Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Why don't collectors care about N64?; It's kind of sad really...
Topic Started: Apr 3 2010, 04:47 PM (3,935 Views)
Mop it up
Member Avatar
Forum Urban Legend
I just came across a sealed copy of Battlezone, which is one of the more uncommon games released in North America. It has a Buy-it-now of $19 and no one has even touched it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battlezone-Rise-of-the-Black-Dogs-Nintendo-64-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ260579900536QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item3cabc5bc78

This seems like the kind of thing which collectors would be all over, as it's difficult to find even the box and manual for this game, let alone a sealed one. Yet here it is, for $19, with nobody interested in it. Why does there seem to be no real collectors' market for the Nintendo 64?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
There is a collectors market but Nintendo collectors (and not just in relation to the N64) tend to seek first party games and official accessories. With a handful of notable exceptions, third party games/accessories on Nintendo 64 have little demand and therefore relatively low value.

Deleted User
Deleted User

Trust me, it's better that collectors don't care about the Nintendo 64 as much as older systems. With the Nintendo 64, we have more oppertunities to snatch up rare and uncommon games and they are easier to find in general. Not only that, not a single Nintendo 64 game reguarly goes for over $200 on Ebay.
Quote Post Goto Top

Lord Suprachris
Established Member
It's not a bad thing for other collectors, as there's less demand, prices are lower :)

I have bought something like 10 SNES games on ebay in the last two years, as any single CIB game, even the crappiest ones, always go over the 10euros (+ shipping costs).
So, it's better for our budget there's a few people on them :)
Nintendo64EVER's Creator & Webmaster
N64 CIB PAL fullset : 242/242, completed on the 4th December 2009
N64 CIB US fullset : 46/298
N64 CIB JAP fullset : 121/214 (including bundles with accessories)
N64 CIB world variations fullset : 454/1529 (and still discovering new existing ones...)

danny_galaga
Member Avatar

I agree with the last two. I dig the N64, but not because it's a collectible, or investment. Since I like it anyway, it's great prices are pretty cheap for the most part. Most expensive game i want is Paper Mario. That goes for about $90, cart only here. Too much for me, but that's at the EXPENSIVE end of the scale...

ars2pd
Member Avatar
Nintendo 64 collecting is rising. The Not For Resale games are getting hot, the displays are becoming worth more, and the prices will eventually rise.

Look at the progression of Atari, NES, and SNES. Those that grew up with the N64 are still young, high school / college at best. The reason Atari and NES prices have good value and demand is because that generation is matured and has the money to spend. Atari prices have been decreasing (with an exception to the rare titles) and it is perceived that anything with a rarity of 5/10 and below will drop off in price, and everything above will hold steady prices.

The NES collecting scene is pretty mature, I can only see it going downhill from here. SNES has taken off, and is getting more and more expensive as time goes on.

I also think the N64 library is pretty easily attainable for the most part, and with that known many collectors take their time. It's one of the smallest Nintendo Libraries. There are games for the NES and SNES that I haven't seen for 2+ years show up for sale on ebay in nice shape. Examples of this are 3 Ninjas Kick Back for SNES, and Chubby Cherub for NES. However, it seems there is always a Complete copy of Sculptors cut that manages to show up every year.

Edited by ars2pd, Apr 18 2010, 02:06 PM.

james82
the prices in australia for games for n64 are more exspensive than any other retro system

Mario kart for 64 sells for $50 (aus) at game traders(2nd hand game store)

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
james82
May 7 2010, 11:30 AM
the prices in australia for games for n64 are more exspensive than any other retro system

Mario kart for 64 sells for $50 (aus) at game traders(2nd hand game store)

Game Traders are great, but their prices will reflect their overheads ( think it's $200,000 to buy a franchise). Mario Kart on ebay or oztion will be a lot less...

Deleted User
Deleted User

@ars2pd: That's something I need to keep in mind when searching on eBay for future Nintendo 64 games (When I get the system, argh, still haven't gotten one). I highly doubt we'll see N64 games in the millions, thought, as the rare games aren't super rare.
Quote Post Goto Top

danny_galaga
Member Avatar

You STILL haven't gotten an N64? They are cheap as chips, what are you waiting for?

Deleted User
Deleted User

danny_galaga
Jun 14 2010, 03:51 AM
You STILL haven't gotten an N64? They are cheap as chips, what are you waiting for?
For me to get a job. Luckily, my grandfather is here (He sent my application to Albertson). Hopefully, I can finally convince him that I am able to hold up a job. Rest assure that I have not forgotten about the Nintendo 64.
Quote Post Goto Top

RememberBodyHarvest?
Member Avatar
Established Member
Heck these people keep fighting ugh. Anyway heck no the n64 is a very poupler collecters item. You should check Finngammer channel on youtube. He has all U.S. games complete with game,box,manual and all and almost all the japnese games.So no collecters do care.
Posted Image

MarioLuigi25
Member Avatar
I think it's because they care more about the newer systems like the Xbox 360 and the PS3, which is really sad because they later forget all about the greatness and joy that the N64 gave :(
Nintendo is just a game company. It's a way of life.

Mario Bros. 4ever

MarioxPeach & LuigixDaisy 4ever!!!!!!!

Wrath Oskvro
Member Avatar
Established Member
Speaking of prices and collecting, the prices for a Sega Saturn is BULLCRAP. You can't get one in decent condition for less than $60. I bought my Saturn like 3 months ago (before it got hit by lightning :() for only $35 and it was in pristine condition. Frustrating..
Posted Image
VISIT MY SITE!!! http://wrath.digimantis.com

Alice Lawless
Member Avatar
N64 collection completed 7/29/12
All the electronics in my house (that were plugged in, and weren't connected to a surge protector) got fried last week during this spontaneous thunderstorm here in SC that only lasted several minutes. My house got hit IMMEDIATELY as it started. Like, everything was fine one second, then the next we hear a loud ass explosion and everything goes out. The TV, 360 (which I was using. It's toast now), AC units, fridge, phones, my one terrabyte external hard drive with my whole life backed up on it- everything. Luckily, the N64 (as well as all the other consoles except for the 360) was connected to the surge protector (which has blown after taking the impact, so another hit will fry everything as if it weren't even there), so I can still play that. What does this have to do with anything? Well I saw the post above me and it had everything to do with it at the time I started writing this.....
Facebook:
STIK ROSS
Posted Image
Posted Image
297/296 NTSC N64 [100%] (Zelda GOLD)
7/7 PAL N64 [100%]

Wrath Oskvro
Member Avatar
Established Member
I feel your pain, obviously. :P Yeah..It sucks horribly.
Posted Image
VISIT MY SITE!!! http://wrath.digimantis.com

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply