Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron; August game of the month
Topic Started: May 29 2007, 11:13 PM (1,060 Views)
Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
I was wondering if anyone could help me find a specific internet preview for Rogue Squadron/expansion pak? It was like the first preview (or a very early one at that) of the game or the pak from a site like Game Informer or ign64.com, circa summer 1998. There was an article that may have just referenced the game as an example of the N64's new graphic capabilities with the pak. I just remember the screenshots were absolutely amazing for the time. There were 2 in particular, of a Y-Wing and/or X-Wing hovering up over the far corner of the screen. The ships were fairly large and yet the lights from the back were still visible.
In fact, I would bet the article was mostly about the then new expansion pak. I've already looked at gamespot and ign64.com but have come up short, so if anyone could try to remember or even just direct me to a better Rogue Squadron screen gallery it would really help.

On a related note, was the RS developed with the N64 in mind or was it just an afterthought (kind of like Shadowman)?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Why is it that people here seem to ignore a lot of my topics
Is it that they
1. do not understand my topics (language, syntax, grammar, etc.)
2. are offended by them
3. find the writer to be a stark raving lunatic or a very angry, repressed person on a rant/tangent
4. think they are pointless
5. all of the above

:(

Deleted User
Deleted User

I think it's more that the forum is quite quiet in these summer months. Bear in mind also that you're asking for very specific material or info that people probably don't have immeadiately to hand. I've had a quick look for the Rogue Squadron article but haven't found anything online. I'm also trying to look through magazines of the time but it's a slow process looking for something that fits the description. Hopefully I'll be able to find something. :)

As to whther Rogue Squadron was developed with the N64 in mind; I think it was but I'd like to check some sources first before blundering into a reply (like I did in for the Shadow Man question). My memory has a bit of N64 bias since that was the console I followed eagerly at the time. I almost completely ignored PC games during that period, as they held very little interest for me (I didn't own my own PC, which was probably the main issue there).

Quote Post Goto Top

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
I swear, at least by the way Factor 5 described the dev process (looking thru old ign64.com articles), I think SW: RS was made with the N64 in mind. I know it was made for the PC and released about the same time as the N64 version (in fact I own the PC ver and have been debating whether or not to sell it and get the N64 ver I sold a few yrs back). But I guess the fundamental question is whether the engine was built around a PC 3D accelerator card of the time (ex. Voodoo sp?) or with the N64 hardware (spec. with the additional RAM of the exp. pak). I have my own guess but would rather be certain before I switch over to a possible hand-me-down.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Shiren Wonders
May 30 2007, 03:33 PM
Why is it that people here seem to ignore a lot of my topics
Is it that they
1. do not understand my topics (language, syntax, grammar, etc.)
2. are offended by them
3. find the writer to be a stark raving lunatic or a very angry, repressed person on a rant/tangent
4. think they are pointless
5. all of the above

:(

For me, it's secret reason #6! As is the case with this topic (and probably some others), I can't answer your question(s), so there's not much point in poasting. Also, I'm still catching up on last week's topics.

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
I looked through the three issues of Nintendo Power that had articles about Rogue Squadron and there wasn't much info other than the usual "OMG you need to go buy an Expansion Pak right now!!!!" propagandist rambling. :unsure:

From the vast amount of info on the web about Rogue Squadron pertaining to the N64 verses the little bit about PC version could be a strong indication that the N64 was what was focused on by the developers, and the PC version was just a sort-of side project.
Posted Image

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
Between my hunch, the research I've done and what you say Rapueda, I'm thinking RS was a N64 project. But others are welcome to add their 2 cents as well.

Rapueda, do any of the screens in those NP issues look like what I described?

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Shiren Wonders
May 31 2007, 09:56 PM
Rapueda, do any of the screens in those NP issues look like what I described?

Could you describe the one(s) you're looking for in more detail?
Posted Image

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar

Rapueda,

There were 2 screens at least, 1 with an evening sky (dark oranges) I think. There were no more than 2 rebel ships in each screen, no imperial ones or buildings of any kind. Both screens had either a Y-wing or X-wing coming in from the side or corner. I think with the Y-wing its underside (in all its rich detail) was visible and there may have been another Y-wing beside it, like in formation. The X-wing in the other screen was positioned similarly (with or without other X-wings), and it hovered right above a rich landscape (forestry-like, green and lush). What stood out in mind the most beyond the detail was the size and lighting from the backs of the ships. They took up at least 1/3 of each screen, and the glow from behind was mesmerizing.

I may have mixed-up a few of the details, but I generally have a very good memory. And I distinctly remember viewing these screens, spec. on an internet site like Game Informer or n64.com (since ign64.com), a number of times, psyched for both the game and the expansion pak's release...although the same screens were no doubt in some mag's like NP.

Sorry if you have difficulty wading through my nostalgia to get a better description.

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Nothing in these articles matches that description very well. The images were all in-game, and it sounds like the ones you are looking for are the early promo type that are shown from camera angles not available in the finished product.
Posted Image

Deleted User
Deleted User

These don't quite match your description, but there are similarities. Might be some of these? Maybe?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y70/alxbl...ans/SWRS001.jpg

Quote Post Goto Top

Shiren Wonders
Member Avatar
A couple of those are vaguely similar alxbly.

"...it sounds like the ones you are looking for are the early promo type that are shown from camera angles not available in the finished product."
Rapueda, I think you could be right about that.

Hey, don't sweat it guys. I really appreciate the effort, humoring a N64 gamer with a possibly foggy memory (Oh what a pun! :lol: :rolleyes: ). But seriously, thanks anyways. If anyone would like to close this topic, they may. I haven't learned how to do that yet (assuming I can). :-8

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Shiren Wonders
Jun 10 2007, 06:50 PM
I really appreciate the effort, humoring a N64 gamer with a possibly foggy memory (Oh what a pun!)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Posted Image

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Thanks for the suggestion, dataDyne.

This challenge is for your best time on the Beggar's Canyon race. If you haven't unlocked the level, go to the passcodes screen and type in DEADDACK. The level is found after the last regular mission, The Battle of Calamari, on the level select screen.

There are two routes through the canyon - the left and right. The left route is the easiest but longest. The right route is shorter but has a lot of tight turns.

Good luck! :)
Posted Image

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Will it count if I race through Beggar's Canyon in Shadows of the Empire? I mean -- it has the same name! We need all the people we can get participating in these challenges.

Rapueda (retired)
Member Avatar
Gemini Squadron
Uhhh... sure, but that level takes a lot longer than the one in RS. :unsure:
Posted Image

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Rapueda
Jan 22 2008, 12:43 PM
Uhhh... sure, but that level takes a lot longer than the one in RS. :unsure:

You dare doubt my skills!? There is almost no reason to even have a contest when I'm involved. That luxurious prize will surely be mine.

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
I'm sad... a challenge that I can't attend. Even though I missed out on the last 2... (though those are still open for records right?)

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
This challenge has been open for an entire month and not a single person has entered!

I submit my time: N/A

That's right. I didn't actually do the race. And I'm winning this contest right now.

Applepieman
Member Avatar
Veteran
dagoss
Feb 27 2008, 05:58 PM
This challenge has been open for an entire month and not a single person has entered!

I submit my time: N/A

That's right. I didn't actually do the race. And I'm winning this contest right now.

Well guess what, my time: N/A

Looks like we tied.

Arch Evil
Member Avatar
Occasional Forum Lurker
Well, my time is also N/A, but I don't even OWN THE GAME... Does that mean I'm in the lead? <_>
Posted Image

Gaming Freak
Hardcore Gamer
Wow...this is just pathetic. Seriously, if nobody posts a new challenge in the next 24 hours I'll post a new one.

dagoss
Member Avatar
Smarty Pants
Gaming Freak
Mar 3 2008, 12:50 AM
Wow...this is just pathetic. Seriously, if nobody posts a new challenge in the next 24 hours I'll post a new one.

Why? You own this game (it's listed in your collection!), therefore you should participate. Unless you don't think you can beat my impressive time... !

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Old topic bumpage for this month's game of the month. :)

You can see from previous posts that Rogue Squadron was also one of our "challenge series" here at Nintendo 64 Forever back in 2008, although it got zero entries. :-8 ^_^ The challenge was to have been to see how quickly you could complete the Beggars Canyon race.

Shibbypod
Member Avatar
Established Member
Challenges? There is the competitive spirit! Although my goal is just simply to make it through the game this month (1080 was a bust for me, THPS2 was a time commitment but I made it), but this game is doable. We could just post some best times on certain missions, have our own little contest. Whoever has the most high scores or best times or something gets 2 votes for next months GOTM vote? Hey I'm just throwing ideas out there.
Ask me about: Smash, Wave Race, THPS2, Tetris
Retro gaming enthusiast and small time gamecube controller collector

Shibbypod
Member Avatar
Established Member
Well, I got the first 5 levels done, and I will admit this game is difficult if you are going for gold rankings! I could only get one, but I'll go back to try and get more later.

The controls in this game are really smooth. They are the way that you would want a flying and shooting game to be on the N64. My one complaint is that when turning around, it's so slow... They should have added a cool turn around move (like in starfox 64 for example)

I have only played for an hour or so but it has been pretty fun so far.
Ask me about: Smash, Wave Race, THPS2, Tetris
Retro gaming enthusiast and small time gamecube controller collector

markfall
Rapueda (retired)
Jan 22 2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, dataDyne.

This challenge is for your best time on the Beggar's Canyon race. If you haven't unlocked the level, go to the passcodes screen and type in DEADDACK. The level is found after the last regular mission, The Battle of Calamari, on the level select screen.

There are two routes through the canyon - the left and right. The left route is the easiest but longest. The right route is shorter but has a lot of tight turns.

Good luck! :)
Um, I win? I mean, it doesn't display your time or anything, and I'm the first with a gold medal from it sooooooo...... 8)

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I want to love Rogue Squadron but I constantly suffer from getting lost in 3D! As a NES-gen gamer, I guess I'm more used to the game telling me where to go (Journey to Silius) or giving me options in 2D space (Metroid). But the graphics, game play, voice acting are all great here, it's my mission completion times that aren't great. . . .So RS, it's not you, it's me. ^_^
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Wait . . . maybe it is you?? For whatever reason, I cannot seem to get the Radar overlay (top right corner) to display . . . now wonder I'm flying around w/o a clue where the action is.

Anyone know how to turn this on? (And yes, I checked the options screen that there does not seem to be a corresponding option; also reviewed manual online . . . no help). Maybe it is not available in certain camera views??

EDIT: Found it! The pause screen options have it. Wow, this makes things a bit easier....
Edited by bluedogrulez, Aug 11 2011, 04:53 AM.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

zar
Member Avatar
Wow, I was just playing this game for the first time in a long time and I didn't even know it was the game of the month.
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: