Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Size of N64 games?
Topic Started: Jul 19 2009, 12:20 AM (8,920 Views)
Marktheshark
Established Member
Sure, most of you know probably know what the smallest & largest N64 games are. What about the average size of N64 games though? Also, is there a list of N64 games out there in the internet that has info on how much megabits each n64 game takes up?
Edited by Marktheshark, Jul 19 2009, 12:20 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Chaos66
Member Avatar
Established Member
If you look up the game on wikipedia it says the size of it in the little info box on the right. I don't know of any lists though.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
It's hard to say, but if I were to fancy a guess then I would say 16 megabytes. The largest made was 64MB and that was used in just two games. The smallest was 4MB and that wasn't used too often either. Companies tried to use the smallest size possible to save on the manufacturing costs so that's why I'm going with 16MB.

I don't think anyone has ever compiled a list of the sizes.

Yoshi64
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hahahaha Donkey Kong 64 that game is HUGE, to many things to collect.
:n64: :n64: :n64: :n64:

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
To be pedantic (Gossy's job, I know, but he's not been around for a while, where is he by the way?) it's impossible to know the exact size of a game on a cartridge without examining the game's code, as some of the cartridge's ROM memory might be blank as the game code probably doesn't take up every single byte of ROM.

Anyway, the ROM sizes that I know of offhand are:

Super Mario 64 8 MB,
Goldeneye 16MB,
Zelda: Ocarina of Time 32 MB,
Turok 2 32MB,
Conker's Bad Fur Day 64 MB,
Zelda: Majora's Mask 64 MB
Resident Evil 2 64 MB.

Conker's Bad Fur Day, Zelda: Majora's Mask, and Resident Evil 2 are the joint larges cartridges on the N64. Incidentally, all of the sizes I've given are in mega-bytes (the same as PC memory is listed as, for example), and not mega-bits. A mega-byte is eight times the size of a meg-bit, and I've only ever seen the phrase "mega-bit" used in connection with 16-bit consoles like the SNES or Megadrive (Genesis), where it's usually abreviated to MB or mb, presumably to fool people into thinking that the product is actually x mega-bytes in size. A mega-bit is actually 128 kilo-bytes, and a mega-byte is 1024 kilo-bytes (eight times as large) in size. If you're wondering why these numbers are rather strange, it's because they are the product of binary mathematics on an 8 bit system of calculation, a combination of necessity and tradition in the computer world.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Majora's Mask isn't 64MB, it is 32MB.

niniendowarrior
Marktheshark
Jul 19 2009, 12:20 AM
Sure, most of you know probably know what the smallest & largest N64 games are. What about the average size of N64 games though? Also, is there a list of N64 games out there in the internet that has info on how much megabits each n64 game takes up?
In terms of megabits, I remember a few.

Super Mario 64 - 64 mbit
Shadows of the Empire - 128 mbit
Wave Race 64 - 64 mbit
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 256 mbit
Jet Force Gemini - 192 mbit (I think)
Toukon Road 2 - 256 mbit
Mace: Dark Age - 96 mbit
Resident Evil 2 - 512 mbit
Perfect Striker - 64 mbit
Perfect Striker 2 - 128 mbit
F1 World GP - 64 mbit (I think)

These are just a few... I used to have an extensive list of these games mbit sizes, but I have misplaced it throughout the years.

Note, these are in megabits (NOT megabytes).

This link should give you all that info. http://64dd.net/modules/specials/?sa0000
Edited by niniendowarrior, Jul 21 2009, 12:00 AM.

Robond
Member Avatar
Established Member
Goldeneye isn't 16MB it is 12MB and Shadows of the Empire isn't 16MB it is 8MB.
Wii + 59 games + 7 Wii Ware + 28 VC! GC + 85 games! N64 + 38 games! DS + 32 games + 9 GBA games!
PS3 Slim + 16 games! PS2 Slim + 35 games! PS1 + 15 games!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
I've just checked my ROM files (N64 games in data file format, for use with emulators) and I can confirm that

Zelda: Majora's Mask is 32MB (I was sure this was 64MB),

Goldeneye is 16MB (although I do seem to recall seeing a 12MB ROM file, perhaps the PAL one was 12MB, as they might have tidied up the code when they converted it from NTSC to PAL, and removed any redundant data or spaces, to make the chip requirements smaller, as especially then (1997) N64 cartridge memory must have been expensive),

Shadows of the Empire is 16MB.

Two surprises:

Ogre Battle is 40MB in size!

Pokemon Stadium 2 is 64 MB (so there are three 64 MB games on the N64 as I can confirm that both Conker's Bad Fur Day and Resident Evil 2 are both 64MB in size).

If you do download any N64 ROMs to see their sizes, remember to unZIP them to see them in their correct size.

Chaos66
Member Avatar
Established Member
Who cares.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Chaos66
Jul 22 2009, 10:31 AM
Who cares.
If you have nothing to contribute or if the discussion doesn't interest you then you have two options:

1) Be a tool.

2) Don't post in the topic.

Guess which one gets you banned?

<span style=Sapper</span>
Member Avatar
Nintendoin' since '97
Yoshi64
Jul 20 2009, 02:32 AM
Hahahaha Donkey Kong 64 that game is HUGE, to many things to collect.
Nevertheless it's only 32 MB (256 Mbits) big :)

When i was a child i could not imagine that Super Mario 64 can fit on a 8 MB Cartridge. ^_^
Posted Image

Your favorite game's soundtracks

Deleted User
Deleted User

Interesting. Unfourtunently, this means Conker's Bad Fur Day, Resident Evil 2, and Pokemon Stadium 2 will never come to the Wii's Virtual Console, since the game is way too large for the severely constricting 40MB size.

Ogre Battle 64: Person of the Lordly Caliber 40MB size might convince Nintendo to increase the size limit to 70MB.
Quote Post Goto Top

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Size isn't the reason that those three games will never appear on the Virtual Console.
Conker's Bad Fur Day is owned by Rare and by extension Microsoft.
Resident Evil 2 would be released on disc (or as a rail shooter...)
Pokémon Stadium 2 basically requires the Transfer Pak accessory. Besides, it's been replaced by Pokémon Battle revolution anyway.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply