Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (34,659 Views)
TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Grizzmeister
Oct 7 2011, 05:41 AM
Watching videos like this makes me want to fabricate my own custom stick specifically for the N64. This is especially true as a high quality stick was never available commercially for the N64 as far as I know. :huh:
Not a true "fighter" stick, although this creation by the same company who made the Gameshark, is very well put together and feels solid to use. I have an Arcade Shark, and it's a fun twist to the N64 gameplay, haven't tried it with Killer Instinct though! I've used this for Robotron, Namco Museum, and Midway Arcade Classics, and the layout makes it easy to play. Here are some pics, as you can see it's quite big (bigger than the console itself!) and will take up your entire lap:
Posted Image
It's better than the regular N64 controller for classic arcade games, although it's not as sick as the one Grizz has got. 8)
Edited by TNT737373, Oct 14 2011, 08:49 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Grizzmeister
Oct 16 2011, 09:35 AM
TNT737373, I'd really like to read your impression of the Arcade Shark with KIG if you get a chance. Maybe with a character like Jago who has a lot of rolling motions to pull off his moves.
...might be some difficulty there, ha. Sure when I get some free time I'll play a couple of matches and let ya know.

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
Alice Lawless
Sep 29 2012, 09:50 AM
today is the 16th anniversary of the Nintendo 64, Classic Game Room did a brief video about the impact of the N64.
Well this guy was harsh on the console, sounded more like a con list than a memorial video. ha. The Super Nintendo generation doesn't seem to like the N64 at all, and in addition a majority retro gamers scoff at it. Such a shame.

TNT737373
Member Avatar
Veteran
The Red Shadow
Oct 31 2012, 11:29 AM
It could have, and SHOULD have, been a better console experience for us all.
I wasn't subscribed to Nintendo Power or internet dial-up back in the 90's, so I wasn't expecting more than what I was given by Nintendo. I never bought into the "future" hype from all those ads. The fact is the Super Nintendo was an EXTENSION of the NES while the N64 tried to be something entirely new and different adventuring into a realm of 3D dimensional space. Kids who grew up with Nintendo before '96 became older, and expected Nintendo to age along with their tastes.... the N64 didn't. Nintendo offered the same material in a whole different design on a whole different controller, and these older kids now in their teens were put off by the image of the Nintendo 64. This began a new era of gaming, the 2D platformer became dead. The N64 was a big plunge into open world sandbox environments and personally I don't think most Super Nintendo kids were ready for that jump. The gaming experience is vastly different, I notice it more now going back to play the NES and SNES. The "feel" of playing is just in another ballpark.

In addition Playstation 1 titles have a closer association to the style of Super Nintendo than the N64. Nintendo teens chose the PS1 because it progressed in tastes just like they had. I'm sick of people ragging on the N64 in a passive aggressive manner, the host from this video is a prime example. He gave a bunch of backhanded compliments because he was an older teen by the time the N64 had released, and the N64's early lineup is mostly child friendly material. He matured, the console didn't. Many would disagree but overall the N64 is a kid's console. The marketing campaigns reflect that.
I think I'm going to make a video on this debate, ha it's a good subject.
Edited by TNT737373, Oct 31 2012, 11:57 AM.

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply