Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Post when you buy or sell a Nintendo 64.
Topic Started: Jan 25 2009, 07:20 AM (1,205 Views)
macN64
Member Avatar
Migulic, Dagoss and now Wrath Oskvro. Everyone's seems to be selling. Looking over those topics, storage space, money, and general lack of use seem to be the reasons for selling. :(

So, what about the rest of us? How likely are you to sell yours? :n64:

Perhapes you've already sold it, or are in the process of doing so.
On the other hand, maybe you're very attached to it, and would never dream of selling.
Maybe you've just bought one and have a whole lot of fun to look forward to.

Time to see how loyal this community really is. :omg:
Edited by macN64, Jan 25 2009, 11:02 AM.
Youtube
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Well, we are in an economic recession... These things happen but it's no big deal.

Personally, I think I'll always own at least one N64 but I might sell of some of the N64 games I don't play. I wonder how many of the people that have sold their N64 plan to use an emulator, the Virtual Console, Xbox Live Arcade, etc, etc, to play the N64 games that they've sold.

What I mean is that you don't necessarily need to own a N64 to be a fan of N64 games. :toad:

Okamikee
Member Avatar
Pwner of n00bz.
My N64 will be in my hands in a few days. I'm very excited and I don't think I'll sell it for a LOOONG time, if at all.
"Only an idiot quotes himself." - Me

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Nice topic, macN64 :)

If it's not the one system I've spent the most time with, the N64 is definitely up there. It was certainly the first system that really defined me as a gamer... well, wait... maybe that honor goes to the SNES. Or original Game Boy. But the N64 definitely evolved me into what I am... especially as far as "collecting" goes. :rollseyes: My biggest collection for any console (and biggest margin between played/unplayed games) is the N64's... and I'd have to take a seriously massive financial crisis to consider selling the console or its games. Never mind that it's all been packed away & left untouched for ~2 years... >_<
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Rayman Legends, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Jan 25 2009, 11:42 AM
What I mean is that you don't necessarily need to own a N64 to be a fan of N64 games.
Yes you do. If you are a fan, you would never sell your Nintendo 64. If you're satisfied with playing N64 games through alternate means, you're nothing but a player of N64 games.

I've never even considered selling my Nintendo 64, nor will I ever. If I'm ever stripped for cash there are plenty of things which I could sell before needing to come to my N64...

:wii: <_<

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Jan 25 2009, 05:28 PM
alxbly
Jan 25 2009, 11:42 AM
What I mean is that you don't necessarily need to own a N64 to be a fan of N64 games.
Yes you do. If you are a fan, you would never sell your Nintendo 64. If you're satisfied with playing N64 games through alternate means, you're nothing but a player of N64 games.
You hear that, nothing but a playa!

:n64: :omg:

Thanks for clearing up exactly what a fan of a console must do. Perhaps these rules should be written down somewhere so that there is no further confusion? There was me thinking that everyone is different and that people could quite easily appreciate games and systems without necessarily owning them but now...

:P

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
I will never sell my N64. NEVER.
Edited by dataDyne, Jan 25 2009, 06:17 PM.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Jan 25 2009, 06:07 PM
Perhaps these rules should be written down somewhere so that there is no further confusion? There was me thinking that everyone is different and that people could quite easily appreciate games and systems without necessarily owning them but now...
You can appreciate them, but you aren't a fan unless you own the console. This is an unwritten rule, I can't write it somewhere as that would be a bit of an oxymoron, don't you think?

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Jan 25 2009, 06:45 PM
You can appreciate them, but you aren't a fan unless you own the console.
How far do we take that? What about the people in China who don't own N64's but own iQue's... are they not fans because they don't own a N64? I'm splitting hairs, but you see what I mean. And without veering too much off topic; you can be a fan of a football team without owning the team, surely a person should own the team if they are gonna be a fan? Tis a crazy capitalist world we live in. ^_^

Regardless, if people appreciate the games then that's what counts. If they choose to play the games on the original console... even better. :n64:

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
The iQue is an official Nintendo product so it counts; a cheap knockoff wouldn't however.

You can't own a football team but you can own merchandise with that team's players and logos on it. If you have such items then you are a fan of that team, otherwise you're just a guy watching football, possibly because you're a fan of football. The same goes for N64 games; if you're playing them through alternate means then you're likely a fan of games, not the N64.

Of course, there's more to being a fan than simply owning an N64. You'll soon see...

Bill
Member Avatar
Mop_it_up
Jan 25 2009, 05:28 PM
If you are a fan, you would never sell your Nintendo 64. If you're satisfied with playing N64 games through alternate means, you're nothing but a player of N64 games.
i have to agree with you. a while back i was playing on emulators and i felt i needed to show my love for all the games i was playing by owning the system. of course there was also the matter of the emulators being extremely buggy, but the showing of the love was a big part of it too. long story short i went on an ebay spree, next thing you know I'm on an n64 forum! anyways i think to play the games on a VC you would still be a loyal Nintendo fan, but i wouldn't want to do that either because they don't have all the games i want to play on the VC.
Posted Image

macN64
Member Avatar
床の猫
Jan 25 2009, 01:53 PM
Nice topic, macN64 :)
I actually said "Yay!" aloud when I read that. :lol:
I thought the line "Time to see how loyal this community really is" may have stirred up some bad feelings, but I seem to have avoided that. So far.

I feel quite reassured looking at these posts. Lots of Never's. :D

As for the "fan" business, mind if I thrown in another (rubbish) analogy?
You can like a band and the music they make, that's fine. But you can't really consider yourself a fan if you don't own some of their records. Right? :unsure:
Youtube

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
macN64
Jan 26 2009, 10:53 AM
As for the "fan" business, mind if I thrown in another (rubbish) analogy?
You can like a band and the music they make, that's fine. But you can't really consider yourself a fan if you don't own some of their records. Right? :unsure:
Mop_it_up
Jan 25 2009, 08:59 PM
You can't own a football team but you can own merchandise with that team's players and logos on it. If you have such items then you are a fan of that team, otherwise you're just a guy watching football, possibly because you're a fan of football. The same goes for N64 games; if you're playing them through alternate means then you're likely a fan of games, not the N64.
Hmmm...

I see where this is going. But to go back to my original post

alxbly

I wonder how many of the people that have sold their N64 plan to use an emulator, the Virtual Console, Xbox Live Arcade, etc, etc, to play the N64 games that they've sold.

So what if someone considers themself to be a fan of the N64 but they just don't have room for one any more. What if they're playing N64 games on the Wii? In that case they would "have the merchandise";a Nintendo console with "team Nintendo" logos. They've bought N64 games from the virtual console, so they "own the records". I don't buy it that they're no longer a fan because they don't own the hardware any more than I would buy that you're not a fan of a band unless you buy their original vinyl records. Because I buy CDs means I'm not a Led Zepplin fan, because it's not the "original" format? Nope.

Mop_it_up
Jan 25 2009, 08:59 PM
The iQue is an official Nintendo product so it counts; a cheap knockoff wouldn't however.
But Wii is also an official Nintendo product, so that must count as well. How come it's alright for a "fan" to emulate games on Nintendo systems but not on PC or elsewhere? Is Banjo Kazooie on the Xbox 360 any less of a N64 game than Super Mario 64 on the Wii?

I'm not arguing, I'm just curious where and why people see boundaries in this.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
The iQue is still Nintendo 64 hardware, it was created solely for N64 games, that's all it can play. It is basically a Nintendo 64. The Wii emulates N64 games and that isn't even its purpose. Though with so few N64 games available for it, an N64 fan in China probably would import an N64.

I think people just go by different definitions of the word "fan". "Fan" was derived from the word "fanatic", a person who is zealously enthusiastic for some cause (originally a religion). Therefore, I believe most people use the term "fan" pretty lightly, just as they do with words like love and hate. Just because somebody considers themselves a fan doesn't mean they actually are one.

Going by this definition, if you are a fan of, in this case, the N64, you would never sell it. If you needed the money you'd find something else to sell instead. If you had limited space you'd get rid of some piece of garbage like a Sega Saturn before you'd even consider trashing your N64. You would not be happy with an emulated version of its games, only the real thing, with the real controller, would satisfy you. Even though N64 ROMs are available for free, you'd gladly pay for the originals; the only exception being unreleased games as for that there is no alternative. You wouldn't take "it's hard to find" as an excuse, you'd do everything in your power to track down original games, systems and accessories.

That is what "fan" means to me. You can appreciate N64 games, you could even be an N64 enthusiast, but one of the minimum requirements of being a fan is that you have to own an actual, pure, unemulated Nintendo 64 system.

Robond
Member Avatar
Established Member
Ive already had 5 :n64: consoles at a time but Ive sold 4 of them because I need money for other games for other consoles but I would never sell my last beloved :n64: I cant live without it. :wub:
Wii + 59 games + 7 Wii Ware + 28 VC! GC + 85 games! N64 + 38 games! DS + 32 games + 9 GBA games!
PS3 Slim + 16 games! PS2 Slim + 35 games! PS1 + 15 games!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

I am currently in the very first step of buying an Nintendo 64. Which is trying to sort out how I plan on getting the system.

Once I get one, I will never sell it. If it was absolutely necessary to save my butt, I would sell my Wii, sell my Sega Genesis, sell my SNES, sell my Nintendo DSi, but never my Nintendo 64.

And I'm a fan of all those systems.
Quote Post Goto Top

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I already have 2 N64s, have been thinking about getting a third one for a while now.
One is set up in my room, one on the balcony, and as such I always have to pack one up when i take it to friends for multiplayer goodness.
Which is 9 out of 10 weekends.
So I want a third 'travel" N64 so I don't have to constantly re-setup the other ones.

I still need to show pics of my gaming setup/s. ^_^

Bayman2004
Hi Everyone ,Im new to the forums, Ive just bought a N64 on ebay and am awaiting delivery (hopefully tomorrow) i already have five games with another 6 coming in the next few days. I had a N64 back when it first came out but i got rid of it to buy another console but i wont be selling this one :n64:

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever, Bayman! Glad to hear you re-purchased a N64. I kept my original system, but traded 10 games away when I was 18 (for a gun :lol: ). I have since bought a few of them again.

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Bayman2004
Feb 27 2011, 02:13 PM
Hi Everyone ,Im new to the forums, Ive just bought a N64 on ebay and am awaiting delivery (hopefully tomorrow) i already have five games with another 6 coming in the next few days. I had a N64 back when it first came out but i got rid of it to buy another console but i wont be selling this one :n64:
What games have you got?

Im sure you won't regret it :)
Posted Image

Bayman2004
Thanks for the warm welcome , Ive got Goldeneye, Pilotwings, Turok, Perfect Dark and Waverace already and Im waiting for Lylat wars and mario64 to be delivered , ive also won tonight on ebay F1 World Championship, Vrally Sanfransisco Rush and Automobile Lamborghini for 6 in a bundle .the console when it arrives also has Star wars Episode 1 Racer and ISS 64 . Hopefully this will be enough for me to play on :n64:

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
Goldeneye and Perfect Dark can keep you occupied for quite some time! :yeah:
Posted Image

Bayman2004
Ive Just won Zelda Ocorina of Time about 5 mins ago for 5.19 too so got alot to go at :n64:

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Bayman2004
Feb 27 2011, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome , Ive got Goldeneye, Pilotwings, Turok, Perfect Dark and Waverace already and Im waiting for Lylat wars and mario64 to be delivered , ive also won tonight on ebay F1 World Championship, Vrally Sanfransisco Rush and Automobile Lamborghini for 6 in a bundle .the console when it arrives also has Star wars Episode 1 Racer and ISS 64 . Hopefully this will be enough for me to play on :n64:
Goldeneye and Mario 64 will keep you entertained for a long time :)

EDIT: Just saw OOT aswell, That will keep you going aswell

Perfect Dark Singleplayer needs the expansion pak to play but Multiplayer still is available

The Expansion Pak also unlocks new levels in some games and gives High Res (Better Graphics) Textures to others
Edited by Matt, Feb 27 2011, 03:13 PM.
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Sounds like you have a great bunch of games heading your way. I spent a few months of my life on some of those!

clarky_n64
Member Avatar
Modding Monster
Welcome to the forums bro. That's some great pick ups you got there. Which game you think your start first?
Clarky & Smithy Creations YouTube Channel

Bayman2004
I'm playing through Goldeneye and Mario64 at the moment, but when Zelda OoT arrives later in the week they both might have to take a back seat :n64:

zar
Member Avatar
I really want the Ice Blue N64... its so awesome. but its $60 on amazon and I'm broke right now, the rising gas price arent helping.
Posted Image

zar
Member Avatar
I just bought an Ice Blue N64!!! I'll post pics when I get it, which will be a couple weeks cause I wont be home. :(
Got it for $61 with shipping on ebay but it came with all cords, an ice blue controller, atomic purple controller, (both controllers are said to have good joysticks) 8 games including Rush, 007, Mario Kart, Tony Hawk 2 and a bunch of average games. I will sell 007 and Mario Kart on ebay since I have them along with the atomic purple controller. I'll sell the average games at a store and all together I should make back around $35 and I still have Rush, Tony Hawk 2, an Ice Blue N64+cords and ice blue controller. So it really only costed $26. Cant wait :D

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I love how the ice blue looks. It is probably my favorite color of N64 :D

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: