Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Controller Reviews
Topic Started: Aug 7 2006, 05:16 PM (24,329 Views)
danny_galaga
Member Avatar
Ultraracer Review

Of sorts. What i've done is play every driving game i own that this is applicable to, to see how it fairs.

General thoughts:

While i really like the general set up of this there are a couple of niggles. The main one for me is the set button. This is directly below the Start button and can be hit by accident. Why couldn't they have made it recessed and a bit out of the way? The default for brakes is to push forward on the trigger, like on a radio control. But it isn't a very fast way of hitting the brakes here. The trigger itself is too stiff. I might try and pull mine apart and see if that can be changed.

Here are the results of my basic test. for the most part, i played each game using the default settings and the first vehicle to be offered. For instance the silver Devastator VI in Cruisin USA, Mario in Mario Kart. I played each game in auto and then manual if it has that option. Only the first three games have a manual option. I've given a rating on how well they suit the ultracer, rather than rating the ultracer itself. It seems that most games use at least one of the yellow C buttons to change views so if i haven't mentioned it, assume that to be the case.

RIDGE RACER. Works in auto and manual. Use trigger for throttle and brake. For manual the gears are mapped to the green and blue buttons. 5/5

CRUISIN USA. Works in auto and manual. Throttle and brake are green and blue buttons. Gears are yellow C buttons on steering wheel. Initially seems strange, but actually works ok since there are only 4 speeds and you don't have to work them a lot in this game. 4/5

BEETLE ADVENTURE RACING. Works in auto and manual. Use trigger for throttle and brake. For manual the gears are mapped to the green and blue buttons. 5/5

F-1 WORLD GRAND PRIX. Use trigger for throttle and brake. Yellow C buttons for driver view and rear views. 5/5

MARIO KART 64. Use trigger for throttle and brake. Right blue button for jump and bottom Green for fire. 4/5

ROAD RASH 64. Throttle is green button. Blue button does something with a mace (change weapons?). Throttle for wheelie and brake. Yellow C buttons for attack. Handles well, but fiddly with the bashing! 3/5

RE-VOLT. Use trigger for throttle and brake. Blue button to flip car. Green to fire. Yellow C buttons for driver view. 4/5

HYDRO THUNDER. Trigger is forward and reverse. Blue button is boost. Yellow C buttons for driver view. 5/5

EXTREME G. Trigger is fire and brake. Green button is throttle, Yellow C buttons are driver view and power ups/ boost. 3/5

My favourites to use this controller on are

Beetle adventure racing,
Ridge Racer,
Hydro Thunder and
Mario Kart.

Basically any of the games that have power ups etc take a hit ratings wise because it's a bit tricky hitting the buttons. The biggest improvement in play goes to F-1. That is an awful game in my opinion, but with the wheel at least you can improve SOMETHING! Re-volt you would think i would rate 5/5 seeing as how i've been comparing the ultracer to an R/C car control. But power ups take the edge off it.

Two games are a bit fiddly in the menus- Re-volt and Hydro Thunder. In fact for Hydro Thunder, to select a course i had to turn the wheel right while pulling the trigger, otherwise it kept going into 'config'! I still give it 5/5 though because it's the gameplay that counts.

Award for most improved by using this controller goes to

F-1 world grand prix
Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply