.

Using the D-Pad helps.
Yeah I have an old Madcatz controller that I use for KIG because it features a floating d-pad design. However, fighting games are becoming wildly popular again here in the US which has inspired many people to create their own custom arcade stick. Check out this video which demonstrates how amazing some of these sticks can be.

Watching videos like this makes me want to fabricate my own custom stick specifically for the N64. This is especially true as a high quality stick was never available commercially for the N64 as far as I know. :huh:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Arcade Shark looks interesting and quite usable for some arcade ports but I'm a little skeptical at how long it would last if used for Killer Instinct Gold at anything beyond a casual level of play.

TNT737373, I'd really like to read your impression of the Arcade Shark with KIG if you get a chance. Maybe with a character like Jago who has a lot of rolling motions to pull off his moves.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Purtle
Jan 29 2012, 03:35 PM
Does anyone have the problem where they have too many things to play, or that they have lots of games to play but just always end up playing one game they play all the time anyways?

;-;
I always end up going back to F-Zero X when I'm alone or Super Smash Bros. with friends.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Alice Lawless
Sep 29 2012, 09:50 AM
I didn't know where else to post this, but since today is the 16th anniversary of the Nintendo 64, Classic Game Room did a brief video about the impact of the N64. We've all seen these types of videos posted somewhere, but what makes this one worth watching is the picture they used for 1:47-1:52. I'm sure Grizzmeister will recognize it :whistle:
Very keen eye, Alice Lawless! Yeah that's one of my pictures.

Posted Image

Shouldn't I be receiving royalties or something? :lol:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Red Shadow
Oct 31 2012, 05:06 PM
I played a bunch of N64 games today. Had fun with South Park, GoldenEye, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 and Star Wars: Battle For Naboo.
I do this sometimes too, throw a bunch of N64 games on the ground and just start playing about 20 minutes of each for a few hours.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm still investing an inordinate amount of time in to Killer Instinct Gold. I've started using the character Glacius and I'm amazed at how versatile and powerful he is. KIG has a lot of shortcomings but overall it's an amazingly deep and engaging fighting game. A quality 2d fighter if there ever was one. :yeah:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Randomgeek
Nov 19 2012, 10:46 PM
That's cool, I really enjoyed Killer Instinct on the SNES, I should try to pick up the N64 version sometime.
As this video shows, Killer Instinct Gold is an amazingly fun game when played against another real live person.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I posted about the series the other day so I thought I'd start playing Snowboard Kids 1 & 2 again.

Posted Image

SBK 2 is really a beautiful game that while not as polished as Diddy Kong Racing easily matches it in art design.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ChemicalJoy
Jan 7 2013, 07:45 AM
Has anyone here beaten all 4 circuits on Master?
Me!

Yeah, F-Zero X is VERY challenging in Master; much harder than F-Zero GX on the GameCube since you can't create a custom vehicle with uber stats.

BTW, I used Billy's machine Mad Wolf to beat Master on all 4 circuits.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Randomgeek
Feb 16 2013, 08:13 PM
I finally managed to do something that most people never do: Unlocking the "Ho" character in WWF No Mercy, which costs $500,000 at the game's shop.
Can you upgrade her to a crack Ho? :lol:

I played some Mario Tennis today but since I haven't played in a while I did terrible. :(

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I haven't used my N64 controller with the "GameCube-like" thumbstick in a while so today I put it through its paces with WipeOut 64. I'm happy to report that the third-party thumbstick works quite well with that game.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
DeeMoney
Mar 3 2013, 10:18 PM
I'm going to break out Killer Instinct Gold tonight. Have never played it and am keen as mustard to give it a run. Everyone seems to only have good things to say about it (im looking at you Grizz). :yeah:
You did watch my Killer Instinct Gold retrospective didn't you? KIG is fun as a single-player game especially when you pull off the really big combos but its true genius only comes to light when you play it with a friend.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
N64Collecting
Mar 4 2013, 07:56 PM
First time playing F-Zero X this morning, absoloutely awesome game, can't believe never heard anyone else saying it was awesome xD
I sing F-Zero X's praises all the time. It's sorta like Wave Race 64 in that it doesn't really get interesting until you play the harder difficulty levels. For example, X's Master setting is VERY challenging to beat.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
HappyE
May 12 2013, 11:24 PM
Super Smash Bros yo's.
and Mario Kart from time to time.

I wonder if you guys are involved in the MarioKart64 players page and all.
are you? :o
I'm not involved in the MarioKart64 players' page but it looks interesting.

Seems you and I have similar taste as MK64 and SSB are the N64 games I play most often. Right now I'm spending time with Mario Tennis. If you don't own a copy you may want to purchase it as it's a brilliant single and multi player title.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Killer Instinct Gold has become my obsession as of late. There are several reason for this starting with the fact that the franchise will soon be reimagined on the upcoming Xbox One. I loath Microsoft's new console and have no intentions of ever picking one up but I still hold out hope that Microsoft releases an HD version of Killer Instinct 2/Gold on the Xbox 360 complete with on-line play. This desire comes from having picked up Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix and marveling at how the updated graphics and a silky smooth on-line mode make it the definitive Street Fighter II experience.

What attracts me to fighting games in general is the one-on-one aspect were victory or defeat rests entirely on my own shoulders. That's in stark contrast to most modern on-line first-person-shooters which tend to emphasize cooperative game play instead. Fighting games like Killer Instinct Gold reward hard work, practice and dedication so that's exactly what I'm putting in to it. :D

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Dahlgrii
Apr 2 2014, 12:50 PM
I've been trying F-Zero X, and getting massacred (you've lost your machine). Aw the speed though and the music love it!
It's the challenge of F-Zero X, especially at the higher difficulty levels, that keeps it relevant and playable to this day. It's the epitome of arcade style racing in that it offers just enough customization to differentiate it from something like a Mario Kart 64.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Tonight's the last night I'll have the Wii connected to my HDTV so in celebration I played Mario Golf 64 (VC). Used the code to unlock all the characters and then beat Boo Valley to unlock Mario's Star course. Good times!

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I've been desperately wanting to play Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards since I got it. Maybe I'll fire it up this week as I may have a little down time. How long does it take to beat?

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Today I played about an hour of the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros.(Dairantou Smash Brothers 64) on the actual Nintendo 64 hardware. I hadn't done that in a while since I've mostly been playing the Virtual Console version on my Wii. However, now that the Wii has been packed up to make room for the Wii U I had no choice but to play on my little 20 inch CRT. It was probably for the best that I did, though, because I wanted to confirm that the joystick on my N64 controller still felt smooth and that the ceramic grease I lubricated it with was still doing its job.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Played a little Last Legion UX (Japanese N64) this morning. Since I used to be a big fan of Mecha games, Last Legion UX brings back fond memories of the late 90's when me and my best friend Doug played almost any giant robot game we could get our hands on.

The 3 Armored Core games on the original Playstation are still the high water mark of the genre with Frame Gride on the Dreamcast coming in 2nd. Last Legion UX feels somewhat like it was inspired by Sega's Virtual On but it isn't nearly as polished as that arcade tested classic.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Sep 12 2014, 06:07 PM
I'll BE playing Dairantou Smash Bros. very soon. Finally caved and got it off Amazon along with gamebit screwdrivers to mod my 64.
I modded the cartridge itself instead.

Posted Image

Just swapped out the back with a North American cartridge.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
Sep 22 2014, 07:59 AM
@Grizz: Okay, Grizz, what NTSC game did you kill? I'm guessing it was a QB Club game :D
Yeah, I used some random sports game that I got for less than a buck. :)

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Retrogate thread got me thinking about F-Zero X Climax so that's mostly what I'm playing when I'm in the mood for some high-speed racing action. :n64:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
For the last few years I've been hearing how WWF No Mercy for the N64 is probably the best pro wrestling game of all time. That motivated me to pick up a used copy so me and my friends can do 4-player matches on our next retro night.

Right now I'm working my way through the single-player just to figure out the basics so I can teach my buddies.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Spent some time doing F-Zero X time trials today. For one I wanted to remind myself how the game looks on a CRT television, and two it's one of the games that plays really well with my N64 controller that has the newer GameCube style sticks.

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply