Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GameCube Wiimakes; This was inevitable really...
Topic Started: May 24 2009, 01:17 PM (672 Views)
Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
THE STORY SO FAR

Mop_it_up

Metoid Prime Trilogy???

Can you say awesomesauce? Even although Nintendo re-released Metroid Prime 1 and 2 separately in Japan, it looks like they are compiling them into a trilogy for North America (and other regions?). Even if one already owns MP3, this is still a deal since it is $10 less than it would cost to get the two NPC versions separately.

I wasn't expecting this. When was the last time Nintendo released a compilation? They seem content re-releasing their games separately. There are only three others I can think of, which are The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition on the GameCube, Super Mario All-Stars on the Super NES, and the Japan-only Nintendo Puzzle Collection.

alxbly

Yeah, at least the pricing is better than expected. "Buy this game that you've already bought and played, but it's worth buying again because it uses the wii controller". There's innovation for you! ^_^

In truth I'm glad to see these re-releases but Nintendo are really milking it. How many Gamecube games are gonna be recycled for Wii with nothing more than updated controls and Widescreen support? :-/

I blame Capcom. ^_^ :)

dataDyne

Don't forget that many Wii owners didn't so much as give the Gamecube a passing glance, so this is a great chance for a whole new generation to enjoy these three amazing games. I will most certainly be picking this trilogy up. :)

Mop_it_up

alxbly

Yeah, at least the pricing is better than expected. "Buy this game that you've already bought and played, but it's worth buying again because it uses the wii controller". There's innovation for you!

This game is targeting those who don't already own the originals. All three of the Metroid Prime games didn't sell very well compared to other Nintendo games so there are a lot of Wii owners who have never played them. Besides, it isn't like this is being released in the place of a new Metroid game.

alxbly

How many Gamecube games are gonna be recycled for Wii with nothing more than updated controls and Widescreen support? :-/

I blame Capcom. ^_^ :)

There will be seven games. Nintendo have stated that after this first batch of GCN Wiimakes there won't be any more for "a while". After the last one of them is released I'd imagine it will be at least another year before we see any more, if not longer than that. Whenever there is another hole on the release schedule to fill is when we will see more of them.

I wouldn't blame Capcom, I'd argue that Nintendo started the trend with the Wii port of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

alxbly

dataDyne

This is a great chance for a whole new generation to enjoy these three amazing games, now with fun and exciting Wii controls.

Fixed. And if we work together we could write even more Nintendo press releases. :P

Sorry, but that's the same reason that Nintendo always give for re-releasing their back catalogue. I'm okay with that because I like improved versions, but I'm beginning to question how many Gamecube retreads are healthy for one system, especially when the improvements are limited to control updates. Can anyone here think of any other console that has plundered it's predecessor's games libray as much as the Wii has? It just seems very, very lazy. :-/

At this rate Wii's backwards compatibility won't be needed... ^_^

Mop_it_up

All three of the Metroid Prime games didn't sell very well compared to other Nintendo games so there are a lot of Wii owners who have never played them.

And a lot of Wii owners who won't even consider buying them. Metroid Prime doesn't target the same demographic the Wii Sports/Wii Play/Wii Fit/Mario Kart Wii crowd, so even although this repackage represents good value for money, it's unlikely to sell over one or two million copies. If it sells that.

Metroid Prime already sold 2 million on the Gamecube. Metroid Prime Corruption has sold 1.3 million copies on the Wii since it was released. Just how many more people are gonna buy this?

Plus...

I don't think this is targetted at people who haven't played the first games. I think it's actually targetted at the same people who enjoyed MP3, and who probably played the first two games before that and would like to see the updated controls. Me... for example. I still know it's a cash-in, but it's an attractive package as well so no dount this baby will see its way into my own collection. ^_^
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
May 23 2009, 10:06 PM
I'm okay with that because I like improved versions, but I'm beginning to question how many Gamecube retreads are healthy for one system, especially when the improvements are limited to control updates.
Some of them have a couple of things, though nothing major. All of the ones which didn't support widescreen and 480p now do. Pikmin has an option to restart at the beginning of a day, or to revert back to any previous day so that you can correct some mistakes without having to start the game over again. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 will have an achievements system similar to the one found in Metroid Prime 3. Chibi-Robo will be a full-blown point-and-click adventure.

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat has the most changes and is the only one which could possibly be considered a remake and not a re-release. Because the more traditional controls make the game easier, the levels have been remixed to compensate. It has always seemed weird to use a drum to beat off with, it's more intuitive to just waggle your wand.

alxbly

Can anyone here think of any other console that has plundered it's predecessor's games library as much as the Wii has?
Game Boy Advance.

Re-releasing old games is really nothing new for Nintendo, but there is a reason why the GameCube ones are so prominent. The GameCube was Nintendo's least-selling home system ever, especially in Japan, so Nintendo wants to give its games another chance. This is also why they are being released in Japan long before other regions, and all of them don't even have dates in other regions yet.

I don't think it is really any different than releasing a "director's cut" of a movie, or even releasing VHS movies onto DVD. Plus, it isn't like these re-releases are coming in the place of new games, they exist to fill holes in Nintendo's lineup.

alxbly

I don't think this is targetted at people who haven't played the first games. I think it's actually targetted at the same people who enjoyed MP3, and who probably played the first two games before that and would like to see the updated controls.
I disagree, I don't think the small amount of changes will be worth it to most people who own the originals (I'm not interested in the MP Trilogy). The whole New Play Control! series is targeting people who have never played the original, of which there are many, but that doesn't mean you still can't buy it.

If Nintendo were trying to sell their old GameCube games with Wii controls to the same people then they would start with the more popular ones: Super Mario Sunshine, Zelda: Wind Waker, Mario Kart Double Dash!!, Luigi's Mansion, etc. All of the NPC games they've chosen are games which did not perform as well as expected. Pikmin wasn't a runaway hit, Metroid Prime fared poorly in Japan, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat fell into obscurity, and both Mario Power Tennis and Chibi-Robo were released late in the GameCube's market life and missed their chance to shine.

alxbly

And a lot of Wii owners who won't even consider buying them. Metroid Prime doesn't target the same demographic the Wii Sports/Wii Play/Wii Fit crowd
I still maintain that Nintendo hopes to turn that audience into regular gamers. It's all a part of their strategy of disruption.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
May 24 2009, 01:18 PM
alxbly

Can anyone here think of any other console that has plundered it's predecessor's games library as much as the Wii has?
Game Boy Advance.
I think the GBA re-releases were slightly different because they gave the games new context; made them portable. Plus they were ported from the SNES, not the GBA's predecessor (the Game Boy Color).

But my problem with these Wiimakes is... what am I gonna do with the Gamecube originals once I own both? :-/ ^_^

Neptune
Metroid is one of, if not my favorite series. I own all three Prime games, and they all play fine on my Wii. Re-releasing games on a console that already plays them is IMO, quite lame.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
May 24 2009, 05:48 PM
I think the GBA re-releases were slightly different because they gave the games new context; made them portable. Plus they were ported from the SNES, not the GBA's predecessor (the Game Boy Color).

But my problem with these Wiimakes is... what am I gonna do with the Gamecube originals once I own both? :-/ ^_^
The GBA may not have been the successor to the SNES but it was still a system with similar capabilities, and the actual games themselves remained virtually unchanged. Plus many of them sold for the regular price of GBA games whilst these Wiimakes are being sold at a reduced price. And if you're going to say making the games portable gave them new context then I would argue the same for Wii controls.

But a better system for me to name would have been the Game Boy Color, which had quite a few Game Boy games re-released in colour.

Quote:

But my problem with these Wiimakes is... what am I gonna do with the Gamecube originals once I own both?
If this is a serious question, then I would say that maybe you should sell the ones you have now before the Wiimakes are released and the price of the originals goes down. Though we don't yet know which ones are going to be released in Europe so I guess you should wait until they are dated.

Quote:

Re-releasing games on a console that already plays them is IMO, quite lame.
That requires GameCube controllers and memory cards, which most Wii owners don't have. Plus this way people can buy the games brand new, and more people buy new games than used games for various reasons. The games have Wii controls too which makes them easier to get into.

I really don't understand why so many people are whining over these Wiimakes, and I probably never will.

Neptune
The wii IS a gamecube, it seems pointless to port games that it already runs onto it and not add any content. Gamecube controls are fine, the prime games will likely play better on the wii, but the doors are going to take even longer to open now.

I don't usually agree when people say this, but it just seems lazy. all they did was map the controls of old games to a wii remote.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Nintendo was actually err... developing games while they shovel us this garbage. Where's Metroid 5 again? I'm certainly not buying any new games that I've owned for 5 years.

These aren't remakes, they're ports. I just can't understand how it can be acceptable to port a gamecube game to the wii. Am I wrong? Have I completely lost my mind?

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
May 26 2009, 11:52 PM
Quote:

But my problem with these Wiimakes is... what am I gonna do with the Gamecube originals once I own both?
If this is a serious question, then I would say that maybe you should sell the ones you have now before the Wiimakes are released and the price of the originals goes down.
No, no and thrice no.

These are mostly games I've played and enjoyed on a previous system. I need to see what improvement the Wiimakes offer. Even then, I'm not sure if I can justify buying all these games again.. certainly not at their release price in the UK: 29.99. it seems like too much for games I already own and can already play on my Wii. Plus, I quite like my Gamecube collection and don't want to sell off the classics.

Mop

Though we don't yet know which ones are going to be released in Europe so I guess you should wait until they are dated.
Play Control Mario Tennis and Pikmin were both released over here before they were released in the US. Play Control Pikmin 2 has been out here for over a month... any sign of a US release dat for that yet? ^_^ And Donkey Kong Jungle Beat has been confirmed for release on 6th June. None of the other Play Control titles have been dated for anywhere other than Japan, as far as I'm aware. The f***ing better release Chibi Robo over here... :angry:

Mop

I really don't understand why so many people are whining over these Wiimakes, and I probably never will.
Because some of us actually owned Gamecubes (only 20 million or so so we can patronising be called "niche") and keeping our Wii's busy with old games doesn't seem so attractive. But at the same time... inner turmoil from not having the definitive version.

Such is the harsh life of a collector. ^_^

Nah, I'm talking balls, I'm just waiting for them to drop to a more attractive price. Chibi Robo will be very tempting though, because it could really use the motion controls well. :wub: And the game is so damn good. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
First off, I feel like this point keeps getting ignored, so I'm going to put it in big purple letters:

THESE GAMES ARE NOT REPLACING NEW GAMES!

alxbly

These are mostly games I've played and enjoyed on a previous system. I need to see what improvement the Wiimakes offer. Even then, I'm not sure if I can justify buying all these games again.. certainly not at their release price in the UK: 29.99. it seems like too much for games I already own and can already play on my Wii. Plus, I quite like my Gamecube collection and don't want to sell off the classics.
That is quite a dilemma. I guess you can sell the Wiimakes after you are finished with them? It isn't difficult to find people to sell Wii games to.

In my case, I've played only two of the seven games being re-released, which are MP1 and 2. Since I've played MP3 I already know how MP1 and 2 would work with Wii controls so I don't need to buy this trilogy. I guess that may also be a reason why I don't care about these Wiimakes being released.

alxbly

None of the other Play Control titles have been dated for anywhere other than Japan, as far as I'm aware. They f***ing better release Chibi Robo over here...
Those were the ones I was referring to, perhaps I should have been more specific.

Neptune

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if Nintendo was actually err... developing games while they shovel us this garbage. Where's Metroid 5 again? I'm certainly not buying any new games that I've owned for 5 years.
Why do you assume this? What indication is there that Nintendo isn't developing anything right now?
Retro Studios have already confirmed that they are working on a new game, so obviously this trilogy isn't taking up that resource. They have also stated that MP3 is the last Metroid Prime game, so their next game probably isn't even going to be a Metroid game. At the very least, had this trilogy not existed we still would not have received a new Metroid Prime game, and it likely has no effect on when there will be another Metroid game.

Neptune

The wii IS a gamecube, it seems pointless to port games that it already runs onto it and not add any content.
As I said before, most Wii owners don't have GameCube controllers and memory cards and have no interest in purchasing them. Just think of these games as re-releases, similar to the Player's Choice lineup on previous systems.

Neptune

I just can't understand how it can be acceptable to port a gamecube game to the wii. Am I wrong?
No, you're not wrong. You're just a victim of a company who had no choice but to expand its focus in order to survive. Your only mistake may be that you are possibly taking a business relationship personally.

Neptune

Have I completely lost my mind?
Probably. Whilst you're searching for it, let me know if you happen to find mine.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
May 27 2009, 06:58 PM
First off, I feel like this point keeps getting ignored, so I'm going to put it in big purple letters:

THESE GAMES ARE NOT REPLACING NEW GAMES!
What new games? I think this may be the crux of the matter for some people, especially those who were Nintendo fans. Who were likely to have owned a Gamecube before their Wii. And they bought these game years ago.

Regardless, in the past year Nintendo have worked their ass off to bring quality first-party games to the Wii. Punch-Out, Animal Crossing... and another one? Mop, I'm pretty sure you can name some others. And remember, Mario Kart Wii, Wii Fit and SSB Brawl can't be counted here because they are more than a year old now.

In the last year... yeeaaahhh... those games were... something with Mario in it?

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Okay, first off, I will say that I do consider these re-releases to be filler. But if these games did not exist, there would be nothing else instead. Nintendo are using them to fill a drought, because Nintendo always have droughts. Has everyone forgotten the N64 and GameCube era already? These are here to fill that hole whilst Nintendo takes the time to work on something new. And it will be good since they don't need to rush it to the market like in the GameCube era.

Therefore, so far this year Nintendo have released only Punch-Out!! and ExciteBots. ExciteBots is a sequel to Excite Truck. I haven't played it yet but it looks as if it improves every aspect of Excite Truck, and follows the universal appeal of such games as Super Mario Galaxy and Mario Kart Wii in that it's easily accessible but has enough depth to make it last.

Last November Nintendo released Wii Music, which was the cause of much controversy. But it never claimed to be anything like Guitar Hero and clones, and is good for what it is.

In September there was Watio Land: Shake It! If you're one of these looney "hardcore" gamers then you are a hypocrite if you didn't buy this game.

In August was the release of Mario Super Sluggers, which is a solid arcade baseball game.

Just because one may have interest in only a few of these games doesn't mean they don't count as new games from Nintendo. They are only one company and can only do so much, so of course they are going to make games with a wider appeal.

ExciteBots was announced two months before it was released, which is proof that just because there's not much announced yet doesn't mean there won't be something else this year. At least wait until after E3 before claiming there's nothing new coming out.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
:lol: I can tell you're getting all uptight now. >:-]

Excitebots; hardly setting the world on fire is it? Wii Music; thanks for defending this as a quality title. ^_^ Mario Sports This and That; aye, Gamecube wiimakes suddenly seem more appealing. Wario Land Shake It; a core game for the casual masses? "so of course they are going to make games with a wider appeal". I see.

Mop

At least wait until after E3 before claiming there's nothing new coming out.
Actually, I didn't claim that. ^_^ I asked what quality titles Nintendo had released in the past year. I'm pretty happy with the answer I got... :P

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
May 27 2009, 08:03 PM
Excitebots; hardly setting the world on fire is it?
Neither did Lair. You of all people should know that sales do not equal a quality game. If you want to go by review scores, it fared favouravbly amongst reviewers who don't suck.

alxbly

Wii Music; thanks for defending this as a quality title. ^_^ Mario Sports This and That; aye, Gamecube wiimakes suddenly seem more appealing.
Just because you have no interest in these games doesn't mean they aren't quality titles.

alxbly

Wario Land Shake It; a core game for the casual masses? "so of course they are going to make games with a wider appeal". I see.
Yes, you do see. Nintendo throws out a "hardcore" game and all the "hardcore" Nintendo fans can do is ignore it and complain about Wii Music.

alxbly

Actually, I didn't claim that. ^_^ I asked what quality titles Nintendo had released in the past year. I'm pretty happy with the answer I got... :P
That post was actually copied over from elsewhere and altered, and that line was aimed at people who were claiming there's nothing being released for the rest of the year. But if quality is an opinion then I can say there are more quality games on Wii than on PS3 and 360 combined. And it would be true, to me. To pass it off as a fact is selfish and elitist.

Besides, my whole point was that these re-releases are not replacing new games but are instead filling a drought and there would otherwise be nothing. Do you have a counterpoint to this or do you just want to crap on Wii?

Neptune
It's easy to say they aren't replacing new games, it's more difficult to show me the new games they aren't replacing!

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if they announce things like Kirby Wii, F-Zero Wii, and Starfox Wii instead of things like Wii Waker, Super Mario Sunshine Galaxy, and SSBMB.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I already said that the games are filling a gap in the release schedule. So otherwise there would be nothing released. Do you honestly believe these games are using up lots of development resources? They were converted over by a small team of people over the course of a year when they had nothing else to work on.

I can already picture the backlash from E3 from all of the selfish Nintendo fans out there... with a gauranteed focus on Wii Sports Resort and Wii Motion Plus, Nintendo could announce a new Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, and Starfox and people would still do nothing but complain about Wii Sports Resort and Nintendo abandoning them. It is going to be epic.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
May 27 2009, 10:11 PM
But if quality is an opinion then I can say there are more quality games on Wii than on PS3 and 360 combined. And it would be true, to me. To pass it off as a fact is selfish and elitist.
I'm not trying to claim fact for anything here, just staing my own opinion and getting myself in trouble again. ^_^ If you think Wii Music is a quality title and Wario Land is "hardcore" then I repect your right to your opinion, but mine is really quite different. That's okay, things would be dull if we agreed all the time.

Mop

Besides, my whole point was that these re-releases are not replacing new games but are instead filling a drought and there would otherwise be nothing. Do you have a counterpoint to this or do you just want to crap on Wii?
I don't want crap nor do I want to be fobbed off with lazy ports. I want it all; good third party support and games I'm interested in. That's why I own more than one console and, in general, don't mind these lazy Gamecube wiimakes. But I do think they are filler, albeit filler I might buy if the price comes down.

Mop

Nintendo could announce a new Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, and Starfox and people would still do nothing but complain about Wii Sports Resort and Nintendo abandoning them.
I dunno, I kinda think some good, big name titles are what the core fans on the Wii are really looking for. And I know that I'm looking forward to Wii Sports Resort. :)

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
May 28 2009, 03:57 AM
If you think Wii Music is a quality title and Wario Land is "hardcore" then I respect your right to your opinion, but mine is really quite different.
Have you played Wii Music? It is easy to tell just by looking at a game whether or not it interests you but I think it is unfair to judge its actual quality without playing it, especially when it's a game you have no interest in.
The elements of Wario Land are essentially no different than Super Mario Galaxy which is considered to be a "hardcore" game. If you don't consider Wario Land to be a "hardcore" game, then it just goes to show how ridiculous the two labels truly are.

alxbly

But I do think they are filler, albeit filler I might buy if the price comes down.
I agree that they are filler but what they are filling in are gaps in the release schedule, they aren't filling in for new games we would have gotten otherwise. Now obviously I don't know if that is true or not, but that's what it looks like to me.

In addition to that however I think Nintendo wanted to give some of its GameCube games another chance. Whilst the GameCube fared alright in North America it sold poorly in Japan and was almost non-existent in Europe, so Nintendo are re-releasing some of the games which didn't sell so well in those territories. Most of the sales of the Metroid Prime games were in North America, Pikmin wasn't a smash success, etc. The fact that these games are all being released first in Japan long before other regions and with most being released in Europe before North America seems to support this theory. Pikmin 1 and 2 are also probably being released to build hype for Pikmin 3... of which I wouldn't be surprised to see at E3.

alxbly

I dunno, I kinda think some good, big name titles are what the core fans on the Wii are really looking for.
It isn't so much the fans I worry about, it is the media. They honestly seem like they have it in for Nintendo, and so no matter what is shown at E3 I can just imagine them focusing their negative energy on Wii Sports Resort and Wii Motion Plus with rants about Nintendo ruining gaming and ignoring anything else that gets shown. This may seem like paranoia, but there is basis for it. With things like IGN boycotting Wii Music and reviewers ignoring the online mode in ExciteBots and claiming it has no online play, how could I not think this?

Whether anyone wants to admit it or not the gaming media have a huge effect on how fans react based on how the news is presented. They could easily conjure up a sh*tstorm with a negative spin on the show no matter how excellent it may be.

Neptune
I guess I can accept it if it means someone, somewhere is going to enjoy a game they otherwise wouldn't have. That makes it all worthwhile and uh... something's justified and err... hmm... :eh:

Sorry, I thought I had something thought provoking to say.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Neptune
May 29 2009, 05:39 AM
Sorry, I thought I had something thought-provoking to say.
You were close. At least it wasn't a selfish thought.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Metroid Prime triogy has been announced for the UK! I think this is one Wiimake I will be picking up. :)

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
Metroid series get on my nerves big time, Super Lostdroid hahahahaha
:n64: :n64: :n64: :n64:

Chaos66
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'm definitely getting metroid prime trilogy, the multilplayer in mp2 was awesome.
yeah, the metroid games are so hard to not get lost in. I had mp1 and just sold it cuz i didn't know what to do, and I still can't find out what to do next in MP: Hunters.
Edited by Chaos66, Aug 17 2009, 01:07 AM.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Speaking of, it has been confirmed that the save files for all three of the Metroid Prime games will NOT be compatible with the trilogy. Not that they need to be though, because if you're buying it, then either you don't own the games or you'll be playing through them from the beginning.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply