Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Promotional VHS tapes (picture heavy); If you like collecting ten-minute ads.
Topic Started: Mar 19 2009, 04:53 AM (9,447 Views)
Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
When was this posted? I must have missed this... I guess I should check this section more often!

Anyways, this is a nice overview of the promotional tapes, which give an idea of what the era was like. I never knew that they sent out that many. I received that N64 Hot News one, but it was destroyed by an angry VCR. It's kind of sad really because that would be a neat thing to have. :(

Franklint

I know that a certain Conker's Bad Fur Day bundle shipped with a VHS as well. I believe Mop_it_up owns this, and a good-quality picture of the tape would be great.
As far as I can tell, the Conker's Bad Fur Day bundle wasn't a retail release; I believe it was a promotional item sent to stores like GameStop. In any case, I can take any picture or pictures of it that you'd like. Do you just want one top shot like the ones you took of the other tapes?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Franklint
May 7 2009, 08:22 AM
I'm still accepting suggestions as to what classifies as a "promo" tape. Should I include the Pokémon ones?
It depends. Were they used to actually promote the games, such as by sending them out to people or retailers, or were they just a bonus included with a product?

Anyways, here's the picture I promised... 9 days after you posted. I have to check this section more often! >_<

Plain tape:

Posted Image

Tape in sleeve:

Posted Image

Tape in box:

Posted Image

The flash didn't go off in that last one, but maybe you could brighten it up in Photoshop or something.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
The Conker tape wasn't sold with a retail game, it was a part of a special pack for retailers so it was meant to be displayed in stores. Therefore it was actually used as a promotional video.

If the Pokémon tapes were included as bonuses for buying something and not actually used to promote the games then I'd say they don't belong in an article about promotional tapes. Now, as to whether you should expand this, I guess that depends on how much more work you wanted to put into it. How many more tapes are there that weren't used as promotional videos?

« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply