Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Game of the Year 2008
Topic Started: Nov 30 2008, 09:19 PM (2,153 Views)
alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Okay, we'll close the topic and count up the votes in two days. If you want to change your vote you still have time. :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

migulic
Member Avatar
>_< I'm finally going to be getting some of this year's big games on Wednesday (Prince of Persia and Fable II certainly, maybe Fallout 3, might borrow Gears 2). Oh well, I guess that my vote will have to stay with The World Ends With You then. Apollo Justice, after completing it, comes a close second.

After looking through the votes, I see they're all over the place anyway :) In fact, there's only one game to get more than one first place vote... Now I know what it's like for the major gaming sites/mags to decide on GOTY :)
Posted Image

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: That's for blasphemy! - 20G

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
^ I know what you mean. Some of the GoTY awards are just silly though... For example, Joystiq made Fable 2 their game of the year. Wow. It's an alright game but I'd never have thought of it as game of the year... too many flaws. -_-

migulic
Member Avatar
So was there actually a winner this year? I know I myself said it was almost impossible find one game that got multiple votes, but were there any results posted?
Posted Image

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: That's for blasphemy! - 20G

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
migulic
Feb 8 2009, 03:35 PM
So was there actually a winner this year? I know I myself said it was almost impossible find one game that got multiple votes, but were there any results posted?
Not yet. I need to get my spreadsheet out and tally up votes. It's weird we've got such a wide variation this year... Last year Super Mario Galaxy won by a considerable margin.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I guess there just weren't any stand-out games for 2008. That could either mean that every game was good, or every game sucked, depending how you want to look at it.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Feb 8 2009, 04:26 PM
I guess there just weren't any stand-out games for 2008.
I think it's the opposite; there were so many stand-out titles in 2008 that it's difficult to choose. Our demographic changed in 2008 as well. In 2007 most people here had Wii's and were playing the Wii killer app which then became GotY. This year we've got less people with Wii's, and more people with xbox 360s and PS3s... which has made choosing GotY that bit more difficult.

So many more options.

That's a good thing though. Except for my spreadsheet. >_<

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Feb 8 2009, 05:01 PM
I think it's the opposite; there were so many stand-out titles in 2008 that it's difficult to choose.

That can't work. If there are lots of stand-out titles then there are really no stand-out titles as there is nothing for them to stand out from.

You're probably right about how last year people were into Wii. However, I don't think it is that there are less people with Wii this year, but rather, more people have an XBox 360 and/or PS3. That means people have 2 or 3 systems and access to more games than before.

Also I didn't even have a Wii in 2007 and was just going on assumption when voting for Super Mario Galaxy. :-8

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Feb 8 2009, 05:18 PM
alxbly
Feb 8 2009, 05:01 PM
I think it's the opposite; there were so many stand-out titles in 2008 that it's difficult to choose.

That can't work. If there are lots of stand-out titles then there are really no stand-out titles as there is nothing for them to stand out from.
Errr, no. There's been hundreds of games released this year. Just because the AAA titles are in double figures this year doesn't mean there's nothing for them to stand out against, it just means that it's not so clear what is the overall best game.

Anywayz...

The votes are counted. The results are in.

Each game rated as 1st got 3 points, 2nd got 2 points and 3rd got 1 point.

Here's the spreadsheet showing everyone's votes:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/alxbly/web/N64Forevergoty2008.jpg

And here's the positions:

Joint 3rd place with 3 points are:

Apollo Justice
Chrono Trigger DS
Dead Space
Guitar Hero World Tour
Little Big Planet
Mario Kart Wii
Persona 3
Rock Band 2

Joint 2nd place with 5 points are:

Fallout 3
Gears of War 2
Super Smash Bros Brawl

But 1st place, with 7 points, is...

GTA IV.

Posted Image

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Feb 8 2009, 05:53 PM
Just because the AAA titles are in double figures this year doesn't mean there's nothing for them to stand out against, it just means that it's not so clear what is the overall best game.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then. I think it's just an incorrect use of words; if there are so many games, they shouldn't be described with a relative term such as "stand-out" and should instead be referred to as AAA titles, great games, special experiences, or something other of the such.

It doesn't matter anyway because you're all a bunch of losers for not voting Mario Kart Wii. Or any game featuring Toad and Birdo really, they're all great simply by that alone.

EDIT: By the way, that N64ever label looks really wrong on the box of an XBox 360 game. :nope:
Edited by Mop it up, Feb 8 2009, 06:08 PM.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Just shows that we're a broad-minded forum, Mop. That's quite healthy if you ask me. :P

I see what you mean about stand out titles, or AAA or whatever. We'll need to disagree because I think that having a lot of extremely good and unique games doesn't cheapen how good they are individually. They can be AAA or stand out as long as they are mind blowingly good and genuinely do stand out. And I counted a lot of games like that last year.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Feb 8 2009, 06:20 PM
Just shows that we're a broad-minded forum, Mop. That's quite healthy if you ask me.
When it comes to online games that's bad. I still haven't found an online game which we both like and have the means of playing. <_<

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Feb 8 2009, 06:30 PM
alxbly
Feb 8 2009, 06:20 PM
Just shows that we're a broad-minded forum, Mop. That's quite healthy if you ask me.
When it comes to online games that's bad. I still haven't found an online game which we both like and have the means of playing. <_<
Hopefully we can fix that with Mario Power Tennis. :)

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
How I wish we could! Unfortunately Mario Power Tennis doesn't have an online mode; I'm not sure what has lead you to think it does.

The only possibility I see in the pipeline is The Conduit, and that's assuming it isn't region-restricted.

« Previous Topic · Other Topic Archives · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: