Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Promotional VHS tapes (picture heavy); If you like collecting ten-minute ads.
Topic Started: Mar 19 2009, 04:53 AM (9,149 Views)
alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Great guide Franklint, thanks for posting it. :) Our friends at 64DD.net have a great list of VHS promo tapes which includes a few European limited editions VHS tapes which were not listed:

http://64dd.net/modules/specials/?p

Wikipedia also lists other Nintendo Power promo videos but, sadly, doesn't provide any photos:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Power#Promotional_VHS_tapes

I also know that there was a promo Pokemon video in the Pokemon Stadium Limited Edition console bundle and the Pokemon Stadium Battle Set console bundle:

Posted ImagePosted Image

For more information on the bundles, see the Console Editions Guide. However, I'm not sure what was actually on the videos, but I expect it was either game footage or an episode of the Pokemon cartoon. Or maybe both. However, I've never seen either video so I can't confirm what was in them or whether they differed in any way. :( They do look the same, though.

One promo VHS that is missing from all the lists is a rare video given out to developers:

Posted Image

This was a guide to Softimage 3D, an animation and design tool used in N64 and 64DD games development. The Softimage company still exists, you can see their website here:

http://www.softimage.com/

The Softimage promo VHS pictured above was sold on eBay a few years ago alongside numerous other 64DD development guides.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Franklint
Apr 8 2009, 09:18 PM
On the Wikipedia link, the only missing video that I haven't put down is the Pokémon one (the Donkey Kong 64/Jet Force Gemini tape talked about is my HotNewz64 one above). I have seen pictures of the cover of this tape, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be an N64 promo exclusively. Wikipedia groups the N64 promos with the SNES promo, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Pokémon one isn't necessarily just about N64. I'll do some research.
I'm afraid I don't own either of the Pokemon videos. But I do know that the Pokemon video wasn't released with any SNES bundle (too late in the SNES life for that) nor was that vid released with any GB/GBA bundle I'm aware of. That would makes it at least an N64 console exclusive... but I can't confirm whether the same video was released in any other Pokemon spin-off accessory or toy bundle. I've never seen anything that suggests that it's anything other than a N64 exclusive but then there's so much Pokemon stuff out there that it would probably be quite hard to tell. Whether the same vid was bundled with other Pokemon toys or accesssories remains unclear but I've never seen anything to suggest this.

The Conkers Bad Fur Day video wasn't a console bundle, it was a limited release with the game in the US. The original Softimage 3D video sold for a very reasonable price (about Ł25 at the time, if I remember rightly) although this would be affected by the stong pound at the time. Expect it to fetch at least twice as much now... but it's hard to say with things like this. On a good day (or in a vague listing) you might be able to get it quite cheaply...

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Cool, looking forward to the new ones, Franklint. :)

« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply