Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
New game cases
Topic Started: Jan 9 2010, 11:05 PM (961 Views)
Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Has anyone heard about the new cases that games (and also DVD movies) will be coming in? In an effort to cut down on plastic to be more environmentally friendly (read: save money), the cases will now have parts cut out of them. Here is a shot of a Wii case:

http://i50.tinypic.com/rk0kg7.jpg

Notice how plastic is now missing from the most important place, right behind the disk. It's entirely possible to accidentally scratch a game when handling the case, and there have been reports of the paper inserts tearing during shipment.

Of all the ways to cut back on material, this one has to be the worst idea ever. First of all, when I think of environmentalism, I generally think of creating less waste. These cases are not going to be thrown out, this is a product which should be built to last. Secondly, if companies are so concerned about using less materials, then why are these cases larger than the discs to begin with? Decreasing the size of the cases would not only use less plastic but also make for a sturdier case, not a weaker one like these.

Finally, there are other ways to save on material. The games and movies are still going to be wrapped in shrinkwrap which seems pretty unnecessary in this day and age. The biggest offender though, has to be game manuals. Why do these still come as a booklet? It would be beneficial to integrate them into the games themselves. When you first start a game, you could be asked if you'd like to read the manual first. It could then be accessed at any time, similar to how the operations manual for WiiWare games is available on the home menu.

These cases will have me even more weary of buying used games...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Jan 9 2010, 11:05 PM
Of all the ways to cut back on material, this one has to be the worst idea ever. First of all, when I think of environmentalism, I generally think of creating less waste.
Yeah but they use less plastic and multiply that by several million games and you have... well, you've saved quite a lot of plastic.

Mop_it_up

Secondly, if companies are so concerned about using less materials, then why are these cases larger than the discs to begin with? Decreasing the size of the cases would not only use less plastic but also make for a sturdier case, not a weaker one like these.
They won't do it though because Mr Dimwit Consumer would complain that he didn't know what games looked like anymore. I agree with you though, games cases (and DVD cases) are far too big. They should use PS3/BluRay sized cases, they seem to be the perfect solution; smaller but sturdy. As long as they don't go back to piece of crap jewel cases like CD's have.. they shatter if you look at them wrongly. >_< ^_^

Mop_it_up

Finally, there are other ways to save on material. The games and movies are still going to be wrapped in shrinkwrap which seems pretty unnecessary in this day and age.
Truth. But the sealed collectors/fraudsters on ebay will be appalled!

Mop_it_up

The biggest offender though, has to be game manuals. Why do these still come as a booklet? It would be beneficial to integrate them into the games themselves. When you first start a game, you could be asked if you'd like to read the manual first. It could then be accessed at any time, similar to how the operations manual for WiiWare games is available on the home menu.
Good plan, I like this idea. I don't think manuals are the biggest offenders though, printing is much more enviromentally friendly than producing plastic (I'm lead to believe) so the huge DVD boxes are a bigger issue, IMO.

Mop_it_up

These cases will have me even more weary of buying used games...
Apparently the cases are still quite sturdy, unless something sharp bursts them where the plastic has been removed. That said, it would leave a mark on standard cases anyway. In general, I don't think these cases are a big issue... but that's probably because I've got loads of spare standard cases anyway; I'll just swap them round.

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
There is more plastic used in microwave dinner trays than there is in these cases. Those trays are disposable, yet I don't see anyone coming up with ways to "poke holes" in them, so to speak.

I don't yet have any of these cases so I don't know about their durability. But I've heard people say they accidentally poked through them with their fingers so I'm worried about how much force is needed to puncture them. The funny thing is, I've already seen several people say they are buying blank cases to replace these; if everyone does that then these cases have successfully caused more plastic to be used creating cases. :facepalm:

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Jan 9 2010, 11:33 PM
But I've heard people say they accidentally poked through them with their fingers so I'm worried about how much force is needed to puncture them.
You need to be mistreating the game for the case to break. No doubt some of the douchebags that have been complaining were perfectly capable of breaking the old cases as well; I've seen plenty of busted game cases and some people just don't treat their stuff very well. :-/

There's a member of Mrs Alxbly's family that doesn't even use cases... just stacks discs up beside the DVD player/games console/on the floor/loose in cupboards, etc etc. Guess who never gets to borrow anything from me? And he wonders why... :lol:

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Have you come across any of these cases yet?

The only game I know which uses them is Final Fantasy Crystal Bearers on Wii. I don't own that yet, I was waiting for a price drop. I don't think I'll be going used...

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Mop_it_up
Jan 9 2010, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I've got a few DVD's which came in those cases. I don't have any games with hem, though. Or should I say... I don't yet. :mellow:

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
alxbly
Jan 9 2010, 11:50 PM
Mop_it_up
Yeah, I've got a few DVD's which came in those cases. I don't have any games with hem, though. Or should I say... I don't yet. :mellow:
I believe the 360 modern warfar e 2 came in one? The plastic was pretty flimsy and mine has already broke. I think alxblys idea with changing to bluray cases seems better then the cheap cases
Posted Image

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
spikie
Jan 10 2010, 04:40 AM
Mop_it_up
I believe the 360 modern warfar e 2 came in one?
Mine didn't. I've seen on other forums that some copies of Assassin's Creed were in the new style cases but mine wasn't either. Maybe I'm just lucky?

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Based off my pushing on the sides of the box (since I haven't opened them yet), Left 4 Dead 2 has this new style, and Bayonetta (360) doesn't(???). My copy of Underworld: Rise of the Lycans came with this new style box, and I gotta say... not a fan. Mainly because it's easier to ruin the cover art paper, by pushing on the sides, like I just did. >_< But I would never be so anal as to want to replace them with the regular kind.
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Gravity Rush 2, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Matt
Member Avatar
alxbly
Jan 10 2010, 10:25 AM
spikie
Jan 10 2010, 04:40 AM
Mop_it_up
I believe the 360 modern warfar e 2 came in one?
Mine didn't. I've seen on other forums that some copies of Assassin's Creed were in the new style cases but mine wasn't either. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Just checked and my AC and AC II cases are the old ones. I'm going to try replace my mw 2 one later
Posted Image

Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
Anyone who plans to get replacement cases might want to stock up on them now, as they might not be available soon. Reports are that replacement Wii cases ordered from Nintendo.com have already switched to being these "green" cases.

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
There's millions and milions of Wii and 360 game cases out there, and lots of crappy games that sell used for only a few $$$ or . I can't see there being a shortage any time soon unless you're absolutely determined to buy new. Even then, there are still old style cases being made by third parties (not games publishers but DVD case manufacturers; I've got a lot of "unofficial" 360 cases). Factor in that green and white cases are also used for DVD's as well and it pretty clear that there will be more than enough replacements for some time to come.

I can't say that I'm bothered enough about them to make a real effort to replace them, though.

Matt
Member Avatar
Just a FYI but the NTSC version of Guitar Hero Van Halen comes in one, I don't have acsess to a pal copy (Not Out Yet) but I'll post If it does
Posted Image

Ganondorf
Member Avatar
well i found out that when making these new xbox 360 cases it reduces Co2 by 31% and its cheaper to make so microsoft look green friendly and make more money :yeah:

still a good idea for the next console could be to go for a ds games box type ,strong and looks good :) .
Plato "wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something"

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
Ganondorf
Jan 28 2010, 03:52 AM
well i found out that when making these new xbox 360 cases it reduces Co2 by 31% and its cheaper to make so microsoft look green friendly and make more money :yeah:

Xbox games are green enough already! ^_^ >_< :facepalm:

Seriously though, Microsoft, Nintendo and DVD and Blu-ray disc manufacturers are all using them now... and I doubt they make much money from cases. If it does genuinely help the environment then fair play to them. :)

Also, since blu-ray is already on the eco band-wagon, expect to see some cut down PS3 cases sometime soon:

Posted Image

:yeah:

Matt
Member Avatar
My van halen case is different, instead of the recycling logo behind the manual there is another cut just like behind the disc, I'll post pics later
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply