Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
007: Quantum of Solace
Topic Started: Dec 15 2009, 05:15 PM (619 Views)
Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
alxbly
Dec 15 2009, 03:11 PM
Well, I finished another game. :D I'd been playing 007: Quantum of Solace on and off since I got it and today I finished off the last three levels. So, finished in 2009:
How does it compare to Goldeneye? ^_^
No seriously though, how does it compare to the other Bond games from EA? I kind of liked the ones that were released on GameCube so I'm kind of wondering about that one.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Dec 15 2009, 05:15 PM
alxbly
Dec 15 2009, 03:11 PM
Well, I finished another game. :D I'd been playing 007: Quantum of Solace on and off since I got it and today I finished off the last three levels. So, finished in 2009:
How does it compare to Goldeneye? ^_^
No seriously though, how does it compare to the other Bond games from EA? I kind of liked the ones that were released on GameCube so I'm kind of wondering about that one.
It's much better than the rest; Activision have done pretty well with the license so far. The last level has one area which is quite reminisant of Goldeneye. :)

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Oh, it was done by Activision? I wasn't aware the license changed hands.
This could be interesting. Now I just need to find out if the Wii version was competently handled...

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Dec 15 2009, 05:54 PM
Oh, it was done by Activision? I wasn't aware the license changed hands.
This could be interesting. Now I just need to find out if the Wii version was competently handled...
It was done by the same people that made Call of Duty World At War, which I believe is one of the Wii's better FPS's (although I've not played it myself). So that could bode well... :)

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
It's hard to say. Going from Game Rankings, it doesn't look like it got very good reviews. The Wii version averages 5.5 whilst the PS3 version is 6.7 and the XBox 360 version is 6.9. But I guess I'll have to read some review texts to see if there's something technically wrong with the game or if it's just because reviewers preferred the other versions.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Wow, I never realised that the game had scored so... averagely. I thought it was pretty good although there were some annoying bits. Nothing major though. :mellow:

Robond
Member Avatar
Established Member
I liked the game but prefer the ones in the cube.
Wii + 59 games + 7 Wii Ware + 28 VC! GC + 85 games! N64 + 38 games! DS + 32 games + 9 GBA games!
PS3 Slim + 16 games! PS2 Slim + 35 games! PS1 + 15 games!
Posted Image
Posted Image

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
007 Nightfire was an awesome game, and one of the best split-screen shooters for the ol' Cube.

Another great Bond game from that generation that no one seems to remember is 007: Everything or Nothing.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
I have Quantum of Solace for the PS2, and it's sadly one of those "Let's port it to the humble PS2 as that'll net us tons of sales" ports where they release a substandard version of the game, just to get the cash. It's not too bad on the PS2, to be honest, at least as far as single player goes, but it's a far cry from the current gen. versions, and it's third person only. And there's no multiplayer mode at all, which is a real disappointment.

I have Nightfire, Agent Under Fire, From Russia With Love, and Everything or Nothing, for the XBox, and the best (to me) is either Nightfire or Everything or Nothing, depending on how I look at it. EON is the best in many ways, but it's one failing (again, to me) is that it's a third person game, and I personally much prefer first person gaming, as I feel it's much more immersive than 3rd person. Nightfire has some very good points, and is of course first person, but it feels too linear, the vehicle sections can be dull (though very pretty), it's too short, and there are too few multplayer levels.

Agent Under Fire is very bad at times, with bad controls, the annoying way it treats you like an idiot (it constantly leads you by the nose, telling you what to do next), and I can't remember what else I don't like about it, as I've not played it for years, but I have it mentally tagged as "VERY disappointing". On the plus side, I think I liked the vehicle sections more in AUF than in Nightfire.

I found From Russia With Love too easy and too dull, plus it was third person again. I can't remember much else about it. There were also Bond games on the ZX Spectrum and Atari ST that I played, but I can't remember much about them. Incidentally, I see to remember hearing that the PC version of Nightfire had no vehicle sections, is that true? And if so, did it have anything that was missing in the console versions?

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Like Kerr Avon, I'm not very interested in third-person shooting games and that's why I haven't played Everything or Nothing. I think it is cheap now though, maybe I should get that one instead.

dataDyne
Forum Dinosaur!
I'm not a big fan of the third-person genre either, but what Everything or Nothing boasts is perfect player immersion into the Bond character. The combination of the third-person view, vehicle sections and purely suave atmosphere works remarkably well, and to this day stands as the only Bond game where I've actually felt like James Bond.

Definitely pick it up for the Gamecube if you can find it.
Give this man a fish, and he can throw it up eleven times
-alxbly
PSN: LifeIsPreachy
Mario Kart Wii: 0088 - 2869 - 9843

niniendowarrior
I liked it but not as much as my brother did. The story cutscenes kind of sucked...

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
dataDyne
Dec 18 2009, 10:31 PM
I'm not a big fan of the third-person genre either, but what Everything or Nothing boasts is perfect player immersion into the Bond character. The combination of the third-person view, vehicle sections and purely suave atmosphere works remarkably well, and to this day stands as the only Bond game where I've actually felt like James Bond.

Definitely pick it up for the Gamecube if you can find it.
>I'm not a big fan of the third-person genre either, but what Everything or Nothing boasts is perfect player immersion into the Bond character. The combination of the third-person view, vehicle sections and purely suave atmosphere works remarkably well, and to this day stands as the only Bond game where I've actually felt like James Bond.

It is ironic that whilst almost everyone considers Goldeneye to be the definitive Bond game, which it is, the fact is that GE is not too representative of the traditional Bond style - in GE you kill hundreds of people throughout the game, whereas the book/film Bond doesn't kill that nearly so many people, he's not a one man army. The book/film Bond swims, drives, pilots, fight's hand to hand, talks his way into places or out of trouble, and so on, whereas in the game it's just shoot shoot shoot. Not that there's anything at all wrong with that, of course, the game is massively enjoyable, which is it's sole aim (no pun intended, and anyway Dave Goss wouldn't get it ;) ), but none the less, Goldeneye the game does not offer a true Bond experience. If it did, you'd get to drive various vehicles, swim around, choose what to say to people during mission critical conversations, reason things out for yourself, and score with loads of beautiful women. Although as post GE games have shown, these elements don't necessarily add to the fun factor, which is all-important in a game.

Some games did add some Bond-ish style sections that were fun, though. The World is Not Enough (N64, I don't know about the PSX version) added an (on rails) skiing level where you shot at enemies, that was fun. And it added tranquiliser darts, for non-fatal take-downs which were also good. TWINE also added rappeling (shooting then climbing a rope), which wasn't so much fun, but was very quick so it didn;t hurt the gameplay, and also added swimming, which again wasn't too much fun, but not a game killer. On the plus side, it added a new viewing mode, X-ray vision (using X-Ray sunglasses), and a good joypad button combination for cycling through your gadgets. On the minus side, TWINE had a level where stealth was vital, and if you even got seen by an enemy it was game over, which was a very bad design decision if you ask me. It should have been that if an enemy saw you he'd run to an alarm switch (as in Goldeneye the game) and if you stopped him in time then it was OK.

TWINE also added changing objectives, that could change or be updated during gameplay, which was much more realistic than in GE, where Bond seemed to know before hand exactly what was going to happen.

Agent Under Fire (XBox) added vehicles, though I don't remember them being to much fun. I don't remember much else about AUF (I didn't like it, so I've not played it in years), so I can't comment any more.

Nightfire (Xbox) added a superb cinematic opening, very Bond like indeed. It had an original opening song, complete with a title sequence that looked like it was straight out of a Bond film. The game also included drivable vehicles, but to me at least they weren't much fun at all. And the game felt so linear and artificial :angry:

I don't remember too much about Everything or Nothing (PS2), although I didn't like the Training level (which was too much like the Matrix, and was actually the second, not the first, level in the game), and I didn't like the way everything could stop dead whilst someone radio'd you or used the "Bond time" feature (whatever it was called), and there was a level where you had to fall to catch someone, and it was a total git to do. I hated that level. I don't remember much about From Russia With Love (XBox), either, apart from it being too easy, though I never finished it as I lost interest and abandoned it.

Offhand, the only thing I can remember Quantum of Solace (PS2) being the first Bond game to offer was "Quicktime" style sequences - you know, where controller buttons are shown on screen and you have to quickly press the same button on the joypad, like in the Guitar games or some stages of Resident Evil 4, for example. I hate these things, as you're trying to watch the cinematic graphics (where Bond is fighting someone, or something) and so you miss the onscreen buttons and so Bond dies. Not fun at all.

macN64
Member Avatar
Kerr Avon
Dec 21 2009, 06:37 AM
On the minus side, TWINE had a level where stealth was vital, and if you even got seen by an enemy it was game over, which was a very bad design decision if you ask me. It should have been that if an enemy saw you he'd run to an alarm switch (as in Goldeneye the game) and if you stopped him in time then it was OK.
You're talking about the villa level, right? That was my favorite. :lol: It was difficult, but really intense and immersive. You really felt like a spy for once, sneaking around, tapping phones and cracking safes. It felt like such an accomplishment completing it too. :D The following level (the airfield) had a stealth element too, but you could continue even if you messed up. This level was more fun but not my favorite, if that makes sense.
Youtube

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
macN64
Dec 23 2009, 09:43 AM
Kerr Avon
Dec 21 2009, 06:37 AM
On the minus side, TWINE had a level where stealth was vital, and if you even got seen by an enemy it was game over, which was a very bad design decision if you ask me. It should have been that if an enemy saw you he'd run to an alarm switch (as in Goldeneye the game) and if you stopped him in time then it was OK.
You're talking about the villa level, right? That was my favorite. :lol: It was difficult, but really intense and immersive. You really felt like a spy for once, sneaking around, tapping phones and cracking safes. It felt like such an accomplishment completing it too. :D

It was certainly a very atmospheric level, but I'm not at all on the "if you're seen then it's game over immediately", although yes, I suppose it did add tension to an otherwise arcade-ish first person shooter.

>The following level (the airfield) had a stealth element too, but you could continue even if you messed up. This level was more fun but not my favorite, if that makes sense.

I really liked that level, it was also very atmospheric, although it might have been better if they'd have kept the gun nests in, as there were in the beta screenshots.

BTW, I loaded up Everything or Nothing today, and I can remember (much of) what I disliked about it so much. First and foremost, there is the awful camera, which often leaves you unable to see the offscreen enemies who are killing you. The cutscenes are all initially unskippable (which I hate, no cutscenes should be unskippable), though later on, if you see the same cutscene again (after restarting a level) then you can skip some, but not all, of the cutscenes you've just seen. Also there are mid-game cutscenes to break up the level, which not only remind you that it's game and spoil the immersion, but also show you things that Bond wouldn't otherwise know at that point, thereby making the game unrealistically easier, and treating you like an adult. And it feels so artifical and scripted, not flowing and giving you the illusion of freedom as good games do.

I know lots of people love this game, but not me. Not at all.

« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply