Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Play an N64 game...; Tell us what N64 games you've been playing!
Topic Started: Apr 4 2008, 03:54 PM (39,530 Views)
Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
After beating the one of the hardest n64 games, Body Harvest, and finally beating Mike Tyson in Punch out for the first time, I needed to take a break with something easy. So I've been playing South Park.

The game is mindless and really bland. Seems that it was just made solely to advertise the show. But I'm enjoying it, mostly because I am watching South Park as I play it. It's an interesting piece of the shows history at least. I got it for a dollar in a thrift store so it's hard to really complain about it. It is bad objectively but I am having some fun with it. Stick with The Stick of Truth of you want an actual good South Park game though.

I will say this game reminds me of how crude South Park used to be. Not that it isn't now, but it seems more high-brow now and a lot more effort into saying something about relevant topics and having satire. I remember when South was lampooned for being nothing but toilet humor and shock value. Good Times.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 16 2017, 07:04 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'm not sure if there is a better thread to post this idea, but I would really like your guys input on this.

Last Month I did a second play through of Rocket Robot on Wheels. I decided to mess around with the cheat codes because they let you manipulate the games extremely good physics engine, allowing you to jump super high and turn the gravity down, thus completely breaking the game and whatnot.

Last Month on the n64 subreddit I posted a topic where I described that playing the game with the Super Speed cheat actually improved the gameplay immensely and I wanted others to try it for themselves. Unfortunately I didn't get any responses.

One of the biggest complaints I see about the game is that Rocket feels heavy and that the environments have a lot of empty space. So getting around takes a long time especially if you have to comb over the level several times for things you missed or you die and have to go back to the starting pad. I can see this potentially ruining the game for many people as this slowness is one of my biggest problems with certain other 3D platformers.

So here is a little request I'd like to make.

If someone here has played the game before, or someone is looking to play it for the first time can you please try playing it with and without the super speed cheat code and tell me if it improves your overall game experience? Here's how to activate it.

Super Speed: From the pause menu use the d-pad and press Z, Right, Down, Up, Down, R, Up, Down, Left, Up.

What this does is essentially triple the speed at which Rocket rolls on his wheel.
The easiest way to describe it is like the turbo talon trotters from Banjo-Tooie, but instead of taking off at full speed like Kazooie does, Rocket still takes time to start up his momentum from a stand still which ensures that you can still accurately control him on narrow platforms, and you can always go a bit slower by tilting the stick less. He also does not roll for longer, when you let go of the stick he still stops just as quickly as when he is traveling normal speed.

This cuts down travel time immensely and doesn't hinder the gameplay in any way. Since your speed decreases very quickly after you jump, you will never overshoot jumps by going too fast, keeping the games challenge completely intact. It just gives you the opportunity to control the games pace, it can make the game a much quicker twitch based game at certain points, but you can still slow down and be methodical if you want to. Plus you can always turn it on and off at will with the disable all cheats code.

Disable all cheats: Pause the game and press Up, Z, Right, Up, Down, R, Up, Down, Down, Up.

I'll also recommend the super swing cheat because it lets you keep your momentum in the grapple swinging sections by making to physics a bit less heavy as well.

Super Swing: Pause and press Left, up, Left, down, Z, down, down, Z, down, Left.

Here is a full list of cheats if you want to use any more.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/n64/198506-rocket-robot-on-wheels/cheats

I hope someone enjoys this as much as I did. Also if there is a more fitting thread, please let me know. I wonder if this would make a good speedrun for the challenge thread as well?
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 8 2016, 04:46 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
D.J Cat
Sep 9 2016, 05:17 AM
Rocket, that game got good reviews, another one I'd like to play one day.
Yeah it did, but it seemed to fall into obscurity as the n64 declined. The review section of this website doesn't seem to have a review for it. I don't know if I have the time to write a review that does the game justice but I will say this. I prefer this 3D platformer more than Banjo-Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, and Rayman 2, which are all games that get talked about and praised much more. Unfortunately it is kinda uncommon here in the U.S. Thankfully it is still pretty cheap, and easy to spot because of the red cartridge. Typing about it just makes me want to play it again. But I'm taking a break from N64 for a while.

I've beaten like 10 games in the past 2 months. Shadowgate 64, 3 playthroughs of Chameleon Twist 2, Blues Brothers 2000, Body Harvest, Indiana Jones Infernal Machine, 130 rounds of Rampage World Tour, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, A third playthrough of Goemon's Great Adventure, and I'm still slowly chipping away at Hybrid Heaven month by month. I've been playing that one off and on for about 6 months now. It's such a long game. Part of it is because it is so tedious that I can't play it for long, but it's not a bad game. If anyone wants a decent opinion on any of the games listed, feel free to ask me.

Edit: Oh yeah and South Park. Well technically. I'd say I beat it. I got to the outside of the mall on the final level right before the final boss and my n64 for the first time ever, reset itself. Poor thing may be finally giving out on me. I didn't save the game either so my only option is to play through the whole game again. And uh... that ain't freakin happening.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 10 2016, 01:08 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
If you are going to play Body Harvest I would highly recommend having a walkthrough on standby. It makes parts of the game much less tedious if you get stuck, the game wants things done in a very specific way most of the time.

Also remember if you are playing the PAL version you have to play on Hero difficulty or else you can't beat the whole game. If it is a North American copy you can just play on easy.

For some reason no one has ever documented what the difference is between easy and hard. I'm writing a review currently so I've been playing through again on easy and hard ( with cheat codes so it doesn't take forever) and the only difference is that you take less damage from the bugs. Literally everything else is the same. Ammo pickups are the same, harvesters are just as aggressive, water still kills you quickly, the amount of enemies is the same, the amount of damage weapons do is the same.

To be honest, playing on easy might make the game a whole lot less frustrating, although not being able to survive long actually is one of the cool things about the game. You are the underpowered one and you just have to deal with the consequences if you die, which is having to play the level for 30 more minutes. It gives you a lot of incentive not to die, but the trade off is the huge amount of frustration dying can cause. It's up to your preference though.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
italia64
Sep 20 2016, 06:02 PM
Thanks Shellshocker18, always wondered what was the differences between Hero and the easier difficulty.
You're welcome. I'm surprised that in 20 years no reviewer took the time to figure that out, at least none that I can find.

I hope Tigger's Honey Hunt was good therapy after Body Harvest. You say it was fun, but something tells me I wouldn't like it if I played it. I do remember that the graphics were pretty unique though. Lots of Oranges and Purples in the backround.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
So I've started playing Lode Runner 3-d after a long hiatus (like a week at max) of not really playing any n64 games for fun. It's not bad at all. I actually quite like it for how cheap it was.

Why does every infogrames game have a terrible frame rate? This game is a few blocks, a couple blocky character models, and a flat backround. It should be like 60 fps but instead it looks about like 15. I don't know if this is because of a stuttering camera or if the game actually is running that bad, but whatever the reason this game is kinda hurting my eyes.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 23 2016, 12:06 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Thats great that you can enjoy it. It seems alot of people had similar experiences with Pilotwings 64, but is one of the very few n64 games I just can't get into. Mostly because the whole point seems to be maximising score which isn't very relaxing too me. I can tell it was impressive when the system first came out but something about it seems more antiquated than most games to me. I have more fun just flying around in Grand Theft Auto 5. So many games now have flying thats more complex than all of Pilotwings and huge detailed worlds and they usually have other things to do on top of that. It's just not for me.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Shellshocker18
Sep 20 2016, 05:31 AM
For some reason no one has ever documented what the difference is between easy and hard. I'm writing a review currently so I've been playing through again on easy and hard ( with cheat codes so it doesn't take forever) and the only difference is that you take less damage from the bugs. Literally everything else is the same. Ammo pickups are the same, harvesters are just as aggressive, water still kills you quickly, the amount of enemies is the same, the amount of damage weapons do is the same.
So to add on to what I said about Body Harvest's hard and easy mode last week, I actually found another difference between easy and hard. On easy, either certain weapons do more damage, or the aliens do not get stronger as the game goes on.

This is most noticable in America with the shotgun, as aliens are usually killed in one shot on easy while on hard it takes 2-3 shots at the same distance. Still, I'm not sure if it's the aliens health or the weapons damage that's different. The pistol and machine gun seem to do the same amount of damage, if there is a difference it is miniscule compared to the shotgun.

It seems like on easy Body Harvest stays the same difficulty throughout while on hard the aliens get stronger as the game goes on. I wish I could see the games programming files to confirm it, but that's what it seems like.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
No no. You're right. Mickey Speedway isn't bad at all. It just came out a little too late to matter. It's just a little too similar to Mario Kart so most people would rather play Mario Kart. I still like it though. The dollar to fun ratio is quite high compared to paying 40 dollars for Mario Kart 64.

Welcome to the boards by the way. Enjoy your stay :mario:
Edited by Shellshocker18, Oct 4 2016, 05:40 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
So in the spirit of the season, or rather just because I got the game recently, I'm playing Resident Evil 2 for the first time in 8-9 years. I've made it past the dogs and the guy in the jail cell which is further than I ever made it when I was younger.

This game is awesome though and the n64 version controls great on the n64's d-pad and has great visuals especially with the expansion pak, except for the fmvs looking worse than a Sega CD game but I can forgive that.

I really hope Capcom gives the same respect to the remake that they did with the first games remake for the GameCube.

By the way for all you PlayStation plus members, Resident Evil remake is free this month for ps4. Get it please. It's one of my favorite games ever. Not being able to quick turnaround like in REmake and 0 is really getting to me though and I refuse to use the 3D controls.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I got my Jet Force Gemini for $3 as well, years ago. Everytime I play I'm like " That was fun, I'll play it more when I have more time." That's how most Rareware games are. They usually have so much depth or content that they take a lot to get into. The only 2 I've beaten completely are Banjo-Kazooie and Mickey Speedway USA, and that one almost doesn't count. I've played all of them pretty extensively but something always makes me put them down instead of finishing them.

Jet Force Gemini is one I really do want to get into hardcore at some point though. The shooting and movement are so satisfying. It feels like a twin stick shooter in 3D once you get used to moving and aiming at the same time.

Can't say I've ever given Shadowman a fair shot. The opening cutscene actually had truly good voice acting.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Oct 5 2016, 01:14 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I did manage to beat Wind Waker but it was a chore for me. Had I played it when I was younger I may have liked it more, but it was the last 3D Zelda I played and the gameplay felt so stale and boring at that point. Twilight Princess was the first 3d one I played and I remember not wanting that game to end, even though I think that game is longer than Wind Waker.

I think extending gameplay, padding as it's often called, is only good if it involves doing something fun that you were already doing within the game in the first place.

I'm not sure how it works in Jet Force Gemini, but as long as I get to shoot things during the Tribal hunt I'm sure that part isn't as bad as people say. At least you get to keep shooting which is the whole fun of the game.

Have I heard you mention somewhere that you like Banjo-Tooie more than Kazooie for that reason? Sometimes I feel bad that I haven't beat Banjo-Tooie since Banjo-Kazooie is one of my favorite games and 3D platformers are one of my favorite genres but I just can't do it.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
That's a big problem I've had with Banjo-Tooie as well. I was halfway through Grunty Industries and if I try and go back to it I know I'm gonna be completely lost. That's why I'm trying to complete Resident Evil 2's speedrun and A rank challenges before I stop playing. If I do put it down I'll forget where all the items and enemies are. Once I do finish it I've got a few options for games to play next.

Someone sold off their entire N64 collection to my game store. I have never seen so much n64 stuff in real life all at once so it was a real sight to behold. I managed to nab a couple games for free. Mischief Makers, Fighters Destiny, some basketball game, and Knife Edge Nose Gunner.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Oct 17 2016, 06:55 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I would join in the competition, if only I could actually beat the game first. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark both take lots of time to learn the controls, ai, mission objectives etc. so I've always put them down only to return and have to restart the game because I suck horribly. I've never made it far in either anyway.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Well I haven't been active around here for about a week because I have been busy with Fighters Destiny, a game I was interested in for a while. Fighters Destiney is a game where you can't delete your save data and the copy I got still had 2 characters who had never been unlocked, Robert and Joker
Posted Image
Here is the completed character select screen. Unlocking Robert wasn't really hard, but the Joker was the hardest thing I've ever accomplished on any Nintendo 64 game. You must defeat 100 enemies in a row in the survival mode with out letting the opponent score even 1 point on you. It requires lots of skill and more luck than what I would deem as fair.

Posted Image
After playing for a week straight I freaking did it. This took nearly an entire week of playing nonstop.

Posted Image
Yes that 99 is real. You would think it was soul crushing but I just got right back into the fight. I'm done with Fighters Destiney for a while. But all I can say is thank god it's over. My recommendation would be just to use a gameshark because it is absolutely not worth the effort to do it legit. The game itself is great, the best exclusive fighting game on the system in fact, but the single player modes are very frustrating.

In other news, I'm on the third world of Mischief Makers. It is really good but I expected that much from Treasure. Fighters Destiney was a pleasant surprise because I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
So funny thing, I've played Nintendo 64 since around 1999 and only ever beaten 2 RareWare games, Banjo-Kazooie and Mickey's Speedway USA. Yes I'm serious. The fact I've been able to find the time for games like South Park and Blues Brothers 2000 but none of these classics is unfortunate. I wanted to ask you guys which one I should play after I get done with Mischief Makers. I've played all these games for probably less than 4 hours each but I've played them all a little bit.

Posted Image

Banjo-Tooie isn't on here because I've got to Grunty Industries on that one and probably won't beat it for a few more years and I don't own Donkey Kong 64 at all, but I'll play whichever one you guys want out of these 6. Can I set up a poll without making a new post cause this is kind of a small thing to make a new post for?

Actually I just said screw it and decided to play through every single one of them before the end of 2016. When I'm done I'll make a big post talking about what I thought of each one of them.

Edited by Shellshocker18, Nov 15 2016, 08:01 PM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Well since you're the only voter that'll probably be what I'll go with. Thanks for the suggestion Cat, I need someone to hold me to it or I may back out halfway through like I usually do with Rare games, and they deserve more of my attention than I give them. I imagine Blast Corps probably the easiest of the bunch to get into. I'm working on Mischief Makers S ranks right now and I'm definatly gonna need something simple to cool down with after this is over, whenever that may be.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Nov 4 2016, 11:30 AM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'm sure I'd enjoy Blast Corps at least somewhat. I've never really played an n64 game that I didn't like because of it feeling dated. I feel like I've played plenty of games that really haven't aged well even by N64 standards and still enjoyed them like Body Harvest. Besides, age is a hard thing to pin down especially when talking about N64. Early 3D is completely dated in the eyes of 99% of people but the novelty of it all is pretty appealing to me. From what little I've played Blast Corps just seems really simplistic, but it seems like it would be a nice mindless romp.

I will count your vote towards Conker though. I have been too hard on it in the past. I should definatly give it a real shot again

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Yeah so I've finally finished conquering Mischief Makers and decimating all the games S Ranks. This is probably the hardest game I've beaten since F-Zero GX. I still say Body Harvest the hardest N64 game to finish beating the final level, but as far as optional challenges go these S ranks take lots off time and dedication. I hilighted which levels I thought were the hardest in each world.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

People who speedrun this game are out of their minds because this game almost requires three hands and is guaranteed to cause carpal tunnel and arthritis. Seriously I almost gave up on trying to S rank Blockman Rises, which is a blemish on a game that is near perfect. I'm not surprised that this game got mixed reception when it was new but I really think this game is underrated even with the praise it gets. I think it the best 2d platformer the n64 has to offer in terms of it being an evolution of the genre. Goemon's Great Adventure and Yoshi's Story are great games but could easily be translated to work on Super Nintendo without affecting too much while this one feels like something that could only exist on Nintendo 64. I'm never deleting this save file that's for sure. Now I'm gonna go relax with some Silent Hill 3 ( yes that's my idea of relaxing ).

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
italia64

I love hard challenges, I'll definitely try this. Thanks for sharing!
Good luck with that if you decide to try. It is certainly difficult so ask me if you need any tips because I'm now a certified Mischief Makers Master. I'd love for you to join the club!

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Someone's been busy with a lot of good games. I wish I could add to the conversation but I haven't played Ready 2 Rumble since it came out on ps2 and I've never played the n64 version. I should get back into though because it was a ton of fun even if I did suck at it. I never unlocked Micheal Jackson :(

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I finally decided to play all the Rareware games that I've owned forever but never played. I figured it was about time I see what all the fuss was about so here's the order I beat them

1. Conker's Bad Fur Day, November 10th
2. 007 Goldeneye ( secret agent ), November 13th
3. Blast Corps, November 13th
4. Diddy Kong Racing, November 16th
5. Jet Force Gemini, November 22nd
6. Perfect Dark ( secret agent ), November 23rd

And here's the order I enjoyed them from least favorite to favorite.

6. Blast Corps

I find it odd that of all the games this was the one I couldn't stand to beat. The game was simple mindless fun at first. I was having fun running things over while listening to the awsome soundtrack ( I'm actually in love with the stage select screen music ) But once I got to the hard levels I started losing intrest fast. It became more of a trial and error puzzle game which annoyed me. I did beat hard levels but now I'm apparently supposed to go back through the levels and destroy the rest of the buildings and activate those lights to unlock the rest of the levels which I really don't want to do because it isn't challenging or fun, just tedious. I don't want to say I outright dislike this game because that isn't true and I'll probably go back to it later and eventually love it, but the fact I couldn't beat it in one time frame puts it at the bottom.

5. Conker's Bad Fur Day
Posted Image

I understand why people love this game and I actually respect it a whole lot. The countercultural humor is still unique for a console game especially from a Nintendo licensed game. It's one of the few games that pushes the n64 to its technical limits what with the graphics, voice acting, cutscenes, and animations on display. I have a wierd affinity for backround art in video games and Conker has some of the best on the system. I think everything adds up to an overall enjoyable experience for most people, which is where it gets most of its praise. Unfortunately for me the gameplay is the weakest point and the humor is not my style so I had very little enjoyment outside of the visuals. I don't think anyone really wants to hear it since it's such a beloved game and my criticisms aren't going to change anyone's mind, or even be interesting, but it's not a game for me. I kinda like the multiplayer though.

4. Jet Force Gemini
Posted Image

Speaking of fun multiplayer, I haven't found someone to try it with me but it seems like Jet Force Gemini has perfect mechanics for a fun multiplayer mode. The single player was mostly fun too. It feels almost like twin stick shooter when you're in motion. The great sound design is enhanced by the surround sound and it perfectly balances on the line of great graphics vs frame rate. I think for a lot of people it can drag on forever. If someone bought this game in 1999, they would probably be playing it for months before completing it. I didn't mind the tribal hunt but I can see how it could be infuriating without a guide handy. I actually thought the Floyd missions were worse.

3. Perfect Dark
Posted Image

Many of problems with Goldeneye were pretty much solved. Simple things like voice acting and detailed environments make the whole experience feel less antiquated. It feels slower paced for the most part which is fine but I found that the first playthrough was more frustrating than Goldeneye because some of the objectives are not super clear on the first playthrough of a mission. I think repeat playthroughs will treat this game better, I owe italia a Perfect Agent run anyhow.

2. Goldeneye
Posted Image

I was really happy that despite how rough around the edges this game is I could still got a lot of fun out of it. There were some annoying parts like the lack of transparency on how the AI spawns in bunker 2, the frame rate, and a few to many sessions of peek-abo against super blurry textures. But pulling off a perfect run of a hard level after many tries was so sayisfying. It's a lot more run and gun than Perfect Dark which explains why people like to speedrun the game. Eventually I may throw my hat into the Goldeneye challenge thread but I'm not saying I'm any good at this game. I imagine 00 agent is ridiculously difficult given how often I died on secret agent but I will definitely give it a go soon. I'm glad I can play the game for the first time nearly 20 years after release and enjoy it so much, despite the oddly large number of people who feel the need to proclaim it doesn't hold up.

1. Diddy Kong Racing
Posted Image

At first I wasnt enthralled with the game but after the first 5 races the game became much more than I expected. The coin challenges and boss races required a nice mix of skill and strategy and I really like the weapon upgrade system. I've don't have much else to say really. It has the least amount of odvious flaws out of these games so it's the easiest to have a simple good time with. I'm in the process of unlocking Tick Tock using only Banjo ( Because I refuse to play any other character ) and am finding the time trials easier than the ones in Mickey Speedway USA which is funny. Still bloody hard though.

My goal was to play all my Rareware games before the end of the year and I managed to do that in only 3 weeks. While making a post for the games beaten in 2016 thread it struck me how many great games the n64 has. The fact that I could go years without playing some of the consoles most acclaimed games and still find dozens of enjoyable games to fill that time is testament to how great this console really is. Sorry if this thread has turned into Shellshocker18 Beats em all! I'm just having a good time.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Nov 24 2016, 10:00 AM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
@D.J Cat Yeah I think the Banjo-Kazooie games are funnier. Not side splitting or anything but I enjoy the lighthearted cheekiness of it all. Same goes for Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. I still need to find a copy of Wetrix because I think it looks neat.

@kartmaster I only ever played a handful of N64 games when the console was new. 8 or so. I've had many fun new experiences over the past 2-3 years with my n64. Speaking of games I'm playing for the first time I started playing Pokémon Snap last night. It is as relaxingly enjoyable as people say, though I haven't found an opportunity to see if the games recognizes the rule of thirds. I also finally found a copy of Starshot Space Circus Fever. It's another game I've never played in a genre that I really like. I played it for about 10 minutes just to test it and uh... man oh man it doesn't look good so far. I can see why the game has no positive reviews anywhere on the internet, not even for the supposedly superior pc version. I'll play it more someday soon but I don't see it getting much better
Edited by Shellshocker18, Nov 26 2016, 12:26 PM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Dang italia you have more boxes than I have games... I want them :blasphemy bat:

But seriously , multiplayer is one of the best things about N64 gaming so It sounds like you had a good time with some good games. I will definitely put more time into Perfect Dark and Goldeneye soon. I do usually keep walkthroughs on standby but I don't use them for the entire game. I play the game like normal trying to find everything myself and only use the walkthrough if I get stuck for a long time. Like in the final main mission in Perfect Dark there was a crack on a wall that couldn't be blown up, but there was another wall you could blow up that had no crack on it. That really stumped me. I had to restart the mission several times because I ran out of grenades.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Nov 27 2016, 07:38 AM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
It would be rad if we could all play together. I'd bring Gauntlet and Fighters Destiny and throw down with all of you. ( Just ordered Fighters Destiny 2. Super Stocked :D )

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I took a small break from n64 for some ps2 action and in that time I ordered Fighters Destiny 2 since there's virtually no chance of me finding it in the wild. I've heard that its slightly worse than the first game and that it's a terrible sequel because it adds almost nothing new but I'm excited for it nonetheless. In the meantime while I'm waiting for it to arrive I went back to the first game and finished the master challenge with the rest of the characters meaning I have now unlocked all the Fighters and moves in the game. I am really surprised how under the radar this game is. I really can't stress enough how much of a hidden gem this game is. I really recommend everyone try and pick up the first game because I think quality like this won't go unnoticed forever. Usually fighting games tend to increse in price similarly to rpg's but this one has slipped through the cracks because of the system it's on. I'm always saying this but I think this games in my top 20, then again lots of games are fighting for space on my shelf.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Nice one italia. You seem to have a talent when it comes to realistic racing games. I'm only good at kart racers! I'll be spending the rest of my year playing some stuff I've already played; Perfect Dark on Perfect agent, snowboard kids 2, maybe I'll even start finally playing the Harvest Moon I bought like 8 months ago. Until then I've got two more games to beat before I close out the year, which I'll be done with very soon. Both start with the letter S and are average at best
Edited by Shellshocker18, Dec 5 2016, 09:53 PM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I've ended my year of gaming on a nice sour note ( unless I play something else before the end of the year, which knowing myself is pretty likely )

Starshot Space Circus Fever
Posted Image

I pretty much agree with Glenn Plant's opinion of this game. The camera is probably the worst of any 3D platformer I've ever played and that's saying something. The n64 version also has a constantly chugging frame rate which is annoying in a game of this genre. The games best aspect is it's writing. It's very adult for a 3D platformer, and by adult I mean full of profanity and cynical dialogue. Seriously can't believe this games rated E. The game even has a really bad ending for our main character, setting up for a sequel that never came. Marvelous. The only other notable thing I can think of is that it uses an earlier version of the stretchy animation tech that Jak and Daxter is famous for using. But other than those 2 things I can't say much positive. Even if the camera and frame rate were fixed most of the games levels and objectives are annoying or dull aside from a few short segments. There were too many other options for 3D platformers at the time so this game made no impact at all and was quickly forgotten about.

Star Wars Shadows of the Empire
Posted Image

Shadows of The Empire on the other hand was a huge game. It was the first major action/adventure game on the console and was n64 console exclusive because of Nintendo's partnership with Lucasarts. There's even a stormtrooper on the n64s box along side Mario and Bowser. Of course having never seen a Star Wars Movie, I just wanted a good game like Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine was. Yeah I played on medium and that makes me a scrub but this game is hard even on normal for some stupid reasons, and it has nothing to do with how clunky it is. This game has a propensity to put enemies directly at the tops and bottoms of shafts and elevators and directly around corners. The game doesn't give you much health and if you die you have to start the whole level over. You know at least Body Harvest gives you a fighting chance and If you die it was your own fault. The bosses are all frankly terrible in my eyes. All poorly designed so you have to cheese them with boring tactics to win. Really not a game I can see myself ever wanting to play again. sorry if I sound super negative about this one but I really didn't like it.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Nice job Italia. I've been keeping an eye out for that one because I've heard it's the better of the 2 n64 bust-a-move titles. I imagine with your everdrive you'll be more determined then ever to beat 'me all eh? I purchased an sd2snes last Christmas and while it's cool to have nearly ever Snes game without having to pay insane prices, I feel like having too many game options makes it harder to sit down and play anything. That's why I'm hesitant to buy an n64 everdrive even though it would be nice to play some of the expensive/Japanese titles. Still I hope you enjoy your everdrive. :yeah:
Edited by Shellshocker18, Dec 10 2016, 01:20 PM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I never knew the North American version ran smoothly with the expansion pak. Wierd too since that version came out first and runs better then the pal version. It's still way too expensive over here for me to want to play it though.

As many times as I've played Banjo-Kazooie ( 2 1/2 times ) I've never tried to speedrun it but I probably should at some point. I did a speedrun Rocket Robot on Wheels and it was really fun.

I would play Banjo-Kazooie but I started taking part in the TAKE THE STAGE thing and have been playing lots of games I've never played which I'll talk about when I'm done with them. In the meantime I'm still chipping away at Perfect Agent mode in Perfect Dark. I'm up to the crash site mission and I took a break by doing all the firing range challenges which was surprisingly relaxing.

I'm thinking of maybe getting an everdrive in January when they go on sale ( like they did last year right after I bought my sd2snes for $220 :angry: ) There are simply too many good games I'm missing out on because I don't want to pay for them, especially Japanese stuff.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Dec 12 2016, 04:33 PM.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: