Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (36,919 Views)
Agent of Ligar
Member Avatar
Established Member
I've mainly been playing Perfect Dark (which I purchased furing Fall 2011, so just a few months over a year ago from today) for the past few months, experimenting with new multiplayer scenarios. However, I recently (I think it was actually this weekend) beat Challenge 30. I had previously beaten every Challenge except 27 and 30 before my OEM stick became gritty during last August (which is when I joined the forum), at which point I had to resort to buying and using the GC-style replacement stick, which is what I am currently using. Though I still can't perform as well as I used to with this stick instead of the OEM stick, I decided to try Challange 30 with it recently anyway, and I succeeded (Double Maulers FTW --- seriously, that gun is so awesome in the hands of a skilled player --- it is easily in my top 5.......nay, top 3 guns in the game***).

In fact, I succeeded twice.............funny story: After a failed attempt to beat the challenge, I forgot to reselect the challenge from the challenge menu, and instead I started the match again with the same settings, unknowingly participating in a match that could not count toward beating the challenge even though it had the same settings. Anyway, I performed so well during this attempt that I (and my team simulant) managed to gain 7 points before the enemy team started scoring. That game ended with my team winning 10 to 6. I then checked the challenge the menu to see the star indicating challenge completion, but was surprised to see no star. I was upset and confused until I finally figured out what I had done. Afterward, I attempted the challenge again and managed to win 10 to 6 again, but without the initial 7 to 0 lead (it was a back-and-forth match during this last attempt).

So, now, all that remains for me to completely, fully, 100% beat the game (if not counting co-op missions and co-op challenges) is to beat Challenge 27 (I hate it so much) and a few mission times to unlock some cheats (I think I've beaten most of them by now). The question is whether I will be able to do so without upgrading this joystick. I'm guessing I will need to do so for the mission times.

Fun fact: The first mission I ever attempted to beat on Perfect Agent difficulty was Mr. Blonde's Revenge. I succeeded within a few hours too (maybe even less than that -- it might have been around an hour). Doing so made nearly all of the other levels seem easy. There were some others that were quite difficult. I admit that War! drove me crazy on Perfect Agent difficulty for a full day, or maybe even two, until I figured out the proper method for beating it (which included turning off the auto aim for that mission -- those who have beaten it know what I mean).

***My favorite Perfect Dark weapon has always been and will always be the K7 Avenger set to secondary (threat detector -- flashless) mode.

I have a POLL regarding satisfaction with current N64 joystick options:
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7372890/1/

"Your responses today shape the options of tomorrow."
Responses are appreciated. Feel free to post any ideas too.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply